Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Feb 2014 02:15 #426

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
So far today I got all the stringers leveled to the proper floor height and finished fitting them in place. Then I did a layer of mat/biax over the forward bulkhead and laid a coat of resin in all the chines so I can fill them with paste, hopefully later tonight when the resin coat cures.

I laid the mat and biax on the bulkhead clamped in place so it stayed in position before rolling on the resin.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

All laid up, bubble rolled and curing. You can see the coat of resin in the chines here too getting them ready for the paste filler.

I'm hoping to fill the chines later tonight so I can final fit the stringers with the added glass thickness on the bulkhead tomorrow and get all the stringers soaked and bonded in place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Feb 2014 08:51 #427

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Man is that some nice work! When you’re done it will last 50 years....I mean if BL can hack one together and have it last over 30 years yours may just last forever.

Have you considered remodeling the layout while you're this far in? I always thought the galley would be better situated along the Starboard side. I would have then placed a passenger seat perched on top of a cabinet or hanging locker where the galley was. Kind of like the Saratoga fly bridges of the same era. My admiral’s biggest complaint was she didn't have a good seat while under way to help navigate.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Feb 2014 20:19 #428

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you Wayne. The goal was always to make this boat solid again so I don't need to worry about it's future.
I keep trying to imagine how I might reconfigure the layout. But it's difficult to imagine since I have such little time in it when it was on the water, at the dock only. My main attraction to this boat was the open airy layout of the interior. We'll see what I come up with when the structure and flooring is all back in place. I would like to get rid of the counter top that sticks out. But that's only because it's in my way while I'm working in there right now. And it's the only spot I have to set things on right now.

OK, I did get the chines filled last night before I called it a day. Today I already have the stringers final fitted and their sitting in the shop getting ready to angle cut the ends and pre soak them.

All along I've been of the opinion that BLer's building practices were terrible. And that they didn't know the resin didn't soak all the way through to all of the chopped glass bonding it to the hull. But yesterday when I pulled the toilets water supply valve out of the hull and ground off the white gel coat surface surrounding it, I discovered they had ACTUALLY ensured that the glass surrounding the valve area was well whetted with resin all the way through so water wouldn't soak in. You can see there's no dry chop anywhere around it here. This told me they knew what they were doing with the rest of the build. Rick was right, they should be ashamed!

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Feb 2014 20:41 #429

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
your work is amazing and it is eye opening to see the "guts" of this bayliner build.
I would have a tough time describing the original builders as "Professionals". I have
no problem describing your work as Professional. perhaps this particular bayliner
factory build quality is part of the Bayliner bad rep in many circles. I have to hope
that this original build was a rare bad day in the factory.

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 27 Feb 2014 00:11 #430

• check737
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39

aspen1880 wrote: your work is amazing and it is eye opening to see the "guts" of this bayliner build.
I would have a tough time describing the original builders as "Professionals". I have
no problem describing your work as Professional. perhaps this particular bayliner
factory build quality is part of the Bayliner bad rep in many circles. I have to hope
that this original build was a rare bad day in the factory.

This is not unique to Bayliner.
I was into the guts of my 2005 Regal and believe me some of what I saw was not pretty.
Including the cross threading of the inlet hose to my vacu-flush that I had to seal with 4200.

My mistake, your fault
The only high maintenance accessory on a boat should come in a bikini

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 27 Feb 2014 02:27 #431

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the complements guys. I don't know what else to say except thank you. All I'm doing is rebuilding it the way I think it should be done.
I know this isn't a one of a kind problem boat, I'm just lucky enough to be the one that ended up with it in my life.

I've been getting the stringers and bulkhead soaked and glassed today getting them ready to install. I'm waiting for all of the resin to cure up right now, but I'm not sure I'll get any of them bonded in tonight because it's raining pretty hard right now. I'm hoping it's all cured by the time a break in the rain comes so I can get the stringers back out to the boat without them getting wet.

Soaked and curing.

I almost forgot I had to add a layer of mat/biax on this bulkhead. But it's all soaked and ready now.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 27 Feb 2014 21:13 #432

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Last night I got the port side stringer installed but it was too rainy to take the camera back out there. Today I just finished installing the Strb. outer stringer after coming up with a way to clamp it in place without putting a screw or nail hole in that end. When this one cures I'll get the next one installed. I'm gettin there!

The tail end of this one is nailed in place with a leveling block. But the nails are thin and they will be removed.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 28 Feb 2014 02:58 #433

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Today went well for a change with no interruptions. I was able to get the third stringer installed for the Strb. side that has the cutout for the step in the bathroom. This time I got pics for you with bonding the lap joint with two layers of mat. I think I'm going to do at least one layer of mat/biax on the stringers and hull before I put the last floor/head wall support in. I'll decide that tomorrow when I get in and assess it. With the support installed it makes the working area really tight. So I may wait to install that.

As before, installed and curing.

This is the lap joint with two layers of mat to bond them together and add strength.

I'm really jazzed to get the final structure sections installed. I finally have a full support structure installed! A couple bulkheads to install and I can start in on the flooring/decking.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 28 Feb 2014 04:19 #434

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
Great progress. Once you start installing the decking it will be a lot easier on your body.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 28 Feb 2014 04:34 #435

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 808
Looks great Larry! Betcha can't wait to get the floor in. Then the real fun begins. But you were already having a blast weren't you? ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 01 Mar 2014 01:00 #436

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Dave, I was sitting in the boat after the final stringer was installed and thought to myself how sad it was that getting a few pieces of wood in a boat could make me so happy. I guess those few moments are the times where were having fun isn't it! I saw your post today where your getting ready to do the transom cores. I couldn't help but think about the day I thought that was ALL I was going to need to do. LOL, :P I'm sorry, but I think were in this together now. I'm just a bit ahead of you at this point. Are you going to do a post for your "Restoration" project too? :)

Well, today is a sad day here. We are in the middle of a major down pour that isn't going to allow me to lay any glass. I couldn't get the resin into the boat without it being filled with water if I wanted to. At one point it was raining so hard I could barely see the boat from the patio. Sooo, and I know I'm going to regret this, but not wanting to waste a full day to rain I went ahead and installed the floor/head wall support. It's going to at least allow me to get the final bulkhead made. But I know I'll be whining later when it's so cramped for space while I'm laying up the glass. ;)

Here it is. The only thing accomplished today.

I do have one small stringer extension to make still for the port side, but I think it's time to see "All is Lost", the movie that is. Were not going to see the heavy rain let up till sometime tomorrow afternoon. So I might as well enjoy the break.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 01 Mar 2014 02:44 #437

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 808
The feeling of accomplishment, and Pride, knowing you fixed it, and its fixed way better than it came new! I will post my transom core repair, that's part of the fun too. The feedback from the guys is priceless. I'm not sure I should be lumped in with you as far as skill level, I'm basically learning as I go and by following your examples :lol: Thanks for those by the way!
I've done lots of "probing to my boat to make sure I know what I'm in for but I've already done way more than I initially thought I would. Isn't that always the way these types of projects go. ;)
Keep on keepin on :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 01 Mar 2014 14:43 #438

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I believe that any of us who take on a project like this, experience the phenomenon: "Wow, this is more work than I thought it would be!"
Been there/done that many times, and I'm pretty much filled-to-the-brim.
I've instructed family and friends to stop me if I were to even consider another boat restoration project!

Kudos to you guys! Keep up the good work!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 01 Mar 2014 17:42 #439

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I have to agree that the pride of knowing you did it and that it's done right is the payoff in the end. When we took my 16' Glasspar on the trip to San Fransisco last summer it was a very secure feeling as we road out a few hours of 3'-5' wave sets in the bay. As I sat at the helm I tried to feel if the boat was twisting or flexing as we pounded through the waves. The solid feeling of a job well done made me smile even as the waves crashed over the bow. The projects were taking on now are much bigger than my 16 footer, but the feeling will be just the same in the end. Well worth the effort.

All I can offer with building your skills is to read as many examples and ideas from folks out there that have done projects similar. There are thousands of examples out there and everyone has a slightly different take on them. I researched for days and took ideas from each one that I was comfortable with. You have to read between the lines on some of the stuff on the net. So using common sense interpreting what you read out there is a must. I tried to make sure I found an idea I read about more than once before I considered it fairly sound.
But as you've seen through my project, keep an open mind. If you come up with an idea that may work, try it. Kind of like my prying up whole sections of old structure instead of hours of grinding, or handles screwed onto the transom core to help maneuver it.
Remember that confidence is built over time. The more you do, the more confident you'll be with the next step or project. And don't be surprised late into the project that something looks a lot better this time than the first time you did it.
The folks here in this forum have been a LOT of help to me. Even indirectly through other posts I read. The good part of this group is that they'll tell someone if their doing something wrong and give them a better way to go. That to me earns a lot of respect.

OK, sorry for getting so long winded there. And if you have any questions about something I've done, please ask. I'm sure I've left out a lot of details on how I do certain things, but I'm doing a "How to" post here. It's more of a "Look what I HAVE to do" post. :P I'll be more than happy to clarify something if you need it. But please remember that I don't consider myself one of the experts here.

Go have fun with your project and make sure to let me know when the thread starts so I can subscribe to it.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 02 Mar 2014 06:51 #440

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Before I started laying up mat/biax in the new sections today I finished up the storage compartment in the berth. I bonded the box end in place and then did a layer of mat/biax over the deck including another tab layer up on all sides.
With that finished I ground down all the rough edges from installing the stringers and filling the chines. But just before I was going to start laying up the center section I decided to fill in the hole where the toilets fresh water intake valve was. The hole wasn't very round, and, the plastic valve broke when I twisted the shutoff handle to test it. So the next valve may not be the same size as the new one, so filling it made sense.

Storage box all glassed in and finished. Sorry, the picture is sideways and wouldn't load properly.

Here's the hull all ground down smooth and ready for glass.

To fill the hole I ground it half way through and outwards to a beveled taper and cut mat in progressively larger circles to fill it in. I think there's 9 or 10 layers.

All laid up with resin and bubble rolled to ensure the mat was tight.

Because I'm going to grind this area down smooth before I start laying up glass over it, I covered it with a plastic baggy to seal the resin from the air. That way the surface won't be sticky and it'll be easier to grind.

So tomorrow should be a full day of glass work with at least a layer of mat/biax in each section. Then I can make the last bulkhead before I lay the last layers of glass.
Oh yes, I picked up my 5th bucket of resin and more mat/biax today. I SHOULD be able to finish up the interior with what I have now.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 02 Mar 2014 11:55 #441

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
You have more energy than the Energizer Bunny.

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 02 Mar 2014 18:35 #442

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
It's not so much energy as it is motivation. The temps around here are nice and cool for at least a few more days.
It's a lot easier to lay multiple layers of mat/biax at the same time when it's cool in the boat. Then I can turn on the heaters to cure it.

On that note, I got an early start this morning. The glass is all ground down level now where I filled the hole.

Since I didn't come up with the lap joint idea for the stringer extensions before I did the outer stringers, the front extension is butted up to the bulkhead.
The only thing I could think to do was grind all 4 layers off part of the stringer so I could lay the glass over them both and tie them together. It's still going to
be stronger than original. But I wish I had thought about the lap joint for this too.

Well, it's time to pre soak the stringers and get started laying glass for the day.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 00:26 #443

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Today has been a good one, and lucky. After setting everything up to get started I noticed the clouds looking a little dark. Checking the weather radar I saw rain cells forming right over my area. So I decided to move all the resin and equipment needed inside the boat this time just in case. It paid off too because just as I was starting the layup the skies opened up.
Just minutes before it started to sprinkle I had cut out the mat and biax with the paper pattern I had cut out last night and got it inside the cabin. The mat is rolled up on a tube on the right.

This was my mixing station inside the boat. I had two 64oz buckets ready to go before I started. The mat took one bucket, but surprisingly the biax didn't need that much.

With both layers in place in the center section installed I had a lot of resin left. So I went ahead and did a coat on the hull of 3 of the sections and then thinned it out to pre soak the remainder of the bare stringers wood. Now I guess I'll have to take the evening off while things cure up. Both heaters are running to raise the temp and get things cured. I'm glad I went ahead and installed that last floor/head support section the other day. It gave me a level place to lay some plywood so I had a nice level place to kneel when I did this layup.

I'd really like to get the Strb. section next to this laid up tonight so I can start making the final bulkhead tomorrow. But that all depends on how soon things cure up and how lazy I get by then.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 02:07 #444

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Gee someone getting things done. Weather is crappy here. All I have done is sit back and drink beer, so not a total lose ;)

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 03:35 #445

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Nauti Mike wrote: Gee someone getting things done. Weather is crappy here. All I have done is sit back and drink beer, so not a total lose ;)

Cheers to that Mike. Have one for me since I've decided to be lazy after all tonight.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 04:20 #446

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh Crap! I just noticed it's still early in the evening. The next pattern is traced and both layers of mat/biax are cut out.
I guess it'll be a few more hours before I'm done after all. :unsure:

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 07:37 #447

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OK, I know it's hard to tell by the picture, but the next Strb. side section is laid up with a layer of mat/biax.
Now it's time to go in and watch the movie I started to watch a few hours ago. Tomorrow I get to make the final bulkhead.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 13:29 #448

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Larry said "Tomorrow I get to make the final bulkhead" and I will be blowing snow.

Larry wins he is at least doing boat stuff.

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 22:33 #449

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Nauti Mike wrote: Larry said "Tomorrow I get to make the final bulkhead" and I will be blowing snow.

Larry wins he is at least doing boat stuff.

As they say Mike, Location, Location, Location. :silly:

Not quit as early on the start time today, but I made the pattern of the bulkhead with 3/4" insulation board. With the plywood one made I beveled the edges and did the final fitting. Then it was on the bench to pre soak it. This one is going to get glassed before I bond it into the hull. I need to make sure the bottom of it is well sealed against water. The shower drain goes "under" this one instead of through a hole drilled in it like they did originally. So I may not get it installed today since I have a couple other things to attend to. But we'll see how the day progresses.

It's so much easier to make patterns with this insulation board. Get it close to shape, scribe it to match the shape you want and cut it out with a box knife. Then simple sand the edges to fit.

The level tops of this will get cut to the floor level after it's bonded to the hull. It always changes a little with the thickness of the paste.

Soaked with a few thinned coats and curing.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 03 Mar 2014 22:52 #450

• diveguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Thank you received: 166
First of all, this is amazing work you're doing and I've been following you're journey as have MANY others. You must have been a carpenter in your previous life. Just wondering why you tapered the edges?

Again, I'm in AWE of what you've accomplished let along having the perseverance to tackle this. I would have thrown a match in the gas tank and walked away. Looking forward to the day when you post pics of you cruising on the water with a cold one.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds