TOPIC: 2859 Owners

2859 Owners 26 Apr 2017 01:13 #476

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
  • Thank you received: 20
So the 2859 came with window screens??? Would love to get some for mine!

I think I read somewhere the angle of the transom is 15deg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

2859 Owners 26 Apr 2017 04:40 #477

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks

1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

2859 Owners 27 Apr 2017 13:47 #478

• skeeter3
  • skeeter3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Got up this morning to 2” new snow here in Montana thank god I’m all packed and leaving for Alaska in the morning, going as far as Greatfalls to see Fritzmans new engine and spend the night, next day head for Prince Rupert, BC to catch ferry to Ketchikan and start the boating season.
Hopefully I can meet Flemming (Icewalker) on the way for coffee and see his 2859.
Get all tuned up for the King Salmon Derby.
I have new engine to install plus several other things to do like wax Skeeter3, overhaul fishing gear, install new helm seat, get fishing gear ready, get boat ready to live aboard, play with fishing gear, launch Skeeter3, break in new engine while fishing.
Can’t wait to get fishing cause September comes to quick, then hunting season then back to Montana and play in the snow for the winter.
It’s sure great to be retired.
Does anyone see whats wrong with this plan??? :) :)
Skeeter

1994 2859 Bayliner Cierra Classic
7.4 Cu In 454 , 400HP New 2013:smileflag
New Bravo 3 outdrive 2011
My summer condo:D

2859 Owners 27 Apr 2017 15:18 #479

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 183
Well with all that plan toke some Vitamin with you, see you Fry.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 28 Apr 2017 15:44 #480

• keithjabber
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Monkey fur on the underside of the hard top has about had it. Getting moldy, coming loose in places, disintegrating in others.

Picked up a new radar that I have to install soon which would require some cutting or removing of it anyways, so probably going to tackle removing or replacing it at the same time.

Any projects of what others have done here. Thinking either leave it uncovered and paint and put some nice wire channels up for the lighting and radar wires or going with a naugahyde type material.

Haven't peaked under there yet, this is a 1994, am I likely to find finished gel coat under there?

Keith
Waukegan, IL
1994 2859, Mercruise 6.3L 383 MPI (Repower)

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 04:20 #481

• BravoZulu
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the info Alaskan Spirit! I'll give it a try.

Yesterday's Launch Day!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Marc
2001 2859, 350 Merc MPI, "Bravo Zulu" South Haven, MI

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 08:21 #482

• aknurse
  • Thank you received: 11
Ive had my gal out twice now this year and I'm tired of all of the problems already. I had a shop replace the heat exchanger this last winter because they were doing some other work. They didn't secure one of the hoses to the exhaust which caused flooding, a freaked out skipper and crew, a distress call over the radio, and salt water ingestion in the intake with water in the oil. I got her dried out, changed the plugs, and changed the oil x 3 until it was clear. Took her out and she ran like a champ on the way out and lit right off the next morning. Shut her down to fish and then she would not start at all. 40 miles is a long trip back on a 9.9HP. Its probably something simple like the coil or ecm as the spark was erratic but the starter is toast now too so its harder to self diagnose. I have no idea the hours on the engine and she burned a good quart or better per day. With the saltwater issues I just don't trust her reliability. Since I have more credit than brains I've decided to repower her rather than throw more money at this 7.4. I'm leaning towards the 496 HO @ 425 HP and a new Bravo II X since my B2 isn't rated for the extra torque according to what I have read. I had considered just going with a 383 and keeping my current drive. I'm still considering it, but have a strange feeling Id be disappointed. I'd love some input. I'm pulling the trigger early next week so I can get back in the water ASAP

"REEL WILD"
2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
Anchorage, Alaska
If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 14:39 #483

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
Ouch ouch ouch! That will be expensive but will be awesome when complete!

It would be interesting to see how the 383 would perform. Good torque motor. Lighter than a big block. But not sure what kind of longevity it would get. The big block bottom end is just built heavier than a small block.

I think I would go the 496 route for that reason. Big motor for a big boat.

If your thinking weight reduction. Under the port side battery/water heater deck is a big slab of concrete. 180lbs approx. If you have a kicker motor and extra battery mounted on that same side you need to remove all the concrete as they are approx the same weight and will do the same job as the concrete for ballast. That's a lot of rear weight!!!

If you remove the concrete and install the 383 and add aluminum exhaust you would probably drop almost 450lbs. All off the rear of a known rear heavy boat!!! Huge difference I'm thinking!

Just my 2 cents!

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 15:58 #484

• aknurse
Im not so worried about weight reduction. The only reason Id go 383 is its an under $20k fix vs a $35-$40k fix. I plan on owning this boat another 5 years at least so I would really be able to enjoy the 496. I talked to the owner of a 2859 with the 383 thats up for sale. He seemed to praise it performance wise. The 496 has so many plusses over the stroker though. Hmmmmmmmm

"REEL WILD"
Anchorage, Alaska

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 16:03 #485

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
aknurse My 2 cent.-- how many HR. on your 454? 750 or less perhaps just need the electrical cleaned up and carb rebuild, that is where most problems start, if you are set on a repower a newer fuel injected 454 will be fie and as sketch indicated rip the concrete out to lighten the pride and joy, and last 1 cent perhaps take some classes to be in a position to attack problems on your own, have a great weekend. :) :)

Old Glue

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 16:20 #486

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805

aknurse wrote: I had a shop replace the heat exchanger this last winter because they were doing some other work. They didn't secure one of the hoses to the exhaust which caused flooding, a freaked out skipper and crew, a distress call over the radio, and salt water ingestion in the intake with water in the oil.

Insurance? Seems there would be some liability on the shop that performed the work on you boat, forgetting to install a cooling hose etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aknurse

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2859 Owners 30 Apr 2017 18:22 #487

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
That is true. Insurance may cover the repairs if a licensed shop did the work. Worth a look if so.

The previous owner of the boat I have had the 7.4 Rebuilt and installed a 496 stroker kit. I believe he said it cost him approx 7000. That was with the re and re of the motor and a full rebuild. He tossed the peanut port heads and stock intake at the same time and upgraded the heads and an aluminum intake.

The motor idles better than stock (dead smooth) and has way more torque. He had to go up in pitch on the prop from 19 to a 21. (He went from the stock 3 blade to a stainless 4 blade).

This route may save you a lot of money over buying a complete new motor from mercruiser I would think. Unless yours is a high hr motor already and totally worn out.

Fritzman is right. Probably 60% or more of the cost of the bill your talking to do a major refit is labour. Doing this yourself will save a ton of money.......and you will know who did the job and that they didn't skip over anything......or forget to install another hose!!

I'm deep in a major refit right now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: aknurse

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

2859 Owners 01 May 2017 01:19 #488

• aknurse

fritzman wrote: aknurse My 2 cent.-- how many HR. on your 454? 750 or less perhaps just need the electrical cleaned up and carb rebuild, that is where most problems start, if you are set on a repower a newer fuel injected 454 will be fie and as sketch indicated rip the concrete out to lighten the pride and joy, and last 1 cent perhaps take some classes to be in a position to attack problems on your own, have a great weekend. :) :)[/quote

According to the PO, this 7.4 MPI had approx 800 hrs when I bought it a year ago. Its consistently used oil since I bought it. After cruising for 2 hours she is usually a quart low. Ive put minimum of 100 hrs on her myself. I work on many things myself but my large stature makes it hard to fit sometimes lol. I've been playing with the idea of a repower for quite awhile now. I was hoping to make it through this summer first.I'd love a cheap fix but just cant see dumping anymore $$$ on this motor. I relish having a 3 year factory warranty. Honestly, this will be the closest thing to a "new boat" for a long time. I'd love to have the time to tinker on her all summer but I just don't. I need her back on the water ASAP. I know I'll never get back what I put into her. But thats never the point when you own a boat. I can't afford unreliability when I head out 50-60 miles.

"REEL WILD"
Anchorage, Alaska
Last Edit: by aknurse.

2859 Owners 01 May 2017 15:36 #489

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK aknurse if you are set on a repower check out Michigan Motors, many positive comments on this forum regarding there quality, on the other hand you could wined up with a bad builder like my buddy Skeeter3, he is headed up to Ketchikan right now to reinstall his engine--- it needed a compete rebuild, after only short run time.

Old Glue

Fresh Water Pump - hidden switch somewhere? 13 May 2017 23:04 #490

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
Alright - I'll admit it - I'm lost.
Trying to get water to turn on. Not sure if I'm doing it right and I have a bad pump, or hopefully I'm just missing something.
We used the Lav sink and kitchen sink while out on the boat last year - I dont recall turning anything on to do this. We were docked and plugged in at the time.
SInce then, we've been unable to get anything but the shower pump to turn on (that switch is obvious).
I'm in real need of using the outside sprayer while shrimping (cleaning off the deck), but it would also be nice to be able to run a little fresh water too.
I'm assuming the outside shower runs off the fresh water tank and pump?
This pump should be able to run while out on the water too, correct?

97 2859

2859 Owners 13 May 2017 23:17 #491

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
You have to turn the fresh water pump SWITCH ON,
yes it will work while out on the water...it's a 12VDC system.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2859 Owners 16 May 2017 02:04 #492

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14

Ruffryder wrote: You have to turn the fresh water pump SWITCH ON,
yes it will work while out on the water...it's a 12VDC system.

Thats what I thought - but I cant find the damn thing!

97 2859

2859 Owners 31 May 2017 22:12 #493

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
How I spend the weekend.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 17 Jun 2017 06:40 #494

• aknurse
Hey all. I just got home today from a nice long shakedown cruise after my recent diesel repower with a 300hp FNM. I took her out a week ago to put some break in hours on her and calibrate my Floscan so I could post up some more accurate numbers. According to the Flowscan I burned 62 gal. while breaking her in mostly. When I topped her off, she took 60.5 gal. Close enough for me. After a couple of disappointing prop options in the initial sea trial with the dealer I opted for staying with my essentially new stock 18.25/19p aluminum Quicksilver. We went out in Prince William Sound on a gorgeous flat calm day and was planning a 70 mile run out to get a few halibut while making a few mile detour to drop some shrimp pots along the way. Planning a long trip we were loaded down pretty heavy with 3 people, a 100lb. hound, full water, 160 gal of fuel, and beer n gear. Running out I was able to cruise at 19 mph burning around 12 gph at 80% engine load. (1.6 mpg) After burning off about 30 gal. of fuel, cruise speed at 80% increased to 21 mph still burning 12 gph (1.75 mpg). These numbers are immensely better than the 1.0 mpg with my old 7.4. I lost 1-2 mph cruise speed but gained so much more range now. WOT for this motor is 4000 RPM. At 100% load, after getting down closer to 100 gal. of fuel onboard (which would be my normal load-out) I got her up to just over 4K (and 28 mph) and it was slowly climbing before I backed her off. I think a new SS 20p Powertech prop may give me better numbers. This new engine is 300 lbs lighter than the 7.4 so she stayed on plane at lower speed than before. I believe she would drop off below 15 mph. Before, below 18 and she wallowed. Regardless, she still likes a lot of trim tab to plane and stay up. I probably put 210ish miles on her the last 3 days playing with RPMs and trim with Heavy, Normal, and Light fuel load-outs, averaging 1.7-1.8 mpg. Hull speed of 9 mph burned 3.5 gph for 2.5 mpg. I'm digging the 120 amp alternator too. It puts out a ton of juice at idle. The icing on the cake was 3 halibut 2x20 lb'ers and a 25 lb'er, a couple of gallons of shrimp tails, a substantial octopus, and cruising up next to a glacier to grab some 1000 year ice for my 10 year old scotch.

"REEL WILD"
Anchorage, Alaska

2859 Owners 17 Jun 2017 18:56 #495

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
That's damn good! What diesel are you running .....FNM? Not sure what that is. Excellent gain on range!

Have you removed the concrete from the rear of your boat yet?

What did the changeover to a diesel cost? Curious as I was hoping to get around 1.5mpg with my 496, but seeing you were only getting approx 1.0mpg I'm a bit worried for range as we go out 70miles usually to our fishing grounds.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

2859 Owners 17 Jun 2017 20:18 #496

• aknurse
The powerplant is an FNM 300 HPEP. Its an Italian marine diesel that is relatively new to the US market. I have sales AND SERVICE locally though. Thats what made me pull the trigger. I originally had the 7.4 MPI that I only got 1.0 mpg. I was strongly considering the 496 HO when I stumbled across this diesel for the same $$$. Motor was $21500. Total repower cost with new guages and floscan and some glass mods to redo the motor mounts came in at $28k out the door. Some probably think Im crazy but she literally is like a new boat to me now and all sorts of new adventure paths have been opened with extended range. I didnt do any of the work myself. I dont have the time. I dont have alot of summer to enjoy my girl. And no. I have not began the quest for concrete yet. Maybe this winter.

"REEL WILD"
Anchorage, Alaska
Last Edit: by aknurse.

2859 Owners 17 Jun 2017 20:48 #497

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
$28K ? Ouch:pinch:
Italian made, marinized fiat block, based on the Alfa Romeo 2.998-litre common rail turbo inter-cooled diesel engine.
295HP is a lot of horses they're squeezing out of 3 liter.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2859 Owners 18 Jun 2017 02:47 #498

• sketch96
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
28000.00! Wow. Well I guess if your keeping the boat long term and put lots of hours on it then it's worth it I guess. I would love to get that kind of range for sure but will have to keep on carrying fuel cans and add another on board tank at some point.

I would think resale wise you will be able to get more for it but not sure how much more. I think these 2859 do have all the features a guy needs in an affordable boat. Anything new with the same features is well over 100000.

Enjoy it and be happy! Worth it I think.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

2859 Owners 18 Jun 2017 04:26 #499

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Thank you received: 9
aknurse been away from the forum for a while and just now caught up on your reporter. Sounds good. A couple of question, did you stay with the original out drive, and you stated you carry 160 gal of fuel, where did you come up with the extra fuel storage.

1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

2859 Owners 18 Jun 2017 04:41 #500

• aknurse

Alaskan Spirit wrote: aknurse been away from the forum for a while and just now caught up on your reporter. Sounds good. A couple of question, did you stay with the original out drive, and you stated you carry 160 gal of fuel, where did you come up with the extra fuel storage.

I did stay with my original B2. I have the stock 102 gal. tank and 4x15 gal. cubes carried on deck. I wont be carrying the extra fuel anymore 90% of the time thanks to the better economy. Which solved my only real gripe about the 2859. Lack of range. And I have more room in the engine compartment to boot.

"REEL WILD"
Anchorage, Alaska
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds