Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner 1979 victoria

Bayliner 1979 victoria 24 Aug 2017 21:35 #1

• richallen72
  • richallen72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Im new to this whole boat thing. Picked up a 79 bayliner victoria cheap. Trying to sort out issues as i restore her. Im trying to get the motor turned over but having issues. I cant move the throttle. When its disconnected from engine compartment it moves freely attach it to the neutral start switch it wont move....why. Does the outdrive have to be all the way down. As the boat is on blocks and i dont have the clearnce to ground to get it down

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner 1979 victoria 24 Aug 2017 22:00 #2

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 328
Sounds like the cable is frozen and needs to be replaced. Do the shifter at the same time. I advise sqqtrongly against starting the motor with the drive in any raised position. The ujoints and bellows don't get along and you will make an additional problem. You can disconnect the cable at the controller end as well as the carb as a starting place, no pun intended.
Please add where you are and more particulars about your boat to your signature. It really helps us help you.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Bayliner 1979 victoria 25 Aug 2017 01:20 #3

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

richallen72 wrote: Im new to this whole boat thing. Picked up a 79 bayliner victoria cheap. Trying to sort out issues as i restore her. Im trying to get the motor turned over but having issues. I cant move the throttle. When its disconnected from engine compartment it moves freely attach it to the neutral start switch it wont move....why. Does the outdrive have to be all the way down. As the boat is on blocks and i dont have the clearnce to ground to get it down

Welcome to BOC!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Bayliner 1979 victoria 25 Aug 2017 01:46 #4

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I wouldn't sweat starting - just don't rev it up. Bellows will be well overdue if it is sitting on blocks in a yard somewhere and probably should think about u-joint while you are at it once some of the other things are coming together.

There is not a switch preventing starting while tilted.
Neutral safety switch is at the helm. If a flybridge usually upstairs station.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.
Last Edit: by kwb.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds