Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 242 Owners

242 Owners 25 Mar 2015 22:31 #26

• Back2Water
  • Thank you received: 19
Update:
Swapped out all the lights for LEDs now.

Installed 12x12df tabs and new 4 blade prop and took her out for a maiden voyage. (Again this is the 5.0L carbed with A1G2 leg) Was able to get 34MPH at WOT - 4,800 RPM. Had minimal gear, 3 adults, half tank of gas, beverages and tools. She hopped up on plane instantly. Didn't have much time to cruise cuz the ladies wanted to just put around, but for the 30 seconds I tried it I was doing 26MPH at 3,700 RPM. I think I can lower the RPMs and keep roughly the same speed if I'm able to play around with the trim.

Still working on getting everything buffed and cleaned, but she's making progress (see attached)

I was able to locate the engine alarm. Had to take off the dash and follow the mass of wires back from the ignition. The alarm was just a little, cylindrical black deal wrapped up with all the wires - I'd say about the size of 4 quarters stacked up. Put a little electrical tape over it to help dampen it - it's still plenty loud to hear even when going full bore, but now at least it's not deafening on start-up.

I bought some new seats to install, but the bolts that came with them are too short, so have to go grab some of those and will hopefully get them installed tomorrow or Friday. Was a bit surprised to see that the original seats had a different bolting pattern than the new seats. Not a big deal, but had to make a mounting template out of the box they came in and drill some new holes.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

David W. PDX, OR
2002 Bayliner 2452XE Ciera
5.0L Mercruiser (carbed) w/ A1 gen 2 drive
(14.5"x15" 4-blade Solas Aluminum Prop)
1984 2070 Explorer w/ Alaskan Bulkhead (SOLD)

242 Owners 21 Apr 2015 16:42 #27

• Back2Water
Drop curtain has been installed!

This message has an attachment image.

David W. PDX, OR
Last Edit: by Back2Water.

242 Owners 21 Apr 2015 23:58 #28

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71

Back2Water wrote: Update:
Swapped out all the lights for LEDs now.

Installed 12x12df tabs and new 4 blade prop and took her out for a maiden voyage. (Again this is the 5.0L carbed with A1G2 leg) Was able to get 34MPH at WOT - 4,800 RPM. Had minimal gear, 3 adults, half tank of gas, beverages and tools. She hopped up on plane instantly. Didn't have much time to cruise cuz the ladies wanted to just put around, but for the 30 seconds I tried it I was doing 26MPH at 3,700 RPM. I think I can lower the RPMs and keep roughly the same speed if I'm able to play around with the trim.

Still working on getting everything buffed and cleaned, but she's making progress (see attached)

I was able to locate the engine alarm. Had to take off the dash and follow the mass of wires back from the ignition. The alarm was just a little, cylindrical black deal wrapped up with all the wires - I'd say about the size of 4 quarters stacked up. Put a little electrical tape over it to help dampen it - it's still plenty loud to hear even when going full bore, but now at least it's not deafening on start-up.

I bought some new seats to install, but the bolts that came with them are too short, so have to go grab some of those and will hopefully get them installed tomorrow or Friday. Was a bit surprised to see that the original seats had a different bolting pattern than the new seats. Not a big deal, but had to make a mounting template out of the box they came in and drill some new holes.

. . . . dang . . . another 2452 with a lot better speed than mine . . . what size prop David? . . . . . oh well, looking at a 3055 now anyway . . :woohoo:

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

242 Owners 22 Apr 2015 01:04 #29

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Looking good!!! What kind of seats did you install? Photos!!!

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

242 Owners 22 Apr 2015 22:16 #30

• Back2Water
Dadrock - all my numbers were using a Solas Amita 4 Blade Aluminum 14.75" dia. X 15" pitch. Nice sale on them on iboats right now if you want to pick one up for just over $100.

Doug - I picked up a pair of Tempress NaviStyle Highback seats. I got the White with blue accent. Will post some pictures of them mounted here shortly, but here is a picture of the seat right before install.

They are great seats - all pieces made and assembled in the USA. I spoke to the company and they said they get a few of their vinyls out of Canada, but everything else is all USA, so you gotta love that. Picked them up on super sale for $107 a piece, including shipping. They have a different mounting pattern than the original seats in our boats, so I had to make a drilling template and fill the old holes, but nothing particularly difficult. The bolts that came with the seat were too short to make it through our fiberglass seat pedestals, so I had to go to a local bolt shop and get some 2 3/4" bolts to make that work. If you order them direct from Tempress you may be able to request a different bolt size.

When I was researching the seats some people complained that they sat up too vertical and wanted a bit more recline, so I was prepared to shim them, but found that it was definitely not necessary. I think those people may have been using them more for sedentary fishing on flat-bottom jon boats. With the way my boat sits in the water and definitely when we are underway, you get enough of a recline to make them very comfortable.

David W. PDX, OR

242 Owners 13 May 2015 15:50 #31

• Dooglas
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi All. New owner of a 2005 242 with 5.7 L and Bravo 2 drive. Also posted over on the 2452 list as I see some boats over there that are really 242s. Any ideas on replacing the disintegrating "monkey fur" gratefully accepted.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 13 May 2015 15:53 #32

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Foam backed marine vinyl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dooglas

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

242 Owners 13 May 2015 19:15 #33

• Back2Water
There are a lot of good options and a lot of people have done this with a lot of different materials; from carpet to spray on bed-liners to simulated lambs wool and marine vinyl.

Most people say it is not hard work, but it is a lot of work.

Here is a link that shows some of the options: www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...key-fur-atlanta-area

Is your monkey fur disintegrating all over your cabin? I know for me it has really only disintegrated around the windows and I just got a special UV resistant, extra adhesive white tape and taped around the window frame - just did it this winter - will have to see how it endures through the summer.

PS Congratulations on the new boat - you're going to love it!

David W. PDX, OR

242 Owners 14 May 2015 15:47 #34

• Dooglas
The boat is a "downsize" for us from a previous 37' so a different "vest pocket" experience. The boat had been mostly used for fishing and we are refitting it as a small (very small) cruiser. Regarding the monkey fur (rat fur, whatever). Any personal experiences with padded vinyl or flexible carpet-like materials would be gratefully appreciated. I am concerned about locating suitable materials that can be fitted around the irregular surfaces on the inside of the cabin. And monkey fur on the aft side of the head? What is that about?? :unsure:

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 14 May 2015 16:54 #35

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Dooglas wrote: The boat is a "downsize" for us from a previous 37' so a different "vest pocket" experience. The boat had been mostly used for fishing and we are refitting it as a small (very small) cruiser. Regarding the monkey fur (rat fur, whatever). Any personal experiences with padded vinyl or flexible carpet-like materials would be gratefully appreciated. I am concerned about locating suitable materials that can be fitted around the irregular surfaces on the inside of the cabin. And monkey fur on the aft side of the head? What is that about?? :unsure:

All Ciera classics have fur on the head aft bulkhead. Not sure what your complaint on that is? I'm sure a local JoAnnes fabric store can point you in the right place to get materials less expensive then a marine store. And you can see/feel them before buying...

I am not aware of anyone replacing all the fur in our boats. It would be an interesting project and some work to get stitching done and lined up prior to gluing on the fiberglass. I personally would not tackle that job. I would leave it to the professionals.

If you really don't like it, I'm sure if you add an additional $50K to the next boat, you can get vinyl coverings vice fur...

If you do tackle this, please post progress photos...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

242 Owners 14 May 2015 17:15 #36

• Back2Water
The Monkey fur on the aft head is awesome. Put some velcro on anything you want to have in there, but not have on the ground and just stick it up there. Light reading material? small bottle of hand sanitizer? Deodorizer? You name it, just stick it!

David W. PDX, OR

242 Owners 14 May 2015 23:05 #37

• Dooglas
I take it none of you guys ever clean your head?!? :unsure:

I think that is one of the first places that will be replaced with a vinyl that can be sponged clean. The trays/shelves on the sides of the peak berth are another spectacularly bad place for fur as they quickly get stained and dirty. My major complaint, however, is the fact that the fur is shedding.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 15 May 2015 00:12 #38

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Dooglas wrote: I take it none of you guys ever clean your head?!? :unsure:

I think that is one of the first places that will be replaced with a vinyl that can be sponged clean. The trays/shelves on the sides of the peak berth are another spectacularly bad place for fur as they quickly get stained and dirty. My major complaint, however, is the fact that the fur is shedding.

Maybe we all have better aim?

My Admiral is the only one that uses the head. With the exception of an emergency which has happen maybe 4 times since 1996...

We do clean up the fur/head, everywhere. Then a shot of Lysol on all the fur is fine. Kills 99% of all germs... Any mildew or mold then I use Attwood Mildew and Mold cleaner found in Wally World... www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-22-oz-Mildew-Stain-Remover/16351033

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

242 Owners 18 May 2015 16:28 #39

• Back2Water
Hey guys -

My gas cap tether is disconnected. Came that way when I bought the boat. Does anybody know how/where to reconnect it?

Attachment photo1.jpg not found

Thanks!

David W. PDX, OR

242 Owners 18 May 2015 16:42 #40

• Dooglas

Back2Water wrote: My gas cap tether is disconnected. Came that way when I bought the boat. Does anybody know how/where to reconnect it?

The where is a tab that projects downward from one side of the casting inside of the fuel hose. How is a whole different discussion. :unsure:

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 18 May 2015 16:43 #41

• dozerdog
  • Thank you received: 15
A large key ring is slipped thru the little hole on the cable. Then stuff the key ring into the fuel opening. If you have other thru hulls 'waste pump out or water tank fill' look at those.

2001 (Born Again in 2014) 2452 Alpha1 gen 2 5.0 carbed/ soon to be 5.7 EFI

242 Owners 18 May 2015 16:45 #42

• Dooglas

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: My Admiral is the only one that uses the head. With the exception of an emergency which has happen maybe 4 times since 1996...

Four times in 19 years? I think we are probably using our boats in somewhat different ways. We take ours out for 2 or 3 days at a time. At least one week long trip in the summer.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 18 May 2015 17:13 #43

• Dooglas

dozerdog wrote: A large key ring is slipped thru the little hole on the cable. Then stuff the key ring into the fuel opening.

Most of the one's I am familiar with use a small screw in a hole at the bottom of the casting as per the image below. Very difficult to reconnect without removing the deckfill.. You are certainly right that an oversized stainless ring would be much easier for repair.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 18 May 2015 18:20 #44

• Back2Water
Thanks, gentlemen - Dozer, just to be clear, you are suggesting just letting the key ring hang inside the fuel line, thus providing a nice anchor. You aren't suggesting trying to wedge a large key ring in there, correct?

Thanks!

David W. PDX, OR

242 Owners 18 May 2015 18:49 #45

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158

Back2Water wrote: Thanks, gentlemen - Dozer, just to be clear, you are suggesting just letting the key ring hang inside the fuel line, thus providing a nice anchor. You aren't suggesting trying to wedge a large key ring in there, correct?

Thanks!

Yes, my key ring i wedged from diagonally along my pipe diameter from one edge to the opposite.

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

242 Owners 18 May 2015 21:08 #46

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Dooglas wrote:

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: My Admiral is the only one that uses the head. With the exception of an emergency which has happen maybe 4 times since 1996...

Four times in 19 years? I think we are probably using our boats in somewhat different ways. We take ours out for 2 or 3 days at a time. At least one week long trip in the summer.

Three or more weeks at a time here. Even at anchor, I can dink to shore and use the head some place... BTW, we are just talking #2, not the yellow liquid...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

242 Owners 19 May 2015 00:13 #47

• Dooglas

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Three or more weeks at a time here. Even at anchor, I can dink to shore and use the head some place... BTW, we are just talking #2, not the yellow liquid...

You, Sir, are made of sterner stuff.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 19 May 2015 02:27 #48

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Dooglas wrote:

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Three or more weeks at a time here. Even at anchor, I can dink to shore and use the head some place... BTW, we are just talking #2, not the yellow liquid...

You, Sir, are made of sterner stuff.

LOL... when flying P3's upwards of 15 hours at a time, you learn to hold it... Yes, we had a porta potty head but if we used it, we had to dump it upon landing and very few had to do that over my flying career... I suppose it's a Navy thing...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

242 Owners 18 Aug 2015 23:21 #49

• Dooglas
I purchased my 242 earlier this year. It has 12X12 Bennett trim tabs. I notice discussions among 2452 owners mention 12X9 tabs as being the factory configuration. Do others with the 242 also have 12X12 tabs, or have mine been upgraded?

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

242 Owners 19 Aug 2015 05:53 #50

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
I will guess that 9 inch ones are the factory standard as mine has them too, yours was likely upgraded by the PO or installed on special demand from bayliner on order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dooglas

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds