• Page:

TOPIC: Lost Comm. with Engine fault caused by fire extinguisher

Lost Comm. with Engine fault caused by fire extinguisher 14 Sep 2017 23:38 #1

• MonteVista
  • MonteVista's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
I recently had to remove my engine to replace the coupler for the B3 drive. We had to remove the batteries and the fire extinguisher in the engine compartment. After we put the engine and the batteries back, made all the connections we did not install the fire extinguisher in the engine compartment as it needed to be refilled. We then tried to start to engine but nothing about the engine seemed to work. The Smart Craft gauges on the dashboard kept on flashing "Lost Comm. with Engine" alarm and the engine did not crank. At some point we guessed and connected the fire extinguisher and, vila, all started to work. It seems that the electrical connection to the automatic fie extinguisher in the engine compartment is in series with the engine communications and if that connection is broken, so is the engine communications.

May be others knew about this but I certainly did not. I didn't even read about it any where.

Just be aware,\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Lost Comm. with Engine fault caused by fire extinguisher 15 Sep 2017 02:04 #2

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622
Good to know.

Also, don't forget to remove the safety pin, if any, from the fire bottle after you install it. In my years of doing Vessel Safety checks I've come across 2 boats that still had the safety pin installed on the bottle. In both cases manual actuation would not have been possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds