• Page:

TOPIC: HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 16 Sep 2017 14:05 #26

• MonteVista
  • MonteVista's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
OK. Boat is all fixed and back in the water. I did an extensive test and all seem ok. Indeed I have better performance now! I think (a) the fact that the props were fixed and polished (chrome plated) helped, and (b) we spent a lot of time aligning the engine with the drive after the engine was put in. We used the Mercury special tool which is really a barbed shaft that fits inside the coupler through the drive. With minor moves of the engine and/or tightening/loosening the rear bolts we got the tool to go ing and engage all the way into the coupler without any undue friction resistance. It seems I can now plane at a lower rpm then before and also my top speed may have increased by up to 2 mph.

All of this happened today and I am tired. I shall send more pictures when I recover a bit.

Be safe!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Retired, computer expert / executive
Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 17 Sep 2017 13:54 #27

• MonteVista
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well,

I may have spoken too early! Following the sea trials where engine/prop performance went very well, I docked at the marina and discovered that my bilge pump was coming on every 1 hr or so. Today my mechanic did a careful examination and though that either there was a leak involving the transom (ouch!) or it seemed to be leaking from the gear wire bellow. It was a slow leak any way so we drove out to sea and found a shallow spot where he dove under the boat and examined the gear wire bellow. The leak was more as we trimmed the drive up, implying may be a tear in the bellow but he had replaced the bellow and under water exam and feel by hand did not reveal any tears. However, as he tried adding another camp around the bellow and other wise play with the existing clamp the leak increase/decrease, implying, somehow, the bellow was the culprit. So, tomorrow the boat is coming out of the water, again, and he will remove the drive to examine/replace the bellow. We shall then put the boat back in the water to see if the problem is fixed. Otherwise, it comes out again and the MAJOR task of removing the engine, removing the transom plate, check/fix hull damage and put everything back together! I am not looking forward to that at all! I hope the bellow fix fixes the issue.

Here are some more pictures showing the engine removal and the damage.

1 - Engine coming out and the dirty, later clean, engine compartment

2 - Engine from the rear, showing the coupler and the coupler removed.
I am a bit concerned about the rusty area on the coupler. Mechanic says it is from the exhaust. I hope the transom and the hull underneath are not affected.

3 - Coupler removed, showing cranking wheel. Note, all 6 bolts holding the coupler have been sheared off.

Be safe!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 17 Sep 2017 15:13 #28

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
Hang in there.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 17 Sep 2017 16:35 #29

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
Sure sounds like the lower shift cable bellow is the source. The fact your guy was manipulating the bellow while in the water and the leak would increase/decrease. Minor repair all things considered, don't forget the bellow adhesive.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 18 Sep 2017 12:31 #30

• MonteVista
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yep, it was the shift cable bellow. We replaced the bellow, and checked for leaks, none!

I hope this incident is behind me now. The only thing remaining, other than remembering to keep the chain tied down while cruising, is to install a new switch, with a cover, that needs to be operated first in order to provide power to the windlass switch so accidental pushing of the windlass switch can not cause harm.

Be safe

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 18 Sep 2017 13:32 #31

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
Glad to see this is all buttoned up. I live in mortal fear of something like this happening to me.

Or worse, remember when Seapuppy hit the rocks in his new boat? I felt terrible for him.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

HELP! Disaster happened I need advice, please 18 Sep 2017 15:16 #32

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606

Download_Complete wrote: Glad to see this is all buttoned up. I live in mortal fear of something like this happening to me.

Or worse, remember when Seapuppy hit the rocks in his new boat? I felt terrible for him.

That happened twice to the poor guy. The first one was on his new 2455; fortunately it was a soft grounding.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds