Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 22 Jun 2007 23:36 #1

• urquhart
  • urquhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks.

I have a 1986 Cierra Sunbridge Designer's Edition. As you can imagine, It isn't easy to find deck fittings and the like, but up to now I've been able to cope.

Trouble is, one or two parts have limited lifetimes, and the spares are no longer available.

I'm looking for the extruded plastic hinge which joins the two pieces of plexiglass forming the flap over the entrance to the cabin (Bayliner part # 10733). I was able to buy 3.5 feet of the stuff from the junk bin of a Bayliner dealer, a few years ago, but the hinge has failed again, and the remaining bit isn't long enough.

I understand that Bayliner have sold all their stocks to 'Great Lakes Skipper' who don't have any left.

The entrance is two feet wide, and I've bodged my remaining 1.5 foot hinge into place (which will keep me going for a while, but looks horrible).

Any idea where I could find a replacement?

Also, any recommendations for replacing the bedding strip for the two fore windows (not the hatch itself)?

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 23 Jun 2007 02:44 #2

• maa melee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you have trouble finding the OEM hinge, you can check McMaster-Carr.com and search for 'Plastic Hinge'.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 23 Jun 2007 10:56 #3

• preacher
I have the exact same year and boat and I always am looking for a source for parts.My hinge is gone as well.Let me know if you find good places for replacement parts....Preacher :confused:

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 25 Jun 2007 11:56 #4

• urquhart
  • urquhart's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for the link. They have the right type of hinge, but unfortunately not the right size. The plexiglass panel is 3/8" thick.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 25 Jun 2007 14:29 #5

• jthorn
I had the same problem...I found a long thin brass hinge and cut to fit accross and drilled on ..I discarded the rubber/plastic oem. works fine and more secure than the old one.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 24 Jun 2009 21:18 #6

• reinahd
Actually I need to repair / replace the cabin door and the top folding hatch on my 85' 2550.

Any help on parts and / or specs would make my summer...

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 24 Jun 2009 21:24 #7

• Optimus
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Interesting, my '85 2450 has a wood frame bi-fold door with a glass window in each half. The two halves are joined by regular metal hinges.

to ERR is human.
to ARR is pirate.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 25 Jun 2009 06:06 #8

• offshoreA3
  • Thank you received: 1
A previous post mentioned www.outwater.com carries plastic Panel Hinges here Plastic Panel Hinge , but I too am getting tired of replacing the plastic ones on the top hatch after a season or two in the sun.

We had to custom fit replacement cabin door panels when a vagrant shattered the OEM bronze plexiglass panels (and the three small plastic hinges holding them together) bulling their way in to find a place to sleep. Ended up using one long stainless steel piano hinge as hinge replacement, which still resulted in a clean looking door panel as the hinge is on the inside of the bi-fold door.

Would like to do the same to the top hatch but haven't because installing the hinge on the top leaves the screws exposed (and also doesn't look as clean), and the widest piano hinge to be found is 2" which is not enough after bending to allow proper installation from underneath....

Alan
1987 Ciera Sunbridge 2550 "Hiatus"
5.7L w/San Juan Engineering Full-Closed Cooling / OMC Cobra
Galvanized Calkins tandem trailer w/rollers.

Extruded plastic hinge: Ciera Sunbridge 2550 25 Jun 2009 07:46 #9

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

offshoreA3;314484 wrote: A previous post mentioned www.outwater.com carries plastic Panel Hinges here Plastic Panel Hinge , but I too am getting tired of replacing the plastic ones on the top hatch after a season or two in the sun.

We had to custom fit replacement cabin door panels when a vagrant shattered the OEM bronze plexiglass panels (and the three small plastic hinges holding them together) bulling their way in to find a place to sleep. Ended up using one long stainless steel piano hinge as hinge replacement, which still resulted in a clean looking door panel as the hinge is on the inside of the bi-fold door.

Would like to do the same to the top hatch but haven't because installing the hinge on the top leaves the screws exposed (and also doesn't look as clean), and the widest piano hinge to be found is 2" which is not enough after bending to allow proper installation from underneath....

I got 3" for my head door, you can get up to 4-1/2" wide in stainless if that's any help:
http://www.stainless-hinges.com/stainless_continuous_hinges.html

-Will

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds