• Page:

TOPIC: Full closed cooling or no?

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 16:01 #1

• businessgetmoney
  • businessgetmoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Cant quite determin if this is a full or partial system. What do you think?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 16:08 #2

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
It appears to be a full closed system. Are the two hoses coming off the t-stat housing going to the exhaust manifolds? If so then full system.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 16:40 #3

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Mike, It looks to have Mercruisers SS exhaust elbows but I can't see if there's a raw water hose feeding them or not. If they're capped off then she's part closed.
Post a pic of the exhaust: manifold, spacer, elbow and the hose connections to them.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 16:43 #4

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Dave in the first picture there is a hose coming off the HE that splits and goes to the elbows which should be raw water. In the last picture there are two hoses coming off the t-stat and two on the backside of the HE which appears to be closed cooling for the exhaust manifolds.

Mike

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 16:54 #5

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38
ive been messing about with boats for many years, and I suppose its time for someone to enlighten me about the "partial" closed loop cooling system. I have never heard of such a thing or how it would work. maybe it means a closed loop cooling system with dry exhaust?...

you have a heat exchanger, so in my opinion you have a closed loop cooling system.... you should see fresh water and coolant under the cap of the heat exchanger that flows around the outside the tubes of the heat exchanger, and then out in a loop thru the motor, circulated by the engine water pump. at the same time, sea water is picked up by the impeller in the lower unit and sent to the heat exchanger where it passes thru the tubes inside the heat exchanger, and then dumped into the water jacketed exhaust manifolds to cool them as both the exhaust gases and the water flow up and over the riser elbows where they now mix together and exit thru the outdrive...

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 17:03 #6

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

Centerline2 wrote: ive been messing about with boats for many years, and I suppose its time for someone to enlighten me about the "partial" closed loop cooling system. I have never heard of such a thing or how it would work. maybe it means a closed loop cooling system with dry exhaust?...

you have a heat exchanger, so in my opinion you have a closed loop cooling system.... you should see fresh water and coolant under the cap of the heat exchanger that flows around the outside the tubes of the heat exchanger, and then out in a loop thru the motor, circulated by the engine water pump. at the same time, sea water is picked up by the impeller in the lower unit and sent to the heat exchanger where it passes thru the tubes inside the heat exchanger, and then dumped into the water jacketed exhaust manifolds to cool them as both the exhaust gases and the water flow up and over the riser elbows where they now mix together and exit thru the outdrive...

A "Full" closed cooling system circulates coolant through the engine and exhaust manifold and he elbows are raw water cooled. As you said raw water is also circulated through the HE to remove heat from the closed cooling.
A "Partial or half" closed cooling system circulates coolant through the engine only and the exhaust manifold and elbow are raw water cooled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dooglas

Mike

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 17:09 #7

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 622

Centerline2 wrote: ive been messing about with boats for many years, and I suppose its time for someone to enlighten me about the "partial" closed loop cooling system. I have never heard of such a thing or how it would work. maybe it means a closed loop cooling system with dry exhaust?...

They are often referred to as a half vs a full fresh water cooling systems. A half system runs raw water through the exhaust manifolds up to the risers and overboard. A full system runs coolant through the manifolds. The risers still get raw water and this goes overboard. The advantage of a full system is that manifolds last much longer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dooglas

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 17:17 #8

• dktool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • So Much Water, So Little Time
  • Thank you received: 19
That is a full closed system

" WET EVER "
1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
mmsi 338108404
mmsi 338124956
"I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It's only a rock, get over it.

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 17:20 #9

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
If you have trouble following the hoses the easiest way to see is crack open a plug on the manifold ( not the riser) and see what comes out. If its antifreeze it's full closed. Of course that's assuming you have antifreeze in the block.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Full closed cooling or no? 31 Aug 2017 17:33 #10

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
FULL,
Man, that is tight in there!
PORT side starter never goes out hopefully... don't even want to think about replacing that :)

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 03:23 #11

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38

Norton Rider wrote:
A half system runs raw water through the exhaust manifolds up to the risers and overboard. A full system runs coolant through the manifolds. The risers still get raw water and this goes overboard. The advantage of a full system is that manifolds last much longer.

so most older boats with a "closed" loop cooling system must be really a half system? because the raw water goes in the front of the manifolds and out over the top of the risers... i can see the advantage of running coolant thru the manifolds, so what does it take to convert a half system to a full system? and does it cool as efficiently?.. thanks

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 10:57 #12

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I will get more pics tonight. If I recall one of the tubes off the risers run to the heat exchanger. Which is deceptive because that doesnt mean its coolant, that could still be raw water from the outer jacket, routed to exit through the exhaust.

The raw water pump is belt driven, these are bravo 2's.

Yes its insane how tight it is, not looking forward to doing anything down there, am pulling engines for rebuild this winter.

Difference between half and full is as stated, exhaust manis are still raw water cooled. What confuses me is in a full, there is a plate that blocks the jackets from the risers.

Unless my terminology on what parts what on an exhaust system is wrong, why do they sell full aluminum kits if the riser still gets raw water through it?

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan
Last Edit: by businessgetmoney.

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 11:04 #13

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
As well this boat has strainers in the bilge for the raw water pick up. Idk if this is factory or not.

If I understand correctly: Ive read of people modding this to avoid sucking up muck the drives churn up. From here they would cutt the raw water tube outside in the transom assembly for the drives and do a block off from the belt driven pump that would feed the drives? Idk that system confuses me. And honestly these strainers have been a pain, everytime i leave my slip in the canal they get clogged. Last time i didnt wven make it out of the river and had to go diving to clear the scuppers. I would way rather lift the drives and lay on the playform and remove debris. Wish there was some back flush valves for the strainers

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 12:02 #14

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

Centerline2 wrote:

Norton Rider wrote:
A half system runs raw water through the exhaust manifolds up to the risers and overboard. A full system runs coolant through the manifolds. The risers still get raw water and this goes overboard. The advantage of a full system is that manifolds last much longer.

so most older boats with a "closed" loop cooling system must be really a half system? because the raw water goes in the front of the manifolds and out over the top of the risers... i can see the advantage of running coolant thru the manifolds, so what does it take to convert a half system to a full system? and does it cool as efficiently?.. thanks

A larger HE that is sized to cool both the engine and manifolds plus the hoses to the manifolds and block off gaskets between manifolds and elbows.

Mike

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 12:08 #15

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD

businessgetmoney wrote: As well this boat has strainers in the bilge for the raw water pick up. Idk if this is factory or not.

If I understand correctly: Ive read of people modding this to avoid sucking up muck the drives churn up. From here they would cutt the raw water tube outside in the transom assembly for the drives and do a block off from the belt driven pump that would feed the drives? Idk that system confuses me. And honestly these strainers have been a pain, everytime i leave my slip in the canal they get clogged. Last time i didnt wven make it out of the river and had to go diving to clear the scuppers. I would way rather lift the drives and lay on the playform and remove debris. Wish there was some back flush valves for the strainers

Are the strainers connected to the hose from the drive or to the thru hull next to it in the first picture? Some use blockoff kits on the inner transom assembly so the raw water doesn't come from the drive but a thru hull.

Mike

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 12:15 #16

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The strainers are connected to the through hull and feed the belt pump for raw water. It looks factory but who knows.

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Full closed cooling or no? 01 Sep 2017 12:33 #17

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Centerline2 wrote: I've been messing about with boats for many years, and I suppose its time for someone to enlighten me about the "partial" closed loop cooling system. I have never heard of such a thing or how it would work.
That would be what is referred to as a "Half Closed Cooling System". As noted, the cylinder block and cylinder heads only are E/G cooled.

maybe it means a closed loop cooling system with dry exhaust?...
No dry exhaust on our cruiser boats.

you have a heat exchanger, so in my opinion you have a closed loop cooling system....
Correct...... know as a Closed Cooling System!
(the term "Fresh Water Cooling" is a misnomer)

you should see fresh water and coolant under the cap of the heat exchanger
Incorrect! You will see an Ethylene Glycol and distilled H2O mixture ONLY.

that flows around the outside the tubes of the heat exchanger, and then out in a loop thru the Engine, circulated by the engine coolant circulating pump.
Yes!

at the same time, sea water is picked up by the impeller in the lower unit (yes......., or by the engine located seawater pump) and sent to the heat exchanger where it passes thru the tubes inside the heat exchanger,
Yes, that is called the "tube bundle".

and then dumped into the water jacketed exhaust manifolds to cool them
On a "Half System"..... yes!

as both the exhaust gases and the water flow up and over the elbows where they now mix together and exit thru the outdrive...
Yes..... either that or it exits via a thru-hull exhaust system.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds