Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Carb leaking fuel!

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 11:20 #26

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I have a 1409 i will sell you with the adapter plate.

You change the steel line to hose. Remove the studs in the intake manifold. The throttle cable has to be extended out, which has built in adjustment. The throttle cable mounting plate has to be raised higher and out from the carb. All which can be done with washers and longer bolts.

I swapped this out on my 5.7 omc from the qj. Let me know if interested its sitting in my garage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 14:10 #27

• CptCrunchie
  • CptCrunchie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

yachtman wrote: On a Q jet the fuel comes in at the front of the carb facing the front of the engine. The edelbrock fuel hose will enter the carb at the left side toward the back of the carb. So the first thing is the old line is.too short but it also is.in the wrong position on the engine. Ill try to get a pic. The connection
flange to the carb is also different from the Q jet to the edelbrock

The throttle linkage was a complete non issue everyhing bolted right up and I adjusted the linkage however mine was a marine power engine your experience.may vary.

Thanks, yachtman. Since I've ordered the carb and plate, and I have yet to take anything apart, this is exactly what I need to know.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 14:12 #28

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

businessgetmoney wrote: I have a 1409 i will sell you with the adapter plate.

You change the steel line to hose. Remove the studs in the intake manifold. The throttle cable has to be extended out, which has built in adjustment. The throttle cable mounting plate has to be raised higher and out from the carb. All which can be done with washers and longer bolts.

I swapped this out on my 5.7 omc from the qj. Let me know if interested its sitting in my garage.

Wish I would have known that sooner. Already ordered it and the got the shipping confirmation email.

May I ask what prompted you to go back to the Q-jet?

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 14:28 #29

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I looked for other views of this carb, but only found this one. I'm guessing this is where the fuel intake is.

The flex hose, is that something O'Reilly's or Autozone would have, or is this something I have to order online? Not concerned about the ends, because there are adapters galore for stuff like this, but any idea what length?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 15:25 #30

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I was having issues with my qjet and wanted to rule it out. Now that ive rebuilt it alot i like them more. Depending on which qjet you have its a bigger carb than the 1409. The 1409 is easier to tune, u cant touch the idel air screws on Qjet.

The threads on fuel stuff is inverted flair. Available at autoparts, some places keep them in the back by the brake line stuff. I believe its a 1/2" nut with a 3/8 barb you need. Brake line fittings are he only thing that fit, beware cuz they look very close to everything else.

Also the throw distance on the throttle was shorter, not an issue tho

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 15:52 #31

• Fishtank
  • Thank you received: 13
Be careful anchoring in Canadian waters without first checking into a customs dock - penalties can be severe if they catch you... You don't have to check in if you don't anchor though.

1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 17:22 #32

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I believe abyc and coastguad calls for no hose clamps between fuel pump and carb but I could be wrong.

Here is what I did with mine. I had a fuel line built with high pressure fittings and A1 marine fuel hose.

I had the carb side fitting bent to fit the other end is just a high pressure fiting straight to the hose no metal tube. The reason I have the metal tube at the carb was becasue the straight hose wouldnt fall correctly into the carb without kinking

Ifyou would like my hose measurements I can get that for you.

Attachment not found

Here is the adaptor

This message has attachments images.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 17:25 #33

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here.is my linkage but yours might be different. My boat is a inboard.

Twin chevy 350's

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 18:03 #34

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

yachtman wrote: Here.is my linkage but yours might be different. My boat is a inboard.

Excellent photos. Thanks.

Here's my linkage.

Looking at the 1409, it looks like the link should fit, ....but I'll let my OMC guy make the final adjustments.

I like how you did your fuel line. Since I have the tube bender, I'll do the same. As to the length, if it is handy, knowing the length would be nice. However, O'Reilly's has the hoses in stock, so once I have the old line off and see where it has to run, I should be okay.

Thanks, yachtman. Big help!

businessformoney, excellent info. Thanks.

This message has an attachment image.

TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 19:31 #35

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Fishtank wrote: Be careful anchoring in Canadian waters without first checking into a customs dock - penalties can be severe if they catch you... You don't have to check in if you don't anchor though.

MR MODERATOR, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS INTO THE FISHING SECTION.

Not so. Much has changed in the past few months. Not sure where you are, but here's a little background.

I'm a dual citizen of the US and Canada, and having fished extensively in both waters, plus that I'm on the BoD of the Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter, I have the history and the ability to cite the various changes in the laws with a modicum of accuracy. In fact, our club has been dealing with this and a number of other WDFW issues ....forever! Bolt, North of Falcon, IPHC, ......the list is long.

First, ...it depends on where you live. Thankfully, the US BP in Port Angeles sees the laws differently than Bellingham, much less in the Great Lakes area. Officer Horsman has no desire for us to call him unless we touch another boat or make landfall while fishing in Canada. He also doesn't care whether we have an I-68 or a Nexus Pass. Unless we make landfall or come into contact with another boat, he doesn't want to hear from us. His attitude is, if we do make landfall or come into contact with another boat, he or his officers WILL be meeting us at the dock, so having an I-68 or Nexus Pass is moot.

Second, you CAN anchor in Canadian waters without making landfall (to the customs dock) to confirm entry to fish, ...but there is a lot to this one.

Recently, Canada Customs decided they were fielding too may calls from US fishers who just want to come across to fish. So, they decided to remove the need to call in. (Rather than build a wall, Trudeau decided to open the doors. How .....Canadian! *snicker*) As of about 2 months ago, US fishers who want to fish in Canadian waters, as long as they don't drop anchor, no longer need to call in for a number. In that, you are correct, but you are missing a big piece of information.

IF a US fisher decides to anchor in Canadian waters to fish, they only need to call in and receive a Canadian authorization number. (This is the piece that counters your comment.)

(Also, both Canadian and US fishers are not allowed to make contact with a US fisher while in Canadian waters, and those who do must contact their prospective border patrol/customs service upon returning to their home port. However, that rule hasn't changed.)

This new Canadian 'open door' policy sent WDFW into a tailspin. Since WDFW has such different regulations as to what can and cannot be harvested and/or landed on US soil, they needed some way of being able to monitor who was going across, ...or at least have the ability to look like they still had some kind of authority. This brought about the WDFW 'Canadian Salmon Trip Notification'. As you read, if a US fisher wants to fish in Canadian waters, they first need to fill out this log. Within seconds, they will receive an email with a WDFW registration number. This number must be shown to a WDFW officer to prove the fish is legally caught in Canada, .....at least, that's what they want you to think.

The ridiculousness of this new WDFW reg is that filling out this form is ....meaningless. Since the only way to ensure both Canadian and US fishing regulations are being followed, a physical inspection must be given upon return and making landfall. Since US Border Patrol and the USCG don't care about fishing regs, the only ones who can do the inspections are WDFW officers, ....and how likely is that to happen? So, as long as you are following Canadian regulations, filling out this form is just a way for WDFW to exercise the illusion of having jurisdiction over what you bring back from Canada, because it has no power to fine or confiscate legally caught fish, ....no matter what the WDFW regs are.

ADDITION: I should add, you do need this number if you don't plan to anchor. I should also add that this form is STRICTLY for salmon fishing. Otherwise, you don't need one, ...which makes as much sense as WDFWs belief of the power they gain by instituting this form. Example: You don't need to fill out this form if you plan to fish for halibut, nor do you need to call in for a Canadian Customs number if you will be drifting. You do need this number if you plan to drift or troll for salmon. However, if you anchor and mooch for salmon, you DON'T need this form, but you DO need to call Canadian Customs for a number. You confused yet?

PLEASE NOTE: The information on this WDFW page is .....misleading. If you plan to anchor, you need to call in to Canada Customs and get the number just like before. However, once you get that number, you do not need to submit this form. Therefore, once you have the Canadian registration number, this new WDFW reg is meaningless .....and unenforceable.

Then there are the Nexus and I-68 regulations. If you land in Port Angeles, you just need the Canadian reg number, but only if you anchored; you don't need an I-68 nor a Nexus Pass. But if you land in any other US area, you will need to call in with your I-68 or Nexus Pass information upon your return.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 19:32 #36

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You can just bend brake line and use for fuel if you want a hard line from fuel pump to carb.

The hose clamp thing is false, just as long as its a1 marine fuel hose available at west marine.

I didnt go with hard line i switched out to all hose, it works and is easier, also i ran an inline fuel pressure gauge which is handy and that had barbed ends.

I will say dont count on flaring hard line and slipping hose over it, it will never seal, even with 4 clamps... must use barbs

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 21:22 #37

• 88fourwinns
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 213
Take a look at Michigan Motorz website they may sell pre made lines like what you need for this job...

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 21:25 #38

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 808
Awesome write up on the Canadian fishing thing Crunchie!!!

Yes please mods, I vote Crunchies post be made a sticky and moved to fishing topics ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 21:27 #39

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote: Awesome write up on the Canadian fishing thing Crunchie!!!

Yes please mods, I vote Crunchies post be made a sticky and moved to fishing topics ;)

Thanks, Dave.

Ummmm..... What's a sticky?

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 05 Sep 2017 22:37 #40

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

CptCrunchie wrote:

builderdude wrote: Awesome write up on the Canadian fishing thing Crunchie!!!

Thanks, Dave.

Ummmm..... What's a sticky?

Highlighted yellow like a sticky note as to stand out cause it's good information.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 16:50 #41

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My carb finally arrived. I didn't realize when I ordered it that the supplying company was in Jacksonville, FL. So, with Irma, it took a while.

Now, I'm not sure I got what I ordered. As far as I know, this is the marine carb,.....

...but this is what I received.

Considering this thing feels and looks like aluminum, is the coating all that important? Other than the coating, will it work, or should I return it?

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 17:13 #42

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is the coating they put on marine carbs. The shinney one is not marine. If it says 1409 its a marine carb 600 cfm.

Twin chevy 350's

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 17:55 #43

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This is weird. I called the supplier and they tell me they clear coat a performance carb to make it a marine carb. Then they install a marine kit into them, and add some kind of port to make them USCG approved (I'm guessing it's the fitting they added that hooks to the fuel pump in case the diaphragm breaks). Has anyone heard of this? He also says this carb has a lifetime warrantee, so if it does corrode, they will replace it.

I've decided to install it, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 18:20 #44

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Was it new or reman? Never heard of that...

I did research the 1409 and what makes it marine specific, and it has that yellowish coating on it. That is from edelbrock and specific to the 1409. The polished is not marine.

As far as i know its for corrosion. I suppose if you clear coat polished aluminum it would protect it but perhaps not as well as whatever coating is on the 1409.

Does it say 1409? There are other differences more important than the coating

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Carb install, ...HELP!!!! 21 Sep 2017 19:02 #45

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Okay, guys, now I'm REALLY confused! I've taken the old Rochester out and am about to put the adapter on. However, after matching the old with the new, the bottoms of both carbs are identical. So, I matched up the holes in the Edelbrock 1409 with the manifold. From what I can see, the center bar is directly along the space between the ports.

Then I put the gasket on, and it too fits the manifold.

The manifold is stamped Volvo Penta, and the receipt from the company who rebuild the engine states it is a Vortec, but now I have two questions:

Is this a Vortec manifold?

Do I need to use the adapter?

UPDATE: I just found this on eBay.

www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-Aluminum-In...-0-5-7-/322537043655

I guess it isn't a Vortec manifold, but I still need to know if I need the adapter.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 19:17 #46

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

businessgetmoney wrote: Was it new or reman? Never heard of that...

I did research the 1409 and what makes it marine specific, and it has that yellowish coating on it. That is from edelbrock and specific to the 1409. The polished is not marine.

As far as i know its for corrosion. I suppose if you clear coat polished aluminum it would protect it but perhaps not as well as whatever coating is on the 1409.

Does it say 1409? There are other differences more important than the coating

I've looked all over the carb and cannot see any markings on it to indicate it is a 1409. However, as you can see, they are identical otherwise. All the screws are coated. I took a knife and scraped a tiny piece of the base, and it is clear coated ....with something.

It's remanufactured by National, purchased through PerformanceOverstock on eBay.

Worst case, it corrodes and I send it back. Best case, I can get back out on the water to catch some of the Coho run. Thanks, BGM.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 19:50 #47

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Odd they sent you a polished carb but if it has the fuel pump diaphragm hose connection at the air horn it's probably been reworked for marine use. Looks like your spread bore intake is a vortec style as there are only eight bolts that hold it to the heads and no center (exhaust cross over) bolts.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 20:44 #48

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Da-hem. I posted the wrong gasket. This is the one for the Edelbrock.

I have the carb on, and all 4 butterfly valves work perfectly. So, it appears I don't need the adapter.

However, I have another problem, the shifter is in the way of the fuel line connection on the carb. It's a blurry photo, but you can see the problem.

The line is clear when in neutral, but once in gear, it completely covers the intake. I'm hoping my local hose shop can do something for me, but this is going to be a challenge ...for both of us.

Did I mention I hate doing mechanics? It just never seems easy. :S

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 21:41 #49

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If it was a remanufactured 1409 sometimes you get shinny one. Is ones always have the marine coating

Twin chevy 350's

Carb leaking fuel! 21 Sep 2017 21:51 #50

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm not understanding because the fuel inlet should be on the opposite side of the linkage. Look at my pics i posted. Nowhere near the linkage.. you might be able to use a hard 90° to fix it but that might no the the best for fuel flow. Maybe not a problem though.

Twin chevy 350's
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds