Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 19:18 #151

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810

LRCX 2750 wrote: OK, so am I posting too much to this thread? I don't want to overload the server if it's going to be a problem.
I was hoping to take this thread all the way through to the end including the motors, wiring, upholstery etc. Should I end this and have it moved to the completed projects when the re structure is done?
I could do another thread for the other phases if I need to. But I do see other threads that are pretty big.

Im just a newbie here on BOC, but I hope Larry can continue with his thread. Like chief said move it to completed when finished. Or as Larry suggested, do it in phases if its using to much space. Is it using to much space?
Keep up the great documentation Larry B)
Sucks about the bolts :evil:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 19:20 #152

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Since I'm getting into the construction stage I need to make a decision concerning the fresh water tank that sits between the center stringers. I've done some searching and found a couple places I can get a plastic tank to replace the aluminum one. But none of them quit fit the dimensions I need. Not to mention that they fill from the top instead of the end for clearance under the floor. Does anyone have a link to a company that has tanks I can choose from, or have them make one? I think plastic would be much safer than the aluminum one I have even though I can cut it open and clean it up. Suggestions?
Here's my tank dimensions.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 21:25 #153

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
To keep it in the open forum:

I already have a plan worked out with the original poster.

Nothing has changed, this thread goes as long as it takes to completion.

Has anyone put a limit on time...or posts ?

When it becomes a " completed project " the original poster has options.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 21:31 #154

• Charlie Ward
  • Thank you received: 4
Larry, Dont you dare cut back on this thread.. I've been following your project from the start & look forward to the daily installments. You've got my full attention &I'm sure I'm not alone. You are doing a grand job. Keep it up.

Best
Charlie

'Callisto'
1978 Bayliner 2350 Nisqually Express
Isuzu C223 Diesel Engine
Volvo 275 Sterndrive

Loch Lomond
Scotland

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 22:18 #155

• Richard Tulip
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • enjoy boating, gadening, woodworking, model making
  • Thank you received: 62
Excellent thread. Anyone wanting to rebuild a boat can use it as a how to book. Keep it going, there will be many things that we can use on other models.

Richard

1988 3818 175 HinosNA

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 22:31 #156

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28

LRCX 2750 wrote: Since I'm getting into the construction stage I need to make a decision concerning the fresh water tank that sits between the center stringers. I've done some searching and found a couple places I can get a plastic tank to replace the aluminum one. But none of them quit fit the dimensions I need. Not to mention that they fill from the top instead of the end for clearance under the floor. Does anyone have a link to a company that has tanks I can choose from, or have them make one? I think plastic would be much safer than the aluminum one I have even though I can cut it open and clean it up. Suggestions?

Larry,

I honestly don't think you need a new water tank.

This is what I did with mine and it came out squeeky clean:

When you open it up, you will find it full of nasty looking calcium(?) deposits. But a little bit of scraping and rinsing gets rid of all that and you have an, essentially, new water tank. If you decide to leave access, you can clean it out periodically.

This message has an attachment image.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 22:37 #157

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28

Charlie Ward wrote: Larry, Dont you dare cut back on this thread.. I've been following your project from the start & look forward to the daily installments. You've got my full attention &I'm sure I'm not alone. You are doing a grand job. Keep it up.

Best
Charlie

+1

I knew I wasn't alone :)

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 22:51 #158

• Richard Tulip
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • enjoy boating, gadening, woodworking, model making
  • Thank you received: 62
Larry,

Malyphred wrote about installing clean out ports for internal access, great idea. I think your tank is out right? If so inspect the bottom real carefully. If you see pinholes and white material it is toast. My 3818 1988 MY had tank leaks and I replaced it, the inside had the deposits but the bottom was loaded with pin holes. Aluminum and water don't get along with electricity. My tank had a guage which was attatched into the tank. I think there was low voltage current to the tank by the ground wire that was fastened directly to the metal. Most of the 38 MYs are having this problem since they are 20+ years of age. To be sure cut a couple of port holes and scrape the tank and see how deep it goes.

Richard

1988 3818 175 HinosNA

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 00:58 #159

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you Alen for this and making me more comfortable doing this thread. And to those of you supporting my continuing the updates during this build. I'll try not to disappoint you.

And with that, shall we continue!

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 01:31 #160

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Contact a local RV part supply place. They usually have tanks in multiple sizes and shapes and can put the fill and vent where ever you please (they have serious plastic welders)

I had a local one here make me a custom fit 105 gallon water tank for my RV with a side fill and vent and also a screw out 4 inch plug on top so I can fill it with a bucket if need be (lots of camping places here in Alaska do not have running water but they do have old time hand pump water pumps

LRCX 2750 wrote: Since I'm getting into the construction stage I need to make a decision concerning the fresh water tank that sits between the center stringers. I've done some searching and found a couple places I can get a plastic tank to replace the aluminum one. But none of them quit fit the dimensions I need. Not to mention that they fill from the top instead of the end for clearance under the floor. Does anyone have a link to a company that has tanks I can choose from, or have them make one? I think plastic would be much safer than the aluminum one I have even though I can cut it open and clean it up. Suggestions?

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 01:51 #161

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Malayphred, thank for the suggestion. I'll look inside the tank as soon as I get a chance and see how it looks after I do a leak test by pressurizing it a bit. But the tank IS 34 years old. And considering the condition of the rest of the aluminum parts of the boat, I'm not going to hold my breath that it's going to be solid inside. I wonder if there's a coating I could line the tank with that would keep it sealed and still have drinkable water! Anyone have knowledge in that area?
The inspection holes in your tank are a really good idea. I guess I could add a hatch in the floor to gain access to the inspection cover. I plan on glassing the floor down to the stringers which would make the tank permanently sealed in. Ed says he made a removable floor in his Victoria. Some day I'd like to get time to go see it. Haven't forgotten Ed.

So here's the daily progress. Against my backs protest, (I'm sitting against the heating pad now) I jumped in today and started removing the remainder of the wood in the bilge. I first had to clean up the wiring harness mess that was laying in that corner. I was amazed at all the extra patched in wires that were hacked into the system during this boats past life. I found wires that ran down the full length of the boat just to go back to a few feet away from where it started. Needless to say it's a lot simpler and cleaner looking now, and it's all out of the way so I could cut out the rest of the bilge area.
The remainder of the starboard stringer was just as dry as the forward section of it. It took a bit more to get it out but not much. The plywood that sits under the gas tank came out pretty easy after I cut around the edge glass holding it in. And of coarse it was dripping wet under it with at least a 1/4" of water sitting in the keel. The reinforcement stringers under it pried up like all the rest of the interior stringers. No surprise there. But what was shocking is that I found a section of glass next to the outer stringer that didn't want to pry off. WOW! What happened there!
The remainder of the bulkhead came out today too. Before I cut it out I did make one of my adjustable supports to hold up the upper floor. After the section was removed I loosened up on the rod and was surprised to find that it only dropped about 1/8". Not too bad in my opinion. But I did put the support back in so the weight of it doesn't let it drop and sag until I get the new bulkhead back in. Oh, and the door still opened and closed just fine too.

Well, here it is. From the transom forward is now gutted for the most part. Still have the motor mount beam to remove but that's going to be after I get the stringers in place so I get the correct distance apart.

And here's that amazing little section of glass that wouldn't pry up easily.

And a quick shot of the support rod holding up the wall. I know that's not what I should call it! :unsure:

The heater is in there drying things out. But progress will be a little slow for the next couple days. I have a set of motorcycle carbs to rebuild. Besides, my back could use a break for a day or two.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 04:59 #162

• SKUA 28 Contessa
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • In over my head... for sure.
  • Thank you received: 74
Your progress is amazing! Do you have a job? LOL. I know how tough it is working down there. The hull slope is the worst, as you can never really get a good position to work from. You are always leaning one way or the other, or on the verge of falling on your face.

1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
On the hard undergoing, a full on refit and repower, with Chevrolet 454
Making real progress now
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/g...to-leak?limitstart=0
Last Edit: by SKUA 28 Contessa.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 10:02 #163

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
www.tank-depot.com/

www.plastic-mart.com/

coastline-tanks.com/

I bought a water tester and the water in the original aluminum tank (same age and type as yours) was perfect. That said I would have replaced mine if I was already there. The first 2 sites will make a custom tank for you out of plastic, and the third one is probably the company that made the original aluminum tank.

I agree that you should keep posting just as you have been. This has lots of information that will help others in the future. IMO the reason these threads usually get long and rambling are the people who believe they need to provide comic relief or continue to use any opportunity to continue old pissing matches. Bottom line; your doing a great job, and are providing a valuable service for people who want to do this type repair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LRCX 2750

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.
Last Edit: by Fish-a-Palooza.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 13 Dec 2013 16:51 #164

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
SKUA, I'm actually retired. At the moment this IS my job. :P I do restorations and build custom motorcycles as well as rebuild carbs for bikes. But this project has my main focus for the moment until I get all the wood back in and sealed. Hopefully before the rains come, IF they come. I bought this boat to get away from my cycle work once in a while. Little did I know it would just put me to work harder than any bike job could.

Fish, thank you for the links. I just got off the phone with Coastline. They don't know of anything to line a water tank with or cleaning it out. I really didn't expect them to since their in the building new business. I'll look into getting a plastic tank built after I get time to inspect the interior of mine. I have a scope camera I can look inside with before I cut it open. That should show me if I even need to. But now that I know there are options for me one way or the other, I'm going to continue on rebuilding the structure.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Dec 2013 04:20 #165

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OK, the inside of the hull is officially empty. It's been a log day of cutting and grinding, but all the wet and rotted wood and glass are gone. I finally removed the motor mount beam from the bilge too. After cutting the glass around the edges that held it to the hull, I literally picked it up with only minor resistance. As you can see there wasn't much holding it down. Not to mention none of the beam was sealed from the oils and water getting soaked into it. BUT, it wasn't rotted at all.

After all the normal cutting and prying it was time to grind the last section down. It took about 5 hours of grinding and two changes of cloths to get it to this point. With the outside temps up now during the day, I got soaked with sweat inside the tychem suit. But there was no way I wasn't going to get it done today. I am so tired of ripping and grinding that I needed to step into a clean hull tomorrow. I still have to vacuum everything up, but here it is. A clean working slate ready to start re structuring. If you look at the starboard side you'll notice that the hull is sagging due to not having any supports under it yet. The port side dose and is straight.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Dec 2013 11:25 #166

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Ya know, Larry... if you purchase new shoes with off-camber soles for everyone, there's really no need to replace the cabin floor. :silly:

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Dec 2013 15:39 #167

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

2850Bounty wrote: Ya know, Larry... if you purchase new shoes with off-camber soles for everyone, there's really no need to replace the cabin floor. :silly:

For me that's one of the worst things about doing that kind of job.

Working all day with your feet half bent over especially up in the bow it really sucks and the ankles get tired pretty fast.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Dec 2013 16:28 #168

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm still amazed how much dry fiberglass was in that boat. However I am equally amazed at your progress! You will have a boat to be proud of at the end of all this!

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 14 Dec 2013 16:29 #169

• check737
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39
I must say this is the best entertainment for a boater in the off season.
The research and workmanship is amazing.
I would suggest you consider publishing an online book when you are finished.
Two great pieces of information here.
1 How much work it is when you restore a boat.
2 How to do it the right way.

With all the pictures I would say we can almost be there watching the process.

Thanks.

My mistake, your fault
The only high maintenance accessory on a boat should come in a bikini

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 03:39 #170

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

2850Bounty wrote: Ya know, Larry... if you purchase new shoes with off-camber soles for everyone, there's really no need to replace the cabin floor. :silly:

Maybe I should have had some of those for my knees yesterday. :silly:

The uneven positions of all the grinding yesterday is why I pushed through it to get it done. I'm pretty sore after this week. The worst is my left knee. All swelled up and sore from being the one I knelt on most of the time. I'm just glad the majority of it is done.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 03:54 #171

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

check737 wrote: I must say this is the best entertainment for a boater in the off season.
The research and workmanship is amazing.
I would suggest you consider publishing an online book when you are finished.
Two great pieces of information here.
1 How much work it is when you restore a boat.
2 How to do it the right way.

With all the pictures I would say we can almost be there watching the process.

Thanks.

Thanks to you and Dewman for the complements. I do my best to do things as right as possible.
Doing a book is almost more work than doing the actual project. I know first hand because it was suggested, like you did, that I write a book on how to rebuild the Keihin CV motorcycle carbs. I figured why not give it a try. OMG was it a lot of work. It almost took me a year to finish it. But I hardly consider myself an expert in this to be writing a book. In case you haven't noticed, I ask a lot of questions just to be sure I'm not missing something new in the industry. Besides, all I've shown so far is how to demolish the interior of a boat. :P The critical stuff is just starting.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 04:13 #172

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Today consisted of a LOT of vacuuming and cleaning up the piles of rotten debris outside around the boat. What ever got ripped out went out the windows or over the stern.
If anyone's interested, I have a "Slightly Used" Boat interior I would gladly part with. :silly:
This is only a small part of what came out.

But all of it had to be cleaned up so I could start the supports under the hull. I have some of it done but it got to dark to continue or take a picture. I'm changing out the bottle jacks for the adjustable bars I make. Two of the jacks weren't holding. There's going to be a total of 24 bars supporting the 2x4s under the hull when I'm done. I'll update all that tomorrow.
When it's supported I have decided to cut out the second core layer and get it fitted before I lay in all the stringers. It'll be MUCH easier to do without the stringers in the way. Then all I'll have to do is cut out the slots to slide the core into place when it's time.

OK folks, back to the resting and the ice packs on the knee. See ya tomorrow.

Oh I almost forgot. I thought there couldn't be any more surprises that I could find with this boat. But I found one yesterday when I was pulling things out of the way to rip out the rest of the bilge.
Inside BOTH of the air vent hoses was full sized bird nests. I would say this shows just how long this boat sat IN the delta NOT being maintained or attended to.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 14:22 #173

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

LRCX 2750 wrote: This is only a small part of what came out.

Been there/done that.... and yes, it is amazing at the amount of debris removal involved.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 15:01 #174

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I hauled off two pickup truck loads of stuff I took out of the boat and probably have half a truck load yet from pieces I'm going to throw away that I'm keeping to use as patterens.

Now I would put your boat back to how it was constructed originally but I'll mention something I see with what you are doing.

I don't know how yours was but usually the transom is notched where the stringers go and the stringers integrate (fit inside the notch ) into the transom to lock the two together. Basically the transom sitting on top of the stringers. Otherwise when the boat pitches and yaws the force can separate the two parts as they have no structural integrity between the two parts only a fiberglass bond.

A thinking after thought it would have been easier to notch them before the lamination unless that is not how it was or you plan on doing.it..

If yours wasn't built that way then disregard my comment but all the boats I have looked at over the years were built that way.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 15 Dec 2013 15:47 #175

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I agree with Dave's point on this. Locking the stringers into the new transom core is not a bad idea.

However, and just to play the opposite take here.... at the apex where the hull bottom meets the structural transom area, this is a very heavy and stout area.
I doubt that we'd actually see any issues on this particular boat if the two were not "inter-locked" together, and were to rely on the fiberglass bonding alone.

Your call!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds