Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: macerator pump fail

macerator pump fail 11 Jun 2017 17:35 #1

• Happy Friday
  • Happy Friday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I decided to fill my holding tank with some water in order to clean it out a bit but to also allow me to exercise the macerator pump. With the tank about 1/3 full I pressed the pump button at the helm and it sounded like it was working however 4 or 5 seconds in to the experiment it stopped abruptly. I located the fuse (20amp) and it was blown. I ran out of time to try replacing the fuse and continuing but I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience. Should I spend some time lubricating the parts on the exterior of the pump that I can see? It appears to be the original pump 1990. Thoughts? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

macerator pump fail 11 Jun 2017 18:13 #2

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622
The pump shaft should have a groove that is accessible from one end, often under a rubber plug. Use a flat blade screwdriver on this groove to turn the the shaft. This may free it and get it working again. I recommend that you do this or use the pump once or twice a year to keep it free.

Also, many Bayliners have undersized macerator pump wiring. This results in an excessive voltage drop, reduced pump power, stalling, and fuse burnout. I've had good luck with running fused, heavy gauge wires directly to the pump from the MBSS and a good ground, and using a relay to actuate the pump from the switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy Friday

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

macerator pump fail 11 Jun 2017 18:26 #3

• Boyd
  • Thank you received: 5
MBSS?

"Why Naut"
1996 Bayliner 4087
Twin Cummings 6BTA5.9M2
Anacortes, WA

macerator pump fail 11 Jun 2017 18:42 #4

• Happy Friday
Thanks Norton Rider. I remember thinking that the wiring looked kind of skinny. I'll get in there and free it up and try to grease it where possible, replace the fuse and see where that leaves me. I don't want to replace it but I guess I'll have to see what happens.

1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

macerator pump fail 11 Jun 2017 19:48 #5

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Boyd wrote: MBSS?

Main Battery Selector Switch

Anacortes, WA

macerator pump fail 12 Jun 2017 19:21 #6

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I've gone through 4 macerators (Jabsco) in 5 years, but this one seems to be doing better. What have I done differently? Basically I use it all year and I've taken to dropping a teaspoon of cooking oil into the head each time away from the dock. So far so good..

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

macerator pump fail 12 Jun 2017 23:37 #7

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
The other thing that I think kills many of these is that they are typically mounted low and always have "stuff" in the line which will compromise the seal and get to bearing/bushings.

If you are replacing look at how to either make it mount higher than the tank or at least so it is not the low spot that will have "stuff" all of the time. If you can rotate so the motor end is up (this is recommended in the install guide)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy Friday

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

macerator pump fail 12 Jun 2017 23:45 #8

• floatyerboat
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 93
or quit eating so much sweet corn.

Dan
Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
Claudia V. III
1988 - 3218
Gas Drives

macerator pump fail 28 Aug 2017 15:52 #9

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59

Nikko wrote: I've gone through 4 macerators (Jabsco) in 5 years, but this one seems to be doing better. What have I done differently? Basically I use it all year and I've taken to dropping a teaspoon of cooking oil into the head each time away from the dock. So far so good..

Well - Macerator #4 (in 6 years) failed - or so I thought. I'd pumped the tank (it was quite full so pump run time was lengthy). When it was empty I flushed through about 6/7 gallons of water back into the tank, and had about half that pumped out when phht... dead.

This weekend I wormed my way into the cave and prepared to swap the pump. After snipping the hot wire, I powered it directly form another source just to see if the pump was truly dead. The pump worked... Turned out the fuse popped.. It's never popped before... So when put all this together I always reach the same conclusion - impedance eon power CCT if too high, voltage drops, current rises, motor gets hot and phht..dead. Only this time the (20A) fuse caught it.

In an attempt to see if I'm right, I added a pilot relay right a the macerator CCT. The "old" macerator on/off CCT now just has to power the coil on the relay - the actual power to the pump is from a new source (power post I added to the cave during the battery re-wire) shunted through the relay and not only has about 2' of #10 wire supporting it.

First test - the motor sounded stronger than any of them ever have! Let's see if this works. And if it doesn't..the spare macerator is still aboard ;)

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

macerator pump fail 29 Aug 2017 12:04 #10

• SuperiorDiver
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
About 5 years after we purchased our boat, the forward head macerator quit, blowing fuses. I disassembled the unit and all seemed fine with the motor section. When I installed the impeller, the unit required quite a bit more torque to rotate.

Everything looked OK, so I added another gasket to the cove plate. The unit has been working for 6 years since. No clue if/why the impeller swelled or changed after 5 years, but all is good now.

macerator pump fail 29 Aug 2017 14:03 #11

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Nikko wrote:

Nikko wrote: I've gone through 4 macerators (Jabsco) in 5 years, but this one seems to be doing better. What have I done differently? Basically I use it all year and I've taken to dropping a teaspoon of cooking oil into the head each time away from the dock. So far so good..

Well - Macerator #4 (in 6 years) failed - or so I thought. I'd pumped the tank (it was quite full so pump run time was lengthy). When it was empty I flushed through about 6/7 gallons of water back into the tank, and had about half that pumped out when phht... dead.

This weekend I wormed my way into the cave and prepared to swap the pump. After snipping the hot wire, I powered it directly form another source just to see if the pump was truly dead. The pump worked... Turned out the fuse popped.. It's never popped before... So when put all this together I always reach the same conclusion - impedance eon power CCT if too high, voltage drops, current rises, motor gets hot and phht..dead. Only this time the (20A) fuse caught it.

In an attempt to see if I'm right, I added a pilot relay right a the macerator CCT. The "old" macerator on/off CCT now just has to power the coil on the relay - the actual power to the pump is from a new source (power post I added to the cave during the battery re-wire) shunted through the relay and not only has about 2' of #10 wire supporting it.

First test - the motor sounded stronger than any of them ever have! Let's see if this works. And if it doesn't..the spare macerator is still aboard ;)

Your experience mirrors mine. Most Bayliner marcerators are inadequately wired and there's too much voltage drop. A relay combined with correct gauge wire and a good source of power is the way to go.

Anacortes, WA

macerator pump fail 29 Aug 2017 19:50 #12

• Happy Friday
update: Well I removed the old macerator and discovered that the motor end of it was mounted below the pump end of it and a ton of 4200 (or some equivalent) had been added everywhere to prevent further dripping/leaking of "stuff" from pump into motor. When I cracked open the macerator - intent on rebuilding it- I couldn't believe it worked at all considering all the corrosion everywhere. So I begrudgingly replaced it with a new one et voila problem fixed. Thanks for all the advice, I am starting to believe that since these pumps let go quite quickly it may feel like I rent this pump rather than own it.

1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds