Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Apr 2014 20:06 #576

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

2850Bounty wrote:

LRCX 2750 wrote: The problem I'll have is that I don't know what model/year boats to search for that would have the DP Volvo setup. Is there a list somewhere that I could use as a basis for searching?

The Volvo Penta Duo Prop drive was introduced in 1983. It would have been installed on a 280 drive.
The AQ series Duo Prop can be a bolt-on unit to any existing AQ series drive.
The Non-Gimbal system AQ series transom shields, transmissions and Intermediate housings will all accommodate the Duo Prop drive.

The poison of choice, becomes which style transom shield you want to go with.
275, 280, 285 style..... (no power trim)
280 PT...... (second generation power trim)
290 style........ (ok power trim)
C style.......... (excellent power trim)
C-1 and later style......... (excellent power trim)

Your Vicky with a 5.7L SBC will require the 1.95:1 over-all ratio.
Your Vicky with a correctly built 6.3L SBC can use the slightly stronger 1.78:1 over-all ratio.

Thank you Rick. Just when I thought it was going to be simple to make a decision you add all these choices. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Apr 2014 20:35 #577

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Fritzman, I'm trying to following the advice and links I got.

I finished up sanding the hull flat this morning and got it ready to bond the plate in. When that was done I put the spacer back on the lathe and cut the tapered edge so it would glass in smoothly. I also modified a 1/2" socket with slots in it so I could tighten up the through hull fitting when the time comes.
Leveled out and ready to be cleaned up.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The tapered edge. You can see the fitting socket on the right.

With the through hull fitting threaded in, it sits flat enough that I couldn't get my fingernail under it anywhere. The area is now about 1 1/4" thick before I add the two layers of mat when it's all bonded together. I think that will do nicely.

I've decided to mount the valve to studs that will be threaded into the spacer instead of drilling all the way through the hull. If for some reason later on I need to go all the way through it won't be that big of a job. But the through hull fitting will be pulling all this together when it's all assembled. I think that will be sufficient. I think it was Dave that gave me THIS LINK if you want to see what I was following.
Now I have to find some 5/16" silico-bronze bolts that I can make the three mounting studs from. So far none of the home stores carry them.
Would SS studs cause a problem here with corrosion since they'll be in contact with the bronze?

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Apr 2014 02:42 #578

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I was able to find a local supplier that I ordered the silicon-bronze bolts, washers and nuts to mount the seacock. I'm sure it will take a few days though, so I worked on the hatch cover in the floor section that accesses the valve. I settled on a 8"x8" opening after the backing ledge is installed for the hatch cover to sit on. The hatch plate is 9"x9" sitting on a 1" lip in the opening. I'll bond the ledge with mat and hopefully lay it all the way around to seal it all up at the same time. I think that's going to be a fun thing to babysit while it all sets up and cures.

The hatch opening with the cover sitting on the side. It hasn't been routed around the edge yet.

The underside of the floor with the ledge cut to an angle and rounded over so the mat lays down smooth.

All these small things that need being done sure eat up a lot of time. Things seem to be crawling compared to the larger parts of this project. :dry:

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Apr 2014 03:00 #579

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 809
Things seem to be crawling compared to the larger parts of this project. :dry:
I hear ya there.
Your floor hatch looks great! Very well thought out IMO, nicely done :) the figuring takes a fair amount of time for sure. Keep up the amazing work dude B)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Apr 2014 22:39 #580

• lallan
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is a DP in San Diego, not mine:

280 dual prop outdrive, complete with transom sheild,195 gears, $1,200

link to ad

Lance A.
1986 2860 Trophy soft top
5.7 gm replacment motor, freshwater cooled.
Volvo 280 or 275 with Douprop added.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Apr 2014 12:18 #581

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Larry, that Duo Prop would be a good buy if it's OK internally.

As with any Duo Prop lower unit that I would purchase, I'd ask the seller if he'd be willing to pull the prop shaft bearing carrier so that I could peek inside.
A view of the three gears and a partial view of two bearings will give you an idea of it's condition.
Due to the cost of gears, bearings and set up time, and in the event that it was NOT OK, it would behoove you to do so.

Nothing changes to any shim value ..... and the cost will be 2 new O-rings only.

You'll want to avoid seeing anything like this.

This message has an attachment image.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 17 Apr 2014 00:02 #582

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Sorry guys. Things have gotten a little hectic here the last couple days.

Lallan,
Thank you for the link to the drive. If your on that forum is it possible to try getting the guys # for me so I can call him? You could PM me.

Rick,
Good advice as usual, but I'll have to talk to the guy first. Then I'll go from there.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 17 Apr 2014 00:51 #583

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
As mentioned above things have been a little off around here lately. I started to hit a bit of burn out but I was able to get the backing ledge glassed to the floor section for the hatch.
That's as far as I've progressed though. I decided to take a short break yesterday and went around shopping for my trucks tires. $625 later I settled on a shop and left it there overnight so they weren't rushed. I have an issue in the suspension that I need to find before they can get it to track straight with the new alignment so I brought it home. On the way home the brakes vacuum power booster blew the diaphragm and I had to struggle for the truck to stop. I tell you all this because I was going to go to get the next two sheets of marine ply after I got home so I could continue cutting out and fitting the flooring for the head. But the boat work is going to be on hold for a while till I get all my gremlins evicted!

So here's what little I've gotten done in the last couple days.
I bonded the backing ledge to the underside of the floor with a layer of mat. I cut a 9x9 square, cut the inside corners and rolled it over and under the ledge so it was bonded and sealed. I masked off the edge of the floor itself so the resin wouldn't get in there. I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the hatch cover yet, so I didn't want resin soaking in that edge in case I need to use the router again.

Using a few brad nails from my finish nail gun I positioned the ledge over the mat and nailed it in position. Then I rolled the mat over the rounded edges and stapled the corners down so it stayed tucked in tight.

I still have to glass the underside of the floor and ledge, but at least it's to the point it can be walked on while I work on making the upper flooring for the head.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get back in the project. Heck, I haven't even gotten the bolts/studs yet for the seacock. :(
I will of coarse update you when I get going again.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 10 May 2014 14:43 #584

• TrophyHunter
  • Thank you received: 10
O.K. Larry,
It has been three weeks since you last posted.
Going through project withdrawals here. :)

Neal

1997 Sea Ray 330 Express Cruiser
Twin 340HP 7.4L MPI
San Francisco Bay and Delta

www.sportsmenyc.org/syc01.htm

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 10 May 2014 17:50 #585

• Nauti Mike
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
Neal I think Larry will accept donations for posts right about now. :whistle:

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 10 May 2014 18:10 #586

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Trust me, your not the only one missing the progress. While I waited to get my truck done, and it did get done, I discovered a problem in one of my bathrooms that ended up being just as much work as the boat. Yep, had to replace the floor. Still not done with that yet, but I'm ready to install the new tile. Unfortunately I've been out of town all week taking care of my mom. Had a small set back that put her in the hospital, but she's fine now and doing good.
I'll be getting home after mothers day and going home to finish the bathroom next week so I can get back to the boat.
I do have all the plywood for the floors and the bronze bolts for the seacock. I just haven't had time to do anything with it. Hope to be back at it in a week or so.

I haven't seen much from Dave's project either. Must be the busy time of the year for all of us.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 10 May 2014 20:31 #587

• TrophyHunter
  • Thank you received: 10
Larry,
Sorry to hear about your mom, but I'm glad she is doing better.
Truck problems and bathroom problems on top of everything. I'd be a bit burned out also.
At least you had all that practice on the boat floor before you had to do the bathroom!
Anyway, glad to hear you weren't abducted by aliens or anything and you will soon be back on the boat project.
Neal

1997 Sea Ray 330 Express Cruiser
Twin 340HP 7.4L MPI
San Francisco Bay and Delta

www.sportsmenyc.org/syc01.htm

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 10 May 2014 23:16 #588

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
I haven't seen much from Dave's project either. Must be the busy time of the year for all of us.
you got that right, my 2 week rot repair is now officially a 3+ week rot repair. Can't really complain though, as the $ is green, but it does cut into my boat fixin time :angry:
Glad your moms doin better :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 May 2014 11:04 #589

• Nauti Mike
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
Larry glad to hear your mom will be home for Mother's Day. Take care of her and yourself and we will stand by. :)

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 May 2014 11:45 #590

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
This thread will remain active.

When I am informed by the OP it can be moved to completed,if he so desires.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 29 May 2014 23:16 #591

• LTCoLKodiak
  • Thank you received: 0
That's a nice job Larry I am starting on a Victoria now doing the same thing replacing the floor.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 04 Jun 2014 18:23 #592

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around, but I'm still working on getting rid of the gremlins that keep hitting here.
The old saying"when it rains it pours" is sometimes a reality. A few days before my last post my right side was hurting a bit and kept getting more intense. So much so that it made it hard to sleep. It turns out that it was the beginning of a case of "shingles" that has wrapped around my right side. If you know anything about this stuff you know it's extremely painful. Trying to concentrate or work on anything was impossible. Even waring a shirt is painful, so the last thing I wanted to do was get in and work on the boat being around fiberglass dust that's all around inside the boat. I think I'm nearing the end of it at this point even though it's not completely gone. As soon as I can put a shirt on without hurting I plan to get back to work in the boat. But for now I'll keep finding little things to do trying to keep busy enough not to pay attention to my side.

It's getting really hot here in Sacramento now, so I'm going to buy one of those small air conditioners at Home Depot and make a temporary window mount for it. There's no way I want to be working in there while it's 100+ degrees outside.
Well, that's it for now. I'll keep following along with the forum and let you know when I finally can get back to work. It's funny, but I've really missed being able to work on the boat. It's felt like I have abandoned one of my children. :(

LTColKodiak, I hope your Victoria isn't as bad as mine was. But I look forward to seeing what your dealing with and watching your progress. Have you started a thread on it yet?

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 04 Jun 2014 18:36 #593

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
sorry to hear that shingles got the best of you. I hope it will go away fast so you can go back to normal life again.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 05 Jun 2014 01:39 #594

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Glad your feeling better Larry, I've been wondering where the heck you was. I haven't had much time to work on mine either but have managed to do some little things here and there. IMO and judging by some of his recent pics, Kodiak will be doing the same as you, down to the original roving everywhere. Looks like he has some experiance in boat rebuilding.
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...dge-27-foot?start=88
Hope ya can get back to it soon dude ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 05 Jun 2014 16:43 #595

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Dave, I am feeling better and think it may only be a few days more before I'm back to normal. What ever that is! :silly:

I just read through his thread and am a bit confused now. I'm not sure if he's going to restore it or part it out. But I'll be watching intently.

Thanks for the link to the stripper. Fiber Glass Stripper The body shop supply company I use has that brand. So getting it here in Cali won't be a problem.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 05 Jun 2014 17:24 #596

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Larry, I must say again, you are doing a wonderful job. Much nicer than need be. Keep up the good work! :)

However, I can't help but comment on the length of your thread here. It's running neck-and-neck with this movie.

I say that it's time for an Intermission!

Please feel free to stretch your legs, use the rest rooms, and visit the concession stand.
We have popcorn, caramel corn, soda pop, corn dogs, hot dogs, cracker-jacks, ju-jus, corn nuts, OEM parts, and beer for those who are of age.

Upon special request, we have chocolate covered shunt resistors, and and twice baked quench pistons.
A bit chewy..... but they are good! :)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 06 Jun 2014 02:16 #597

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Rick, I am of age, send me some beer :lol:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 06 Jun 2014 02:54 #598

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote: Rick, I am of age, send me some beer :lol:

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 06 Jun 2014 09:09 #599

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
This thread will be a great resource for this site.

There is no limit on the amount of posts, or time limit imposed.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 06 Jun 2014 17:06 #600

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

2850Bounty wrote: I say that it's time for an Intermission!

Rick, I think intermission is over since it's been 7 weeks since I've been able to work on the project.
Please return to your seats, the movie is about to continue! :P

Thanks Alen. I never thought this would be such a watched thread. Even in the last 7 weeks of no activity there's been over 1100 views. So I guess it's bringing a few folks to the BOC that are working on a Victoria at least.

Well, in preparation for getting back to work I went to home depot and got a 6000 BTU AC unit yesterday. It fit in the window perfectly. The plywood filler on top has a lip on the back side that holds the unit in place and level. It only took me about 10 minutes to set it up. I have it running today to see just how well it works with the temps getting to 100 degrees. I'll let you know later how well it does.

Sacramento, CA.
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.682 seconds