Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 07 Jun 2009 04:48 #1

• carpediem
  • carpediem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We've just completed our rennovation. We had some issues: she kept kicking out of gear when we tried to go over 2500 rpm. We thought it was the cable adjustments, but it wasn't. Then we thought it was a spun prop or bad hub, so we bought a new one...and still the same problem. We took her to Athens Marine and they said the engine coupler was bad, so they replaced it. (And it was bad, chunks of rubber, etc...) They fixed the kicking out of gear problem.

She now doesn't kick out of gear, but we can't get her to go over 2500 rpm in the water. It's like she's dragging a big hunk of concrete behind us! She can't plane. The highest speed we reached was 17 mph - and that was on flat water and all the kids at the front of the boat. If the kids come to the back of the boat, or we hit waves, she slows down.

No grinding, smells, or smoke. And the engine runs completely fine in neutral. In neutral she'll rev to 4000+ and sounds good.

All lines, hoses, and wires are new. The engine was just rebuilt. Along with all new filters etc... we also replaced the solenoid, fuel filter, and fuel pump. Our prop is a 15-17.

Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1988 Bayliner, 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
305 OMC, 5.0 L. Cobra
Hope for the future, don't live in the past, live for today and make today last.
Don't wallow in misery, or drown in your pain, live your life NOW and you'll have life to gain!
Carpe Diem!

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 07 Jun 2009 15:10 #2

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Possibilities include hull is not clean... operator error such as drive is tilted out when it should be all the way "in". Throttle linkage adjustment, are the throttle plates full open when the throttle in at max?

Blue Highways
93 2452

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 07 Jun 2009 16:09 #3

• carpediem
The hull is spotless. See the image. She's been out of the water for the last 6 years - at least.
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/305811=6624-CarpeDiem A.jpg .

305 OMC, 5.0 L. Cobra
Hope for the future, don't live in the past, live for today and make today last.
Don't wallow in misery, or drown in your pain, live your life NOW and you'll have life to gain!
Carpe Diem!

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:00 #4

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
Check timing.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:03 #5

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
Yup. Check the timing. Just ebcause the engine was rebuilt doesnt mean it was done right.

Check to ensure your ignition parts are specific to your engine too. Thats a high 30 mph boat and it should plane within 6 seconds.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:07 #6

• carpediem
Sorry for the kurt reply above, we were on our way out to the lake again and I was holding up the family... If I didn't cut it short I'd miss the boat - literally!

Yesterday we played around with the trim, and the trim tabs, but those offered little or no help. Per your suggestion, we looked and the throttle plates are opening fully. The only thing that helped was to have the kids up in the front of the boat. Then she gained about 2 mph...

We haven't played around with the cables since we got her back from having the engine coupler replaced. The mechanic said he adjuster her cables and all was well... Should we play around with these again?

Another thing that was happening yesterday: she kept dying when we were on low idle. We towed another boat in (they ran out of gas) and once we let them go we had to keep restarting her multiple times. We had to turn ourselves around and going between forward and reverse she kept dying. I don't know if this has anything to do with the other??

We've been told to try a stainless steel prop. We were told that with the upgrades we did to our engine that it's causing too much flex in our aluminum prop. Could this be the issue? Or a part of it? We were also just told to go to a 15-10? We're currently at 15-17 (the recommended stock prop from Bayliner).

We're not looking for her to race, we'd just like to get her out of the hole and up on a plane.

Please help?!?!

305 OMC, 5.0 L. Cobra
Carpe Diem!

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:20 #7

• cowboyshootist
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Do you have the correct prop for your engine configuration? My Bayliner 245 would rev above recommended RPMs but wouldn't go fast at all. Put the right prop on her and revs and speed are right on the money.

Also, could you have bad gas or a clogged fuel line? Maybe some of the cylinders are not firing or don't have proper compression.

Sincerely,
Tony C
2009 Bayliner 340
Southern Jewelle
Everett, WA

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:20 #8

• jwishart

carpediem;306208 wrote: Sorry for the kurt reply above, we were on our way out to the lake again and I was holding up the family... If I didn't cut it short I'd miss the boat - literally!

Yesterday we played around with the trim, and the trim tabs, but those offered little or no help. Per your suggestion, we looked and the throttle plates are opening fully. The only thing that helped was to have the kids up in the front of the boat. Then she gained about 2 mph...

We haven't played around with the cables since we got her back from having the engine coupler replaced. The mechanic said he adjuster her cables and all was well... Should we play around with these again?

Another thing that was happening yesterday: she kept dying when we were on low idle. We towed another boat in (they ran out of gas) and once we let them go we had to keep restarting her multiple times. We had to turn ourselves around and going between forward and reverse she kept dying. I don't know if this has anything to do with the other??

We've been told to try a stainless steel prop. We were told that with the upgrades we did to our engine that it's causing too much flex in our aluminum prop. Could this be the issue? Or a part of it? We were also just told to go to a 15-10? We're currently at 15-17 (the recommended stock prop from Bayliner).

We're not looking for her to race, we'd just like to get her out of the hole and up on a plane.

Please help?!?!

Timing is a good thing to look at first. Also, make sure that all of your cylinders are firing.

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 14:45 #9

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
Check the timing. It's one thing that can make a boat seem to run perfectly but have no power. Make sure you follow the timing procedure in the manual, which is one reason so many boats don't have proper timing (people not doing it right, assuming it's like a car).

We've been told to try a stainless steel prop.

This is what you do on a perfectly-running boat to get more speed, better handling, and improve fuel economy. You don't do this to fix a problem.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 15:15 #10

• carpediem
We'll check the timing. The mechanic who did the rebuild of the motor was a marine mechanic but we ended up with a lot of issues (they were very unorganized, someone broke into their lot and slept in our boat while they had it, they ruined my newly installed carpet, they tried to buff the boat and knicked her in several places, charged us for a rebuilt carb but didn't even change the seal, etc... Yes, we had issues!) My husband was too busy to do the engine work himself so he reluctantly let a shop do it, and boy did we regret it!

I guess that saying is right: if you want something done right, you'd better do it yourself!

We'll check the timing. Thank you everyone for your help. You've made this project so much easier!

305 OMC, 5.0 L. Cobra
Carpe Diem!

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 18:34 #11

• spiritgreenville

carpediem;306263 wrote: We'll check the timing. The mechanic who did the rebuild of the motor was a marine mechanic but we ended up with a lot of issues (they were very unorganized, someone broke into their lot and slept in our boat while they had it, they ruined my newly installed carpet, they tried to buff the boat and knicked her in several places, charged us for a rebuilt carb but didn't even change the seal, etc... Yes, we had issues!) My husband was too busy to do the engine work himself so he reluctantly let a shop do it, and boy did we regret it!

I guess that saying is right: if you want something done right, you'd better do it yourself!

We'll check the timing. Thank you everyone for your help. You've made this project so much easier!

Let me know when you get this bug figured out since we seem to be in the same boat...

1987 Bayliner 2155
Volvo 4 banger with Volvo outdrive
"Livin' Wright"
Washington, NC
In a land full of sheep, it's nice to be the lion.

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 18:42 #12

• havelockguy
i hope my 2455 doesnt have any of these problems it runs fine on my trailer but in the water is a different story.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
- Douglas Adams
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when...

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 19:25 #13

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

carpediem;306263 wrote: We'll check the timing. The mechanic who did the rebuild of the motor was a marine mechanic but we ended up with a lot of issues (they were very unorganized, someone broke into their lot and slept in our boat while they had it, they ruined my newly installed carpet, they tried to buff the boat and knicked her in several places, charged us for a rebuilt carb but didn't even change the seal, etc... Yes, we had issues!) My husband was too busy to do the engine work himself so he reluctantly let a shop do it, and boy did we regret it!

Sounds to me like the mechanic f***ed up your boat. One thing I have found is that they may say they are marine mechanics, but they are the most disorganized, downright STUPID people on the face of the earth.

Lets back up:

1. Did you get the carb corrected? This is KEY. It was one thing that was changed. You stated it wasn't done properly. What ELSE wasn't done properly? If I were in your shoes, I would REPLACE the carb at this point to be sure you have a known-good carb on there. Then make sure the throttle cable is opening the plate all the way. This will verify you are getting full throttle.

At this point, may as well verify the engine is healthy. Do a compression test, do a full tuneup using parts specified in the OMC manual, and change all fluids. It sounds expensive and repetitive, but at this point you need a KNOWN baseline to test off of. Your mechanic's word is no longer good enough.

2. Once you have verified full throttle, retime the boat, per the manual.

3. The boat should shift with fingertip effort. If it is going in and out of gear smoothly and easilly, the cables are fine.

If the boat still won't plane after all this, the engine is the problem.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 08 Jun 2009 19:26 #14

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

havelockguy;306387 wrote: i hope my 2455 doesnt have any of these problems it runs fine on my trailer but in the water is a different story.

Your boat will be directly dependent on who owned it before you, what they did to it, and how competant the mechanic was.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 10 Jun 2009 05:26 #15

• carpediem

Download_Complete;306413 wrote: Sounds to me like the mechanic f***ed up your boat. One thing I have found is that they may say they are marine mechanics, but they are the most disorganized, downright STUPID people on the face of the earth.

Lets back up:

1. Did you get the carb corrected? This is KEY. It was one thing that was changed. You stated it wasn't done properly. What ELSE wasn't done properly? If I were in your shoes, I would REPLACE the carb at this point to be sure you have a known-good carb on there. Then make sure the throttle cable is opening the plate all the way. This will verify you are getting full throttle.

At this point, may as well verify the engine is healthy. Do a compression test, do a full tuneup using parts specified in the OMC manual, and change all fluids. It sounds expensive and repetitive, but at this point you need a KNOWN baseline to test off of. Your mechanic's word is no longer good enough.

2. Once you have verified full throttle, retime the boat, per the manual.

3. The boat should shift with fingertip effort. If it is going in and out of gear smoothly and easilly, the cables are fine.

If the boat still won't plane after all this, the engine is the problem.

Immediately upon discovering the carb issue my husband replaced it. Thank goodness! And boy was he P!$$&@!

Once we discovered the issues I stated previously, we took the boat from the shop and my husband completed the work. He replaced the solenoid, fuel pump, plugs, filters, etc... and gave it a tune-up. Just to make sure he did everything correctly, we had Athens Marine (this time actual marine mechanics) check everthing when they replaced the engine coupler...and all was fine. (I kind of insulted them when I gave them copies of the OMC service manual - and suggested they use it to make sure it was done to spec. I know, I was being kind of a pushy B!#$% but after what we went through with the previous shop, do you blame me?) This shop was very helpful and their head mechanic seemed to really know what he was talking about. Not like the other yohoo's we dealt with.

We're going to check everything again. Especially the throttle plate issue. We'll keep you updated as to the progess.

305 OMC, 5.0 L. Cobra
Carpe Diem!

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 10 Jun 2009 12:36 #16

• spiritgreenville

carpediem;307275 wrote: Immediately upon discovering the carb issue my husband replaced it. Thank goodness! And boy was he P!$$&@!

Once we discovered the issues I stated previously, we took the boat from the shop and my husband completed the work. He replaced the solenoid, fuel pump, plugs, filters, etc... and gave it a tune-up. Just to make sure he did everything correctly, we had Athens Marine (this time actual marine mechanics) check everthing when they replaced the engine coupler...and all was fine. (I kind of insulted them when I gave them copies of the OMC service manual - and suggested they use it to make sure it was done to spec. I know, I was being kind of a pushy B!#$% but after what we went through with the previous shop, do you blame me?) This shop was very helpful and their head mechanic seemed to really know what he was talking about. Not like the other yohoo's we dealt with.

We're going to check everything again. Especially the throttle plate issue. We'll keep you updated as to the progess.

please do.

1987 Bayliner 2155
Volvo 4 banger with Volvo outdrive
"Livin' Wright"
Washington, NC
In a land full of sheep, it's nice to be the lion.

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 10 Jun 2009 14:09 #17

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Also, are you running electronic ignition?

I ask because when I converted to electronic ignition, the module I ended up with was bad from the manufacturer. It allowed us to set base timing, but not TAT. End result was pinging and not able to get on plane.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Help! Bayliner 2455 not going above 2500 RPM 10 Jun 2009 14:20 #18

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

carpediem;306263 wrote: We'll check the timing.

Check not only BASE advance, but have someone check to see what your engine's TAT is doing (total advance timing).
I'd suggest an ole school strobe type light allowing you to see the advance in real time, in real degrees on your harmonic balancer.
(see your OEM specs for this TA as long as the engine is built to OEM specs..... vary this accordingly ONLY. )

Your WOT RPM test is basically invalid until the engine is running like it should be. You will not be able to prop the boat until this is done.
Do not discount the importance of either.

Yes, on a 24 with a 5.0L, the kids may need to be forward to keep the stern weight from her.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds