Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bayliner 642 Owners

Bayliner 642 Owners 14 Jul 2017 10:19 #51

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Rick! Yes, there was a thread about a slight glow in the engine light on the dash. It's not on, just a glow. It happenened to others, too, with similar instruments and engines. Probably a voltage leak to the LED, they suspect. Yep, I had about 5 gallons in the bilge on my first outing. Glad I knew it wasn't normal immediately, so the dealer dunk tested, and there were a couple leaks, with most water coming through on the transom lifting eyes (tie down eyes). It was pretty much resolved by dealer with 5200.

Indeed, with water, four people, not much weight up front, I can barely plane! But it sure does have top end, could easily speed to 45 with four onboard. Strong engine, needs low end!!

I also will post my latest mods soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

Bayliner 642 Owners 07 Aug 2017 15:54 #52

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
How's the boating going this season Euro-cuddy owners? Any great mods or additions to your 642s?

So, far we've had our 642 out only 2.5 times. First there was the crab trap fiasco in April and then my mother-in-law became ill in May and my wife has been dealing with that all summer. We're hoping to get out a couple of times this week since it's my wife's vacation period and I have to go back to work in 3 weeks. Of course, as I sit here and watch a torrent of rain fall outside, I'm looking for a break in the weather (which is expected tonight).

And no new mods for me. I did add a couple low-cost items to organize the helm area a little better. First was a suction cup radio/mobile phone holder under the dash. My mobile phone and/or hand-held VHF was monopolizing the cup holder at the helm and my wife was getting "annoyed" at always having to hand me my water bottle from the port side cup holders. My wallet has always been in a backpack in the cabin; so, it was a pain to get when getting fuel or stopping by a dockside restaurant. I added a waterproof box on the ledge (which always seemed like wasted space to me); it attaches with velcro tape. Neither are sexy additions, but always evolving. Oh, and I added a 12V car vac as suggested by Jon. A great addition since the last time out, my wife spilled ground coffee on the carpet!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner 642 Owners 08 Aug 2017 06:20 #53

• rhythmpoetdonut
Hi Rick! I haven't check the site in a while -- but just now I needed a break from working late, so I popped in and there you are! Great to see your mods! Very sorry about your 2.5 days and my regards to your family -- those are hard times and recreation takes a major back seat. I hope you and the Admiral can get out there soon to fill your souls!

Well, we have been boating an unbelievable amount of time this summer, totally making up for the really bad weather suffered by Pacific Northwesterners all last year, including last summer. We're still on a torrent, too -- 90s+ expected at least through Saturday, August 12. Hoping for more after that!!! We're inhaling Canadian forest fire smoke, but I'll take that with the super warm weather and warm 78F area lakes!

That's awesome about your 12v power - so glad that worked out! Our issue isn't grounds (ugh! I hear you!) but dog hair from my loving chocolate lab is still pretty bad. HOWEVER, I have yet to find a decent small portable 12v power vac. I purchased one and it doesn't suck, which sucks. That's what 12 bucks gets me. Any recommendations? I like your radio holder mod, too. I placed my extinguisher in that location so that's not an option for me. The Velcro tray on the ledge idea is great -- I think I'll make that happen for me, too! I had some stretch netting set aside for that ledge so I could pack ropes or whatever behind it on the ledge, but then it makes removal of the recessed panel there that much more difficult.

We had our dealer change the oil on the Eagle Runner a few weeks back. It might not have been necessary but I treat this boat like an old VW. It seems to run well. It didn't start once and then I noticed I left it in gear, lol. Back into neutral and she starts right up. Love safety stuff like that! The 19p 3 blade prop issue is still bugging me as it takes forever to plane, but I think an 18p four blade will help. I'll do that soon before trim tabs (which may be necessary). I will also be installing an extra set of speakers, maybe four new ones all around, because my buddy's boat has stereo one can hear underway -- a nice feature! Not sure where to put the back ones (suggestions?) I can't speak enough for the 8-foot KeelGuard. I feel confident about nosing in anywhere (even ramps!) but not on larger riprap. I will be removing the anchor roller in favor of a ladder or just a smooth surface (no roller) at the end of the year, as I tend to want to hop off the bow when beaching. I might have to change the location of the rode cleat I installed there. I am thinking of reinforcing the bow rails for hopping off purposes, although they're fine right now. I am liking the idea of a large three-bolt flange on each side reinforced from below.

So I'm super safety conscious, but the other day when boating on my buddy's boat, apparently (I think?) I removed his stern line and set that on the top of the transom, which is something I complain about when other people do that. Well, I did it. I must have kicked it into the water, too. I honestly don't know -- but I know I was in charge of that part of the operation. We were both in his boat and he went to motor to a slip when the engine died. I was immediately thinking his boat sucks. He knew I was thinking that, too, lol. Then after we floated 20 feet back to the dock, he noted the stern rope is stressed and it seemed to head into the water toward his outdrive. That's when the thoughts came together for me. Another friend quickly jumped in (which in hindsight is dangerous next to a dock) but he untangled the rope. My buddy then started his boat, everything worked fine, but I wore a sheepish grin for the rest of my shameful night. I still can't believe I did that!!! And, I still feel bad, but no harm, no foul, except to my ego. I'm thankful the lesson didn't come with a larger price tag.

Happy Boating!!!
Post some pics!!!
Jon

The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Bayliner 642 Owners 08 Aug 2017 13:41 #54

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Jon, I can't give you any recommendations on the speaker selection. I've only tried listening to the stereo once underway and found that moving slow on a river it was fine, but really underway in open water it was too much of a distraction (and thinking of that safety thing I like to keep a watchful eye out for other boats on the Bay).

Good story about the line in the prop. I'm paranoid about doing something like that some time because I tend to forget stuff on the back deck - like towels.

Here's the 12V vac I purchased from Amazon: www.amazon.com/Cleaner-iTavah-Suction-Po...ndheld/dp/B01MAUPEYW

I've only used it a couple times - to clean up already reported coffee incident, grass and sand from the cockpit. Has worked well so far. But I do not expect it to last forever like most of these type products in this price range. I bought this one because it advertised "wet" application.

PS: I spent 30 years in the Army and my wife always said she was one rank higher than me...so, I see no reason to demote her to "Admiral" :whistle: :P ;) B)

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner 642 Owners 15 Aug 2017 05:46 #55

• rhythmpoetdonut
Great recommendation Rick -- thanks! I think I'll order.

Also -- I (*think*) that I discovered that my 642's stock Jensen MS2013BT stereo has a USB interface cable that's hopelessly dangling behind the bulkhead -- accessible via the panel from within the cabin. The Jensen manual seems to imply that. My 642 did not come with the dash mounted USB interface, just the aux plug. So, once I verify that's the case, this is what I will be installing in place of the current aux jack: www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-usb-interf...iary-input-jack.html

Pretty cool -- I believe the USB isn't just an interface, it'll charge your phone, too!
Hoping it'd be an easy install. I figure I better get one before they stop making them!
This will be great to charge the phone for the Secretary of Defense :)

Jon

Bayliner 642 Owners 15 Aug 2017 14:52 #56

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

rhythmpoetdonut wrote: This will be great to charge the phone for the Secretary of Defense

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 15 Aug 2017 15:05 #57

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
That USB socket is indeed very cool! Did you verify that the stereo has the connection in the back behind the cabin panel?

We had a leak from the windscreen in that area; so, as part of the fix, the dealer put a fine bead of caulk around the panel. But if this mod is doable, it would be worth it to remove the panel and re-seal. Last time out, both of our phones needed charging and we the only USB port on the boat is inside the cabin. We had our dealer add this as a mod prior to delivery inside the cabin near the panel:

This message has an attachment image.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 18 Aug 2017 05:16 #58

• rhythmpoetdonut
I like that plug! That's another addition I want -- in the cabin, too!!! Probably over winter. I purchased one of those two -input USB connectors for "my side" and the Admiral (I was in the Navy after all - but I suppose Chief would also do, lol) -- the Admiral said she'd rather have ME charge HER phone on MY side. This was an obligation I was fine with, and in fact there was no judgment, because I was also in the Marines, and adaptation comes without hesitation. But now as it turns out, she'd like to control her own charging situation and wants a USB charge scenario on her side. After thinking about making another hole in my boat for a 12v connection, it took me back to the Navy part of me, where I remembered it's usually wrong to make a hole in a boat, unless it belongs to the bad guys - I learned that there. SO, I started researching a bit. I looked up the stats for the MS2013BT Jensen Stereo and found the manual, which I have a physical copy of, but I keep that hidden on my boat someplace for emergencies I guess, lol. The online manual says there's a USB tail. I know from my boat -- it only has the aux plug only, just right of the stereo. I had the dealer replace the panel on the backside in the cabin as I noted during initial inspection that there were cracks. I suspect by pulling that off, a guy could look up in there and see the USB connector dangling. I might look this weekend and I'll see if I can send a pic. IF it's there, then I suspect we could buy the attachment I linked earlier, and just replace the aux-only connection, and have both stereo connectivity and charging capability and aux connection right there at the same plug. No new holes in the boat! Sorry for all the distractive thoughts!!! Lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut.

Bayliner 642 Owners 18 Aug 2017 13:59 #59

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Jon, it's funny - admiral or general - the ladies like to change their minds! Last overnight, my wife said she wished she had a the BlueSea in-cabin panel on her side of the cabin! For some reason, she sleeps on the starboard side and I have the port. But she's also practical and hasn't yet "demanded" another mod for her convenience. We added at delivery just a 12V socket without USB (just like the one on the helm station) on the port helm station just above the 3mm aux jack mainly because we thought it would make sense eventually. And it did, because we use it primarily to plug in a 12V coffee pot we use to heat water for our French press coffee maker. (It's not the most efficient heater, but gets the job done for 2 cups of coffee.) It's also used to plug in the second fan we use at night (I'll put a photo of those in another reply.) In the past, the two in-cabin USBs were sufficient for charging our phones in the evening; like we do at home anyway. However, last time out she used her phone a lot to keep in touch with sister about MIL's health issues. A USB charger on the port helm station would have been convenient. Bayliner could add a a serious panel on the port helm station without a lot of cost; my new Jeep has a 3mm jack, USB, 12V socket and a SD card slot now on the dash.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 18 Aug 2017 14:04 #60

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
We have 2 of these 12V fans; they work great at night even in the hot, humid summer weather of the Chesapeake. We just sit them inside the cabin at the hatch; you can control the direction each individual fan aims.

This message has an attachment image.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 17 Sep 2017 00:18 #61

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Been having some issues with the tach reading wildly high rpm's. Read about the Mercruiser VesselView Module on another thread and decided to get one. Finally got the module installed. I need to exchange a couple emails with Mercruiser to verify the terminator connection to install the wiring harness and Mercruiser rep was great - sending additional written instructions and some pics. Photos of the install.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 02 Oct 2017 03:54 #62

• rhythmpoetdonut
That's awesome Rick! I'll be getting one of those modules this off season. I did verify the USB plug, there is one from the stock stereo. The provided 8th inch aux jack runs through a half in hole, though, so a hole saw will be required for installing the aux/USB combo jack. However, I have no problem recommending the change. Another off season effort, but looking forward to it! Best, Jon

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds