Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2859 Owners

2859 Owners 09 Mar 2014 22:26 #101

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9
Flemming the hip is doing real good, have some stiffness but walking a bunch and that helps. The best economy is a combination of speed and water conditions, but the mid 20's is normally the best speed. My flow meter is in the Volvo ENC and is really nice. If I did not have it built in I would for sure add it. Flowscan makes a good one, but they are a little complicated to install as you have to put monitors on both the supply and return fuel lines. Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

2859 Owners 10 Mar 2014 15:11 #102

• skeeter3
  • skeeter3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Dan; :) It's good to hear the hip is doing good just keep exercising and limbered up, splash time is getting closer every day. When do you normally splash?
Flemming; It would sure be nice to see your boat in person but really like the pictures. How far do you have to go to splash? I will be on my boat the 10th of May and have a ton of work to do, I am painting the bottom this year and doing a bunch of little convenience stuff. I am really getting excited for Fritzman to get up to Ketchikan. I may be driving down the Alcan this Oct. so maybe we can have a coffee, I will try and keep you posted.
Skeeter B)

1994 2859 Bayliner Cierra Classic
7.4 Cu In 454 , 400HP New 2013:smileflag
New Bravo 3 outdrive 2011
My summer condo:D

2859 Owners 10 Mar 2014 18:21 #103

• icewaker
  • Thank you received: 15
Skeeter, First splash is in Kitimat 650 miles away about Apr. 20th, then refit and put in at Williston Lk. for the summer, about 100 miles. The boat is then back in the yard beginning of Oct. Coffee sounds good, look forward to having a jaw session if it works out. Same goes for Fritz if they are going to take the Alcan. Flemming

1994 2859, volvo kad 42 230hp Dawson CK. BC

2859 Owners 11 Mar 2014 01:46 #104

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Away
I hope to be able to splash by the middle to end of April, depending on how fast the guy gets the new bottom paint on. Sandblast, 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of bottom paint. I have needed to get this done for 2 years and finally said it is a must this year. Dan

2859 Owners 11 Mar 2014 14:53 #105

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 184
Good morning all, yes Skeeter and Flemming I am getting fired up still finishing some projects now that the temp is up a bit. Flemming I travel up to Calgary and north to Hyw. 16 then to Prince Rupert from that point on the water to Ketchikan to visit Skeeter. :P

Old Glue

2859 Owners 20 Mar 2014 17:39 #106

• icewaker
Fritz, how are you coming with your hull extension pictures? I look forward to seeing them. Do you think it changed how your boat turns while on step? Flemming

2859 Owners 21 Mar 2014 21:04 #107

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi all and to answer some questions, sorry that I am slow but at times other things get in the way of fun projects, IO will get it posted soon. To answer the turn question no problem, I gathered information and advice for probably three or more years, one thing was to have a small 45dg slant on the inside bottom edges that takes care of the turning resistance. Now a question for you Icewalker that Kad Volvo you have installed, performance, power out put give us an insight to the project. I have been drooling over Diesels for a long time, even went out during the Boat Show to look at Arthurs 6.5 install nice job.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 22 Mar 2014 22:09 #108

• icewaker
Fritz, I didn't install the KAD42 myself. A boat shop in Vancouver BC did the job, I bought the boat sight unseen just after they got it in there using used but low hr. components. Going from merc to volvo they didn't need to redo the transom but you do need the complete package, controls, dash, wiring, leg, etc. Most shops when they repower these diesels they change everything so there are getting to be good used or rebuilt units around. There are even getting to be some D4s on the market, thats what Alaska Spirit has. This is better, 30 more horses, 2 Less cylinders (less weight) taking up less room and you get the newer style leg. Either one will use 1/2 the fuel compared to gas when on step so you get twice the range but at idle 4 MPH is to fast for fishing, for that we use the kicker. I have seen a picture of a 315 HP yanmar installed in one of these boats looks to be about the same size as the KAD42 at 230 HP so theres an option. They are less expensive to buy new and will marry merc. I have been afraid to ask Dan what it cost him to change over. Maybe he will step in here and spill the beans. The Kid

Last Edit: by icewaker.

2859 Owners 23 Mar 2014 04:07 #109

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Away
Okay I will step in, spill the beans. Now remember I was in Ketchikan and had lost the Merc Cummins twice on this trip, so as to say I was between a rock and a hard place. The D4 and DPH out drive was 26k which was 3k less than the Merc Cummins only, no out drive . There was install on top of this price and they treated me very well on that. I know I will never get my money out of it, but the difference I the boat now is the difference of day and night. Really like the boat. Dan

Forgot to add that the D4 was over 200lb lighter than the Mer Cummins and took up a lot less space.

Last Edit: by Alaskan Spirit.

2859 Owners 23 Mar 2014 15:29 #110

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
:( You guys are making me really jealous talking about the diesel engines, I had to repower last year and was thinking about putting in a diesel but the cost difference was to much for me. I figured I could buy lots of gas with that money, but I did go with a bigger gas engine, it's a bored out and re built 454 to 350hp and a lot more toruqe so it gets me on step a lot quicker and I cruise at 20kts with full load turning 3400 so my fuel consumption is less.
I also done some up grades and additions with the extra money. :)
But I can't hardly wait to see one of you guys boat with the diesel. ;)
Keep posting your good information on these great 2859 boats.
Thanks
Skeeter B)

2859 Owners 23 Mar 2014 18:01 #111

• icewaker
Dan, I would say they treated you well. There must have been a lot of value in your trade in because I investigated installing that in my last boat. I still have the printout, package price in 2007 was $37,004 Vancouver BC. A local fellow with a 2858 had one installed a couple of years ago, from what I understand it cost him $50,000. Yes I would say you did well. Do you have this kind of luck while fishing as well? I do think that when you are ready to sell that boat you can probably ask an extra $20,000 and have it sold over night. Skeeter I don't know that I'll be bringing my boat to Alaska anytime soon but I do look forward to buying you that coffee or cold one on your way throw. I really believe the 289 is the most practical boat for us seniors specially in the north, they just need some modifications. Long live The 289ers and there boats. The Kid

2859 Owners 23 Mar 2014 23:52 #112

• Alansmoak
  • Thank you received: 0
Do any of you guys run Autopilots and if so what kind do you recommend for the 289

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 00:12 #113

• Alansmoak
I am in SC and am having a blast remodeling my 2859 also. After having several of the large motor yachts and all the hassles including windy docking with a 105 lb first mate even with twins and a bow thruster was no fun. I always like this boats design and what it offers in a small package so I bought one and I completely removed the dinette, rear bed room wall and door. Move my ac unit over to the port hatch under the forward bunk and placed the ref in the old A/C hole, did some reducting for the air supply. Now i have huge open flat floor "den' in which I put in two small leather swivel recliners and took the large table that was there, cut it down to a smaller triangle. Then I mounted a 24" flat screen on the wall above the cut out for the rear bedroom along with a valance and a curtain to close of the rear bed which we (only 2 of us ) use it for storage also. Now moving on the the pilot house. Questions who did you get the Lenmar hatches from. They are pricey! Never thought of moving the power plugs but I will now. Good idea! Do you have an autopilot if so what kind and do you like it

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 01:18 #114

• icewaker
Alansmoak, Welcome aboard the 289, they are a great boat. No auto pilot. They do have a lot of possibilities. I would love to see some pictures of what you've done. Guess I'm no longer the kid in the group. Flemming... What year is yours?

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 03:54 #115

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Away
Ice there was no trade in on my old motor, it was junk, in fact they strapped it to a pallet and I had to barge it south with the boat. They would have had to pay to get rid of it. Yes they treated me very good on the package and install. Dan

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 13:33 #116

• Alansmoak
Icewalker,
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to enjoy it. Mine is an 06, just bought it in December, haven't even run it yet, other than cranking for survey. Mine has a small block with 300 hp, and that concerns me a little but I have taken a good bit of weight out of it and there will only be two of us both pretty light cruising in it. I under stood in some research that the boat has a history of being stern heavy so maybe the small block helps in that regard. I had to buy a trailer so i could bring it home and put it in my shed each winter and do mods on it. Also i have a Raymarine C80 chart plotter and want to add a Radar antenna to it. It will only work with an analog versus the newer unit's will use digital and i was wondering if it is worth the extra expense to go with a newer digital plotter and radar?? Any of you guys have any advice on that?? I have a little experience with fiberglass and am in the process of building a box like I once did on a trawler that will hold my pilot's seat while underneath it will house a 3.o refrg. and an ice maker beside it. It will come out the the rear of the pilot house floor and will have a sink molded in the top. Sounds like a lot but i have measure it all out and it will fit. I will figure out today how to post pic's of what I have done so far.Sounds like you guys really enjoy yours.

Alan

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 13:41 #117

• chickenof the sea
Yes, I installed a raymarine autopilot about 4 years ago and it saved my marriage. . I don't think they make the electric steering ram any longer so that might be a problem for you. My understanding is they market was not good enough to continue production. You might find new old stock or a used unit somewhere. I love mine and would hate to be without it.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1994 2859, 7.4 B2 "Take Um"

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 13:52 #118

• chickenof the sea
Here is a better shot of the ram that moves the drive.

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 13:52 #119

• chickenof the sea
Here is a better shot of the ram that moves the drive.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 13:55 #120

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
:) Alansmoak, Welcome aboard to BOC and the 2859er's club.
Sounds like you have done a lot up remodeling to your interior and would like to see some pictures of it, although I am happy with the original layout.
But pictures gets my thoughts to working. :)
I have done some upgrades to my interior but no modifications.
Skeeter B)

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 14:05 #121

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
:) Chickenof the sea Welcome aboard to BOC and the 2859ers club.
I have been thinking about getting a autopilot,also.
Where the ram is connected, is that piece special built or did it come with the unit, and was there any special modifications to attach it?
Thanks for the pictures they really help.
Thanks
Skeeter B)

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 14:20 #122

• Alansmoak
Skeeter,
Thanks for the welcome, I hope I can add some help to some of your guys

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 15:58 #123

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
First of welcome to the new member of the 2859 followers that we have giving us additional projects to think about. Flemming thanks for the Diesel info, that’s a plan for next year, so all the questions on my part $$$ have a big input in to the deciding factor, the 50,000 for a new Volvo is just too steep for my liking, so perhaps a rebuild unit? On the other hand I can get a new Penisular 6.5 same as Arthur installed in his 2859, for 18,000 and keep my drive, it is a bolt in job. This gives me lots of debating in my mind. For this season I am concentrating for my trip to Ketchikan and time visiting with Skeeter, with thing to finish for that trip. Fritz

Old Glue

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 16:48 #124

• icewaker
Fritz, A person needs something new to look forward to every year we don't want the boat to become boring. Did Skeeter give you a cost to ferry your truck and boat from Rupert to Ketchikan. Flemming

2859 Owners 24 Mar 2014 16:57 #125

• chickenof the sea
They did not have a kit for power assist steering so I had to go out and buy all of the pieces. The control head or computer, the rudder control sensor, electric compass and steering ram. I think I got them all from EBay as new old stock. I will look to see if I have for install instructions and put them up so you can see how it is done. No major mods it is basically a bolt on connect and power up. The ram clamps on to the steering cable hardware and pins to the drive. You have to mount the rudder sensor and the connecting pin and that is a piece of cake. I will send a few more close up photos this eve. I think I have about 1200.00 in the system and I use it all of the time mostly trolling or driving to a waypoint in the fog.

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds