Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 09 Dec 2013 16:05 #126

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13

Timberwolf wrote: How thick will the transom be with the original glass and two sheets of plywood?
I ask because the transom shields for your drives need a minimum thickness.
I am not sure about Mercs. but Volvo need something like 2 1/8" min. I think?

There is not only a minimum, but a maximum as well. Dont want to go too thick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 09 Dec 2013 18:29 #127

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
My 5.7/B2 requires 2" min. to 2 1/4" max. on transom thickness and transom must be parallel within an 1/8"

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 09 Dec 2013 20:33 #128

• LRCX 2750
  • LRCX 2750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I'll have to wait till I can remove the clamping beams to get a measurement of where the thickness is with one layer on. The transom is 3/8", with two layers of glass and a 3/4" ply right now. I think when it's all done I'll be close to the 2 1/8" minimum.
My plans are to add a full second layer all the way across like the first layer. Is that ok? Or should I just make it the way BL did with the second sheet a bit wider than the two shields? It was only 4' wide.

Because it was so cold last night I set the alarm to get up every two hours to monitor the propane and the transom temps. It stayed between 68-74 degrees inside and out. That little heater and dog house combo worked really well considering is got down to 23 degrees last night. Everything is cured nice and solid. Set on high the 5 gallon bottle lasted 12 hours.
Now I can get back to work inside on the stringers. But I won't be able to glass anything in till the beams can be taken off. I figure a few days at least to be safe.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 01:56 #129

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
A little more progress finally inside the boat. I went in to log some more measurements and ended up cutting out the bulkhead that's under the front of the floor, removed the starboard side flooring and pried up the second half of the plywood that was glassed in under the fresh water tank. It really went a lot easier this time now that I know about prying up the edge of the dry fiberglass to get the bulk of things out.
This is the way it looked when I got in late this morning.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

After a couple hours I actually found some dry wood forward of the lower bulkhead. It's just to bad that I'll have to remove it all anyway so I can straighten out the bottom of the hull before I glass in the new stringers. Tonight the heaters are drying out the hull where I pulled up the tank plywood. It should be dry enough to start grinding tomorrow.

I had a thought today that may end up proving to be quit a struggle in the end. In my hast to get the transom in, I forgot to add a layer of plastic under the 4x4 beams. I think that's going to be very interesting when it's time to pull them off. I MAY try to remove them tomorrow, but I'm in no hurry at this point.

Sacramento, CA.
1979 27' Bayliner Victoria W/fly bridge. 2X/Volvo AQ140A, with 2X/44 PHN3 solex side draft carbs. 280 outdrives.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 02:39 #130

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46

LRCX 2750 wrote: THE TRANSOM IS FINALLY IN! WoooHooo!!

From the looks of it, yes the 4X4 are glued in place. When I first started researching West System expoy, I was told the wood will break before the bond lets go. Through experience, I found you can chisel the exposed resin in such a way as to force a crack and break the bond easier.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link
Last Edit: by Timberwolf.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 02:46 #131

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
After the fact. I do a double wrap with saran wrap to separate two pieces. Its thin and peels right off.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 03:20 #132

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I'm hoping that the resin the seeped out of the air holes I drilled, is just sitting on top of the 4x4 edges and didn't get much down behind them. The beams were already tightening up against the plywood by the time the resin got on them. I'm sure I'll have a little resin where each of the bolts went into the wood. When I do try to remove them I'll do it early in the morning when everything is still cold. It should be UP to 31 tomorrow morning. But I'm not sure if I should leave it clamped in for another day or more. It's not keeping me from working inside, so I might wait.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or another with making the second transom layer a full across piece like the first one? Didn't get any replies to that question yet.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 03:55 #133

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Thank you received: 28

LRCX 2750 wrote: I'm hoping that the resin the seeped out of the air holes I drilled, is just sitting on top of the 4x4 edges and didn't get much down behind them. The beams were already tightening up against the plywood by the time the resin got on them. I'm sure I'll have a little resin where each of the bolts went into the wood. When I do try to remove them I'll do it early in the morning when everything is still cold. It should be UP to 31 tomorrow morning. But I'm not sure if I should leave it clamped in for another day or more. It's not keeping me from working inside, so I might wait.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or another with making the second transom layer a full across piece like the first one? Didn't get any replies to that question yet.

I would go with 'full across'.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Las Vegas in the winter, BC coast in the summer

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 11:58 #134

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

LRCX 2750 wrote: THE TRANSOM IS FINALLY IN! WoooHooo!!

Larry....... transom "core" layer.................... transom "core" layer! :silly:

LRCX 2750 wrote:

1. I'm hoping that the resin the seeped out of the air holes I drilled, is just sitting on top of the 4x4 edges and didn't get much down behind them. The beams were already tightening up against the plywood by the time the resin got on them. I'm sure I'll have a little resin where each of the bolts went into the wood. When I do try to remove them I'll do it early in the morning when everything is still cold. It should be UP to 31 tomorrow morning. But I'm not sure if I should leave it clamped in for another day or more. It's not keeping me from working inside, so I might wait.

2. Does anyone have an opinion one way or another with making the second transom layer a full across piece like the first one? Didn't get any replies to that question yet.

1. Larry, if your heating attempts have not caused the resin to go off by now (as in NOT cured).... I'd say back to the drawing board!

2. Larry, if you are comfortable laying up the second layer in one section,... why not ??????
    But as said per our emails..... if you were to section it... it's not a deal breaker!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 17:29 #135

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ok, I'll try to use the proper terms. I don't mean to confuse anyone. I'll do the best I can. :blush:

The resin kicked off fine the day I laid it up and it's all hardened and cured. I'm just being cautious by leaving it all clamped it because we've been below freezing at night until last night. No need to go back to the drawing board.

The full piece installation went pretty easy after I got my son to help me. So another full "CORE" layer, :silly: will be added when it's time comes.
Thanks to both of you for confirming a full layer is ok.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 18:05 #136

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Will you glass over the first core layer and then add the second core layer or just stick them together with resin?
Just Curious as to the best way :huh:
Keep up the good work.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 18:26 #137

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
There will be at least 1 layer of cloth between the 2 cores. According to everything I've been told it's stronger that way.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 19:04 #138

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

LRCX 2750 wrote: There will be at least 1 layer of cloth between the 2 cores. According to everything I've been told it's stronger that way.

I think you mean heavy matting!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 11 Dec 2013 19:54 #139

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes sir that's what I meant. Sorry I got lazy there. I forget this thread may be looked at in the future and needs to be correct so folks aren't left with questions.

OK, I know I said I wasn't going to show more pics of the tear out, but I just had to share this one. With what I've learned about BLs practices years ago, I decided to try something. I tapped one of my pry bars under the glass and 2x2 support stringer between the two main stringers and started inching my way back prying lightly as I went. With two pry bars, all the glass and wood popped off in about 5 minutes leaving the inner main stringer to just fall out since it was never bonded to the hull. This saved me several hours of cutting things out one section at a time.

As you can see it came out in one full section from the bilge bulkhead to the forward floor bulkhead with the 2x2 still in it. (what's that called Rick) It sits in the chine of the hull.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 01:34 #140

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Wow! I guess there was a shortage of resin when they put that boat together. At least it saved a little grinding/cutting glass. :huh:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 02:29 #141

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
Wow is right!!

It's almost like there was no quality control in place at all.

I'm finding this project riveting and can't wait for the next installment.

Keep the posts coming Larry, this is better than prime time TV. :cheer:

1988 Bayliner 3288

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 05:07 #142

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes it did make the grinding go a lot faster this time. I guess I should thank BL for that, but I may not have had to do this much if they had done a better job with the resin/chop.

The outer most stringer was a bit tougher to get out because it hadn't gotten wet and rotted. But with a little prying a a couple hits with the sledge hammer the wood stringer popped off the glass. Then it was just a matter of prying up the glass from the hull like the first one. It still amazes me that they never bonded the stringers down to the hull with anything before they sprayed the chop and resin on the sides of them. But again, it made it easier for me.
With all of it out of the way I put on my Tychem suit and gas mask and started grinding. A couple hours later I had most of it down to the hull. All except the very center the length of the keel. It was getting cold in there so I called it a night. Now doesn't that look better without all that black rotted wood!

Obviously I've changed my plans of installing the port side stringers first. Since the forward floor bulkhead was rotted out too and needed replacing, I would need to remove both sets of stringers so I could straighten out and support the bottom of the hull before I could even make the bulkhead replacement. I still have the starboard side of the bilge to strip out as well as the bilge/cabin bulkhead. Then I'll make the supports for under the hull as well as some way to temporarily support the entry wall/door into the cabin. I have a feeling that when I pull the remainder of the bulkhead that it's going to want to drop down a bit and possibly spread the hull just a bit. So there will be a support under the keel as well before I cut it out. Any experience or suggestions there would be appreciated.

As for the prime time posts comparison, wait till you see what I have to go through to get the clamping beams out. A hint... half of the lag bolts twisted off when I backed them out. Update on that tomorrow. Stay tuned..... ;)

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 05:36 #143

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Were the lag bolts a galvanized finish?
That would give them a rough enough surface for the resin to bite into,
bonding them just like the porous nature of the wood.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 05:48 #144

• malayphred
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Las Vegas, NV
This is just a wild idea, but what if you put the hull right on the floor? EDIT: Never mind - bad idea.

It would make it easy to get everything straight.

Or not :dry:

I'll see if I can get your latest Nielson numbers :silly:

1988 Bayliner 3288
Last Edit: by malayphred. Reason: Dumb idea

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 10:51 #145

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

malayphred wrote: I'll see if I can get your latest Nielson numbers :silly:

If this thread goes on any longer..... people will want to know the ratings. :silly:

Just kidding.
Larry, keep your thread going for as long as need be. Good stuff for others to see.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 11:03 #146

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
This thread will stay up till completion. Then moved in it's entirety to the completed projects forum.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 13:45 #147

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Chief Alen wrote: This thread will stay up till completion. Then moved in it's entirety to the completed projects forum.

Don't get me wrong... this would be a great "Completed Projects" thread... but isn't this a voluntary action of the OP?

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 14:41 #148

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Yes.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 18:44 #149

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes the bolts were galvanized. And what happened is the rough edge grabbed hold of some of the matting and wrapped around the bolt as I was running it in. That super tightened the bolt into the hole so that when I backed them out the bolt snapped off right where the threads started. In order to get the bolts out I have to cut the 4x4 so the inside of the bolts are exposed and turn them out with a pair of vice grips. Turning the bolt in each direction a couple turns each way allows the tight matting to work out from around the threads so it loosens the grip. When I get them all out I'm going to have to force some resin in between the hull and the core so there's no void between it just in case.

I was actually hoping to use these 4x4s again. That's not happening now. :oops: By the way, the beams came off easily. There wasn't enough resin behind them to bond them to the core.

Sacramento, CA.

My 27' Victoria UNPLANNED project. 12 Dec 2013 18:50 #150

• LRCX 2750
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OK, so am I posting too much to this thread? I don't want to overload the server if it's going to be a problem.
I was hoping to take this thread all the way through to the end including the motors, wiring, upholstery etc. Should I end this and have it moved to the completed projects when the re structure is done?
I could do another thread for the other phases if I need to. But I do see other threads that are pretty big.

Sacramento, CA.
Last Edit: by LRCX 2750.
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds