• Page:

TOPIC: Westerbeke 9K unit starting?

Westerbeke 9K unit starting? 11 Jul 2017 17:43 #1

• Steadfast70
  • Steadfast70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Bayliner 3870 1987 hino 175
  • Thank you received: 6
My Westerbeke unit starts and runs well when cold. Once I shut the unit down it is usually not possible to get the glow plugs to show they are activated and consuming electricity nor will the unit turn over. If I leave it for half a day or a day on activating the glow plug switch I can see it is causing the plugs to work and the unit will crank over and start.

It just dawned on me as I wrote this that my problem may be in a faulty glow plug switch on my dash? Next time it won't activate the glow plugs I will jumper this switch to see if it is the problem. Any other thoughts on what might be causing this is appreciated.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Westerbeke 9K unit starting? 23 Sep 2017 19:37 #2

• Steadfast70
  • Steadfast70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Bayliner 3870 1987 hino 175
  • Thank you received: 6
It turned out to be the starting solenoid was my problem. I couldn't find a replacement unit the same style so installed a continuous acting solenoid. This type of solenoid requires a ground wire off the I, ignition post while the original one grounded through the solenoid case. The new unit not only corrected the spotty starting sequence it also corrected the spotty action of the fuel control solenoid with it increasing the RPM on start up and the stopping of the unit on turning off the ignition switch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds