Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Jan 2014 03:01 #301

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Check out the thickness chart toward the back. It needs to be at least as thick as the original.

Read the section on installing stringers its not that long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Jan 2014 04:00 #302

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

yachtman wrote: Check out the thickness chart toward the back. It needs to be at least as thick as the original.

Read the section on installing stringers its not that long.

Original thickness would be easy to go by, IF THERE WAS and original thickness! I don't think the 1/2" of dry fibers would count as a thickness do you! :silly:
Unfortunately BLer didn't see fit to run the glass all the way up the stapled plywood in this boat. So I guess anything is better than they did originally.

I just finished the layer of biax and one more layer of mat. Tomorrow I'll finish up the ends of the box and the last layer of biax.
Thanks for the advice and direction David. It's helped me make sure I'm going in the right direction that will last longer than the original work.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 06:20 #303

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I got the last layer of biax in the box this morning and it finished up pretty good. I had to repair a set of motorcycle carburetors that came in the mail today for a customer and was pretty happy with the distraction from all the glass work, but it didn't take long. With needing more materials, resin and glass, I headed to Taps for the third 5 gl. bucket of resin and cloth at the cost of $500+. After a bit of dragging my feet I finally got back in and started on the second section between the main stringer and the center one. Getting myself to do this was almost as hard as having to call the X. I knew I had to do it, but really wasn't looking forward to it. :unsure: Anyway, the first layer of mat went pretty good even though I expected it to be more difficult since there was the chine stiffener to go over in the middle this time. Since that went so well I got cocky and decided to lay the biax over it too. WELL, it wasn't as easy and required a lot of babysitting to keep air bubbles out. The 18.8oz biax cloth fought me the entire way. I only laid 4' of it 26 inches wide before my back and knees told me to stop. Thankfully the polyester resin allows me to start back in tomorrow without grinding first. I'm starting to feel the warning you all gave me about the length of time and cost a large project like this demands. And I'm only in the center third of the boat right now.

OK, here's where I am with the next section. It came out ok but took more time to get this far than I thought it would. 2 more layers to go before it's finished.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 11:49 #304

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I'm starting to feel the warning you all gave me about the length of time and cost a large project like this demands.

Stopping or quitting now is not an option!
Keep marching, soldier! :D

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 11:54 #305

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Craigs is full of " unfinished projects ", now you know why.

Failure is not a option.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 12:53 #306

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 360
And leave us all hanging.

That would be like this girl I once dated, get you all excited and then nothing :ohmy:

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 13:53 #307

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Nauti Mike wrote: And leave us all hanging.

That would be like this girl I once dated, get you all excited and then nothing :ohmy:

Dont you just hate a "boat tease" !!!! :)

Larry,
Now you are understanding why a boat your size costs $200000.

Come on larry you can do this. Like I said take it in manageable sections. You are kind of at the worst part. Standing and kneeling for hours on end on bumpy slippery angled fiberglass is tough to do I know I've been there and so have many others that are on your thread.

Trust me we feel and know your pain.

It helps (me anyway) if you can find some one to help you not necesarilly to do the work but to just show up and maybe do a little but to give moral support. So if you have friends or family that are willing to suffer through it with you have them over with a promise of some good boat trips when its done.

I have 5 gallons of epoxy in every stringer in my 32'. At around $100 per gallon. That is just the stringers!!

Some where along the line I lost count.

Don't let the emotionality of it all get to you (easy for me to say)
You aren't that far from getting through this section of the work. Like I said I have 8 hours in each lay up of each stringer. So if yours is similar you should beable to be through this in a week or two and you will be back to doing the more fun stuff.

You are almost done with the original part of the reason for doing this. That is repairing the rot. Not that you have a low self esteem I'm not saying that but you will feel really good when its done about what you accomplished and will be proud of the results and you will know you have a high quality boat .

Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 16:58 #308

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I just got off the phone with Rick 2850 bounty and he said that he is on his way to your house with a truck load of beer. To get you motivated

Don't expect him too soon though or expect any real beer

By the time he gets there the beer will be pretty much gone.. :)

Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 17:19 #309

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Don't worry guys, I'm not going to quit or give up on this. I knew this part wasn't going to be easy. It's just a little difficult climbing back in to lay up another section when my knee is already so swollen. I was pushing myself yesterday because I knew I would have to stop for a couple days to rebuild another set of bike carbs that showed up late last night. I'm going to try and get the remaining layers on in this section today while the carbs sit in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then I can sit back and let the knee get better before I jump back in. This time I'll have padding to kneel on.
Unfortunately there's not much help available to me. My oldest son works out of town most of the time. So I'll push on by myself and enjoy it when it's all restructured.

When this part is finished I have to make a decision on the water tank and the bedding for it. BLer had plywood laid on the hull for the tank to sit on, so I'll need to get that in before I can get accurate measurements so I can either make a new aluminum tank or order a plastic one. If I order one I'm going to have at least a 4 week wait. So in order to get the flooring installed I'll either have to wait till it's in, or make a removable floor panel that sits on top like Astral Blue did. Either way things will slow down later inside. But I have the bilge area to do still, so I'll always have something to do. BTW, I realized yesterday morning that I screwed myself when I put in the main cabin bulkhead. I should have laid up the second core layer on the transom first. But I got so focused on what I was doing I didn't think about it. It's going to be fun putting it in now.

David, did you ever get more posted on your project?

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 17:22 #310

• Canemah_Patriot
  • Thank you received: 4

LRCX 2750 wrote: I headed to Taps for the third 5 gl. bucket of resin and cloth at the cost of $500+. ]

I've done similar work on two boats (a Larson and a Marlin) and I got all of my materials from a local shop that manufacturers fiberglass products. In many cases--most notably, the biaxial woven roving, they let me dig through their scrap bin and take the material without charge. I had to take my own jugs for the resin, but the price was a fraction of what it would have been at Tap or West Marine. Way, way back, when I worked in fiberglass shops, people would often come in to buy small quantities of glass or resin, which the owners were happy to sell. It was easy money for them and good price for the user.

Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 17:23 #311

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

yachtman wrote: I just got off the phone with Rick 2850 bounty and he said that he is on his way to your house with a truck load of beer. To get you motivated

Don't expect him too soon though or expect any real beer

By the time he gets there the beer will be pretty much gone.. :)

LOL, if he made it here with it I can only imagine what the inside of this would look like. We wouldn't get anything done with a truck load! :P

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 17:27 #312

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Canemah_Patriot wrote:

LRCX 2750 wrote: I headed to Taps for the third 5 gl. bucket of resin and cloth at the cost of $500+. ]

I've done similar work on two boats (a Larson and a Marlin) and I got all of my materials from a local shop that manufacturers fiberglass products. In many cases--most notably, the biaxial woven roving, they let me dig through their scrap bin and take the material without charge. I had to take my own jugs for the resin, but the price was a fraction of what it would have been at Tap or West Marine. Way, way back, when I worked in fiberglass shops, people would often come in to buy small quantities of glass or resin, which the owners were happy to sell. It was easy money for them and good price for the user.

I used to get resin from a boat shop the same way years ago. But I wasn't able to find a shop in the area that used the ISO so I could get it cheaper. I even asked Taps yesterday, but of coarse they didn't know anyone either. Go figure.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 20:21 #313

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OK, what a difference a day makes. Last night I was pushing things a little to hard. I put the layer of biax on before the mat had cured in hopes that it would mold in easier that way. When I laid the biax on I did it from the top edge of one stringer and worked it down while I rolled on the resin. That turned out to be my downfall. This morning with all the resin cured I tried something different. With the cloth cut to size I laid it in and pressed it into place first, then brushed in the resin and bubble rolled it. That was so much easier than last night. So from now on I'm going to do one layer at a time after each step has cured at least a bit. Live and learn I guess. At least I didn't learn this at the end of the project! :cheer:

Pre shaped and ready.

I chased all the bubbles out last night with a brush. With the bubble roller this morning things went much faster. A much better finish this time too.

I'll be getting a few different sized rollers before I move ahead with the next layup. But for now I have a better outlook. I'll be back at it soon, but I have work to do for the next couple days.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 21:10 #314

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The way I do it is one layer at a time. That way if you have an issue you can fix it with out fighting it or running more material

The way I do it is I roll down a coat of resin to the area slightly smaller than the working area
With that I press the glass into it so it sticks pretty good then I brush resin into it and bubble roll.

Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 16 Jan 2014 23:44 #315

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Looks great Larry!
I look forward to seeing your progress, you will have one stout boat when your finished.
Now go drink a beer :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 17 Jan 2014 12:42 #316

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Mng along. Before you know it you will be installing the engine(s)

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 18 Jan 2014 23:39 #317

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi guys, a few more things have come up that need my attention. So it's going to be a few days before I can get back to work. I'll be back when I get a bunch of the glass work done. No need to repeat pictures of the same type of progress.
This break will be good though, taking the kids to see monster jam tonight. It gives my body time to recoup too. :P

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 20 Jan 2014 01:12 #318

• trophyone
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't know if your still looking for drives ive got 2 aq series that are not rotted out. there not new but have transom assemblies and bell housings if needed.

p.m. me if you need them and I can check all the details on the drives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 20 Jan 2014 01:33 #319

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
PM sent.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 20 Jan 2014 13:58 #320

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Larry, re; replacing transom shields....., note that the 4 cylinder engine requires a single exhaust relief shield.
The GM V-8 shields must be double relief!

Between the two engines ( 4's and GM V-8 ) , either can use the same transmissions and/or Intermediate housings.

Overall ratio change occurs within the lower drive unit.
OHC 4's = 2.15:1
GM V-8 = 1.61:1

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 20 Jan 2014 17:38 #321

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I PMed him and asked for more info as well as pictures, but haven't heard from him yet.
I'll let you know what he has when I get an email reply from him.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 03:13 #322

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I'll bet you guys thought I threw in the towel and gave up. Nope! I've just had a long fun weekend with my boys.
The break turned out to be a good thing. Yesterday I finished the last layer on the Strb. side so it's now finished.
Today I woke up with a goal in mind but got sidelined by internet issues for most of the morning. With that fixed I dove in on the port side of the cabin.
All 4 layers of the outer box are finished, and I did 2 layers of the section next to it. Lots of coffee and sodas to keep me going too. :P
Tomorrow I'll finish laying the last two layers and start finishing up a few details so I can move on.
David, the tip of rolling a coat of resin on first, then rolling the glass in worked very well. It helps me move the cloth/mat around a bit to position it properly. Thank You!

6 layers in one day.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 03:22 #323

• Nauti Mike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
Sometime you need to walk away from a project this size and have some fun. I have failth in you, plus it hurts you a lot me than it hurt me :woohoo:

Mike

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 05:04 #324

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Mike, but I didn't hurt as much today as I did the first couple days of glassing. I screwed the plywood down to the stringer so I could put all my weight on it while kneeling. That saved my back by not being so tense keeping it from tipping. I also put rubber floor pads on top of it to save my knees. By the time I'm done with this I'll be good at not hurting myself. But there will always be the odd position that will get to me. Like the second transom core layer! :dry:

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 22 Jan 2014 13:30 #325

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Larry, I don't recall where I found them, but I keep to old couch cushions (one large/one small) in my shop. I use them to neal on while working in tight areas like that.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds