Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 13 Apr 2009 03:08 #1

• captben
  • captben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Seems like I have a pretty unique boat.. I don't see too many of them. The Saratogas are a dying breed man..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 15 Apr 2009 14:17 #2

• Skagit_Prince
I own a 1975 Nisqually 2350 CB. Also a dying bread:D

1975 2350 Command Bridge
Volvo/Penta AQ225/280
NOVA
2007 Duroboat 16W "TAZ"
MMSI# 338087086
Before you judge me, walk in my shoes.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 18 Jul 2009 21:25 #3

• captben
bump:prod
bump:arr
:ouch

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 20 Aug 2009 04:24 #4

• bradner
i am doing a total resto on a 76 saratoga all new stringers, transom , building a 383 stroker forged crank rods pistons builder says 375 hp..should tork along nice bith big prop.. iwill put pics up soon ,,jerry p.s glass work almost finished,,

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 20 Aug 2009 21:43 #5

• 74nisqually
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi I have a 74 Nisqually :cool:

My projects
http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/northvanartisan/big%20island%20furniture/
1974 23' Bayliner Nisqually
1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI
DP-S Duoprop, SS F4 Props

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 03 Oct 2009 16:32 #6

• captben

bradner;337836 wrote: i am doing a total resto on a 76 saratoga all new stringers, transom , building a 383 stroker forged crank rods pistons builder says 375 hp..should tork along nice bith big prop.. iwill put pics up soon ,,jerry p.s glass work almost finished,,

I'm also putting a 383 stroker in mine.. mine is finished just needs installed and payed for.. I'm builder says mine is close to 400 hp. I have the keith black hypereutectic flat top pistons bored .030 over balanced and blue-printed RV cam for more low end. had to go with a little thicker Marine head gaskets. to get the correct clearance. I will be putting a Holly carb on it next year.. I completely rebuilt the lower unit. still need floor work done. but focus on the motor this year.. I should be able to put her in the water in a week or two.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 22 Jul 2010 01:04 #7

• Keith R
My buddy ownes a "77" 2550 Satatoga Express. I'm in the process of helping him get it back to being sea worthy. Hull and Bones seem to be in good shape. It has a 350 Chevy with the Volvo Penta out drive.
Just replaced the Blower, Builge Pumps ( both Automatic and Manual)
The owner pulled out the Galley and the Head.(diver trying to reduce weight)

I need to go through all the wireing. Have switches on the dash that don't seem to do anything.
Does Anyone have a suplamental owners manual I can get a copy of?

Keith R.
"1977"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Saratoga 2550 Express
350 Chevy V8/280 Volvo Penta
Every Day is a good one, It's just that some are better then others.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 01 Sep 2010 17:06 #8

• rgreene1971
Hello everyone, newest bayliner owner here. I recently just purchased my first boat which is a 1977 Bayliner Saratoga 2550. Recently started going through and started doing the restore on her. She has a Volvo penta outdrive but only info I have been able to find on the motor is a plate that says "Volvo 225" on it, I am guessing by the looks of the motor it is a chevy 305 motor, any help would be appreciated. Motor and drive seem to run smooth but needs floor and seat work. I will post pics of here shortly at my boat house. I only have the two pics attached so far. Any info and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 08 Sep 2010 17:26 #9

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I picked up this boat a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to bringing it back to life. So far I've removed both cabin side windows and totally re-sealed everything (they had obviously been leaking) I have a new forward hatch on the way (it leaks too) and also have lots of deck hardware coming.

The only rot I have found has been around the window openings and the battery shelf in the engine compartment. I dug out all the rot in window openings and epoxyed between the hull and interior, and have ripped out the rot under the batteries, in preparation to replace and re-fiberglass in there.

Only about ten thousand other things to do, but it should keep me out of trouble over the winter. I plan to freshen up the interior and the deck, replace the outdrive, re-do the dash with new gauges and panels, and generally spruce things up. Lots of work but not nearly as ambitious as some of the projects I've seen on this forum.

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 09 Sep 2010 04:17 #10

• bradner
nice boat , i am doing a full resto on a 2550 saratoga off shore it will be done in spring ,,

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 09 Sep 2010 05:11 #11

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
You may beat me onto the water, but I hope to be out there next year. How much of a pain was it to pull out and replace your engine? Did you just use an a-frame or were you able to get it out some other way?

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 09 Sep 2010 23:35 #12

• Cap'n Bo
I am in the process of restoring a 78 saratoga.(If the machine shop ever gets finished with my block and heads.) Anyway, when I pulled my motor I had a buddy down the road bring his backhoe over to pull the motor. Worked like a champ.:cool:

1978 Saratoga Fisherman
Chevy 350/VP 280
Deep in the Heart of Texas

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 10 Sep 2010 14:56 #13

• dewman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yea I bet that did work well. Now all I need is a buddy with a backhoe :)

1980 Saratoga 2550 SOLD
1999 Regal 2760
MMSI 338121957

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 23 Sep 2010 01:55 #14

• captben
sorry i haven't been on here in awhile little update the 383 stroker worked well for the four hours it ran.... note to all don't cheap out on the oil filter.. i put good oil and a cheap filter on mine in the "break-in" period.. well it broke..... pulled it back out took to back to the builder... the crank broke cracking the block and eating two pistions and rods along with the cam.... all due to a cheap oil filter which had collapsed on the inside... which made it bypass and starve the front of the motor of oil.... and the oil pressure port is part of the bypass circuit.. so of course the builder says no warranty because he was not responsible for the oil filter collaps.. as far as the oil filter company goes still waiting for a response mean time got another block and started from scratch again.. more money and time....

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 20 Oct 2010 13:25 #15

• guitarjeff
Hi I just bought a 1977 bayliner saratoga 2550, and pretty excited about it, good to see other people out there with a similar boat, I am kind of curious of other owners with similar boats and if this question seems odd or not?

Mine has a Volvo Penta 225, which i believe is a 307 motor, I cannot get it too go much faster than 15 mph or plane out, I know the prop is slightly damaged, and i dont know what size, even with only 2 people it seems like it should go faster? the rpms are at about 5000 for that speed, I picked up a 15X 17 prop, and was curious if that and maybe a Hydrofoil stabilizer would help out much with this issue? also how fast are similar boats going? any input would be much appreciated!

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 02 Feb 2011 06:46 #16

• bradner
that sucks was it a fram filter?

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 07 Jan 2015 05:21 #17

• dillmargy
Greeting all, I just purchased a 1974 Saratoga Command Bridge ( at least that is what i think it is)
Its been sitting for quite some time. the previous owner was trying to restore it , but sadly time got the better of him.
It has no motors and the transom has been sealed so im thinking a pod, outboards and swimdeck will do the trick.
If some one has a similar model i'd love to see pics of the helm & kitchenette as i have no idea what they originally look like
Im pretty excited, and am aiming to have it on the water Oct 2015

This message has an attachment image.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 24 Jun 2015 03:10 #18

• Alumbaugh
I have a '77 Saratoga Express 2550. I am needing a replacement bracket for a fold away seat. Can't seem to find it. Anyone have one to sell or know where to get one? It is mounted on the underside of the seat ( two of them) and aluminum tubes go over the tip and set the seat height/hold up the seat.

This message has an attachment image.

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 04 Dec 2016 18:09 #19

• 80Penta225D
  • Thank you received: 2
I have an '80 Saratoga 2550 Command Bridge: Volvo Penta 225D (Chevy 350) with Volvo 280 outdrive. She was stored in a garage so she's structurally sound and in remarkable shape. Runs great!

Needs a "technology update" from the 80s navigation electronics. Still has the original head, a Brydon 59128 (needs replacement)!

The salon starboard side was modified to fold out into a bunk bed, so I'm going to return it to the original 'table with bench seats' layout. The original flybridge bench seat was replaced with two captain chairs that are pretty fried. The cushion right behind them, and the cushion that covers the fish hold on the aft deck are in a little better shape, but the foam has compressed. I'm going back to the bench layout on the flybridge and I'll redo both those cushions. A new full enclosure is on the list, too.

Between the internet, the BOC, and an 'all original' 79 Saratoga 2550 CB rotting away in the forest about 50 miles away, I pretty much know what this boat looked like when brand new. Would love to see more photos, if anyone has any of the 2550 CB model. See the link to my photos in my signature. My goal is 'back to original' -- including an upholstery pallet that is based on "burnt orange"!

Shelly
Willamette Valley, Oregon
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever)
www.flickr.com/gp/93076243@N07/esPXUY

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB
rotting away in the woods (yours for $5k):
www.flickrbu.com/gp/93076243@N07/856u6h ...

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 22 Apr 2017 03:30 #20

• Pastor Rich
I just Bought a 1980 Saratoga and love her! She needs some work and I was hoping someone here Could help be find replacement parts? I need new to me, in good condition, seating on the sun deck. I need a 32 inch wide back-to-back and then the seating pad that should go just to the left of the helm, and the seat/compartment cover on the stern.I am also looking for a Camp Cover. I am sure the will be more but those are the most pressing. Really Glad to be a Bayliner Owner!!!

1977 Bayliner Saratoga owners 22 Apr 2017 15:02 #21

• Thebackyard253
I have a '77 Saratoga 2550 project that I am working on. I am slowly tearing it down and redoing everything. Eventually I will gather all of the pictures and make an independent thread about everything that I am doing.

Also, I just found another one for sale about a mile away from me. I may pick it up just because he doesn't really want anything for it. I dont know why I would do this except that my wife is running out of things to complain to me about and I thought I might give her one. B)

1977 Saratoga 2550 "project"
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds