Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2 batteries?

2 batteries? 28 Aug 2017 00:16 #1

• cgreathouse
  • cgreathouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 88 bayliner w/ an OMC 2.3. The guy I got the boat from added a second battery (connected in parallel). This morning it was extremely hard getting the boat to start. I could tell the batteries were getting low.

It finally started and after about a minute I saw a little bit of smoke coming from the engine. I traced it to a wire that was smoking. I had a laser temp senor and the wire was 190 degrees. I then immediately shut the engine off.

A few hours later I went back and started poking around. The first thing I check was the batteries. They were around 10 volts. My suspicion was since both batteries were low, it was putting out a lot of current. I hooked up a battery charger for a few hours and started the engine.

It started right up and the wire didn't get hot (around 85).

I'm guessing the electrical system wasn't meant to handle 2 batteries. I like having the second battery, but if it's going to damage something or catch fire, it's not worth having.

Should I go back to just a 1 battery setup?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 batteries? 28 Aug 2017 04:27 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
IMO, it was a case of the batteries being very discharged. You could control them with a switch so that you would run one the other or both. Having that second battery is a good thing. Just make sure to keep them charged.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

2 batteries? 28 Aug 2017 13:12 #3

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

cgreathouse wrote: I have an 88 bayliner w/ an OMC 2.3. The guy I got the boat from added a second battery (connected in parallel).
With the two batteries connected in parallel, you have only increased that one bank's capacity.
What you actually want is an MBSS and two separate battery banks.
One with a Cranking Battery...... and one with a Deep Cycle battery.
Keep the #1 bank in RESERVE at all times.

This morning it was extremely hard getting the engine to start. I could tell the batteries were getting low.

It finally started and after about a minute I saw a little bit of smoke coming from the engine. I traced it to a wire that was smoking. I had a laser temp senor and the wire was 190 degrees. I then immediately shut the engine off.
Please post photos of this wire or cable that was smoking!

A few hours later I went back and started poking around. The first thing I check was the batteries. They were around 10 volts. My suspicion was since both batteries were low, it was putting out a lot of current. I hooked up a battery charger for a few hours and started the engine.

I'm guessing the electrical system wasn't meant to handle 2 batteries.
Not true! The number of batteries in parallel should not affect this.
Your electrical system has an issue.

I like having the second battery, but if it's going to damage something or catch fire, it's not worth having.
See above!

See above!

Thanks!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

2 batteries? 29 Aug 2017 01:04 #4

• SteveInCal
  • Thank you received: 4
MBSS is definitely the way to go.

Years ago, the insulation on one of my battery wires melted slightly. The wing nut on that battery post was a little loose, so I figured the extra electrical resistance caused the heat.

I cleaned up the connection and re-tightened the wing nut and it's never happened again.

Steve M.
Marin County, CA
1989 Arriva 2050 KE
5.0LX, 230 HP Mercruiser, Alpha 1 drive
Last Edit: by SteveInCal.

2 batteries? 29 Aug 2017 01:46 #5

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259

SteveInCal wrote: MBSS is definitely the way to go.

Years ago, the insulation on one of my battery wires melted slightly. The wing nut on that battery post was a little loose, so I figured the extra electrical resistance caused the heat.

I cleaned up the connection and re-tightened the wing nut and it's never happened again.

That is why wingnuts are not recommended. Use aircraft nylock nuts. If after removing the nut a couple of times it seems easy to turn , then put on a fresh new nut.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

2 batteries? 29 Aug 2017 03:32 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Ditto Jim........ no wing nuts!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

2 batteries? 29 Aug 2017 06:56 #7

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38

cgreathouse wrote: I have an 88 bayliner w/ an OMC 2.3. The guy I got the boat from added a second battery (connected in parallel). This morning it was extremely hard getting the boat to start. I could tell the batteries were getting low.

I'm guessing the electrical system wasn't meant to handle 2 batteries. I like having the second battery, but if it's going to damage something or catch fire, it's not worth having.

Thanks!

if you had a terminal smoking, it is because its not making a good connection due to it being loose or corroded, it needs attention!
if it was the wire that was smoking, then it would be because the wire is too small for the circuit, but it shouldnt matter if you had 6 or 8 batteries in parallel, the presumably little OEM alternator you have doesnt put out enough to over amp/smoke a lug terminal... unless there is a problem with the connectivity of the wires going to it...

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

2 batteries? 29 Aug 2017 20:53 #8

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
Here is the best way for 2 batteries, not a lot of wasted money here. Look at it as a minimum safe way to do it. Then just keep them charged. The heat you generated in the wiring was from low voltage. That causes higher current, thus higher temperature.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!
Last Edit: by aluxury1.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds