Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bennett Automatic Trim Tab Controls work like a charm!

Bennett Automatic Trim Tab Controls work like a charm! 26 Sep 2017 11:32 #1

• MonteVista
  • MonteVista's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
I finished doing extensive tests on the ATC 3000 system which I added on my boat's existing manual trim tab control system. All I can say is that this thing works like a dream! I start the boat using manual trim tab controls and bring the tabs all the way down and push the lever forward for a speedy hole shot. When I reach plane I activate the ATC. It immediately reduces the about of trim and controls the two sides separately, as necessary, to balance the boat for the given weight and sea conditions. Once boat becomes stable I lift the drive trim up to my pre-determined optimum level. The ATC adjusts the trim tabs to compensate for the drive trim. I adjust my speed (rpm) to the pre-determined optimum position as indicated by my Merc Monitor that also shows my drive trim and indicates how it should be set for optimum fuel consumption. When all is said and done the boat runs at about 23mph with a fuel burn of 1.8 mpg; This is the the best I had ever achieved.

I am very satisfied with the ATC 3000 and would recommend that to all my fellow captains.

Enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Bennett Automatic Trim Tab Controls work like a charm! 26 Sep 2017 14:00 #2

• ultrafast
  • Thank you received: 0
I completely concur with the Trim Tabs. Although I didnt buy the automatic, trim tabs made my boat a dream to drive. I have a 20' Trophy and its rough water performance is less than stellar. I put the Bennett Sport tabs on mine then added 3" S.S. plates to lengthen more. By far the best mod to date.

1997 20 WA

Bennett Automatic Trim Tab Controls work like a charm! 27 Sep 2017 00:24 #3

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Thank you received: 94

MonteVista wrote: I finished doing extensive tests on the ATC 3000 system which I added on my boat's existing manual trim tab control system. All I can say is that this thing works like a dream! I start the boat using manual trim tab controls and bring the tabs all the way down and push the lever forward for a speedy hole shot. When I reach plane I activate the ATC. It immediately reduces the about of trim and controls the two sides separately, as necessary, to balance the boat for the given weight and sea conditions. Once boat becomes stable I lift the drive trim up to my pre-determined optimum level. The ATC adjusts the trim tabs to compensate for the drive trim. I adjust my speed (rpm) to the pre-determined optimum position as indicated by my Merc Monitor that also shows my drive trim and indicates how it should be set for optimum fuel consumption. When all is said and done the boat runs at about 23mph with a fuel burn of 1.8 mpg; This is the the best I had ever achieved.

I am very satisfied with the ATC 3000 and would recommend that to all my fellow captains.

Enjoy!

Thanx for the detailed review. I've been waiting for feedback on this system.

Do you believe they provide better performance than manually making the control inputs yourself?

Sea Venture
2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
Cruising the PNW and beyond.
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Kirk :)
Drinks well with others. ;)

Bennett Automatic Trim Tab Controls work like a charm! 27 Sep 2017 07:32 #4

• MonteVista
  • MonteVista's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
Yes, they perform better than manual, at least in my case. The issue is not only side to side balance but also how much to bring the tabs down. I reset the ATC after I reach the plane and it saves the attitude that I have chosen. On my boat this is achieved often with the tabs down by a lot. Once I turn the ATC on I notice that it lifts the tabs up sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. This improves my fuel consumption. Now, I put the tabs down (manually) to reach planing as soon as possible. I then ease the throttle to achieve optimum speed/rpm and turn the ATC on. It takes over and gives me a perfect ride. At that point I also bring the drive trim up to about 3.7 on my smartcraft scale. ATC responds by adjusting the tabs slightly and I cruise in optimum fashion.

Even when I enter into a sharp, long turn at speed and the boat lists towards the turn direction ATC adjusts the tabs so that the turn happens with a more gentle listing of the boat.

Enjoy!

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
Last Edit: by MonteVista.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds