Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 08:44 #1

• Catfishangler
  • Catfishangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi All,

A couple of months ago, I purchased a 1984 Bayliner Trophy Center Console boat to replace a smaller boat as my catfishing rig. The layout of the boat makes it perfect for my application. I tackled the obvious problems first; Installing new gauges, a trolling motor, and redoing some wiring. I was excited to get the boat out onto the water.

I've had it out 3 times now, and the stern of the boat rides low in the water. I originally thought it was just the design of the boat, but after Friday night's adventure (Long story) I've come to the conclusion that I'm suffering from waterlogged foam. Here are the symptoms that I am basing my decision on:
  • Boat has persistent drip from drain plug
  • Stern of boat rides LOW in water (scuppers below water line)
  • When launching boat, water comes over the transom into the splashwell
  • When a couple of adults + gear is in the rear of the boat, the stern sits low enough to allow water to enter the hole where the steering cable/fuel line passes through

On Friday evening I overran a portable livewell I had placed into the rear of the boat. I ended up having to return to the ramp and trailer the boat to drain it out. I ended up just going home for the evening.

On Saturday afternoon, I took a look through the hatch in the rear of the boat that allows access to the fuel tank. I noticed a LOT of wet wood pieces. I had not seen those before I overran the boat. Maybe I just got enough water in the back to float off stuff that was already rotten. I've pulled a lot of this out by hand.

I've been doing a ton of reading here and at some other forums. Everything seems to be sending me to the same conclusion... Wet Foam and probably time for new stringers.

My questions for the forum:

1. Do the above-listed symptoms sound like wet foam?
2. Is it easier to separate the two halves of the hull or cut the floor? (I've seen it done both ways now)

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, but that should get me started. I've also attached a picture of the boat for reference. It's an 18' center console.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Current Boats:
1980 Champion Bass Boat with 1984 Mercury 200HP Black Max V6 - My Baby. It'll be with me until I die or it does.
1984 Bayliner Trophy - 18' with Mariner 115 Inline 6 Cylinder - Catfishing rig (And pleasure boating rig if you ask my wife)
Last Edit: by Catfishangler. Reason: Wrong model year entered at 3am when I was typing this thread.

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 14:50 #2

• Catfishangler
Well, I decided to go exploring when I got off of work this morning. I drilled a couple of small exploratory holes figuring I could seal them up if everything ended up dry.

Big shock (Not Really) the foam is SOAKED... Soaked as in water was flowing out of the hole before I had finished drilling it. I also tipped the bow of the boat up high this morning after having let the boat set in a semi-elevated position overnight. (When I got home I tipped boat high to allow bilge to drain) Take note that we have not had any rain in days, and the boat had been drained "completely" upon returning from the lake. When I put the trailer jack back up on the cinder block I use to allow the boat to drain easily, water again came gushing out.. It probably drained for a good 3 minutes and continues to have a persistent drip.

I guess that explains why my boat is sitting so low in the water. I almost feel relieved that at least I know what's causing the problem now, even though this is surely going to be a PITA.

Now for the fun part: How to get the foam out.

I always search for a fall/winter project since I don't hit the water much during that time of the year... I guess I found it, or it has found me.. however you want to look at it. The good news is my wife really likes this boat and is supportive of getting it fixed up. I am going to talk to the local boat repair place this week and see about getting a quote for removal of the foam since he'd have the facilities and experience to do it.

If anyone is in the boat repair industry, could you give me a ballpark figure of what I'd be looking at to have a pro do this?

I'd still appreciate any comments, advice, or even words of encouragement.

Thanks.

Current Boats:
1980 Champion Bass Boat with 1984 Mercury 200HP Black Max V6 - My Baby. It'll be with me until I die or it does.
1984 Bayliner Trophy - 18' with Mariner 115 Inline 6 Cylinder - Catfishing rig (And pleasure boating rig if you ask my wife)
Last Edit: by Catfishangler.

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 15:30 #3

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Welcome! Soaked foam is as you correctly identified, a PITA. An interior shot would help me as I'm not familiar with that particular model. However, any work you can do like removing the motor, battery, console, etc will be money ahead. In the Pacific Northwest labor rates run anywhere from $75 an hour at a very low to the very proud $200 an hour.
Insist on marine grade fir plywood for any deck or transom replacement.
Good luck and keep us up to date.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 16:12 #4

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sequim, WA
  • Thank you received: 154
Welcome to BOC!

I replaced the foam in an OLD FiberForm. Yes, a PITA, but mine was an even bigger one as there was water AND fuel in the foam. I bought the boat for $500 to use for crabbing. Total cost was about $1000. For your boat, it would be worth it. For me, it was some very good learning, but something I am reluctant to ever do again!

PS: I removed the photos to give you your thread back once you'd had a chance to look at what I'd done.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 17:16 #5

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
You sure it's foam and not wood mush?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 17:35 #6

• Catfishangler
It's foam, I pulled some out.

Current Boats:

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 17:37 #7

• Catfishangler
Here are some pics of the boat. I'll post a couple more in just a few moments. I know it's not related to the thread, but take note of how the helm looks in this set of pics. You'll see what I was able to do in the next set.

This message has attachments images.

Current Boats:

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 17:50 #8

• Catfishangler
First picture is of the exploratory hole I drilled. The green is from the hole saw I was using.. it got very hot when drilling through the stringer. The plug of the stringer I pulled out of the hole saw was dry as a cob... so maybe I'll get lucky and the stringers won't be completely rotted? Next two pics are layout of the boat from the rear. 3rd pic is the helm I made to replace the one that came with the boat.

This message has attachments images.

Current Boats:

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 20:21 #9

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sequim, WA
  • Thank you received: 154

Catfishangler wrote: First picture is of the exploratory hole I drilled. The green is from the hole saw I was using.. it got very hot when drilling through the stringer. The plug of the stringer I pulled out of the hole saw was dry as a cob... so maybe I'll get lucky and the stringers won't be completely rotted? Next two pics are layout of the boat from the rear. 3rd pic is the helm I made to replace the one that came with the boat.

Wow! Beautiful work! Very professional!

Adding another boat buck this this one should be a no-brainer. Please keep us apprised of your progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catfishangler

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 24 Sep 2017 21:22 #10

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Hard to see on my little phone but kinda looks like epoxy was injected into the area where you used the hole saw maybe???

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 25 Sep 2017 05:23 #11

• Catfishangler

builderdude wrote: Hard to see on my little phone but kinda looks like epoxy was injected into the area where you used the hole saw maybe???

If you're referring to the green, the coloration came from my hole saw.. Every time I drill through fiberglass with it, it gets hot and loses more of its green paint.

Current Boats:

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 25 Sep 2017 05:32 #12

• Catfishangler

CptCrunchie wrote: Wow! Beautiful work! Very professional!

Adding another boat buck this this one should be a no-brainer. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Thank you. I definitely will. I was overwhelmed at first, but after only an afternoon of reading, it appears this will be a manageable, though labor-intensive, project. Looks like it's more of a sticky, nasty mess than it is difficult.. I can handle a mess.

I found a thread where someone did their 1988 Bayliner Trophy and documented it step by step. When my wife asked what was involved with this project, I let her look through that thread. This was at a point where I wasn't 100% sure about undertaking this. She looked over the thread and said, "Hmm.. doesn't seem too bad." I think I have my helper. Also, I've got a couple of friends who used to work for the Crownline boat factory in the next town over years ago. They've offered help / advice if I do this. It looks like I've found my fall/winter project, or maybe it found me.

I'll be documenting this the entire step of the way and will likely be putting videos up where I can on my YouTube fishing channel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

Current Boats:

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 25 Sep 2017 18:33 #13

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
You should read JK Bisson's thread in Completed Projects
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/c...acement?limitstart=0

Yup, he got serious. And he was removing rotted transom wood... But it gives you an idea on what a boat lover will do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catfishangler

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

1984 Bayliner Trophy Wet Foam 26 Sep 2017 09:06 #14

• Catfishangler

Alaskanmutt wrote: You should read JK Bisson's thread in Completed Projects
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/c...acement?limitstart=0

Yup, he got serious. And he was removing rotted transom wood... But it gives you an idea on what a boat lover will do.

Thank You! I'll read that right now!

Current Boats:
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds