Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 04 Sep 2017 23:39 #1

• Three
  • Three's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a 2012 bayliner 175 with the mercruiser 3.0 earlier this year and have been using it without issue up until today. I had it out last weekend and didn't have any problems starting it several times throughout the day. Today I got it in the water and went to start it and it just made a clicking noise. The battery was new last year and I turn it off after every use. I tested the battery with a multimeter and it read 12.7 volts. I sanded/cleaned the connections from the battery to the starter solenoid and also the negative connection to the starter solenoid. The boat still wouldn't start and just made a clicking noise. Not a single click but a continuous clicking while trying to start the boat. I thought maybe the solenoid could be bad so I tried jumping it with a screwdriver but it made the exact same clicking sound that is made when I try to start it with the key. Next I assumed if the solenoid was ok it must be the starter so I took that out and hooked it up directly to a battery and then jumped it with a screwdriver and it spun and seems to be fine. I also checked the basics like making sure that the boat was in neutral and that the kill switch was set to run. I also took a look at the main ground and it looked nice and clean.

Is it possible that the starter would spin without a load but won't under load? Or are there any more connections I should clean?

I'm also completely confused by the circuit breaker on the starter solenoid. There was a really corroded metal washer between the circuit breaker and the power from the battery. I removed it when I put the starter back in because it seemed like I would get a better connection without it. Do I need this washer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 04 Sep 2017 23:52 #2

• Three
Also I had assumed this was unrelated but earlier this year the ignition came apart when I took the key out. I put it back in and it has been working fine since then. But if I put the key in and wiggle it as I pull it out while in the off position the ignition will come back out.

2012 Bayliner 175 BR
Last Edit: by Three.

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 05 Sep 2017 03:30 #3

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 359
What soleniod did you jump the slave soleniod on the engine near the breaker or the soleniod on the starter?

There is no breaker on the starter but there is a fuse block. Can you post a picture?

Lastly remove the spark plugs to see if water is in any cylinder. Then see if you can turn the engine over by hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 05 Sep 2017 17:22 #4

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806

Nauti Mike wrote: What soleniod did you jump the slave soleniod on the engine near the breaker or the soleniod on the starter?

There is no breaker on the starter but there is a fuse block. Can you post a picture?

Lastly remove the spark plugs to see if water is in any cylinder. Then see if you can turn the engine over by hand.

Yep, Mike is on the right track, remove plugs and try to turn it over.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 19:19 #5

• Three

Nauti Mike wrote: What soleniod did you jump the slave soleniod on the engine near the breaker or the soleniod on the starter?

Thanks for the responses. I jumped the solenoid on the starter. Should I try jumping the other one?

You're right it isnt a breaker its a fuse block. Its number 8 in the diagram. It looks pretty corroded. Is there a way to test it?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I took the plugs out and was able to turn the engine by hand. It was fairly difficult though I has to push on the belt to keep it from slipping.

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 21:49 #6

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
To check the fuse ohm between the stud and the tab, should be zero ohms.
Good it turned by hand, yes not easy by using the belt. How did the spark plugs look? Any rust?

Next measure voltage at both soleniods when cranking, should be 12V

Mike

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 22:06 #7

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Mike, doesn't the block fuse just protect the wire to the alt? Thought I remember a post about that.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 22:08 #8

• Three

Nauti Mike wrote: To check the fuse ohm between the stud and the tab, should be zero ohms.
Good it turned by hand, yes not easy by using the belt. How did the spark plugs look? Any rust?

The fuse is good then. The spark plugs looked great where they were threaded into the engine.

The voltage at both solenoids is just under 13 volts until i try to crank it then it drops down to about 4

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 23:17 #9

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Have you checked the nagative cable at the battery and engine block?
If you jump the slave and nothing happens then it's likely the starter solenoid. If you jump the starter solenoid and nothing happens the starter motor could be toast or the cable connections aren't making a solid connection.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 09 Sep 2017 23:56 #10

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Block fuse is the MAIN 90 AMP fuse... this just about feeds almost everything.
sounds like that battery is toasted to me.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 00:27 #11

• Three
I tried jumping the slave solenoid and absolutely nothing happened. What I don't understand is why the engine wouldn't turn over when I tried jumping the solenoid on the starter. I was able to get the starter to spin when I took it out of the boat hooked it up directly to a battery and jumped the solenoid. I ordered a starter with solenoid from DB Electrical and I'm hoping that will fix my problem.

I'm fairly certain the battery isn't the issue as I also tried starting it with my truck battery.

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 00:41 #12

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Follow the neg cable to the main ground on the thru bolt on the bell housing.

Remove and clean the end and bolt.

Examine the end, is it green.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 03:02 #13

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Chief Alen wrote: Follow the neg cable to the main ground on the thru bolt on the bell housing.

Remove and clean the end and bolt.

Examine the end, is it green.

My thoughts too. Corrosion at the connections or within the cable itself. Use some jumper cables to temporarily bypass the battery cables and see what happens.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 03:09 #14

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

Three wrote:

Nauti Mike wrote: To check the fuse ohm between the stud and the tab, should be zero ohms.

The fuse is good then. The spark plugs looked great where they were threaded into the engine.

The voltage at both solenoids is just under 13 volts until i try to crank it then it drops down to about 4

Measuring at the battery and cranking does the voltage drop to 4Vs? If so the battery is bad else you have a loose or corroded connection that could be either on the 12V supply or return.

Mike

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 17:18 #15

• Three
I test the voltage at the battery and there was no drop in voltage when cranking. Checked the negative cable from the battery to the bell housing and it was nice and clean but i took it off and sanded it a bit anyways.

Then I tried bypassing the battery cables with jumpers and she cranked!

I guess the next step is to replace the cables and make sure all connections are nice and clean?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it!

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 17:32 #16

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Yep, corrosion can hide up inside the cables. Glad she's cranking again :cheer:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 18:54 #17

• Three
I think it might be the battery on/off switch. I replaced the positive wire from the battery to the switch and the wire from the switch to the starter and it's the same problem again. I can bypass the switch with either of the two new wires though and it cranks no problem. All of the other electronics work through the switch.

2012 Bayliner 175 BR

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 10 Sep 2017 21:22 #18

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

Three wrote: I think it might be the battery on/off switch. I replaced the positive wire from the battery to the switch and the wire from the switch to the starter and it's the same problem again. I can bypass the switch with either of the two new wires though and it cranks no problem. All of the other electronics work through the switch.

Yep the switches used by the factory were not that great. Also overtime the slave soleniod gets pitted which creates a voltage drop.

Mike

2012 Bayliner 175 Starter Issues Clicking Won't Turn Over Mercruiser 3.0 18 Sep 2017 00:44 #19

• Three
Put the new battery switch in and problem was solved!

Took it out today and when starting out on the water the key started just free spinning in the ignition. And it wasnt just a loose nut that secures the ignition to the dash. Luckily i was able to start it by jumping the purple and red wires on the ignition using my aux cord but boy I was really hoping for a more reliable boat haha

2012 Bayliner 175 BR
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds