Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cobra stumbles in reverse

Cobra stumbles in reverse 10 Aug 2017 15:47 #26

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 606

CptCrunchie wrote:

2850Bounty wrote: I agree with the author of post #9....... make your Dog Clutch shift transitions with quick and concise movements.

In post #26, 88fourwinns is dead on re; the ESA being there for return-to-neutral shift transitions (similar as to what I said in post #15).

And again...... keep in mind that it's the lower shift cable "outer jacket" resistance that causes the cam lever arm operation. Watch the system as the cam lever begins to operate........ and you'll see what I mean.

Indeed, I will. The more I think about it, when I shift it into forward, it is fairly smooth, but shifting it back out, I have to do it very quickly.

Yesterday when I shifted it into reverse (hearing your guys comments ringing in my head) I literally threw it into reverse ....and it worked. It came out of reverse like it goes into forward, fairly smooth. Don't know why it does this, but I can work with it.

Strange that this has only happened recently. I thought I was making ....quick and concise movements. Apparently not. B)

Thank you for all your assistance.

I've owned two boats with Cobra drives and found that there are a few things that will make them last: 1- The cables and switches need to be rigged-up correctly, 2- The oil needs to be changed annually, 3- Shifting needs to be done quickly and firmly. If shifting from forward all the way to reverse or vice versa, it works best with a short pause in neutral. In other words, shift quickly and firmly into neutral, pause for a second and shift quickly and firmly into gear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Cobra stumbles in reverse 10 Aug 2017 21:16 #27

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
when you lubed the shift actuator (W), most likely made a difference,
or the reverse cam on the shift arm lever did engage the over stroke switch, ESA canceled.
Just saw your posted pics... you do have both FWD REV cams on the shift lever arm.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Cobra stumbles in reverse 10 Aug 2017 22:35 #28

• CptCrunchie
  • CptCrunchie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Ruffryder wrote: Just saw your posted pics... you do have both FWD REV cams on the shift lever arm.

Joon, I don't know what those are. Please explain.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Cobra stumbles in reverse 10 Aug 2017 23:02 #29

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

shift interrupt switch with that roller cam that glides on the shift actuator(W) is a normally open switch when this switch closes, then your ESA is now activated/engaged.
Overstroke switch is a NORMALLY CLOSED switch when the rubber booted plunger is depressed, your ESA system is no longer activated by opening the switch.
it is there to prevent your ESA system to staying engaged while in gear in case ESA is still activated... just as you were describing your problem.
I've seen a few overstroke switch with its torn rubber boot causing it to act up.
Start your engine, manually push the interrupt switch, while holding it down push the overstroke switch plunger... it should cancel out your engine stumbling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

Cobra stumbles in reverse 11 Aug 2017 02:22 #30

• CptCrunchie
  • CptCrunchie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147
Perfect. Thanks, Joon. I'll check it tomorrow.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds