Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for complete windshield for capri 1950 -89

Looking for complete windshield for capri 1950 -89 16 Jul 2014 20:07 #1

• enjtoni
  • enjtoni's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Project capri on hold until I find windscreen :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for complete windshield for capri 1950 -89 17 Jul 2014 14:21 #2

• NickDe
  • Thank you received: 1
Problems, problems, problems, would think at 75 years old would give up on boats. Same with my Capri, with three wood boats in the past, would make frames out of oak., could be a possibility for a fiberglass boat. Could be filled and painted as an option.

My Baliner 1950 uses tinted curve glass for the four side panels, are predrilled, and tinted a very light blue. Found some used upped ones, as high as 500 bucks for a single panel, cost twice as much as buying a used boat that is yet another option. Since my frames are still good, going with plexiglass. For tempered, no shop around here can curve or even drill holes in these things.

Replacement glass is history with Bayliner, but was still able to buy a huge windshield from Pace Arrow for a couple of hundred bucks. Another custom made item. With over six years of ownership, I nor anyone of a huge family knew one of the panels was previously replaced with plexiglass. Not only is it plexiglass, but has a light green rather than a light blue tint, that nobody before even noticed. Another thing in its favor, it did not break into thousands of pieces like that tempered glass did in all the other windows. It just bounced back.

Oldcastle and Central are the names on this tempered glass, not even a part number on them, and no longer interested in supplying. But do call it safety glass, ha, got a lot of cuts cleaning this mess up. Was even hit in a car by an idiot running a stop sign that left cuts all over my face, but did heal without scars. But yet they call it safety glass.

Motorcycles and aircraft strictly use plexiglass for this reason, much stronger, about ten times, and does not shatter into a million pieces. And can bend and snap back without breakage.

And it can be cut, drilled, and even bent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: enjtoni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: Jeffw
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds