Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shower Drain

Shower Drain 22 Sep 2017 15:20 #1

• Car2n
  • Car2n's Avatar Topic Author
  • Avanti 2955
  • Thank you received: 10
Just as I've long suspected, my shower is draining into the hull. It's so full of nasty water that the bow is sitting low because of all the water gathered up front.
I need to know how the drain comes out of the shower. Please see the attached picture.
To me it looks like there isn't even a hose attached.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wet'ever
1989 Avanti 2955
460 King Cobra

Shower Drain 22 Sep 2017 15:29 #2

• green650
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
There is a large threaded nut on the back side. They can usually be sourced at your local hardware store. As for the pump, mine wasn't working so I replaced it with a bilge pump/plastic box set up I got on eBay for around $60. It works 10 times better because it has a float level just like your bilge pump, and it only kicks on when it needs to unlike the normal shower pump that is always humming in buzzing very loud whenever you turn it on.
www.ebay.com/i/282474117778

Shower Drain 22 Sep 2017 16:14 #3

• Car2n
  • Avanti 2955
I've confirmed that there is no hose connected to the drain. I am able to get a flashlight under the shower and the light does shine up through the drain.
From the looks of things, I need to remove the wooden/carpet steps assembly alone with the wall in the aft cabin to get access to the backside and underside of the shower.
Any hints as to where hidden screws may be? I've found a few but not all because there's something still holding the stair assembly in place.

Wet'ever
1989 Avanti 2955
460 King Cobra

Shower Drain 22 Sep 2017 16:24 #4

• Ahaua
  • Thank you received: 11
Keep an eye on this shower sump box as well. I had installed a brand new Johnson shower sump around April of this year, and recently discovered that the electromagnetic float switch had stopped working properly....so the box was leaking into the bilge, as it's not a sealed system. The fix was easy; simply replaced the float switch. I'm planning on installing a couple of high water bilge alarms as a back up to routinely checking my bilges.

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's

Shower Drain 22 Sep 2017 22:23 #5

• Car2n
  • Avanti 2955
A previous owner dug their way into the underside of the shower and removed the elbow or connection to the drain. The hose is just laying there and the drain is wide open to the hull.
Why would anyone do such a thing? I cannot believe it.
It wasn't even draining to the forward bilge pump because it was wired incorrectly too.

Wet'ever
1989 Avanti 2955
460 King Cobra

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 04:23 #6

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 616
Some older Bayliners like yours do not have space for a shower sump box. The factory installation consisted of an in-line pump connected to the shower drain. A switch in the shower area turned the pump on and it ran constantly while a shower was in use.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 14:23 #7

• Car2n
  • Avanti 2955

Norton Rider wrote: Some older Bayliners like yours do not have space for a shower sump box. The factory installation consisted of an in-line pump connected to the shower drain. A switch in the shower area turned the pump on and it ran constantly while a shower was in use.

Yes, that is the setup I have.
But someone in the past unhooked the hose from the drain. I cannot fathom why anyone would do such a thing.
All hooked back up now and draining as it should.

Wet'ever
1989 Avanti 2955
460 King Cobra

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 14:46 #8

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Here is what happened in mine. Apperently the previous owner didn't winterize the shower hose and the elbow cracked when it froze. ( you should pour antifreeze down the shower drain to winterize) The water then just drained into the bilge.

However that didn't matter because he had unhooked the hose to the diaphragm pump and it was drawing into the bilge anyway. He probably didn't like listening to the pump while showering.

Here was my fix maybe it will help.

First i couldnt get to the drain tube because the way it was constructed bayliner allowed for zero access to the shower drain. I ground out the drain from inside shower then I 5200 in a new drain. Remember I can't get to the nut.

I glued in the new drain with tube in with 5200 then I added a Johnson shower drain but I had to add a mounting bunk in the bilge so it can sit level. It was a bit of work but it will be better in the end. I can post picks if you like.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 15:07 #9

• hfxjack
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Yes please pics.

John McLellan White Rock BC
"Halifax Jack"
1999 2855 383 stroker BII
MMSI 316004337

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 15:48 #10

• floatyerboat
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 93
I would try to fill the bilge to the to of the soap scum with a good bilge cleaner and water if you can. Fixing the problem is one thing but once the leak is fixed and the bad area drys out you could have mold problems and the soap scum could start eating away metals , wood or rubber.
If the store sells a few different bilge cleaners I'd pass on the eco friendly stuff for a job like this.

Dan
Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
Claudia V. III
1988 - 3218
Gas Drives
Last Edit: by floatyerboat.

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 19:06 #11

• Hamnavoe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2
When we bought our 3288 a few months back, the drain fitting was corroded to powder, and the hose sitting unconnected below the hole. Still not found a compatible fitting, as the 70mm hole does not match any European fitting. If I am not creative soon she will divorce me ....

A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
Blustery Day
Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
Purchased 23 February 2017

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 23:13 #12

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here are the pics of my fix. Keep in mind it's a almost 40 year old boat . Also the fix is not structural so I would have prepped it more had it been so.

I also added a new and larger water heater as you can see I had to enlarge the water heater bunk some. Went from a 4 gallon to a 11 gallon.

This is what the drain looked like but this is a picture of after I glued it in. I had a second drain from another shower pan I used. That is why it doesn't look new.

What the bottom.of the drain looked like ( from another shower pan I had) you will see from the pictures of the bilge that there was no way to get to this drain. You can see that the drain elbow is cracked broken as was the one that was in the boat. From lack of proper winterizing

New shower drain bed shim support

The new shower drain bed and.on the right is where I increased the size of water heater bunk

This message has attachments images.

Twin chevy 350's

Shower Drain 23 Sep 2017 23:20 #13

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ooppps forgot the drain cut out pics.
First I cut the drain flange off

Then I pulled the old drain out.

The new shkwer.drain sump

I still had to clean up hoses and wiring at the time of this picture but the new.shower sump and water heater are installed. At the same time also added a new 40 gallon black water tank an electric toilet and a new starboard gas tank and bunk.

This repair / upgrade.wasnt much fun as I spent many many hours laying down in a 2 x2 foot space 're wiring replumbing sanding and gassing.

This message has attachments images.

Twin chevy 350's
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds