Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 13:49 #326

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28

2850Bounty wrote: Larry, I don't recall where I found them, but I keep to old couch cushions (one large/one small) in my shop. I use them to neal on while working in tight areas like that.

Knee pads might be worth considering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 17:32 #327

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

LRCX 2750 wrote: I'll bet you guys thought I threw in the towel and gave up. Nope! I've just had a long fun weekend with my boys.
The break turned out to be a good thing. Yesterday I finished the last layer on the Strb. side so it's now finished.
Today I woke up with a goal in mind but got sidelined by internet issues for most of the morning. With that fixed I dove in on the port side of the cabin.
All 4 layers of the outer box are finished, and I did 2 layers of the section next to it. Lots of coffee and sodas to keep me going too. :P
Tomorrow I'll finish laying the last two layers and start finishing up a few details so I can move on.
David, the tip of rolling a coat of resin on first, then rolling the glass in worked very well. It helps me move the cloth/mat around a bit to position it properly. Thank You!

6 layers in one day.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I am glad I could help. :)

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 23 Jan 2014 00:29 #328

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Malaphred,
Knee pads work, but I hate the way the straps dig into the back side after kneeling on them a long time.

Rick,
I have a couple old cushions around that I'll try next time I can't use the flat board. Good idea. We all know I'll be back on my knees for a while with this project! No comments from the peanut gallery please! :oops:

David,
Not only does it help, but I pushed the limits of it today with great success. All I had left today was a layer of mat and a layer of Biax cloth in a 7' X 24" section. I got to thinking of how thin the mat is that's sewn onto the biax and how it's so hard to chase the bubbles out of it when I lay it over a cured layer of mat. So I put my "brave hat" on and decided to lay the mat on with a coat of slow curing resin, 10 drops per oz, so I had working time. BTW, this was all done in the late morning while the temps outside and inside the boat were still cool. The mat and biax was cut in half for each layer allowing for overlay just in case I got into trouble. They were all staggered so no overlay was at the same place. I laid the first half of the mat down and bubble rolled it, immediately followed with a slightly shorter section of Biax cloth before the mat cured. This worked awesomely. The wet mat under the Biax acted like a wet paste that allowed the two layers to conform to each other. The result was not having to chase bubbles that kept forming in the top layer. They bonded to each other and allowed to resin to stay in place without the stiffer Biax cloth trying to straighten out after being bubble rolled and sucking in air because it didn't conform as easy as the mat does.
When the first half was laid I quickly mixed more resin and continued on with the second half. Everything went really smooth except that it was now getting warmer temps inside the boat. The only problem it caused was dripping sweat from my forehead while I was working even with a fan running. Not a big deal as long as I had a dry rag near me to keep it out of the resin.
The end result was a lot less work even though I had to stay on my toes for an hour and a half at least. Not really sure though since I lost track of time. I was only able to accomplish this because I had experienced the curing times of what I had done previously. This should speed things up in the future since I have a LOT more to do.

Here's the two layers I did today. I know you can't tell, but they were just starting to gel up when I took this picture.

When the curing is finished I'll climb in and decide where I want to go from here. But for me this is a big milestone in the project. I think I'll go have a beer and contemplate my next steps. Thank you all for sticking with me and all the advice you've given. :cheer:

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 23 Jan 2014 00:47 #329

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 356
Coming along nicely, think I'll have a beer as well; thanks

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 23 Jan 2014 04:01 #330

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Since the beginning of this project I've gotten a lot of useful help and tips. I don't feel that I've contributed much in return. Though I'm sure some of you already know about this tool, I'd like to share it with you.
After I lay the glass in a section, sometimes I don't get back to it in time to trim off the excess at the top of a stringer with a box knife. OR, I get there to soon and it's not quit ready. A while back I bought one of those Harbor Freight vibrating shaver/cutter combination tools with a half round toothed cutter. I didn't expect it to do much or last long considering I was cutting hardened fiberglass. After using it during the demolition I was surprised the blade even had teeth on it still. One day after not getting the extra edges cut off in time before they hardened I decided to try it. I was surprised at how cleanly it cut through the layers of hardened cloth without ripping any of the fibers out. In fact, I even use it to trim off the little high spots that sometimes form after a layer of glass. It does a good job of cutting past the surface. If the tacky resin builds up on the blade, I use a box knife to scrape off the buildup while I have the tool running. For a cheap tool, I'm shocked at how well it works for me.

Here's the cutter.

Sliding it back and forth along the back side of the hardened glass seems to get the smoothest results without digging into the wood stringer.

Not a bad cut. The left side just got done today. The right side was done before and has a coat of resin rolled into it.

I hope this helps someone that's been trying to grind down excess with a grinder and the disc gets gummed up with surface resin.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 23 Jan 2014 04:07 #331

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28
COOL!!

I was wondering how you handled that.

I have two of those HF cutters - one is cordless. FWIW, I find the cordless really handy. Cheap too.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 23 Jan 2014 06:39 #332

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
I first got mine for a birthday gift. I thought it would be a cute little detail sander :woohoo:
I have been using it all the time since I got it for just about everything, it works great. I buy aftermarket blades of all types for a lot less than the name brand ones and I actually think they last longer.
Great little tool!
Lookin good Larry keep the pics coming :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 24 Jan 2014 05:23 #333

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
After the type of work put into this project so far, today seemed pretty boring. But the details always seem to eat up more time than you expect. Such was the case today. When I woke up I started thinking about ripping out the wall and the bathroom area. But common sense took over and I worked on the deck plate and floor edge supports instead. Since they are only there to bond the edge of the flooring to, I decided to use 3/4" plywood that was angle cut on my table saw so that when I laid the mat cloth on them it laid nice and smooth. After cutting and grinding each piece for it's specified location I soaked them in thinned resin, 18oz total. Then I mixed up some thick paste and attached them in place using my nail gun to hold then in position. I didn't mix up quit enough paste, so the longest support for the port side didn't get bonded tonight.

All the edge boards soaked in thinned resin.

With a straight edge spanning across the center stringers I scribed a line on the outer stringer where the support board should go.

That's a metal lathe cutting tool clamped to the end of the beam just so I could get a line scratched into the cured fiberglass.

With the paste spread on the backside of each board I nailed them in place and smoothed out the paste in preparation for laying a couple layers of mat over them tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll glass them in place and get ready for the next step. Not sure what that will be at this point, I'll just have to see what catches my attention when I get there. It's not like I don't have lots to choose from.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 24 Jan 2014 13:30 #334

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Larry, I'm not sure why you didn't just level the boat, fill the hull with water up to an inch below the desired floor elevation, and then pour 1" of floating resin and matting over the top of the water!!!!!

:P

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 24 Jan 2014 22:28 #335

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I'm not sure about open top on the stringers ? are you going to round the edges and glass over ? It doesn't look like it but i might be wrong, Or is that the way it was done originally ? I would have routed all edges with 1/2 radius and inerlayed with glass. Fill me in ?

1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 24 Jan 2014 22:44 #336

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 356

GearGuts wrote: I'm not sure about open top on the stringers ? are you going to round the edges and glass over ? It doesn't look like it but i might be wrong, Or is that the way it was done originally ? I would have routed all edges with 1/2 radius and inerlayed with glass. Fill me in ?

yea I was think the same thing. Unless you are attempting to try and bond the new floor to the stringers.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 24 Jan 2014 22:51 #337

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
There is plywood that gets bonded to the top of the stringer. So yes, I'm keeping them flat like they were originally and will be bonding the floor on top of them. Then I'll round over the edges and glass over the plywood and down the sides of the stringers. You can see how it was originally in this picture after I took up the starboard side decking.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 03:52 #338

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well, all the edging strips were glassed in today. And with them in I decided to cut a couple scrap pieces of plywood that would fit the full width of the floor so I can walk on it without worrying about stepping in the wrong place and having the board tip over under me. While I was at it I cut an old sheet of siding to fit on the outer boxes. Now I have a flat place again to set tools and equipment on. Why did I do this? For one thing Taps is out of resin and I only have a half gallon left. So working on the bed for the water tank is kinda out for now. Besides, I need a change of pace for a while. Soooo, I'm going to pull all the stuff out of the bathroom tomorrow so I can discover just how much I need to do there. Yes, it'll probably be all of it just like the rest of the boat. But I did say that when I got the structure solid again I was going to move forward.

Here's the temporary sheeting so I have a level walking area and a place to set equipment on the port side.

And Strb. side.

This shot shows you just what the edge strips were for that I glassed in.

Well that's it for tonight. I'll start the removal of the bathroom area tomorrow.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 04:12 #339

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805

LRCX 2750 wrote: There is plywood that gets bonded to the top of the stringer. So yes, I'm keeping them flat like they were originally and will be bonding the floor on top of them. Then I'll round over the edges and glass over the plywood and down the sides of the stringers. You can see how it was originally in this picture after I took up the starboard side decking.

I know this is a before pic, but what's the foam for? Will you put in new foam?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 05:20 #340

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The expansion foam was put in by BLer to stiffen the outer boxes the entire length of the boat. I'm not sure at this point if I'll replace it, at least not till everything is rebuilt and ready to go. But the old foam did a good job of doing what it was intended to do. It was closed cell foam too. So none of it soaked water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: builderdude

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 09:33 #341

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Well as I think was noted earlier the front windshields leak on these Vicky's and run down behind the galley and head cabinetry and rots out the floor and stringers. I had developed a soft spot in the galley right outside the head and when I tore the floor out to repair I realized everything was a mess. I knew the main salon floor and stringers were needing replacement as well but there were no soft spots so I held off on that and replaced everything from the helm forward. I also replaced that bulkhead head wall on the helm side due to the water damage. Expect the worst! That said you’re doing a hell of a job! Keep up the good work.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 21:16 #342

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My windshield leaks too. I noticed some water dripping from it during a rainy day when I first bought the boat. So far the rot has been confined to the floor under the galley cabinets and in front of the head doorway. But I'm sure I'll find more when I get the flooring cut out.

OK, here's a couple hours progress this morning. I pulled out the sink counter and the toilet so I could get the helm bulkhead wall out. It wasn't that difficult except for the rusted steel bolts holding the toilet down. Steel bolts, really! Anyway, the only major surprise I found was behind the flooring cover they had glued to the hulls side. It was still wet behind there with a bit of mold. It seems that one of the aluminum rivets they used to attach the upper and lower halves has been leaking behind it for a while. But I haven't found any rot yet except for the shower floor bulkhead. But I already knew about that one. BTW, the helm wall didn't have any rot in the bottom of it. I really expected to find some there.

OK, here it is all stripped out and the wall out. You can see the mold there.

This is the rivet that was leaking behind it.

Here's what COULD have been a nasty problem. The toilets drain hose that leads to the black water tank needed to be removed to get the wall out. When I loosened the hose clamp and pulled on it I was shocked to see the ABS fitting had not been properly glued to the valve. It simple came out with no effort. They had silicon glue in there that wasn't doing a very good job. Thankfully the valve was shut down.

Now you can see why I wanted to put all the temporary flooring down.

Well folks, I unfortunately think things are going to grind to a halt for a while. Last night and today I have been coughing a lot. And the body aches and other symptoms are coming along with it. Even though I tried to ignore it today it's already getting the best of me. So I'm headed to the store to get a weeks supplies and a few other essentials I need, as well as a few good movies. I guess I'm going to get a break for a while after all. I'll keep you updated if things change, as I hope they do.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 25 Jan 2014 23:51 #343

• SKUA 28 Contessa
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • In over my head... for sure.
  • Thank you received: 74
Looks a lot like my boat at this point! Once you start pulling things apart you don't stop untill there is nothing left but hull.

1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
On the hard undergoing, a full on refit and repower, with Chevrolet 454
Making real progress now
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/g...to-leak?limitstart=0

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 01:35 #344

• Canemah_Patriot
  • Thank you received: 4

LRCX 2750 wrote: I'm headed to the store to get a weeks supplies and a few other essentials I need, as well as a few good movies. I guess I'm going to get a break for a while after all. I'll keep you updated if things change, as I hope they do.

I recommend Captain Phillips, if you haven't already seen it.

Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 01:57 #345

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Canemah_Patriot wrote:

LRCX 2750 wrote: I'm headed to the store to get a weeks supplies and a few other essentials I need, as well as a few good movies. I guess I'm going to get a break for a while after all. I'll keep you updated if things change, as I hope they do.

I recommend Captain Phillips, if you haven't already seen it.

That's exactly what I'm watching now. Their just boarding the ship. good movie.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 01:59 #346

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

SKUA 28 Contessa wrote: Looks a lot like my boat at this point! Once you start pulling things apart you don't stop until there is nothing left but hull.

That's why I wanted to get most of the structure done before I found more rot and walked away from it. To much invested now to turn back.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 09:14 #347

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
If you can get to your doctor or walk-in soon you can get that shot (I forget what it's called). It should shorten your illness.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 12:11 #348

• Richard Tulip
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • enjoy boating, gadening, woodworking, model making
  • Thank you received: 62
It is probably Tamiflu the walkin will know. Get it you will recover much faster, the sooner the better. It works well early.

Richard

1988 3818 175 HinosNA

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 26 Jan 2014 13:18 #349

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

LRCX 2750 wrote: Too much invested now to turn back.

I hear ya!
Been there/done that!

Larry, if you end up liking or loving this boat, it will have been well worth your efforts!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 31 Jan 2014 02:51 #350

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello again. After what seemed like forever sitting in my recliner watching movies and getting better, I'm back at it. I did a lot of web surfing the last couple days for water tank possibilities. I came up with one from a liquidator for $230, but it's an inch too wide. A local company wants $325 to narrow in up for me, or $725 to build me a completely new one that's made to fit and will only take a couple weeks to get it done. I'm going to think about that one for a while.

BTW, I cut the end of my aluminum tank off to see if I could save it. Not happening! And to think, I made coffee from the water in this tank the first weekend I stayed on the boat!

OK, so absence makes the heart grow founder they say. It must be true since I loved being back in the boat ripping her apart some more. When I started it still looked like the picture above with the white bulkhead wall in place. Yesterday I had bought some different kinds of blades for my vibrating cutter and wanted to try them out. All I can say is that I wish I had started using it from the beginning of this project. It makes cutout and removal sooo much faster, cleaner and easier. Anyway, here it is after a few hours. I had to make a vertical support bar to raise some of the pressure off the wall. It came out pretty simple after getting a few things out of the way.

Once I got all the foam out I was able to see the bulkhead had been wet in the past. Checking it with the moisture meter it's only 12 percent. It would probably be ok, but I have to replace the flooring that leads into the bedroom. (sorry) So I'm going to replace the bulkhead so I can do the flooring behind it all in one piece.
You can see where I removed the glass at the bottom of it to test the moisture.

I was surprised to see that all the stringer forward of the new cabin floor bulkhead were only 3/4" plywood and solid wood. And of coarse they were glassed in worse than the rest of the boat was. In fact, the forward bulkhead is ONLY glassed to the hull on the aft side of it.

Oh, I found what they did with all the resin they didn't pour into the glass. The upper deck head flooring was cut really sloppy. So they stuffed some dry fibers in the hole and poured thickened resin over it to match the height of the floor. It's at least 6"x10" and almost 1 3/4" thick. This pic is after cutting most of it out a piece at a time.

Well, it's good to be back at it again, but as usual there's other things to catch up on too. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

Sacramento, CA.
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds