Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NMEA 0183 Networking Question:

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 09 Jun 2009 17:18 #1

• ChancesAre
  • ChancesAre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have a Furuno GP-36 GPS, a Furuno 4100 Fishfinder, and a JRC 1000 Radar that I would like to network using NMEA 0183. Is it a simple matter of deciding which ones talk to which other ones and just keeping the input/output and +/- straight while I run cable or do I need a a multiplexer or similar device to keep the signals straight?

In other words, I know how to make any two of them "talk" to each other, but what is the next step when you go to three or more devices?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 09 Jun 2009 17:52 #2

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
It is a simple matter of connecting the o183 output to the other instrument input. O183 is the marine version of RS 232C but not all equipment is capable of some of the sentences.

Larry

Larry

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 09 Jun 2009 18:48 #3

• bartc
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You only need a multiplexer if you have two or more "talkers" going to one single input port. The multiplexer sends the various sentences in sequence, thus avoiding that the sentences from two or more "talkers" are received simultaneously by one port. You do not need a multiplexer if one "talker" goes to input ports of several instruments.

Bart
'89 3818
San Leandro, CA

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 09 Jun 2009 21:52 #4

• seaeagle2
I find it's easiest to draw a picture and write down the wire colors. I'm assuming and I may be way wrong, that you'll use the furno gps as the output (talker) and the other stuff as the input (listeners). I've always just gone from the gps to the radio, so I don't know if you would run two sets of output from the gps, or if you can go out from the gps into the radar, then out from the radar into fishfinder, but I'll bet some one else does.

1802 Trophy 115 4 stoke Mercaha
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 10 Jun 2009 09:58 #5

• cmagic99
When I wanted to connect my NMEA 0183 output from my Raymarine C70 MFD, which was already connected to my VHF radio for DSC operations, to my Floscan Twinscans to get nmpg, I simply spliced into the NMEA + and - appropriately going to the VHF. Worked like a champ the first try. One talker to multiple listeners -> no multiplexer. Multiple talkers to one or more listeners -> multiplexer.

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 10 Jun 2009 11:18 #6

• ModMMax
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I am coming to the end of an electronics refit using Furuno Navnet 3D equipment. Last year I installed floscans with the NEMA 183 inputs for MPG intel. I am now told that the Furuno Navnet 3D equipment will not talk to the floscan guages. Nice. The Furuno rep will be on board on Thurs to help the marina complete the configuration steps. If what I am hearing about the floscan thing is true, he is going to get a blast.

NMEA 0183 Networking Question: 10 Jun 2009 14:12 #7

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Alvin, NavNet 3D is on an Ethernet network, so you can add as many other components as you want. It's compatible with NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 and can share across the Ethernet network. You should be fine.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds