Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ????

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 15 May 2009 16:46 #1

• xsailor
  • xsailor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm getting ready to install the VHF and antenna on my new 1802 and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I'd like to place the antenna in approximately the same position as Trophy does (see this pic for stock location: http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company27857/122454_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg ) just lower on the coaming (closer to the deck). My plan is to install a screw out inspection plate on the inside of the coaming so that the antenna mount can be through bolted rather than just screwed on. Anybody have any idea what's inside that coaming? Foam maybe? Other wiring or throttle and shift cables? Also, how do I get the coax through the coaming and into the dash? Finally, I'm trying to figure out how to connect the GPS to the VHF so that I can use the DSC feature. The radio is a Uniden Solara and the GPS is a Garmin 440. The wiring diagram for the GPS is on page 49 of this: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1540_OwnersManual.pdf The wiring diagram for the VHF is on page 5 of this: http://www.uniden.com/pdf/solara%20dsc-BKom.pdf . It appears to me that the black ground for the GPS attaches to the power source negative terminal as well as the brown wire from the VHF, and the blue wire from the GPS connects to the green wire from the VHF (but I'm no marine electrician so a second opinion would be helpful). Any help is appreciated. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 TROPHY 1802
[/B]
"Best Revenge"
90hp Mercury 2-Stroke

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 15 May 2009 17:01 #2

• Pepsican1
  • Thank you received: 0
On my 1802 I installed mine on the port side as they suggest to be 3 feet away from the radio. I mounted mine about 6 inches away from what your picture shows towards the bow. With the cubby on that side, it gives you easy access to tighten bolts,etc. If you decide on doing it this way be sure you have enough coaxial cable to reach the radio.

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 16 May 2009 03:47 #3

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Both units have to be capable of communicating on NMEA0183. This is standard on any newer units, and will be mentioned in the manuals. Consult both of your owners manuals and they should get them talking. If they still do not communicate, contact your GPS manufacturers web site, ask the question, and they will be able to give you the correct connections. I had mine connected properly (Lowrance and ICOM), but there was a setting that had to be turned on on the GPS that neither manual mentioned. Once that was done, my world turned high tech! DSC a a wonderful thing to have on board.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 17 May 2009 04:25 #4

• truckpartskm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I mounted mine in the location I saw uin their flyers, access wasnt to bad trough the cuddy. There is an access panel, other than standin on your head its not too bad.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Kelly Mahoney, Ocean Park, and Vancouver WA http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album839

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 17 May 2009 17:52 #5

• xsailor
  • xsailor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1

truckpartskm;296516 wrote: I mounted mine in the location I saw uin their flyers, access wasnt to bad trough the cuddy. There is an access panel, other than standin on your head its not too bad.

Wow........you could get at that through the cuddy? I could barely reach the horn. :mad: Long story short, I installed a 4" screw out inspection plate right behind the throttle/gear shift and installed the antenna with a backing plate and through bolts. seems to work pretty good. Still can't figure out the VHF to GPS connection and neither manufacturer was any help. anybody have any ideas?

2007 TROPHY 1802
[/B]
"Best Revenge"
90hp Mercury 2-Stroke

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 17 May 2009 22:25 #6

• truckpartskm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I found the wiring instructions from Garman confusing, I ended up finding a good diagram on a vhf web site, sorry I cant remember the brand. The way Garman explains it, it sounds like it wires backwards to how it should be. I will look and see if I saved my note in the shop when I get home from the beach.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Kelly Mahoney, Ocean Park, and Vancouver WA http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album839

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 20 Jun 2009 06:03 #7

• truckpartskm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
by the way, thats my daughters legs in the picture above. she was rockin out on the sterio with her ipod while i was playing camera man:)

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 20 Jun 2009 13:42 #8

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
NMEA out and NMEA in. The GPS is the "talker" and the DSC radio is the "listener," so the GPS's out wires connect to the radio's in wires; positive to positive, negative to negative. Write the colors down in your manuals in case you ever have to troubleshoot.

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 20 Jun 2009 22:33 #9

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
As one who was a professional marine electronic tech, I strongly suggest spending the extra money and get a stainless steel antenna mount. The plastic ones are not that strong. The shop I worked for would not install plastic mounts.
When I got this 2452, I took out the plastic mount the first weekend and threw it away. Put on shakesphere 4087 in its place. The holes wee close but did not match. had to relocate holes and fill others. By doing the stainless mount the first time, makes it easier.

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

1802 WA VHF Antenna Install ???? 21 Jun 2009 01:29 #10

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Plastic mounts are worthless.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds