Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3258 Avanti Owners

3258 Avanti Owners 16 Jan 2014 02:48 #1

• Baylinermike89
  • Baylinermike89's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Didn't see a 3258 thread. Not sure how many members have them. Figured I would start one!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-2004 305 Bayliner Ciera
Twin Mercruiser 5.7 B2's

3258 Avanti Owners 28 Jan 2014 05:57 #2

• Pemby
  • Thank you received: 0
Dale, Skagway Alaska
2000 Bayliner 3258
5.7L Mercruisers
Bravo II Outdrives

Dale
Skagway, Alaska
2000 3258
5.7L Bravo II

3258 Avanti Owners 01 Jun 2014 05:39 #3

• MarlinTime
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi there
New to the group and wanted to share my 1995 3258.
I have owned it since 2005 and love the boat.
Just need to use it more!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: riverguy42

3258 Avanti Owners 30 Mar 2015 01:24 #4

• slimjim
Kind of a dead thread, but add me to the list of 3258 owners. Bought her last fall and getting her back into shape. I love the versatility if this model. Moved up from a 2655.

2001 Bayliner 3258 Ciara
Seadation
Severn River

3258 Avanti Owners 12 Aug 2017 05:17 #5

• Rocky57
  • Took the plunge...
I'm hoping we can resurrect the thread as I'm taking delivery of my new (to me) 1995 3258 Avanti on Arizona's Lake Powell Aug 15th and need a lot of insight into the systems. First time I've owned anything of this size and bought it with thoughts of the wife and I taking it on the Great Loop in a couple of years when the last munchkin is finally off to college. I absolutely love not only the contemporary look of the boat, but also its expansive, roomy, bright salon and the privacy of it's 2 cabins - all in a package that can be trailered (albeit, with a BIG truck). Had it surveyed and everything appears to be in order. It's running 7.4L GenV Mercruisers with Bravo III outdrives. Engines have about 210 hours and Quicksilver 5.0kW generator has 240 hours. Boat also has a tri-axle trailer and is stored out of the water. Previous owner didn't skimp on the maintenance and same mechanics at the Wahweap Marina have been taking care of whatever needed servicing for the past 12 years. Going to spend the next couple of years learning the boat and it's systems and making a few updates preparatory to taking a lap around the Eastern US. First thing I'm going to need is advice on the engine hatch struts. Current ones are shot and looking for recommendations on replacements (and expecting that I can do it myself). Very much appreciate the ability to pick everyone's brain here and wanted to compliment you all on making an outstanding choice to fulfill your boating desires!

1995 3258 Avanti (new to me!)
LakePowell &Tempe, AZ

3258 Avanti Owners 12 Aug 2017 05:43 #6

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
There should be a part number tag that will show the force, throw and length of the ram. No real mystery to them, www.seastarsolutions.com/products/engine-and-drive-parts/ has a whole line. When I was installing rams on my previous boat, I used a luggage scale to measure the force it took to raise the hatch at the lift button. I think it was around 25 pounds. Not the weight of the hatch, the vertical force I was using to open it. Since the rams were being mounted less than half way from the hinge to the button, I started with a pair of 45# rams. They were a bit too much and the hatch would pop up a little fast, so I cut back to 30's and got a reasonable assist. Point is, if you don't get the right assist, it's easy to change up or down.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

3258 Avanti Owners 13 Aug 2017 08:55 #7

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
First, welcome to the BOC!B) I sure hope you plan to explore Lake Powell with that boat before the Loop. A friend had a 3258, he needed help finding the air cond. strainer. It's buried under the aft cabin mattress! The big blocks are rare on that boat, bet she really scoots. Enjoy!

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

3258 Avanti Owners 27 Aug 2017 07:29 #8

• Rocky57
  • Took the plunge...
Thanks for the info on the struts Pcpete and she does indeed get with the program Jeff! Just got back from a few days on Lake Powell with the previous owner and my head is spinning! Couple of things I wanted to solicit your advice on...
1. I was advised by the previous owner not to run the generator while we were underway (I wanted to run the AC while we were underway.) He thought the Generator cooling water inlet would potentially be out of the water and it would damage the Gen. I don't think that's a concern, wanted to get your experience with running Gens and AC while underway.
2. After we gassed up, there was a significant amount of gas smell in the salon. He thought it was related to the expansion of the gas in the tanks due to the heat (it was 100F). I'm thinking the gas tank vents should take care of the expansion. After we were underway for awhile, the smell went away, but wanted to get your read on what might be causing the smell of gas in the salon. (Surveyor didn't find anything leaking in the gas system).
3. Only the starboard engine had a belt attached to the power steering pulley. Port engine had a power steering pump and pulley, but no belt powering it. Says this is normal. Any ideas?

Again, thanks for the help and insight.

1995 3258 Avanti (new to me!)
LakePowell &Tempe, AZ

3258 Avanti Owners 27 Aug 2017 08:56 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
1. Probably good advice. However, if you do run the AC at planning speed and the AC pump can't get water, the system should shut down with a fault warning. Less than 10 mph, no problem (like going through the Narrows...) My personal opinion/preference: I only use the air when stopped for the night, and if I can get by with just a fan, I will. Less things to go wrong.

2. DANGER! Gas fumes are NEVER good or OK, investigate. Keep the cabin door closed when fueling, note any difference. Keep engine compartment hatches open, check for fumes. You need to solve this ASAP.

3. My best guess is that it's a backup if the other side fails.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

3258 Avanti Owners 27 Aug 2017 14:00 #10

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Before you bought the boat you should have had the tank / tanks pressure tested.

Pressure test the tanks now before you go out again.

I have to repeat this ... Have the tank or tanks pressure tested now if they don't hold air you must find the problem. Could be as simple as a hose clamp, maybe cracked under it.

Do you have a fume sniffer. You should.

I installed one like this on my last boat.

www.ebay.com/itm/Xintex-fume-detector-/2...AOSw7PtZk04Y&vxp=mtr

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rocky57

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

3258 Avanti Owners 10 Oct 2017 21:58 #11

• riverguy42
  • Thank you received: 10
We owned a 2000 3258 from 2008 through July of this year and absolutely loved her. Fantastic boat and nothing else like her for the size and price.

For any new owners -- if you have air conditioning, first thing I would do is re-route the AC condensate drain-pan hose (which drains into the bilge) into one of the unused ports on the shower sump. AC condensate dripping into the bilge WILL cause dry-rot, I had to cut the water-tank into pieces to get it out to replace the plywood under the tank. Then I installed a Plastimo flexible bladder tank to replace the original water tank, not a fun job.

Wish I had sussed this out when we bought her -- take my advice. Rerouting the condensate line is an easy job. Dealing with rotted plywood is a pain-in-the-a$$.

RiverGuy's Fleet:

2001 Bayliner 4788
2003 Mainship 390 (available for Charter)
2000 Bayliner 3258 (just sold!)
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds