Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bayliner 642 Owners

Bayliner 642 Owners 08 Dec 2016 17:15 #26

• scout265
  • Thank you received: 20
Jon & Rick....enjoy reading your posts and ideas. Thank you! I think I'm done with mods. I also have a modded Jeep and FJ Cruiser that I off-road with so I'm modded out and just want to enjoy at this point. But you guys may change my mind on that with some of your ideas. B) Jon......cooler should fit fine in front of the port side seat as long as it's not the big size. Though what I'd consider is stuffing a smaller soft sided cooler in that rear starboard storage compartment. Might not fit as many beers though ;) Below is a pic of the deck we have at our covered slip. You can't see it all but we also have a small refrigerator freezer and microwave there and an additional Rubbermaid dock box. Some of what's in there is a portable heater and cooler that we set up outside the cuddy door to blow in there at night using shore power. So we have a lot there we can utilize year-round making some boat mods unnecessary for us. And like with the boat table.....we rarely use it.

I think the reason my boat ended up at a dealer in southern CA where I bought it is because this particular dealer had just added Bayliner to his offerings and him getting a 642 to sell was part of the promo for that. I felt lucky to get it has he said he had a lot of inquiries about it from the moment it arrived. But as I had researched it well in advance, I was ready to pull the trigger on it shortly after it got there. As Bayliner seems to be moving towards more OBs and away from I/Os here in the states, if they bring the VR5 cuddy here, I'm guessing that's how it will be offered up. But personally, I'd rather not to have that massive hump in the back and in the middle of the swim platform. Cheers!!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2016 Bayliner 642 Overnighter / 4.5L Mercruiser 200
Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

Bayliner 642 Owners 09 Dec 2016 04:53 #27

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
That looks real inviting Dale! I could sit there all night long:) Great photo!!! This reminds me how I need to buy a camera that stays on the boat!!!

So, here's a mod that's happening in the next two weeks. Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro. All I need to do is Velcro it, and the guys cut the holes and run the cables.

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS
Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut. Reason: More info

Bayliner 642 Owners 09 Dec 2016 05:19 #28

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

scout265 wrote: Jon & Rick....enjoy reading your posts and ideas. Thank you! I think I'm done with mods. I also have a modded Jeep and FJ Cruiser that I off-road with so I'm modded out and just want to enjoy at this point. But you guys may change my mind on that with some of your ideas. B) Jon......cooler should fit fine in front of the port side seat as long as it's not the big size. Though what I'd consider is stuffing a smaller soft sided cooler in that rear starboard storage compartment. Might not fit as many beers though ;) Below is a pic of the deck we have at our covered slip. You can't see it all but we also have a small refrigerator freezer and microwave there and an additional Rubbermaid dock box. Some of what's in there is a portable heater and cooler that we set up outside the cuddy door to blow in there at night using shore power. So we have a lot there we can utilize year-round making some boat mods unnecessary for us. And like with the boat table.....we rarely use it.

I think the reason my boat ended up at a dealer in southern CA where I bought it is because this particular dealer had just added Bayliner to his offerings and him getting a 642 to sell was part of the promo for that. I felt lucky to get it has he said he had a lot of inquiries about it from the moment it arrived. But as I had researched it well in advance, I was ready to pull the trigger on it shortly after it got there. As Bayliner seems to be moving towards more OBs and away from I/Os here in the states, if they bring the VR5 cuddy here, I'm guessing that's how it will be offered up. But personally, I'd rather not to have that massive hump in the back and in the middle of the swim platform. Cheers!!

Hmmm... That looks a LOT like Scorpion Bay Marina...

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Bayliner 642 Owners 09 Dec 2016 05:42 #29

• scout265
Hmmm... That looks a LOT like Scorpion Bay Marina...[/quote]

Na we'd never be able to keep up with all those young partiers over there. :woohoo: We're at kickback Bartlett. B) Plus I don't think their slips allow for decks there either at SB. But it seems a nicely run marina and we'd probably be there if not for Bartlett. Who just added a restaurant too so they are up and coming these days.

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA
Last Edit: by scout265.

Bayliner 642 Owners 09 Dec 2016 08:33 #30

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
If you're ever up our way at Lake Havasu, let me know, love to see your boat and have a cold one. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scout265

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Bayliner 642 Owners 10 Dec 2016 16:08 #31

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63

rhythmpoetdonut wrote: I hope to be happy with my 4.3L MPI for now,
Now you can see how my almost good ideas usually die:)

Two other ideas -- one is I'd like to stuff a cooler (like an RTIC or Yeti 20) just forward of the port seat - would it fit? I'd order a foam padded lid (they have them!) and create a secure spot for an onboard cooler that is also a great little seat. Wondering what the dimensions were there (LWH) between the port seat and bulkheads, and the height of the port seat from the deck.

I have no doubt you'll be happy with the 4.3L MPI. Mine performs great on the Chesapeake Bay.

I'm sure you can find a cooler that fits in that space, but it might not fill up the space completely and height could be the long pole in the tent (only slightly intended pun). To get one with the exact height to make it level with the current bench seat so as to be able to sit on it might be a bridge too far. Plus you take away the ability for someone to sit portside and face forward. Of course, as I've noted before the gunwales are so high that you have to be fairly tall to be able to see out/forward when sitting portside anyway.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

Bayliner 642 Owners 10 Dec 2016 22:45 #32

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

scout265 wrote: Though what I'd consider is stuffing a smaller soft sided cooler in that rear starboard storage compartment. Might not fit as many beers though

We have done just that on occasion, but that compartment doesn't hold much - the soft side cooler we use couldn't handle more than a six-pack or so. We usually keep water bottles in there for quick access.

For our first season, our main cooler was a 30qt Igloo that works fine for a day/overnight. It stows in the cabin floor when underway and sits nicely behind the helm seat when anchored. It has also sat there while underway for short distances with no problem. (It fits in the area at the portside seat as well, but not high enough to sit on like Jon is thinking.)

I'm thinking we'll upgrade next season to a bit larger cooler that will stay behind the helm seat all the time. Lots of threads here on BOC about coolers, especially the premium category like Yeti; so, I won't open that can of frozen worms here...

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Bayliner 642 Owners 11 Dec 2016 23:43 #33

• rhythmpoetdonut
Exactly, I like the idea of a Yeti, Cabelas, Pelican, Rtic, or something tough with rubber feet. I'd like to use it in either of two places; behind helm seat and as extra seat on port side. The Yeti Tundra 35 would fit almost perfect in the port cavity, including allowing for speaker clearance, and a guy could install just the right thickness pad with snaps for use as an extra seat in that location. Could even install a little backrest above on the gunnel. Like Rick indicates, it doesn't have to always be there, it can ride in the cabin, or behind the helm seats with tie downs. It could also serve as an extra table seat when the helm seat is turned around. I love multipurpose things like that. The Yeti Roadie 20 would also work, better if you want to open the cooler or port storage when things are in place. You can order the seat pads for either. I'll pin some picks for the dimensions. I haven't factored height with carpet and snaps yet. It occurs to me it can be leveled upward from the bottom, too, by gluing a non-slip mat to the bottom of the unit. yeti.com/size-and-capacity/ . I'll see if I can find some Igloo and Colemans that also fit:)

This message has attachments images.

Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut. Reason: More info

Bayliner 642 Owners 11 Feb 2017 14:54 #34

• Scotty67
  • Thank you received: 5
Just put down my deposit for a new 642 - will take delivery end of next month and can't wait!

First boat for us so really looking forward to enjoying it

Bayliner 642 Owners 12 Feb 2017 14:28 #35

• scout265
Just waking up in the cuddy of my 642 as I read your post. Congrats and enjoy Scotty. We love ours.

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

Bayliner 642 Owners 12 Feb 2017 17:59 #36

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Welcome Scotty! This our first boat as well - you will not be disappointed. Great boat.

When you say "new" - what year? The dealer where I bought my 2015 as a new boat last year - in the factory wrap - still has two new 2015s in inventory. Just curious if your boat is a 2016 since Bayliner didn't offer the 642 in the US during 2017 model year. PS: Where are you located?

By the way, on the Europe page of the Bayliner site, they are now offering a VR5 Cuddy in Europe. As well as a Cierra 8 as an overnighter. In addition to the usual 642, 742, and 842. Still not sure why there isn't more interest in smaller cuddies in the US market.

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner 642 Owners 12 Feb 2017 18:00 #37

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

scout265 wrote: Just waking up in the cuddy of my 642 as I read your post.

Getting anxious for winter to be over here on the Bay so I can wake up in the cabin of my 642. :whistle:

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 13 Feb 2017 09:17 #38

• Scotty67
Hi,

It's a factory wrapped 2016 - my brokerage had two, one was a demo and the one we picked up

We are located on the South coast of England, we looked at the VR5 cuddy but from my perspective the 642 is a more usable size, particularly in the cuddy department

Can't wait to get going

Scotty

Bayliner 642 Owners 14 Feb 2017 00:48 #39

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Yes, from the photos on the Bayliner Europe site, the VR5 Cuddy looked quite small. Of course, many with the bigger Bayliners on BOC may think the 642 cabin a bit sparse/cramped. It all depends on preferences. But I find it difficult to imagine how the VR5 Cuddy would be marketable. Certainly, here in the US it would be dead upon arrival, in my humble opinion.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 22 Mar 2017 04:03 #40

• rhythmpoetdonut
Hi Scotty!! Congrats!! I purchased my 2015 642 last fall and have yet to take the maiden voyage. Stored currently, but receiving upgrades. This winter has given me time to acquire gadgets and tools, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how to pack it. Spring is arriving now here in the Inland of the Pacific Northwest US. In three weeks I pick it up! Super excited!

I wanted to tell you guys, I went cautiously with friends to a large local boat show recently. Saw many boats, including the 2550 Regal. Probably similar to the VR5, cuddly was cramped. Certainly a lot more expensive. I came away so happy and pleased with thoughts of my 642. I definitely made the best choice. Can't wait!!!

Cheers,
Jon

Bayliner 642 Owners 22 Mar 2017 21:55 #41

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

rhythmpoetdonut wrote: I spend a lot of time thinking about how to pack it.

Jon, the great thing about the storage on the 642 is that it's "just enough" - no room to pack unnecessary gear. We've been able to easily get the necessary equipment plus enough supplies for a 2-night trip into the two stowage lockers (in the deck and under the port side bench seat. Anything in the cabin has usually stayed in place even in some rough chop on the Bay. You'll find room to pack what you want.

We've added a couple inflatable tubes to the list for floating while anchored this season; so, my current stowage plan will need some adjusting. But I think there's plenty of room still in the deck compartment.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 27 Apr 2017 09:09 #42

• Scotty67
New boat is here and in the water, just need to get out on her more

Bayliner 642 Owners 27 Apr 2017 15:19 #43

• scout265
Congrats!!!

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

Bayliner 642 Owners 28 Apr 2017 00:52 #44

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Nice to see you got her in the water Scotty! Enjoy. We've only had our's out once so far this season and this weekend we'll put her in the shop to have the skylights re-set. Really hoping that doesn't take too long.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 29 Apr 2017 03:55 #45

• rhythmpoetdonut
Nice Scotty! I see you're using 3 fenders. I think that's what I'll plan for. I hope to get mine out in two weeks. Ran the engine the other day, purrs. So excited!! I'll post some pics with the new boat name.

Bayliner 642 Owners 02 Jun 2017 03:04 #46

• rhythmpoetdonut
Hi gang, finally got the boat out, occurring on a beautiful holiday weekend on the south end of Lake Coeur d'Alene. We had two great days and nights on the boat. Posting some pics and mods here. Keel guard coming next week, and a 12v receptacle beneath the back bench for guest cell phone charging and for the 12v car vac we just purchased. Pics below include dual battery setup, placement of hours meter, location of tool bag (strapped in, also), and some shots at the dock. Hope all is well!

Bayliner 642 Owners 02 Jun 2017 05:13 #47

• scout265
Well done Rhythm! Did an overnighter on ours last weekend. Will probably go back out again this weekend as well. Everything has been ship shape with it. Cheers!

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

Bayliner 642 Owners 03 Jun 2017 14:39 #48

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Jon, she looks beautiful on the water!

And I like where you put the battery switch! Wish I had thought of that one... I've been contemplating a place inside the engine compartment to store my tool box, just haven't got it quite figured out though. Right now it sits in in the aft section of the port side seat storage. But that compartment fills up quick when overnighting.

12V car vac... Nice idea. Might have to get one of those... Beats dragging the ShopVac down to the dock all the time and you also have something when out on the water.

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner 642 Owners 03 Jun 2017 14:43 #49

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

scout265 wrote: Well done Rhythm! Did an overnighter on ours last weekend. Will probably go back out again this weekend as well. Everything has been ship shape with it. Cheers!

Dale, nice to see you getting out on the water! Unfortunately, I think our season is going to be meager. Went out in early April for a lunch cruise. Then had an overnighter planned at the end of April, but the morning leaving for the trip we hit a crab pot 50 yards out of our channel. Spent 7.5 hours waiting for a tow and the tow itself to the marina; boat was laid up for two weeks. We got her back last week, but family issues which will last through the summer are probably going to take away any opportunity to get on the water.

Rick

Bayliner 642 Owners 10 Jul 2017 01:06 #50

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Rick!! Awesome, yes 3 nights on the boat so far, and about 40 hrs of use so far. Not bad for the Pacific Northwest. I had several things crop up: infamous glow engine light deal, leakage through one of the lifting eyes, gas tank sending issue (wired backwards and not grounded well), and then an issue with four or six on board where it almost can't plane. Most are warranty repairs. Getting an 18p 4-blade prop to help with planing, as boat is geared tall.

Jon, thought I'd move your comment in the "toolbox" thread here to the 642 owners thread. Did I miss something with the "infamous glow engine light deal"? And leaking through lifting eyes ... hmmm I've been wondering where random water in the bilge has been coming from...
On the good side; I've had four adults on board and haven't had any problem planing; in fact, sometimes I have to hold her back because she likes to fly. But have wondered about changing props to see if I'd get any more efficiency.

Rick

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds