• Page:

TOPIC: OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:20 #1

• rkcarguy
  • rkcarguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 66
The prototype cooling system I helped develop is finally complete. For those not up to speed with this project, it's the first aftermarket replacement freshwater cooling system for the overhead cam volvo 4-cylinder engines. It's a direct install onto the AQ131-AQ151, the AQ120-AQ140 require to be upgraded to the newer style water pump with the hose fitting on the suction side. I am working on a part that may allow the automotive water pump to be used(~$55).
The stock cooling system had to be removed to access the timing belt, tensioner, or water pump....and often the rubber slip fitting seals were leakers. All these parts now can be accessed with the new exchanger in place. The end caps can be removed to inspect the unit, and there is also a sacrificial zinc anode on the end of the unit. My engine shows the saltwater crust left from my issues last year before I kicked the stock system into the scrap box. This engine had been cleaned up and painted earlier in the year:mad:
Here is a pic by pic install. Once you have the beaded sleeves soldered/brazed to the raw water pipes, the rest of the install takes less than an hour.
For the first trial run, we merely double hose clamped the hoses to the existing raw water pipes. It works fine, but this is the seawater circuit! An unnoticed leak here can sink your boat...so the soldering/brazing of the beaded sleeves to the oem copper pipes was seen as MANDATORY! (see 2nd pic here).
These are great little engines and I was happy to assist Seakamp with a little R&D to come up with the kit, no affiliation other than I got my kit at reduced cost for the effort. I'm hoping to see more of these volvo's revived as gas prices rise and people look for an economical and affordable way to get out on the water.
A couple notes: I opted for the optional powdercoat, the units are usully shipped bare copper and brass. The bracket provided with the production kits will be one formed piece and more professional looking, the one shown is the welded prototype. I opted for a 3/4" NPT threaded fitting on the lower hose for the future installation of a block heater. This will be another option.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by rkcarguy.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:22 #2

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:25 #3

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:27 #4

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:30 #5

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More pics 4
Antifreeze/Water mix has a ~6% expansion rate from cold to operating temp. It was stupid for the oem system not to have an expansion tank. This system does. Try to mount it such that the elevation of the "Cold" line on the tank matches that of the filler neck.

Attached files

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 06:32 #6

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 09:03 #7

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Very nice!:cool

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 Apr 2011 13:36 #8

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Ryan, yes.... very nice indeed.

Question: do you see any issues with the recovery tank elevation relative to the H/E?
IOW, if/when you were to open the pressure cap, do you see a potential for unwanted coolant flow back towards the H/E?

Have you determined a MSRP yet?

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Ryan Price!
Or.... MSBOCP!
:D

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 24 Apr 2011 02:57 #9

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes my overflow is mounted too high, I need to make an extension piece that drops the bracket lower as there was no other good place in my boat. On the trailer with the tongue jacked up is the correct level, in the water I get backflow....but being I can see the coolant level in the tank I really don't need to pull the cap. If I was to be loosing coolant for some reason It can be added thru the cap in the tank, the system pulls coolant in as it burps air out.

Copper and brass pricing is all over the place(thanks again Wall St.) which hasn't helped pin down the kit price. We were looking at ~$400 before but I suspect it will be around $500 now. Is still a good deal when you figure the VP exchanger cartridge that goes inside the stock unit is almost $300 alone.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 28 Apr 2011 21:58 #10

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Per another OHC Volvo authority, the automotive water pump(not sea-water pump obviously) can be used to fit this system onto the older motors with the separated tank/exchanger cooling system like the one shown in the picture below.
The auto pump has a port in it for the heater hose that must be plugged, or if you want cabin heat the automotive hose fitting can be obtained and hose ran from this point to the heater.
The automotive pump will set you back $26-$63 depending on where you get it.

Attached files

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 29 Apr 2011 03:22 #11

• Wingman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I would have to say that this would be #2 on my upgrade list for a OHC volvo.

Super clean and you run an auto pump. Almost pays for itself with the auto pump. Not to mention no R&R heat exchanger for timing belt replacement

Great job Ryan!!!!!!!

Wayne
'76, T1750 "Yellow Submarine"
AQ130D, 280
MMSI# 338091747
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/wingmanx1/bayliner/
My flybridge restore
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456072

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 17 May 2011 22:23 #12

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The pump on the AQ131-AQ151 is the same as an automotive pump with a cover plate over the heater hose port. This cover plate will need to be sourced or that hole can be threaded and a plug inserted.
I just picked up a 2270 Explorer AQ120B with the older style cooling system so I will be doing the install on it sooner or later and post up the process.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 May 2011 22:23 #13

• 80Mutiny
So I've looked online every where and don't see this kit offered. Would I need to call Seakamp to get a price on this kit.....or is it even offered to the public yet?

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 23 May 2011 22:37 #14

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

80Mutiny;575297 wrote: So I've looked online every where and don't see this kit offered. Would I need to call Seakamp to get a price on this kit.....or is it even offered to the public yet?

They are only offering the kit built to order, as the demand is too small to stock any.
I'm going to be getting a kit for my 2270 in the near future as well.

Last Edit: by rkcarguy.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 13 Sep 2011 14:01 #15

• paperklip
Ryan, Great pics in this thread! I'm currently working with Dan (at seakamp) on one for my AQ125B. I have an auto pump on it (heater port is plugged and capped) so it's basically the same setup as yours (AQ131A) except the thermostat housing. The AQ125B is a host fitting there, not a flush-mount, so Dan is going to incorporate that on mine. The raw copper tubes below are for mockup and haven't been refurbed (or evaluated for replacement) yet:

'83 2030 Explorer (AQ125B/VP270)

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 13 Sep 2011 14:51 #16

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I'll say it again, this is an excellent modification or replacement... which is it?
Oh well, what ever it is, it's :cool

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 13 Sep 2011 17:25 #17

• Wingman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Paperklip wound up with a raw water cooled auto replant in his ride and it pretty much self destructed. I remembered this thread and how you could run an auto pump with it and pointed him here. He is marinizing a 230b block so I believe he is really working on a 131.

I agree this is an excellent upgrade!!!!!!!

Wayne
'76, T1750 "Yellow Submarine"
AQ130D, 280
MMSI# 338091747
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/wingmanx1/bayliner/
My flybridge restore
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456072

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 13 Sep 2011 17:49 #18

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

paperklip;611604 wrote: Ryan, Great pics in this thread! I'm currently working with Dan (at seakamp) on one for my AQ125B. I have an auto pump on it (heater port is plugged and capped) so it's basically the same setup as yours (AQ131A) except the thermostat housing. The AQ125B is a host fitting there, not a flush-mount, so Dan is going to incorporate that on mine. The raw copper tubes below are for mockup and haven't been refurbed (or evaluated for replacement) yet:

Are you going to swap out that t-stat housing for the marine block?
The reason being, the marine T-stat block doubles as the mounting point for the left side of the unit just like the stock one.
Looks like you have the copper pipes from the newer style unit, so your all set there just need to have them cleaned up and the sleeves brazed on.
Mine didn't look any better than yours, cleaned up the ends, got the sleeves brazed on, and then I took all the parts I could gather up to the powdercoater and had them all done gloss black.
Btw, you can loosen the bolts on the manifold and pump and move those pipes around a little. Mount your alternator, the upper seawater pump pipe will snake thru the belt and needs to be positioned just right.

IMO, please get that Fram filter off of there! These engines run 50-60psi oil pressure and can see 75 psi cold. I run the Mobil 1 or Wix filter which has a nice heavy casing on it. I can dent the case of the Fram filter by hand, which tells me I don't want it on my motor.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 14 Sep 2011 16:59 #19

• paperklip
@Wingman - Thanks for pointing me here! This exchanger was just what I needed.

Yes, this engine was originally in a 1992 Volvo 240. I guess since I was directed to this forum from the other one, it's probably ok to post a link to my project thread over there .

I'm not planning to change out the thermostat housing. The coolant-out on my exchanger will be a 1-3/8" hose fitting. I'll be fabricating a bracket that the seakamp mounts (the stainless omega straps) will bolt to on both ends.

I started cleaning up the copper tubes, and boy, they do come out nice! I hope the S-bracket on the raw pump comes out as nice. Volvo is very proud $$$$ of that part!!

I'll take your advice on the oil filter. ;) Thanks!

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 14 Sep 2011 17:27 #20

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

paperklip;612035 wrote: @Wingman - Thanks for pointing me here! This exchanger was just what I needed.

Yes, this engine was originally in a 1992 Volvo 240. I guess since I was directed to this forum from the other one, it's probably ok to post a link to my project thread over there .

I'm not planning to change out the thermostat housing. The coolant-out on my exchanger will be a 1-3/8" hose fitting. I'll be fabricating a bracket that the seakamp mounts (the stainless omega straps) will bolt to on both ends.

I started cleaning up the copper tubes, and boy, they do come out nice! I hope the S-bracket on the raw pump comes out as nice. Volvo is very proud $$$$ of that part!!

I'll take your advice on the oil filter. ;) Thanks!

Hoping you ended up using the A-cam, it's the correct one for single carb applications according to my research. Car cams are no good in boats.
Do you know if you got the large crank version? 1992 should be the first year volvo went back to the larger crank and rods in the B230.
When we were fitting the exchanger kit, we thought about doing it the way you were, but didn't want everyone to have to change out the t-stat housing to the car version.
My S-bracket looks like new after a blast and powdercoat:)
FYI when you powdercoat, they fill up a rack with your parts and shoot. So aside from masking or blasting, it doesn't cost much more to do more parts.
I did 2 valve covers, both my t-stat blocks, raw water hoses, exchanger, and all the brackets I could unbolt. Cost me $125 iirc.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 14 Sep 2011 17:39 #21

• paperklip

rkcarguy;612042 wrote: Hoping you ended up using the A-cam, it's the correct one for single carb applications according to my research.

I used the A-cam. My understanding was that a K grind (more of a tractor grind) would be better, but for now.. it's the A.

rkcarguy;612042 wrote: Do you know if you got the large crank version? 1992 should be the first year volvo went back to the larger crank and rods in the B230.

I don't know. I have some pics from when I first popped the pan here , here , and here .

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 14 Sep 2011 18:14 #22

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

paperklip;612050 wrote: I used the A-cam. My understanding was that a K grind (more of a tractor grind) would be better, but for now.. it's the A.

I don't know. I have some pics from when I first popped the pan here , here , and here .

Looks like the cast crank and skinny rods. The K is actually the hottest production grind available, 7 ft/lbs of torque and +22HP vs A cam according to a guy that dynoed the pair in a car.
But, the K also makes most engines become interference engines, so if you switch you have to take very good care of the timing belt. I'd hunt down a V-cam if you want more go with the safety of valve clearance, but it should be swapped in with twin carbs as well.

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 24 Oct 2011 15:44 #23

• paperklip
If yours was a prototype, I guess that makes me customer #1... Dan was a pleasure to deal with, and the product was spot on.

Fully rebuilt and marinized auto engine (from a 92 Volvo 240). Planning to drop her into the boat in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKVEfetrUZE

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 24 Oct 2011 20:23 #24

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Very nice!
AFAIK, yes you are customer #1.
I'll have to bug Dan for the production version of the bracket, looks like they got them done.
Still see that stupid orange oil filter on there:hammer

OHC Volvo Prototype Cooling System Install 24 Oct 2011 20:49 #25

• paperklip

rkcarguy;624243 wrote: Very nice!
AFAIK, yes you are customer #1.
I'll have to bug Dan for the production version of the bracket, looks like they got them done.
Still see that stupid orange oil filter on there:hammer

I actually welded up the bracket myself. It sounded like having them do it would delay things quite a bit.

Yeh yeh, the filter... I already had it filled with oil and wanted to test run it. ;) I'll swap it out before she goes into the boat.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds