Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2859 Owners

2859 Owners 21 Sep 2017 02:00 #576

• sketch96
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
  • Thank you received: 20
Doesnt feel like it. Im 240 and there is no flex or anything that i can see or feel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS, jongleur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC

2859 Owners 21 Sep 2017 03:12 #577

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
Breif update on my engine issue:
Went down to the marina tonight to add another pole holder and set up some more gear. Neighbor was just pulling in and had gotten 4 silvers in less than an hour, so I abandoned the gear set up to head out and catch the bite.
Well, that was a no-go. cranked and cranked and cranked. Nuthin....Ok, ...thought I'd flooded it so let it sit while I mounted the rod holder and tried it again. Nuthin.
Removed the air cleaner and noticed lots of whispy smoke curling up in the barrels of the carb, and a bit of oily residue - might be time to replace PCV valves too. But other than that, visual inspection showed nothing odd. Then I looked at the wiring, just doing a general look see. The Coil wire came off the coil really easy, and there was quite a bit of oil dripping off the wire terminal. Lots of corrosion around the outside of the coil also.
I pulled the coil off, and will replace it tomorrow - crossing my fingers that this was it.....really hoping its not a broken valve spring (the periodic nature of it makes me think it isn't. Its been a long while since I've bought coils - assuming that there is no reason to get anything other than a stock Merc.
).

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

97 2859
Last Edit: by JThiessen.

2859 Owners 21 Sep 2017 15:43 #578

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 183
Good morning all, to KPS the cut out fish well was thick- heavy and yes you can employ a fig saw, I would shorten the blade a bit or put a plywood block under the shoe of the saw as spacer, take masking tape and cover the area to be sawed, keeps the gelcoat from chipping, magic marker works good to mark a line. To answer one other question, no the deck is not weaker just sooo much moor access to wiring shift cables and so on. Sketch good luck on your problem, just finest install of my wash down-- engine flush system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS, jongleur

Old Glue

2859 Owners 23 Sep 2017 14:49 #579

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
JT, it could be a faulty coil issue but I'd say do a compression test on your engine, it's not difficult to do and will help eliminate any internal mechanical issues. All plugs removed throttle open. If the test shows good compression then move to other things like cap, rotor, wires or possible fuel issues like water in the fuel.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2859 Owners 23 Sep 2017 16:06 #580

• sketch96
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • The Doghouse
  • Thank you received: 20
Broken valve spring wont cause a no start issue. If the coil wire was off i would say thats your issue. The wispy vapor is just all the fuel you pumped into the motor trying to start it vaporizing. Not abnormal. Im betting you could put the wire back on your original coil and go but preventive maintenance says to replace it if you are seeing lots of corrosion. Probably time for a good tune up at the same time. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel/air filters, check timing, all belts and fluid levels and now that its fall time to dump the oil and replace with fresh. Another thing i see lots of in automotive world that no one really pays attention to is to make sure all your grounds are clean and making good contact not just at the battery terminal but at the block or ground plate. Where ever yours go to.

Be ready for spring!

Doug
1995 7.4l 2859 Bravo ll
The Doghouse
Prince George BC
Last Edit: by sketch96.

2859 Owners 24 Sep 2017 04:42 #581

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1
Saved 18 lbs today by removing starboard fish box. Was thinking it would weigh more, but I am happy losing 18lbs and gaining twice the storage area.

This also allows me to put water heater forward in the starboard side, and then I'll put batteries all the way forward where that water heater was on the port side.

I'd say it took 1.5 hours to do using a jig saw and multi tool. Used tape and ruler line to make it as level as possible. Note, go no shallower than I did if you cut out yours. On stern end fiberglass goes down further than you think. Could not have done it without multi tool.

2859 Owners 24 Sep 2017 16:36 #582

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good job, I cheated with an Snap on air saw, the weight of the fish box can change depending on the chopper operator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPS

Old Glue

2859 Owners 25 Sep 2017 03:11 #583

• JThiessen

builderdude wrote: JT, it could be a faulty coil issue but I'd say do a compression test on your engine, it's not difficult to do and will help eliminate any internal mechanical issues. All plugs removed throttle open. If the test shows good compression then move to other things like cap, rotor, wires or possible fuel issues like water in the fuel.

Agreed on the compression test - gotta do it.

After replacing the coil and coil wire, it runs better, but there's still a stumble in it. I know I gapped the plugs .010 over (should be .035 - I went .045) so I'll fix that and see what it it's like.
I've also found that I'm having some difficulty holding a constant RPM while trolling (my kind kickers steering pump went out). Would be really nice to have a fine throttle control system - like an adjustment screw that you could turn to set it.....
Got a lot of fishing left to do - another few weeks for silvers, then pinks, then winter blackmouth. Gotta get another freezer too.....

97 2859

2859 Owners 25 Sep 2017 22:36 #584

• fishaman
  • Thank you received: 24
It's probably too late for pinks, but coho fishing is on fire right now in front of Edmonds, we got our limit (4) yesterday, plus 2 wild ones that we had to throw back.
Usually when I have problems with kicker steering (like, when I once dropped my EZSteer rod in the drink) I just tighten the nut on the kicker to fix it in a position to push the boat straight forward, then use the big Bravo II leg as a rudder. Works great when the weather cooperates.

Alex
1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD
Last Edit: by fishaman.

2859 Owners 25 Sep 2017 22:54 #585

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

fishaman wrote: It's probably too late for pinks, but coho fishing is on fire right now in front of Edmonds, we got our limit (4) yesterday, plus 2 wild ones that we had to throw back.
Usually when I have problems with kicker steering (like, when I once dropped my EZSteer rod in the drink) I just tighten the nut on the kicker to fix it in a position to push the boat straight forward, then use the big Bravo II leg as a rudder. Works great when the weather cooperates.

Did great on coho 2 weeks ago but they left me alone this weekend :( cant complain though, it was a fantastic weekend to be out on puget sound.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2859 Owners 26 Sep 2017 03:44 #586

• JThiessen

fishaman wrote: It's probably too late for pinks, but coho fishing is on fire right now in front of Edmonds, we got our limit (4) yesterday, plus 2 wild ones that we had to throw back.

I'm moored in Edmonds - yes - the Coho have been pretty good this year. Its really been a morning fishery so far - hopefully the rain will come and pick it up for the evenings - got two tonight -same for last week after the rain.

97 2859

2859 Owners 26 Sep 2017 23:21 #587

• philipwith1l
  • 2000 2859
  • Thank you received: 8
[/color][/b]It is hard to part with a 2859 especially after having it for 17 years. The best boat I ever owned and still going strong. Will miss "La Dolce Vita", but it went to a good owner who will take good care of her. By the way, it would do 29 at 3900rpm, but only had it there once. Most of our 2800 miles of cruising were done at around 2000rpm at about 8knts.

2859 Owners 27 Sep 2017 16:01 #588

• jongleur
  • Thank you received: 3
Pretty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philipwith1l

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.

2859 Owners 29 Sep 2017 02:39 #589

• KPS

2000 rpm and 8kts might be pretty low economy according to my graphs. Why did you choose that speed/rpm? I think I may have seen this boat on Craigslist this summer.

This message has an attachment image.

Last Edit: by KPS.

2859 Owners 29 Sep 2017 22:17 #590

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Try to move some weight forward it will help to get on plane, at slow running 1800 felled the best.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 03 Oct 2017 21:04 #591

• philipwith1l
  • 2000 2859
  • Thank you received: 8
I had a 454 TBI, and I believe the fuel burn chart looks different for this engine.

2859 Owners 04 Oct 2017 02:07 #592

• thundercat
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all,
New owner of a 2859 and so far it is an amazing boat !
Seeing how the hull has a rocker does anyone with a straight bunk trailer have any tips on how to set it up ?
Right now she is resting with weight roughly where the helm seating is and transom is not touching bunk.
Don't know if making wedge shaped bunk inserts and securing to bunks to make boat sit more nose up is going to be required???

2859 Owners 04 Oct 2017 13:38 #593

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice looking boat, my boat sits on bunks, home build trailer with a big bow to the bunks.

This message has an attachment image.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 04 Oct 2017 15:37 #594

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

thundercat wrote: Hey all,
Seeing how the hull has a rocker does anyone with a straight bunk trailer have any tips on how to set it up ?
Right now she is resting with weight roughly where the helm seating is and transom is not touching bunk.
Don't know if making wedge shaped bunk inserts and securing to bunks to make boat sit more nose up is going to be required???

The hull bottom at the transom should sit firmly on the bunks with a few inches of bunk extending behind the transom. Adding a wedge would work or you may be able to adjust the bow stop highth and bunks to get it there.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2859 Owners 04 Oct 2017 20:28 #595

• aknurse
  • Thank you received: 11

thundercat wrote: Hey all,

Seeing a photo of how the bow sits on the bunks and the stern would help. Mine sits transom flush on the bunk. There is actually a notch in the bunk where the thru hull transducer rests. This was done by previous owner.

"REEL WILD"
2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
Anchorage, Alaska
If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

2859 Owners 05 Oct 2017 22:21 #596

• KPS
I am pretty sure every trailer is going to be different.

I bought mine new when I purchased the boat and have ended up pretty close to target with it setup here.

Initially I have had the bow pull back from the stop 4-5 inches when pulling boat out of the water, but after some adjustments it is not only about an inch off the bowstop when I pull it out. A slow (3-4mph) break check and a crank get me the last inch. I have heard it is because the stern is floating when the bow cinches up. Part of the fix is that I am not putting the boat in as deep as I used to.

2859 Owners 05 Oct 2017 22:32 #597

• aknurse
  • Thank you received: 11

KPS wrote: I am pretty sure every trailer is going to be different.

I bought mine new when I purchased the boat and have ended up pretty close to target with it setup here.

Initially I have had the bow pull back from the stop 4-5 inches when pulling boat out of the water, but after some adjustments it is not only about an inch off the bowstop when I pull it out. A slow (3-4mph) break check and a crank get me the last inch. I have heard it is because the stern is floating when the bow cinches up. Part of the fix is that I am not putting the boat in as deep as I used to.

I have the same trailer and have to do the brake check maneuver too. I'll have her wound up nice and tight with the winch before I drive up the ramp and then there is always a couple of inch gap when I get to the top.

"REEL WILD"
2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
Anchorage, Alaska
If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

2859 Owners 05 Oct 2017 22:47 #598

• KPS
If I ever have time, I'd like to see what happens if I raise the back of the bunks up a notch. It "should" help keep the back from settling down so much when pulling the boat out, and hopefully keep the bow in place.

I'll put it on my list..... Its a long list though.

2859 Owners 06 Oct 2017 03:59 #599

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

KPS wrote: I'll put it on my list..... Its a long list though.

My list grows longer not shorter. I check 2-3 things off the list and 5-6 new things get added :lol: :huh:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2859 Owners 06 Oct 2017 14:30 #600

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes check lists are great but one needs to fallow them?

Old Glue
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds