Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 04:52 #1

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215
On the heels of my failed Alba Combi to NMEA2K project , I was able to get a refund on the device, and have now received the Noland RS11 .

Did a trial implementation tonight.

- Connected RS11 to PC via USB -- Windows 7 installed the drivers from the Internet
- Connected RS11 to 12V power, software successfully connected to the device (had to tell it which COM port to use)
- Connected leads to Port and Starboard Signal and Ground posts on my tach and connected those to the appropriate inputs.
- Set Pulses per Revolution values (number of flywheel teeth in my case) to 159

Saved configuration and started engines. So far so good. Both tachometers are now sending readings. I've tested the RPMs up to approximately 1800 briefly and both are working (Alba Combi would stop reading after 850 RPMs).

- Have Fuel Tanks and Engine Temps connected as well but I ran out of time.

More to come/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 12:55 #2

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610
Did you leave the tachs connected?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 14:09 #3

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215

Norton Rider wrote: Did you leave the tachs connected?


Yes. In reading their documentation they suggested for a pulse sender like in the diesel engines there are 2 ways to connect. You can use just the signal wire into the RS11 or, use both the signal and ground wires into the +/- ports on the RS11. They suggested the second way provides a more stable reading so that's what I did. Working well thus far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 14:38 #4

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610
That's also the way I wired mine. I may have a chance to do some troubleshooting tomorrow. If the calibration still looks OK (159 teeth), I may disconnect the tach ground to the RS11 and see if that makes a difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 15:59 #5

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215
They also suggest that if the reading is erratic to reverse the + and - leads.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 03 May 2017 16:31 #6

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610

TenMile wrote: They also suggest that if the reading is erratic to reverse the + and - leads.


That's also on the list. I may do that first

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 06 May 2017 01:28 #7

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215
OK, the RS11 was just too easy.

Still doing some minor tweaks to the gauges, but it's running and working now. I do have to say -- as much as the Alba Combi is open to tweak and adjust -- the RS11 is so much easier to configure. Run the wires from the gauges, tell the inputs what each sender is, tell the system the current value (e.g fuel is 95% full) and that's it. Chartplotter picked up the Noland, updated the values and it's working.



This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33, Dirtyface, CptCrunchie, Wort123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 06 May 2017 15:48 #8

  • Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Posts: 1000
  • Thank you received: 71
WOW! That's great, Terry! It was that easy, huh? . . . sounds like an endorsement if I've ever heard one. We appreciate all your efforts on the project and letting us know what's good and what's bad. It'll make my journey into that project a lot easier. Thanks.

PS - interesting, just noticed that the port tack colors are backwards relative to what you might expect and the engine temp scale is off a few, I guess. Are those items that you're tweaking? Assuming that those are all "options" that you have the ability to change or reverse or whatever . . . :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 06 May 2017 16:03 #9

  • dpeery
  • dpeery's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 366
  • Thank you received: 66
What he showed was the rs-11 utility. It's just for configuration. The simrad shot below is the norm.

There are some odd things in the rs-11 laptop software. They have a new version coming out soon, maybe that will be fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Hino 135s / Water Cooled Turbos
Texas Gulf Coast

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 06 May 2017 23:49 #10

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215

Dadrock33 wrote: WOW! That's great, Terry! It was that easy, huh? . . . sounds like an endorsement if I've ever heard one. We appreciate all your efforts on the project and letting us know what's good and what's bad. It'll make my journey into that project a lot easier. Thanks.

PS - interesting, just noticed that the port tack colors are backwards relative to what you might expect and the engine temp scale is off a few, I guess. Are those items that you're tweaking? Assuming that those are all "options" that you have the ability to change or reverse or whatever . . . :S


Yeah, that's just the RS11 Calibration software so not used much after the system is running.

For wiring, what I did was take a length of CAT-5, stripped back about 10" so that the wires would fan out to the gauges. I crimped spade tips on the ends of the wires and put them under the nut on the back of the sender terminals on each gauge. That keeps the wiring neater and all bundled in the same cable. I needed 8 connections so the CAT-5 worked out perfect. The water tank pictured is actually waste water and the RS11 doesn't have a waste water option so I just used fresh water. On the RS11 it uses a Euro-block style screw down terminal so I just bared back a small section of wire and terminated it.

The RS11 has about 1/3 the number of connection capabilities as the AlbaCombi. In a twin engine setup it has enough to do both RPMs (or Fuel Flow) and 6 additional gauges (3 of which can be taken straight off a sender like I did with the waste tank). So really it's RPM, Temp, Fuel and Pressure for each engine. If you want more than that, you simply add a second unit (they sell them in twin pack starter kits that also includes the NMEA2K backbone).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 07 May 2017 00:52 #11

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610

TenMile wrote: The RS11 has about 1/3 the number of connection capabilities as the AlbaCombi. In a twin engine setup it has enough to do both RPMs (or Fuel Flow) and 6 additional gauges (3 of which can be taken straight off a sender like I did with the waste tank). So really it's RPM, Temp, Fuel and Pressure for each engine. If you want more than that, you simply add a second unit (they sell them in twin pack starter kits that also includes the NMEA2K backbone).


Noland now makes a unit with more inputs, the MD33;

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 07 May 2017 13:11 #12

  • Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 236
  • Thank you received: 11
My interest in digitizing was to get accurate readings for RPM, pressure and temperature. I just installed EGT and boost. I can see these new instruments and the digitized readings on the MFD easily from the FB and I usually operate from the pilothouse anyway. I guess some audible alarms would be good, but I really don't know what else I would consider essential to add but I'm really just getting started.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 08 May 2017 02:43 #13

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215
Test at speed today. RPMs, fuel and temp all working.

My analog tachometers and these digital ones are about 150 - 200 or so RPMs off one another. I could feel the engines in sync so I suspect the 18 year old analog gauges are a bit out. Photo is a bit small - but analog gauges are at roughly 2600 and digital at 2480.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wort123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 28 May 2017 11:08 #14

  • Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 236
  • Thank you received: 11
I just ordered an RS-11 and will hook it to my NSS 12 evo2. Can I use the same power source? Anything I need to know that hasn't been discussed here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 28 May 2017 15:31 #15

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215

Wort123 wrote: I just ordered an RS-11 and will hook it to my NSS 12 evo2. Can I use the same power source? Anything I need to know that hasn't been discussed here?


It draws very little power so yes you could use the same power source as your plotter or connect it to a spare Accessory switch.

On mine, I left the USB cable attached and set it where I could easily access it. I mounted mine behind the lower helm dash in a void there which made connecting to the gauges very easy -- plus it's dry and secure there. You can fine tune the readouts by taking actual measured readings (e.g. fuel level or temp) and that makes the unit more accurate. You need the USB connected to a Windows machine to make that adjustment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wort123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 20 Jun 2017 06:57 #16

  • Timcup
  • Timcup's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 154
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks Terry! Wanted to see where you bought yours? And if you have seen better pricing since you bought it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Craig
Nanaimo bc
1987 bayliner 3818
w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 20 Jun 2017 15:58 #17

  • Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 236
  • Thank you received: 11
Terry, I'm working on RS11 setup with my Simrad evo2. Could you send me setup parameters for oil pressure and engine coolant temp?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD
Last Edit: by Wort123.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 09 Jul 2017 18:27 #18

  • Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 236
  • Thank you received: 11
Tachs seem fine up to around 2000 RPM, above that they just drop back down. Any Ideas?
Oil and temp are getting closer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 09 Jul 2017 20:52 #19

  • dpeery
  • dpeery's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 366
  • Thank you received: 66
Sounds like you are losing signal strength. There is a booster on noland's website. But you can email or call them and they can offer advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wort123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Hino 135s / Water Cooled Turbos
Texas Gulf Coast

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 10 Jul 2017 03:05 #20

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215
Try reversing the send/ground leads from the gauge to the RS-11. Apparently that can work.

My engines are Cummins B-series which have a sender on the flywheel that counts teeth. So far, no issues up to 3000+ RPMs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 23 Jul 2017 01:09 #21

  • Knot Happy
  • Knot Happy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Hmmmm
  • Posts: 99
  • Thank you received: 27
This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Has anyone tried to use the NoLand for EGT? I was looking at the spec and it did not show that as one of its sensor options. I sent an email to NoLand but have not yet heard back from them. It does look like a great choice for the rest of the engine data I want to digitize.

I know Maretron has a temperature module for NMEA conversions that specifically indicates it has 2 high temp channels for type K thermocouples ( that's the pyrometers as I understand so far) however that unit does not pick up tach signals and it would be nice to only use one brand if possible.

Has anyone setup their EGTs to feed NMEA 2000 with any other converters and if so what is your configuration?

I am planning to put the conversion modules in the engine room and then run NMEA network to the pilot house. I have Raymarine MFDs E127 and a Seatalk high speed NMEA backbone already in place and should be able to feed into that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)
Last Edit: by Knot Happy.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 27 Aug 2017 12:04 #22

  • Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 236
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm still not getting the results I expected with the RS-11. Haven't had a chance to test until yesterday. After seeing accurate readings up to 2,000 RPM then dropping off, I reversed the leads. Now, the SB engine reads way too high at idle up to around 1,300 when it seems to settle in.
Is it time to get Noland involved? Darn, I thought this was going to be easy. Now, new props on for two months and my trusty diver sold his business to an unresponsive person who has missed three dates. Boats! lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 28 Aug 2017 16:52 #23

  • TenMile
  • TenMile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1317
  • Thank you received: 215

Knot Happy wrote: This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Has anyone tried to use the NoLand for EGT? I was looking at the spec and it did not show that as one of its sensor options. I sent an email to NoLand but have not yet heard back from them. It does look like a great choice for the rest of the engine data I want to digitize.

I know Maretron has a temperature module for NMEA conversions that specifically indicates it has 2 high temp channels for type K thermocouples ( that's the pyrometers as I understand so far) however that unit does not pick up tach signals and it would be nice to only use one brand if possible.

Has anyone setup their EGTs to feed NMEA 2000 with any other converters and if so what is your configuration?

I am planning to put the conversion modules in the engine room and then run NMEA network to the pilot house. I have Raymarine MFDs E127 and a Seatalk high speed NMEA backbone already in place and should be able to feed into that.


I don't see why it wouldn't work. The RS-11 provides you two choices. If you have an existing gauge, it can connect directly to the signal wire off the gauge and use the existing voltage provided by the engine. If you are adding a new sensor and not planning to install an analogue gauge the RS-11 can supply voltage directly to the sensor. You just need to get the associated temperature based on sense voltage from the sensor manufacturer, or you could manually input the temperature using a laser temperature sensor. The RS-11 assumes a linear reading (I believe most sensors do this) and only requires 2 readings. You'd calibrate it by taking a temperature at idle, and one at high RPMs while underway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 28 Aug 2017 18:54 #24

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610

Wort123 wrote: I'm still not getting the results I expected with the RS-11. Haven't had a chance to test until yesterday. After seeing accurate readings up to 2,000 RPM then dropping off, I reversed the leads. Now, the SB engine reads way too high at idle up to around 1,300 when it seems to settle in.
Is it time to get Noland involved? Darn, I thought this was going to be easy. Now, new props on for two months and my trusty diver sold his business to an unresponsive person who has missed three dates. Boats! lol


I had the same problem, the RPMs were accurate until approximately 1500. Then they would drop off and/or be inaccurate. I reversed the leads and now there's no RPM signal. I have not had a chance to do any more troubleshooting and/or call Noland. Keep us posted regarding what they say when you call them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Noland RS11 to NMEA2000 Digital Gauge Project 28 Aug 2017 18:59 #25

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3255
  • Thank you received: 610

TenMile wrote:

Knot Happy wrote: This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Has anyone tried to use the NoLand for EGT? I was looking at the spec and it did not show that as one of its sensor options. I sent an email to NoLand but have not yet heard back from them. It does look like a great choice for the rest of the engine data I want to digitize.

I know Maretron has a temperature module for NMEA conversions that specifically indicates it has 2 high temp channels for type K thermocouples ( that's the pyrometers as I understand so far) however that unit does not pick up tach signals and it would be nice to only use one brand if possible.

Has anyone setup their EGTs to feed NMEA 2000 with any other converters and if so what is your configuration?

I am planning to put the conversion modules in the engine room and then run NMEA network to the pilot house. I have Raymarine MFDs E127 and a Seatalk high speed NMEA backbone already in place and should be able to feed into that.


I don't see why it wouldn't work. The RS-11 provides you two choices. If you have an existing gauge, it can connect directly to the signal wire off the gauge and use the existing voltage provided by the engine. If you are adding a new sensor and not planning to install an analogue gauge the RS-11 can supply voltage directly to the sensor. You just need to get the associated temperature based on sense voltage from the sensor manufacturer, or you could manually input the temperature using a laser temperature sensor. The RS-11 assumes a linear reading (I believe most sensors do this) and only requires 2 readings. You'd calibrate it by taking a temperature at idle, and one at high RPMs while underway.


The issue is that the RS-11 does not transmit the PGN for EGT. It does transmit coolant, engine oil, and transmission oil temperature. So maybe one of these can be used to emulate EGT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum