Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners

3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners Winshield Strips 08 Aug 2017 21:34 #26

• gjackson
  • Thank you received: 22

henleyrh wrote: I need to replace all the strips around my windshield. I can not find them anywhere. I have a 1985 3870. Picture of the cross section of the strips is attached. Also a picture of the vessel Sea Wolfie.

I too planned to replace the trim. I searched for the seals, etc. Then I contacted a window / auto glass replacement company that does lots of work on boats. The boat yard referred me to them since they perform a lot of window repairs on Hatteras, Sea Ray, Bertram, etc. The glass company said to forget the old trim, they would re-bed the windows completely in a new, modern bedding material and no trim is required. They had a story about today's bedding material is light years ahead of what was available in the 1980s and the old trim pieces are obsolete and not used by any new boat manufacturers anymore, etc. They pulled the windows out with suction cups. Removed all the factory materials and silicon from prior repairs etc. The final results look very nice. Flush. Looks good. there is about 3/4 " of black rubber-like material that hardened all around the front windows in a continuous seam. 5 years later and still leak free. No trim. No seams. looks very clean. It looks like it will last a very long time since there are no seams anywhere, just a continuous seal around the perimeter of each front window.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

G W Jackson
'86 Bayliner 3870
NC Coast - Cape Lookout to Cape Fear

3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners 09 Aug 2017 03:33 #27

• Prattbratt777
  • Thank you received: 0
I am contemplating the purchase of a 1986 Bayliner 3870 with twin Hino175 diesel engines. My only hesitation is that the boat, though it is in good condition, has no upper Helm or cockpit enclosures. It does have a Sunbrella Bimini top on the flybridge. Is anyone aware of somewhere where those can be made or purchased at a reasonable price? (As reasonable goes). Thanks in advance for any responses.

3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners 09 Aug 2017 12:44 #28

• Yendrabuilt
  • Thank you received: 4
Check out a company called Elder Rubber for rubber weather strips, they make a lot of different profiles.

3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners 14 Aug 2017 00:50 #29

• oldcrow
  • Thank you received: 17
the crow nest now on the loop our blog crowsnestadventure.com in North Port on lake Michigan

1984 3870 bayliner

3888 (3870 & 3818) Owners 14 Aug 2017 01:35 #30

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Prattbratt, I don't have the enclosure either - yet. I've gotten estimates from $4500 up depending on what type of window vinyl is used. That's in the Puget Sound area. The cost of materials for each type and the assembly labor time for sewing a 24" seam is pretty constant, but the joint finish between the fabric and vinyl, rolled edge or sew the vinyl and cut out the fabric makes a huge time difference. I try to have work like that done during the off season with a somewhat casual schedule. Kind of "get to me when you can as fill in work, but I want it done by xxxx".

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948
Last Edit: by Pcpete. Reason: Added definitions
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds