Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2155 owners

2155 owners 19 Jan 2010 18:51 #26

• Erik719
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I recently purchased a 1987, 2155 Sunbridge. The boat needs some work but it runs and floats and for $1500 (including the trailer) I couldn't pass it up.

Starting some mild restoration projects. First off was pulling all the carpet and cushions. There are some leaks so everything was soaking wet, moldy and stank really bad! I pulled it all the day after I bought it.

Engine needs a tune up and from what I've read it looks like I will need to pull the outdrive and replace some parts there as well. Need to adjust the steering and shifter, replace the prop and zinc.

Just a few projects to keep me occupied over the winter. :D

I will try to post some pictures under the project section as things progress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2155 owners 21 Jan 2010 01:55 #27

• mudskipper
Nice to see another 21 Sunbridge owner. I have found (in my limited experience of 3 months on the water) that although small, this boat has lots to offer. Saw the pics of your boat in your album - any of the work currently underway? What is the drive on your boat? OMC or Merc? What is the engine? IMHO for $1500 including a trailer I don't think you could go wrong.

Good luck

2155 owners 21 Jan 2010 09:42 #28

• Erik719
Well so far all I've done is pull out all the old carpet and winterize it. I went out last weekend (had a break in the weather) and measured for the new carpet. I figure about 77 square feet. Does that sound about right?

I pulled the "reefer" to see how it was powered and discovered that it is really just a cooler. :( I've been looking for a powered replacement, but they are big $$$. Maybe I can find one of those 12V coolers that will fit in the space.

I think my plan of attack will be two pronged. One aesthetic (i.e. new carpet below) and one mechanical (i.e. tune up and outdrive). I've got some leaks to contend with before I put the new carpet in, but thanks to this site I know what to fix. Have to pull the rub rail and re-seal all of that and then re-seat the windows on the sides. I think that will cure the leaking.

Not sure which outdrive it has (guess that's bad) but it does have the 5.0L Mercruiser engine.

I figured at $1500 if thing completely died on me I could call one of those charity organizations that take boats and cars and write the loss off on my taxes. The blue book is $3200-3600, so I would come out OK.

2155 owners 21 Jan 2010 10:37 #29

• mudskipper
Before you spend money on refrigeration, something which I was considering initially, you may want to consider what your primary use of the boat is going to be. I too was considering the powered cooler idea, and may still do that, but I found that for our overnights, and weekends on the boat (usually Friday afternoons- Sunday noon) the icebox was not a bad item. A couple of bags of ice kept everything cool enough for the time aboard and also gave us portable refrigeration to put in our beverages once happy hour arrived. Powered refrigeration would be a must for longer periods aboard, or for storing stuff unattended, but it has 2 drawbacks from my view- power requirements and weight - I've got 1 main and 1 "house" battery, the latter being a deep cycle to power. For stays in excess of 24 hours with no outside power, say on the hook or something, I think refrigeration may over tax this limited reserve. Any additional batteries, generation equipment, etc. are pretty large weight considerations for a 22 foot boat, and I have found that our time stationary is a fraction of our time under way so fuel to push any extra weight is a concern - I don't even fill the fuel tank if I'm not going to need it.
Cannot visualize the carpet required for below, but your calculations/measurements sound good. I am fortunate in that the PO of my boat seemed to keep leaks at bay. The upholstery and floor below deck are dry, but well used, and my intentions are to replace it if I decide to keep the boat another year past this one - I find it hard in the off season to visualize myself aboard my current float - I have NO problem visualizing myself aboard something larger though.....
Keep me posted
Cheers

2155 owners 22 Jan 2010 13:36 #30

• Erik719
That's good advice re: the ice box. I'll use it a few times and see how it works before I consider replacing it.

Sounds like you have a very similar battery set-up to mine. I have a smaller cranking battery and a larger deep cell house battery; I haven't checked out the specs on them yet. Both were replaced by the PO recently because he was having charging problems. The second day I had the boat I was checking out the engine and found about 2 inches of slack in the alternator belt. Charging problem fixed and I got two new batteries! :D

I use Optima batteries in my off road vehicles, do many people use those in marine applications? Expensive to purchase but they last quite a while; going on 10 years in the Jeep.

2155 owners 17 May 2010 21:23 #31

• JR1396
Hello all, I am new on this list, I bought an '89 2150 recently. It is in fantastic shape and I am the second owner. It has the 5.8 litre engine cobra.
I have been doing small updates to it and am really excited to get it in the water this year.
The reason I typed 2150/55 is that the decal on the boat says 2150 sunbridge, the title says 2155... so.. I got all new decals and pinstriping for the boat and actually bought the replacement sunbridge decal that says 2155 because they didnt have a 2150 available... is it that big a difference?
I will post some pics soon as it stops raining here in Pa.. anyway hello all!

JR

2155 owners 21 Jun 2010 18:44 #32

• Talon
I would be very interested to find out where you for your 2155 stickers, I'd like to get some for mine.

1989 2155 Ciera Sunbridge, 1989 5.8 L OMC with 1994 OMC Cobra SX Outdrive and 1998 Volvo SX Trim Cylinders and pivot housing.
http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11166

2155 owners 26 Jun 2010 19:30 #33

• JR1396
Hey there! Sent you a message..
anyway www.vinylapproach.com
will make anything you want. Found these guys after I ordered a set elsewhere that when I got, werent as close as to the original as I would like.. the coloring was weird, plus a little thin.
So, I bought a set here, they made them to my order based on the 2455 ones on their site. I stuck with 2155 :) as my title says so.

Attached files [url=http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/attachments/vb/471249=11150-IMG00032-20100608-1612[1].jpg]

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/url]

2155 owners 07 Jul 2010 04:16 #34

• eute

2qwk;228991 wrote: Yes it is correct. Mine is a 1989, not sure if the 87 is the same. I have to drains on each side of the rear. There are two holes under the engine cover and they bail out on each side of the transom. Then there is one on the step right before you enter the cabin which bails out the sb side of the boat.

Self bailing means- all the water on the decks drain out threw holes before the water goes into the bilge.

example- if I run a hose on the outside deck anywhere. I can leave it on all day and never get any water in the bilge.

Randy

I am new to this forum i just bought a 89 2155 sunbridge motor sounds strong but she has a few issues.
How do you get water out of the cabin area? i see no drains but i have alot of water in there carpet is soaked

1989 2155 Ciera 5.8L
1978 Winner Wildcat II 3.7L
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/bloodeute/boat/

2155 owners 09 Jul 2010 15:28 #35

• Erik719

eute;474897 wrote: I am new to this forum i just bought a 89 2155 sunbridge motor sounds strong but she has a few issues.
How do you get water out of the cabin area? i see no drains but i have alot of water in there carpet is soaked

I'd check a couple of things; you can find ways to fix all this by searching the other forums.
  1. Check for leaks around the forward hatch
  2. Check for leaks around the side windows.
  3. Check for leaks thruough the rub-rail.

I had leaks at all of these places. No sense getting the water out if more is just going to come back in. :)

Look under the steps that go from the cabin up to the deck. You should see a small removable panel there (about 8" x 8"). There is a bilge behind this and your pump my be shot. If it is, water will accumulate and slosh back onto the floor of the cabin. This pump drains on the port side. The drain hose runs under the sink an out thru the hull. If this is disconnected from the thru-hull or clogged, you will have to remover the cooler to get to it.

Hope this helps.

2155 owners 10 Jul 2010 02:10 #36

• eute
omg thanks very much i been trying to figure that out for awhile now. i thought that grill under the steps went to the heater cuz i noticed today while trying to fix a overheat issue, that i had 2 hoses from the coolant system to the front of the boat, and i seen a switch on the sinks toe kick near the floor that said heat- low, med, high and i couldn't figure what the switch was for, thought why would they put the cook top switch near the floor? till today when i seen the 2 hose...lol

1989 2155 Ciera 5.8L
1978 Winner Wildcat II 3.7L
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/bloodeute/boat/

2155 owners 09 Sep 2010 04:55 #37

• JR1396
I just posted an album on my profile of pics we have taken over the course of the process of getting this one back on the water. If anyone is interested feel free to take a look!
I am really enjoying this boat and the new friends we are making along the way. Had some hard times with it, and am sure we will again, but its been worth it.

2155 owners 20 Sep 2010 02:10 #38

• JR1396
So is the gas tank on this boat 55 or 60 gal. ? I dont have any of the factory info on this boat, is there a plate I should look that might say?

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 04:19 #39

• jmduncan01
Hello fellow 2155 owners. I've now owned my 88 model for 12 years. Getting ready to repaint from the water line up. Attached some pictures of how she looks now, and the two finalists for the exterior paint design. I've attached the decal reproduction file I made off the original. I think I am going to "diecut" all of it. The orignal only had the 2155 cut out while the B and SUNBRIDGE were printed on a solid piece of clear. Recently have dropped in a new 3.0 140HP. Drive has been rebuilt...3 times with me due to the three ear clutch dog...worst part about the boat. And her gel is toast...hence the paint coming. Interior still looks new up and down. Berber carpet, updated the laminate, and redid the cushions around 9-10 years ago in "ultraleather" vinyl downstairs, and marine naugahyde vinyl on the sunbridge. Couldn't tell you on the gas tank size. Mine is a 3.0 anyway and probably different. You could call the Brunswick/US Marine phone number and get them to email you the owners manual. They used to be able to tell you stuff like original prop size, etc. Don't know if they still can. Been awhile since I have called them. Anyway...hope to see one of you on the lake next year.

Best Regards,
John M
Kentucky

Attached files

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/505396=12647-Sunbridge decal.jpg

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 20:11 #40

• JR1396
Hi John!
I am thinking I like the second paint job option best it would be unique and has a real sporty style, kinda makes it look less like a cruiser and more like a speed boat.. but both are good.
One thing I did that I feel really improved the look of my boat was remove the false cabin window decal. It makes the boat look bigger IMO.
Also painting the window frame black really makes a huge impact, I am so glad I took the time to do that. Just ideas, regardless your boat is and will be great looking on the water!

I will look into the manual info, thanks!

Attached files [url=http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/attachments/vb/505563=12656-misc%20058[1].jpg]

[/url]

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 20:48 #41

• outrider
Hi
Just got this boat a month ago and thought I would join the forum to see how popular this boat is out there. I am loving mine, easy to trailer, sleeps up to 4 people and moves pretty quick on the water!
I have the 5.8L engine, gets on plane quickly and reaches 45mph at 4400rpm. Can`t ask for much more. The previous owner mounted brackets on the center of the swim platform to tie down a cooler. He also made fishing rod holders and bumper holders and the front of the boat. The less you keep in the boat the better.
Here`s a pic.

Attached files

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/505576=12657-myboat 003.JPG

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 21:31 #42

• jmduncan01

JR1396;505563 wrote: Hi John!
I am thinking I like the second paint job option best it would be unique and has a real sporty style, kinda makes it look less like a cruiser and more like a speed boat.. but both are good.
One thing I did that I feel really improved the look of my boat was remove the false cabin window decal. It makes the boat look bigger IMO.
Also painting the window frame black really makes a huge impact, I am so glad I took the time to do that. Just ideas, regardless your boat is and will be great looking on the water!

I will look into the manual info, thanks!

Hi Jr:

I think we are going with the straight line....though I really like the swoosh. And I am torn about it. It would look real good out of the water, but sitting at the dock it might look like what I have attached. Recognize the pics? :D Gave you a radar arch too. Thinking about one I saw for sale...what it would look like. Confirmed my thought it would be too far back as the lower sundbridge is not long enough to make it look right. I did a quick and dirty illustration on what it might look like in the water with both designs. Your boat looks very nice. I like the backed out trim. I saw that and my mind started thinking about a tint on the glass too. But I'll likely leave it stock. You'll have to bring me up to speed on what you have applied on there, and how well its holding up. Speaking of your baby, she sits lower than mine by a few inches. I am wondering if that is just engine weight causing that with yours or you got something heavy over there.

On that black decal aka the fake window, I wish that were real. I have thought about taking a saw, getting some smoked lexan, and making it real. Doubt I'll get the courage to do it though. I replaced the originals and still have the application norton tape and tite-r-bond to affix them. Just need to find the guts to cut. I did cut a wider hatch when the original bomar cracked. Got one of the low profile extruded aluminum ones on there now.

One real addition I want with this renovation, a full width swim platform. Right now just got a step.

Best Regards,
John M
Kentucky

Attached files [url=http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/attachments/vb/505584=12659-IMG00004[1].jpg]

[/url] [url=http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/attachments/vb/505584=12660-IMG00004[2].jpg]

[/url]

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 21:32 #43

• JR1396
Hi there! Nice boat isnt it? This is my first year with mine and have been having a great time with it. I have the 5.8 too.. lol, any idea what the gas tank size is? cant seem to find a definitive on this.
This forum has been a great resource for info and inspiration, I am new here as well.. nice to have a contact place for other owners.
JR

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 21:39 #44

• outrider
I think they have 50 gallon tanks.
Can anyone tell me what prop they run?
I have a 15x17, is this optimal?

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 21:40 #45

• jmduncan01

outrider;505576 wrote: Hi
Just got this boat a month ago and thought I would join the forum to see how popular this boat is out there. I am loving mine, easy to trailer, sleeps up to 4 people and moves pretty quick on the water!
I have the 5.8L engine, gets on plane quickly and reaches 45mph at 4400rpm. Can`t ask for much more. The previous owner mounted brackets on the center of the swim platform to tie down a cooler. He also made fishing rod holders and bumper holders and the front of the boat. The less you keep in the boat the better.
Here`s a pic.

Its definitely a great size and easily towable. Yours looks well cared for, and very nice! Congrats!

Best Regards,
John M
Kentucky

2155 owners 26 Sep 2010 22:10 #46

• jmduncan01
Anyone need a spare?

89 model with a dual axle trailer for $2k in Cincy. Engine has knock.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/1968139438.html

Best Regards,
John M
Kentucky

2155 owners 27 Sep 2010 00:59 #47

• JR1396
Ha! Thats totally cool John! I see what you are saying with swoosh.. in the water its a little too much. I agree.
I do kinda like the look of the arch..was going to try to modify one from a larger boat but the measurements just werent right. So I gave up on that idea.

Ok heres the deal with my boat sitting deep in the water.. I took the kitchenette out and the balast is off right now.. so the boat has been leaning more to the starboard side. I am redoing the interior so this will be fixed.
When underway my trim tabs work well to correct this... or whoever is with me on the boat. But as it is now the port side sits higher.

I have one continuous swim deck across the back of mine. It is really nice to have esp. when snapping on the cockpit cover. The guy I bought the boat from found one off a parts boat and put it on.

On the window frames, I took a small wire wheel on my electric drill to the alum. There was a plastic coating of some sorts on there that had to be removed as well as alot of pitting. I then primed it with a good filler and primer and painted with Rustoleum's high performance enamel flat.
It has help up well, no scratches and you cant tell there ever was pitting on the frame and the bimini frame. On the bimini frame there are little scratches where it comes past the window from rubbing while underway. Not noticeable and will touch up before next spring.

If there actually was a second window that would look good I think, but because its a decal, I didnt understand the reasoning so I removed it and put my registration numbers up there.

I like what you have done with my boat!! lol! Maybe a paint job is in order for summer... hmm.. :)

Thanks Outrider, I put 21 gallons in it from empty then 24 in it the other day, the gage reads 3/4 but I did take it about 8 miles about 35 mph. so I am sure that used up some gas. 50 makes sense, but was wondering if it was 55 because I saw one for sale at a marina that said 55 gal. fuel capacity. I found that to be somewhat believable, thinking they would know.
I need to learn the mechanics of the varied props.. I am sure someone here knows.

2155 owners 27 Sep 2010 06:22 #48

• jmduncan01
Hey Jr:

I think would be just as easy to build an arch as to adapt one. Especially if you were painting anyway. It would certainly add to the boat in the way of lighting, speakers, and a real mounting postion for some accessories (sat tv, radar, gps). But I'd just want it for lights and speaker locations. Perhaps some sort of foam core overlayed with fiberglass mat. Minimal wood structure. Keep it light.

I thought she looked low. That explains it. What do you have in store for downstairs? I suppose I should pull the peerless mount for the 9" toshiba/dvd out of mine!:D:D Thanks for the explanation on the blacked out window frames. Might have to go that road and lightly tint the glass. Looks good for sure.

On the lexan sides...you'd have to leave about a 1/2-3/4 inch lip all the way around for the lexan to mount. I'll have to measure and see just how much of a window opening would be left once you pull that much in from the perimeter of the decal.

Ah...paint job. Now there is a basket of questions. Which paint to use. Roll and tip, or spray. Automotive or marine. I think I am down to either interlux perfection rolled and tipped....or automotive sprayed. Either will work. Looking for a really nice deep new car finish. Don't think that the interlux looks that good up close...but looks great at 10 feet. And this coming from guys who have been there...despite from the pics they provide looks outstanding. I have a friend who painted his entire boat with automotive...and it is holding up perfectly, and looks like she was just towed from the showroom. As serviceable as your bayliner looks, let it be! My gel is toast. And its starting to speckle through the gel on some places. So its time. But trust me, if a buffer would bring it back...I'd be there. Its going to be a bunch of prep work...probably anywhere from 50 hours plus in prep. Mama Mia!!

Best Regards,
John M
Kentucky

2155 owners 28 Sep 2010 17:01 #49

• Erik719

outrider;505589 wrote: I think they have 50 gallon tanks.
Can anyone tell me what prop they run?
I have a 15x17, is this optimal?

My '87 has a 55 gal tank according to the owner's manual.

2155 owners 29 Sep 2010 15:29 #50

• JR1396
Thanks Erik! I was thinking so, and it makes sense with my calculations.. although loose they were :) I also saw a 2455 listed with a 55 gal tank. So this should be it! Will be nice to take some of the guessing out!

Hiya John, well, I plan to build in an entertainment center of sorts where the kitchenette was over the winter. With a small counter but not pertrude in to the cabin as far.
I want to put a sub woofer speaker box on the bottom. With a carpeted wall so to speak that will have in it a power amp,cd player, dvd player and small screen tv.
I am thinking I will use a couple of marine 6x9 speakers in the cabin and at least two up top. then, something to equal out the weight inside to get the balast back.

hmm as far as paint goes, we painted the hood on my Jet ski with automotive paint, clear coated it with u-pol clear in the spray can and buffed it out.. it looks awesome I think. My friend did some custom airbrush stuff on the front too. I will post a pic in my gallery on my profile being that it is sorta irrelevant to Bayliner topics.. Anyway, It is holding up well and looks brand new.
On my boat the Blue on stripe is fading pretty good. Still has some gel coat there but next year or two, I am thinking it will be time.

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds