Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: House battery relocation on a 2859

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 03:15 #26

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1
I just removed all concrete from my 2005 289, and decided that it's a poor use of space to have nothing under the fish box on the starboard side, so am now moving batteries that way.

Currently that is where both batteries will live, but now thinking I'll move house battery forward to at least the aft cabin foot storage area. Plan is to replace with two 6v golf batteries actually and tie into inverter and 420 watts of solar panels.

Anyhow, my questions to you guys.

#1. Is there a notable improvement moving batteries forward to under v berth?

#2. If I removed concrete and move batteries to starboard, will my boat now list to starboard? I have a port mounted 9.9 pro kicker on swimstep, and plan on putting other items (maybe extra downrigger balls) on port side, but still, I am looking at a port minus 180lb of concrete minus 120 lbs of batteries... And starboard plus 120.... so I am wondering if I went too far in moving batteries.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 03:56 #27

• jongleur
  • Thank you received: 3
Aft cabin foot storage area has holding tank. Where
would you put the batteries? If you put them above,
how do you look into cells to add water?

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 04:18 #28

• KPS
On my boat, I have a storage area at the foot of the bed that goes above the holding tank area. I think 2 golf cart batteries would fit there easily.

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 05:22 #29

• sketch96
  • sketch96's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
  • Thank you received: 20
That shelf isnt that strong you may have to do some reinforcing before putting 120lbs+ of batteries there.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 05:23 #30

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 809

KPS wrote: #1. Is there a notable improvement moving batteries forward to under v berth?

#2. If I removed concrete and move batteries to starboard, will my boat now list to starboard? I have a port mounted 9.9 pro kicker on swimstep, and plan on putting other items (maybe extra downrigger balls) on port side, but still, I am looking at a port minus 180lb of concrete minus 120 lbs of batteries... And starboard plus 120.... so I am wondering if I went too far in moving batteries.

Thanks.

1-weight up front will likely improve the boats time to get on plane and its attitude while on plane. Batteries under the V birth was something I had considered also during my rebuild but decided against that option because of the potential off gassing from flooded batteries.
2- yes, you will list a decent amount to starboard after removing and moving that much weight around. This is the main reason I now have 3 group 27's sitting on the port side box (Where I removed the concrete) and my single start battery on the starboard side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knollman, KPS

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 14:04 #31

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
I removed the concrete but placed my start and one house battery on the shelf above plus a 15hp merc kicker on the port side to counter the 180lbs of concrete being removed. Also placed a group 31 agm under the v birth centered in the middle. You will need to counter what you removed for concrete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 15:22 #32

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 184
Moving battery's in my boat, I cut out the fish well on the stab. side soo much more room, build a battery box all the way forward to the bulk head, yes I have a kicker port side aft of the swim deck, battery's are 1 big 12V 2 6V golf cart for the house 1 Optima- sealed top forward for the windless. don't like fumes under the bunk.

Old Glue

House battery relocation on a 2859 14 Sep 2017 16:01 #33

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
Agreed! Dont place a reg. Flooded cell battery in the cabin. Gel or agm are sealed and superior to flooded cell batts.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

House battery relocation on a 2859 15 Sep 2017 03:11 #34

• KPS
Got everything reconnected on the starboard side in the engine bay. Have not moved any house batteries inside yet.

Like the port storage area I now have.

Will test out boat on water tomorrow (currently on trailer) and see if I went overboard. Have a few spare downrigger balls if needed on port side. Plan is to also store 2hp dinghy motor and an inflatable paddle board down there.

Also have new stainless 21p Solas ss prop just installed.

Hoping the weight of the 9.9 pro kicker offsets the concrete removed.

Will be nice to sleep with my head not tipping down towards port.

House battery relocation on a 2859 15 Sep 2017 05:37 #35

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
The 15hp pro kicker with power tilt and extra long leg is approx 135lbs if i remember correctly. Not sure what the 9.9 would weigh or if you have the power tilt/trim etc. But You need around 40 to 50lbs extra to really offset that 180 lbs on the port side.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

House battery relocation on a 2859 15 Sep 2017 13:42 #36

• KPS
1 2hp Honda and 2 spare downrigger balls should do it then.

I did read that every 400lbs of additional weight requires 1 more gallon per hour at cruise.

Concrete removal alone is close to half a gallon per hour on paper. If I get 1000 hours out of an engine, that's 500 gallons of gas saved..... On paper.

Tonight I head out to Friday Harbor and/or Pender Island for weekend with family. Fingers crossed.

House battery relocation on a 2859 15 Sep 2017 18:18 #37

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
I hope your right on that! Ive dropped approx 380 off the back end. That would be nice!!!

I went to the machine shop and asked them about the wear and tear on the motor i just rebuilt for my boat at approx 5 to 600 hrs and they told me that that was about the average life span of a big block marine motor. I was a little shocked because i keep seeing people saying they are getting upwards of 1000 to 1500 hrs before rebuilding? Time will tell i guess as everyone is different in the way they maintain their stuff. I am hoping for 1000hrs!!lol.

Have a great trip KPS!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 00:23 #38

• KPS
Well, certainly there is a starboard list now. Thinking I will put two golf cart batteries behind the fridge and leave starting battery in the back. Just need to figure out how to route wire from there back to engine area.

In other news, the boat felt noticably lighter in the back. Seemed quicker to get up on step.... But it could be my new prop too.

New Solas SS 21p hit the nail on the head too. Now cruising around 3800-3900 rpms at 28-30mph at an average of 1.9mpg today. Impressive to me because I had a 21ft Robalo and 2452 that both got same or less mpg. Eventually I got the 2452 up to 2.2 mpg with different propping, but 1.9 mpg with 4 people, fishing gear, half water and full gas seems great. Optimistic I'd get 2.0 or better with a lighter load.

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 02:11 #39

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
Wow! I havent heard of anyone with a 2859 bbc getting better than 1.2 to 1.3 on the internet so far! Gives me hope that it can be done. Thanks for the report on how the boat felt after removing the concrete. Havent tried mine out yet!

Is that new prop a 4 blade? Mine came with a power tec 21p 4 blade stainless. The PO said it was a game changer after he put it on. Curious as i wasnt sure about going up in pitch from the stock 19p 3 blade.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 02:41 #40

• KPS
My prop is a 3 blade and I'm selling a 4 bladed power tech 18p. I'm not impressed with power tech from my experience. Way happier with the Solas so far.... And cheaper too..

I have the 5.7 350 mag mpi so that may help fuel economy. Has the smartcraft fuel monitoring so I think I should be getting pretty damn accurate results.

1.9 to 2.0 should be the norm I think based on test results from boat tests on the 288.

Best efficiency speed is faster than many people think. 27-30 mph is the sweet spot. I'll post charts when I get home. Can't post pics from cell phone.

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 02:42 #41

• KPS
288 data

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 02:43 #42

• KPS
Nevermind. Looks like I can post pics from my phone.

This message has attachments images.

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 06:44 #43

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

KPS wrote: Nevermind. Looks like I can post pics from my phone.

Those are impressive numbers for a 28' boat. You have a BII or BIII?

House battery relocation on a 2859 17 Sep 2017 23:44 #44

• KPS
B2.

This message has an attachment image.

House battery relocation on a 2859 20 Sep 2017 01:37 #45

• KPS
Ok, so from last weekend, I totally have a starboard list that I want to fix. I could easily move the batteries back to port, but I like the idea of getting weight forward, as my best cruise always includes some nose down trim tabs which I am sure is negatively impacting fuel economy ( correct me if I am wrong). That being said, I am finding that marine wire isn't cheap, especially in the AWG 0 range, and all of a sudden this looks like a $150+ in materials project. Wondering if the ROI is worth it in terms of performance or economy.

My plan is to eventually put 2 golf batteries in series as the mega house battery, but these are flooded, right? Is this a no-go behind the fridge, or is it OK since the fridge already has so me venting? If I stick with flooded, maybe I am best just sticking with the engine compartment, but moving them forward as much as possible, potentially in front of the water heater ( which I still have out at the moment)

My best thought is to put those house batteries behind the fridge because 1, that access is hard to get to to store other stuff, 2, it will maximize the port side weight deficit, and 3, I have plotted out how I can run the wire using existing holes....

I think I'd keep the starter battery in the back because of its high amp draw.

If the house only was up in the front area or behind the fridge, I am thinking that maybe #4 would be enough, especially since I would be direct wiring in the inverter in the same compartment behind the fridge. I can't see my house draw being more than 30 amps (pot puller) for any given amount of time and according to this chart, 4 gauge might be enough - www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity

Sorry... Kind of rambling here as I make a decision on what to do.

In a related topic... I am also thinking of cutting out the life well box for 2 reasons. 1, it limits storage in that area and 2, I don't really need live bait, and if I did, I'd probably not want it there. Also, it tends to get hot there from the engine so it doesn't work well as a cooler or fish holder. I guess there is a 3, in that I am sure it weighs 30-40lbs, and I don't need that extra weight for something that I don't use.

Thanks

Last Edit: by KPS.

House battery relocation on a 2859 20 Sep 2017 04:40 #46

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
I used the live well to store my crabs and keep them alive. It didn't work as well as the bait tank I had in my 2252. It's too shallow, I didn't have it plumbed, and it's hard to use...the transom door has to be closed to open the lid.
Do you always boat alone? As soon as you put some passengers on board the starboard list should go away. All seating is on the port side. Mine had the port side list and it got horrible when I would have a few overweight people on board. I had to tell one guy to go outside the cabin and stand behind me. Trim tabs don't do much till you're on plane.

House battery relocation on a 2859 20 Sep 2017 18:05 #47

• KPS
Last time I used the bait tank to store crabs overnight, they all died. I think it just gets too warm in there.

Regarding my use of the boat, I will almost never use it alone. When the family is seated on the port side, it is better, but there is still a list.

I am doing some battery research now and will make a plan pretty soon to move the batteries somewhere besides the starboard side of the engine compartment.

green650 wrote: I used the live well to store my crabs and keep them alive. It didn't work as well as the bait tank I had in my 2252. It's too shallow, I didn't have it plumbed, and it's hard to use...the transom door has to be closed to open the lid.
Do you always boat alone? As soon as you put some passengers on board the starboard list should go away. All seating is on the port side. Mine had the port side list and it got horrible when I would have a few overweight people on board. I had to tell one guy to go outside the cabin and stand behind me. Trim tabs don't do much till you're on plane.

House battery relocation on a 2859 20 Sep 2017 19:21 #48

• fishaman
  • Thank you received: 24
I was also thinking about cutting out the fish box on my 2859, but at this time it is the ideal storage for my 6 g emergency kicker fuel tank and propane bottles. Fully isolated from the engine compartment and vented to outside.
As about storing the dinghy motor in the engine area, that's a whole different story... Probably the same as about storing a portable generator close to engine.

Alex
1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

House battery relocation on a 2859 25 Sep 2017 18:01 #49

• KPS
If I want the area to be enclosed again, I could rebuild an enclosure with some plywood, but it would weight less than half as much as the fix box but still offer more than double the storage area. Additionally I could then easily insulate the area, unlike the fishbox, which could be insulated, but the whole thing is curved.

I have opted to keep the batteries in the engine compartment, but like others, I am moving batteries all the way forward on the port side to where the water heater used to be, and am moving the water heater to starboard side fully forward.

As part of this process, I am also wiring in an inverter and am mounting it inside of the transom box, and am pulling AC wire to the main panel where I'll have an inverter/shore power selector switch. I chose this location to keep inverter close to the batteries, and in an area that should stay drive and not be noisy inside the cabin when in used.

Will also be tying in 3 roof mounted solar panels.

Only half way there at this point.

This message has attachments images.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds