Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 04 Aug 2017 23:04 #1

• jrr4948
  • jrr4948's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Lost my engine to water getting into all 8 cylinders. We think the water backed up into the engine due to a flapper issue. Ordered a new jasper. They went to install it and I asked to have the flappers checked are replaced. They cannot find any! Nothing in the bellows in the outdrive and no holes for the pin to fit the flappers in the Y pipes. The Y pipes were replaced by the previous owner. What do I do now??? 1988 model Cobra 5.7 engine. Model 2556 Command bridge 25' - Manual shows them in the Y pipe. What is my recourse? They installed the new engine !!! I have heard the newer models do not have flappers. Water sits fairly high in the pipes. No room for a higher riser - already hitting the deck with the standard middle riser. Please help! Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 05 Aug 2017 10:40 #2

• ozbucko
  • Thank you received: 14
These are what mine look like. 5.7 MPI to A1G2 legs.
I replaced all the flappers just after this photo was taken and just prior to refitting the motors.
Its a maintenance thing.
If I recollect correctly there are flappers available that rest on the top of the Y and retained by the molding in the exhaust bellows.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 05 Aug 2017 16:12 #3

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810

jrr4948 wrote: Lost my engine to water getting into all 8 cylinders. We think the water backed up into the engine due to a flapper issue. Ordered a new jasper. They went to install it and I asked to have the flappers checked are replaced. They cannot find any! Nothing in the bellows in the outdrive and no holes for the pin to fit the flappers in the Y pipes. The Y pipes were replaced by the previous owner. What do I do now??? 1988 model Cobra 5.7 engine. Model 2556 Command bridge 25' - Manual shows them in the Y pipe. What is my recourse? They installed the new engine !!! I have heard the newer models do not have flappers. Water sits fairly high in the pipes. No room for a higher riser - already hitting the deck with the standard middle riser. Please help! Thank you!

Im not familiar with the OMC stuff but if it were me that lost an engine due to water reversion up the Y pipe and I discovered there were no exhaust shutters installed do to no holes being in the Y pipe for the pins I'd be drilling some holes. Is there maybe a dimple in the Y pipe where the holes should be located?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 05 Aug 2017 16:30 #4

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Agreed with the attached pic, i did a new engine mine were "fine" so i left them.

Not so sure if the water reversion was your problem. Did you have any hard stops? Avoid that, add flappers where shown in the pic. I know i found them for the omc stuff maybe like $150?

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 31 Aug 2017 21:27 #5

• jrr4948
  • jrr4948's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Thank you everyone for all of your help these past 2 years! Turns out when we pulled the engine the "Y" pipe was cut along with the flappers. Instead of adjusting the elbow the previous owner cut the Y pipe. Therefore not understanding stern-drives (hard lesson for me here) I did not know what to look for. We decided to go with a new jasper block and I found the correct Y pipe on Ebay. Since all of the accessories were near new it made sense. Live an learn.... I have been a Direct drive boater for 40 years. This is my first Stern drive and nearly every problem has been the stern drive. Now with a new interior, new floor, new engine and accessories, I am working on the cosmetics and wiring. Thanks again for all of your help and for the pictures. made this much easier. JRR

1988 2556 Cobra outdrive cant find any flappers! water getting into engine 01 Sep 2017 00:13 #6

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810

jrr4948 wrote: Instead of adjusting the elbow the previous owner cut the Y pipe.

Well that'd explains the lack of holes for the flappers :pinch:
Glad ya got it figured out :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds