Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2859 Owners

2859 Owners 02 Sep 2017 19:13 #551

• icewaker
  • Thank you received: 15
Doug,Your pilot house leak. I chased mine for years, finally found the water was getting in the anchor light wire. Flemming good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2859, volvo kad 42 230hp Dawson CK. BC

2859 Owners 02 Sep 2017 19:28 #552

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 185
Icewaker, glad to see you on the forum once more, have you fished your self out for the season, Fritz.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 03 Sep 2017 00:27 #553

• icewaker
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks for noticing Fritz, sure nice to fallow all your boat projects on here. You're a handy guy. We had a good trip to Kitimat this spring then put the boat on Williston lake for the summer but haven't used it much, busy around the yard and trying to finish the new shop before winter. Doesn't sound like Skeeter is having much luck with his engine. Flemming

1994 2859, volvo kad 42 230hp Dawson CK. BC
Last Edit: by icewaker.

2859 Owners 03 Sep 2017 01:08 #554

• Hd288
  • Thank you received: 0
hey can you guys tell me is this stupid concrete in all the models, I have a 2001
thanks

2859 Owners 04 Sep 2017 15:07 #555

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Flemming, Skeeter has the engine problem solved but quit fishing and the boat is For Sale, Crags List S.E. Alaska. He is home in MT.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 04 Sep 2017 15:10 #556

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi and welcome to this forum Hd288 best info. I have everyone that lucked has found concrete, port side under the batteries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hd288

Old Glue

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 03:57 #557

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1

Just graduated from 3 years with my 2452 to a 2005 289. Bought it 400 miles from my home in a lake, and the boat had been superficially neglected, but had about 120 hours on a Mag MPI 350. Long story short, I got it home and spent lots of time getting it cleaned up, and all in all, I am going to have a nice boat for hopefully the next 10 years or more! When I got it, it was heavily oxidized and very chalky. A couple of days with a polisher and plenty of compound and we got the shine back.

Attachment not found

I just caught up on the forum, and am wondering about concrete under the batteries. How can you tell? I suspect mine may not have it as it is a later model and I read that it may have been only in the early models, but when sleeping, I do notice a port list on the boat ( there is also a kicker mounted though). Seems like a terrible waste to put concrete in a small boat :(.

I have been trying out a few props on the B2 outdrive, and I have settled that a 21P aluminum quicksilver prop offers the best fuel economy and cruise. At 4000-4200 in calm water with a medium load, I am getting 1.8 to 1.9 mpg according to the smartcraft gauge I have connected to the motor. When fully loaded ( 4 adults and 3 kids.. gear, kicker and full fuel) I am still able to eek out 1.7mpg... with it dropping to 1.5 or 1.6 if there is wind or chop. I liked the 21p so much, I ordered a 21p Solas Stainless prop that I hope gives me the same performance, but with additional security. With the 2452 I topped out at 2.3mpg... but usually hit 2.1mpg.... so 1.8-1.9mpg is really not that big of a hit in performance. Interestingly, the best fuel economy comes at around 30mph. Faster than I would have guessed, but that's when the gauge shows the best fuel economy ( shows a mpg reading in real time).

Attachment not found

I notice this boat likes lots of trim tab nose down, even at cruising speed. It also takes a fair amount of leg up trim... maybe 3-4 seconds worth?

I am currently doing some upgrades. The biggest project right now is adding 420watts of flexible solar panels to the roof. I have relocated the horn and anchor light, and am switching out the bulk head roof nuts that protrude with flush mounted T-bolts. Right now the panels are in the mail, so it is all just prep work now. As part of the project, I'll be wiring in a 1200watt inverter and eventually would like to put a flat led display by the dinnete.

Took off old stripes and have now installed reflective "Seahawks" stripes. Didn't do a perfect job, but I think totally acceptable for my first time doing it!

Attachment not found

I have had it out on several trips and am really happy with the upgrade from the 2452.

Looking forward to getting to know the boat better.

On my not so fun project list, I think I need to replace the macerator pump. Getting not even a sound out of it. Need to replace water heater... I think. Prior mechanic said tank cracked in a freeze, but I am testing the tank and it seems to be holding water.... so I am not sure what the real story is.

Hopefully my plans don't include chipping out 200lbs of concrete.... but if it's there... its coming out.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by KPS.

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 13:34 #558

• jongleur
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3
Pretty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 15:34 #559

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice boat and welcome to the gang, as for concrete forward and close to the 2inch wide stringer drill a 1/8th hole through the plywood only 1/2 inch stick an ice pick down, if you hit some thing hard 1to 2 inches down get set to chip away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS

Old Glue

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 19:06 #560

• KPS
Yep. It's there. Not sure if I am happy or not. Will be a nice weight reduction but not looking forward to job.

Already digging in.

Removed batteries and cleared area

Removed tilt pump.

Did one hatch with angled in cut so hopefully I can just set the plywood in the hole and it stays put.

I have spent about an hour getting concrete out with a rotohammer, slege hammer and chisel. VERY slow going.

Thinking of getting an air hammer with chisel tip at harbor freight to
Break concrete (what tools are best for this? Harbor Freight in town)

Seal new bottom with fiberglass? (Is this part optional?)

Thanks

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 22:07 #561

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14

KPS wrote: Yep. It's there. Not sure if I am happy or not. Will be a nice weight reduction but not looking forward to job.

Already digging in.

Removed batteries and cleared area

Removed tilt pump.

Did one hatch with angled in cut so hopefully I can just set the plywood in the hole and it stays put.

I have spent about an hour getting concrete out with a rotohammer, slege hammer and chisel. VERY slow going.

Thinking of getting an air hammer with chisel tip at harbor freight to
Break concrete (what tools are best for this? Harbor Freight in town)

Seal new bottom with fiberglass? (Is this part optional?)

Thanks

I haven't removed my concrete yet - hasn't been an issue for me. Where are you located? Assuming somewhere in the PNW due to your excellent choice in striping colors!
Go Hawks!

97 2859

2859 Owners 09 Sep 2017 23:57 #562

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Go Hawks!

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2859 Owners 10 Sep 2017 22:11 #563

• KPS
I got it out today before the Seahawk game, but it didn't come out clean or easy. A few big chunks here and there but mostly gravel sized bits. Air impact hammer helped tons, but even with it, I'd say it's a full day job start to finish.

Totally dry in there, but it just took time. I bet the shop vac itself sucked up 50 pounds of the debris.

I got it all except maybe an eighth of an inch where the concrete seems bonded to the fiberglass. I did have to cut a second hatch hole under the water heater area.

My plan is to screw a lip under the hatch holes and reuse the plywood I cut out.

My question is the PVC pipe like tube that's like against the stringer. I think that a drain from the forward bilge. I drilled a couple holes in order to act as drains should water get under the batteries. Is that an ok idea?

Feels good knowing the boat just she'd 150-180 lbs.

Just in time for Seahawks game!

Btw.. I am in Bellingham, WA

2859 Owners 10 Sep 2017 22:34 #564

• green650
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

KPS wrote: I got it out today before the Seahawk game, but it didn't come out clean or easy. A few big chunks here and there but mostly gravel sized bits. Air impact hammer helped tons, but even with it, I'd say it's a full day job start to finish.

Totally dry in there, but it just took time. I bet the shop vac itself sucked up 50 pounds of the debris.

I got it all except maybe an eighth of an inch where the concrete seems bonded to the fiberglass. I did have to cut a second hatch hole under the water heater area.

My plan is to screw a lip under the hatch holes and reuse the plywood I cut out.

My question is the PVC pipe like tube that's like against the stringer. I think that a drain from the forward bilge. I drilled a couple holes in order to act as drains should water get under the batteries. Is that an ok idea?

Feels good knowing the boat just she'd 150-180 lbs.

Just in time for Seahawks game!

Btw.. I am in Bellingham, WA

After washing my deck, water would get stuck mostly at the port side transom, outboard to the trim pump. My boat listed that way. I drilled a hole there so water would drain to the concrete compartment. Next I was planning on drilling holes, or cut slots on that wood strip that runs along the edge of the shelf. It seems to nothing other than trap water on the shelf.

2859 Owners 11 Sep 2017 16:31 #565

• KPS
I have had the same thoughts about that wood strip, however I want to make sure that it isn't structural or going to lead to something rotting that shouldn't. I agree however that I have noticed water getting trapped there, but maybe now that the concrete is gone, it will be less of an issue.

2859 Owners 11 Sep 2017 16:37 #566

• KPS
Here are some pics of my hole.

Initially I tried to make one that was a little bigger than 30 x 13". It was about 32" x 14" starting 2" to the port side of the stringer.

I realized that I needed to go further under the water heater, but that at that location I didn't need as much width as I did from the initial hole.

In the end I was able to get it all out. I am impressed at how string the fiberglass is. The whole time I was concerned that i could damage/hurt/puncture the hull, but I see no evidence anywhere that it has any damage at all from the concrete extraction.

I get to start putting it all together today.

Finished.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

2859 Owners 11 Sep 2017 16:55 #567

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
KPS, good job, I coated the bottom in that compartment with resin and laminated in 2 layers of 1.5 mat, just for overkill, moved the water heater all the way up to the bulkhead, Weight transfer, again overkill. Drains, any time you dill a drain hole through wood make it larger so a section of Pvc pipe can be glued in to seal the wood form being situated, hopefully keep from rot.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 18 Sep 2017 01:48 #568

• JThiessen
Engine Issue here:
Engine will start running rough, mostly at idle. When its doing this, and I attempt to accelerate, it backfires if I give it too much throttle.
Its also been burning a LOT of fuel.
I've replaced plugs, fuel filter, and run a can of fuel system cleaner through it (Seafoam).

I havent rebuilt the carb since I bought it (one year ago) and have put about 150 hours on it this year so far. So my guess is that i have some debris in the carb. Hence the periodic nature of it (but - it happens every time I take it out). Solution on the water has been to either shut the engine off and restart, or attempt to run it at a higher rpm till it goes away. The latter is less reliable than shutting the engine off.

97 2859

2859 Owners 18 Sep 2017 13:54 #569

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
  • Thank you received: 20
Backfires thru the exhaust or thru the carb?

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

2859 Owners 18 Sep 2017 14:58 #570

• fritzman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A timing issue ?

Old Glue

2859 Owners 19 Sep 2017 00:23 #571

• JThiessen

sketch96 wrote: Backfires thru the exhaust or thru the carb?

I honestly don't know - to me it's almost sounded like exhaust. I picked up a rebuild kit today, but they had to order the O-Rings (Weber carb) from Detroit.
I'd think a timing issue would be an all the time thing.

97 2859
Last Edit: by JThiessen.

2859 Owners 19 Sep 2017 00:34 #572

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
Doesnt hurt to give the carb a rebuild regardless. Keep us posted. I would check the timing also. You have already done a tune up and that is part of a good tuneup. Takes one more thing out of the equation also.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

2859 Owners 20 Sep 2017 16:05 #573

• KPS

fritzman wrote: Good morning all green 650 I cut out the fish well simpler to get to battery's I build a battery box that fits forward in that compartment and moved the switch so the cable run is shorter.

How much do you think that fish well weighed that you removed? Did you just use a jig saw to cut it out? Considering this for weight savings and accessing more room under the hatch. Last time I put crab in there, they all died :(

2859 Owners 20 Sep 2017 19:59 #574

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
The PO removed the fish wells on both sides in my boat. Not sure how they cut them out but they did a nice job.

I have 2 batteries mounted right behind the water heater and a 15hp kicker on that side as well. Starboard side is wide open now. May put an extra fuel cell in there later. Storage for ropes and buoys etc for now.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

2859 Owners 20 Sep 2017 22:32 #575

• jongleur
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3
Would the floor become weaker with the
bait tank cut out?

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds