Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically.

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 05 Aug 2017 16:15 #1

• savagefan
  • savagefan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
When the distributor was point equipped, my spec timing occurred with the Bosch distributor in the middle of its adjustment slot. With the module it is all the way over and just barely makes spec. I tried moving plug wires one spot but could not get it close to spec. The module installed very easily, it runs much better but this does not seem right. Any ideas? Is this normal? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1987 Bayliner Trophy aq131a Red block VP 275?

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 05 Aug 2017 16:34 #2

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Have you tride pulling the whole dist assembly and moving it over a tooth or two? Idk how the points work but with module setups where you just rotate to adjust timing, it its way far one way or the other im pretty sure rotating some teeth would do it.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 05 Aug 2017 17:09 #3

• djhinca
  • Thank you received: 0
Would you mind posting the Pertronix model number you used and any other relevant information that might be helpful for a similar install. I have an AQ131A on my '86 Bayliner and have considered upgrading to Pertronix during this year's winterization. Thanks!

1986 Capri 1950 Cuddy
AQ131A / 275
(original owner)

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 05 Aug 2017 21:04 #4

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Loosen the hold down clamp at the base of the distributor and rotate the distributor to set your timing back to spec. No need to pull the distributor or move plug wires.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 06 Aug 2017 05:10 #5

• savagefan
Test

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 06 Aug 2017 05:15 #6

• savagefan
It is a Bosch distributor, it has a slot in its housing that limits adjustment. It is not gear driven, it has a blade drive off the accessory drive. It is the Volvo red block SOHC, I am wondering if I may have a defective unit or if this is a common occurence with this unit . It is model # 2842
The following user(s) said Thank You: djhinca

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 06 Aug 2017 14:16 #7

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
A belt driven dizzy?

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 07 Aug 2017 12:50 #8

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Dave wrote: Loosen the hold down clamp at the base of the distributor and rotate the distributor to set your timing back to spec. No need to pull the distributor or move plug wires.
Dave, this is a bit different from what we think of as a conventional ignition distributor. The housing does have an appendage that is slotted and is used in lieu of the bolt and hold-down clamp.

savagefan wrote: It is a Bosch distributor, it has a slot in its housing that limits adjustment. It is not gear driven,
Actually, it is gear driven like most ignition distributors are.
It has the "driven" gear at the bottom of the shaft which engages with the "drive" gear on the counter-shaft.

It may be possible that you received the wrong Pertronix kit, or a defective kit.

The P-kit sensor must be indexed similar to how the contact points were.
In other words..... the P-kit magnetic wheel (as it passes by the sensor) creates a triggering event just as the contact points did.
Both must create the triggering event at the same crankshaft angle..... or the ignition timing will be OFF.

Like suggested, lift the distributor up and out.
Re-index the "driven" gear one tooth in the direction that helps you.
Now drop it back in and see if you can achieve the correct BASE and Progressive advance.

It is extremely important that the BASE and the Progressive are correct!

Also make sure that the counter-shaft's cogged pulley is indexed correctly.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 07 Aug 2017 14:55 #9

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
I see, and re reading his initial post he was already at the end of the allowable adjustment on the distributor. My bad :pinch:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 07 Aug 2017 16:41 #10

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote: I see, and re reading his initial post he was already at the end of the allowable adjustment on the distributor.

Yes, I think so Dave.

The P-kit should work but it does require that the advance be re-set and I'm thinking that the distributor should NOT need to be removed and re-positioned on the counter-shaft gear.
I think that something else is wacky.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 08 Aug 2017 09:37 #11

• savagefan
Thank you 2850Bounty, you nailed it, this gives me hope. According to my seloc manual mine doesn't have the gear drive but it is the same distributor you posted, so when time permits I'll check it. I didn't realize when I bought this boat it would be so trouble-plagued. There was a weather crack in the bellows for the drive-shaft, sea-water got in there and wiped out the u-joints and gimble bearing over a 2 week fishing trip. Lots of work and little time to do it, oh well sucks to be me.

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 08 Aug 2017 11:11 #12

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

savagefan wrote: Thank you 2850Bounty, you nailed it, this gives me hope.
According to my seloc manual mine doesn't have the gear drive but it is the same distributor you posted,
The Ignition Distributor axis changes direction (90 degrees to be exact) from that of the counter-shaft.
No question about it...... it is gear driven.
(click here) www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta...744650-30-18804.aspx

Suggestion: toss that Seloc into the recycle bin, and use your OEM Volvo Penta manual! :)

By the way, when I mentioned to Dave that the distributor should not need to be lifted out and re-indexed, I was speaking as if all was OK with the P-kit.
In other words, as it is now with this issue........ you may need to lift it out and re-index it.

There was a weather crack in the bellows for the drive-shaft, sea-water got in there and wiped out the u-joints and gimble bearing over a 2 week fishing trip.
Yes..... always store the drive in the full down and straight ahead position.
This will extend the life of the "drive shaft" bellows.

BTW...... this is a "main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry" drive...... NO Gimbal Bearing.

If seawater entered this area, you have no doubt damaged the PDS bearing of which should also be replaced at the same time as the drive shaft bellows are.
This is an industry standard 6206 bearing...... about $14 from a good bearing supplier.
The seal is also industry std 35x62x7mm in a TCM or Timken brand.......... about $7.

Lots of work and little time to do it, oh well sucks to be me.
Trust me....... this is a great engine/stern drive....... it's just that you are now taking care of someone else's lack of proper maintenance prior to your ownership.
Once you get all of that taken care of...... it will serve you well for years and years.

The following user(s) said Thank You: savagefan

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 08 Aug 2017 14:56 #13

• savagefan
Again, many thanks 2850 you are teaching me a lot. Would you know if the u-joints are industry standard part #s or are they VP specific? Have a great day.

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 08 Aug 2017 18:05 #14

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Basically all bearing crosses are industry standard.
The bearing crosses that you will need will be a Spicer 5-1306X (or equivalent in another brand).

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Installed Pertronix on AQ131a, base timing changed dramatically. 28 Aug 2017 01:03 #15

• savagefan
Happy camper now, the Distributor was stuck down but a little elbow grease and up she came. Set the timing at 8 initial ( I'm at 3500 ft above sea level) and will use the light on the water in a couple weeks to check advance too.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds