Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2556 Owners

2556 Owners 19 May 2016 23:01 #51

• ktm fanatic
  • Thank you received: 14
1990 2556

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1990 2556
7.4 mercruiser Bravo 2 drive
Marysville Wa

2556 Owners 20 May 2016 09:10 #52

• Macaw586
  • Thank you received: 7
No one of the things I hated working on at the Sea Ray Dealership was Mercury! Especially Bravo 3's, nothing like a shift interlock to spoil a great day.

I had the OMC tore down and went through, my mechanic (a Mercury Fan no less, probably because he has to work on them all the time) said it was good to go so I'm running with it. Just a lot of electrolysis from sitting in the marina with the battery chargers on all the time. Ordered the paint through Marine Wholesalers for 5 bucks and a good primer and I'll sand her up and have it finished off this weekend. The engine and outdrive should be good to go and first on the list completed.

Pulled the old sonar system and replacing it with a Lowerance Mark 4, got the chip for Christmas from my daughter so this will do until I go with a radar maybe next year :-)

SSgt (E-6) USMC Retired
1975-1997
1st Enlistment) MACS-7 Operations, MAG-38, 3rd MAW
2nd until retirement) 1st ANGLICO, 31 MEU FMF-Pacific
Busted two times (E-8 back to E-6, and E-7 back to E-6) NJP
"Take me to the Brig and show me the real MARINES" Chesty Puller
Last Edit: by Macaw586.

2556 Owners 29 May 2016 00:21 #53

• Macaw586
Anybody ever remove the lower station all together?

I'm in double station hell, the throttle and gear linkage is all messed up and the guy before me removed the steering (four bolts holding the gear/cable connection all together. When I connected it hangs up "both stations" And when I look behind the console all the fuses are glass anyway. But the fly bridge is normal and all works.

Is it worth getting both up and running for the sale of keeping it all "stock" or would removing the lower station completely be sacrilegious?

I would make a nice area for a couch or something?

P.S.- I hope the guy who invented EAS died a horrible death...

SSgt (E-6) USMC Retired
1975-1997

2556 Owners 29 May 2016 01:21 #54

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 807
Sure you could remove the lower helm controls, saw one on the net like that once. I like the idea of a lower helm when the weather is crappy wet and windy. I'm planning on a removable countertop section in that area and possibly quick release helm wheel to gain some food prep space etc.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2556 Owners 29 May 2016 06:56 #55

• kiwi55
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Like your ideas dave a quick release helm wheel can be done just like they use in speedway motor racing
Cheers Murray

2556 Owners 29 May 2016 11:44 #56

• Macaw586
At this point the upper station is fighting with the lower.

With the shift and throttle disconnected and steering unbolted in the salon, the upper works fine. Which is probably what the previous owners decided to do when they experienced my problems. So instead of replacing the bad cables they must have just decided to run with it like it was.

My "ultimate" plans are to set it up for fishing (down-riggers and the like) and outside of returning in inclement weather is it really worth keeping her an "all weather" cruiser?

Worse that can happen is that I'll be staying in the well longer than other boats, but that's fine with me because I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go (retired) If I "Gilligan" (Island) somewhere that's fine with me too.. ha ha ha.

I was planning on running with the pig-tail two connection for the transducer which would allow me to quickly unbolt the control head and move it down into the salon. So this (removing the lower helm completely) would save me from running a whole new base unit set up down there as well.

The thought has crossed my mind (many times) about taking the whole side out, from the head to the V-Berth removing the fridge, stove, sink, helm and all. That would free up a ton of space in an area where it is sorely needed. I use my portable 12VDC/110 Coleman Cooler and load it at home and plug it in when I get to the boat and as for cooking I use the gas grill at my well. A nice 8' couch facing the dinette would make more passenger space and probably the most sought after for the grand kids because they are always fighting for the single helm seat down there (from what my wife says) while underway.

At this point I haven't made up my mind (however it may seem) but trying to come up with the amount of teak paneling to turn that side into a giant couch (with storage underneath) is another deciding factor. That and would the resale value drop that much?

This message has attachments images.

SSgt (E-6) USMC Retired
1975-1997
Last Edit: by Macaw586.

2556 Owners 18 Aug 2016 12:35 #57

• Macaw586
Replaced the lower shift cable when the outdrive bellows (et al) were replaced and it appears the mechanic put the current cable that is available in a kit. However this cable was way too long as I tried to tell him but never less it worked till last weekend.

The cable end pulled right out of the black plastic housing. Was a horrible thing, there I was cruising along and getting ready to pull into my harbor no wake zone and cut the throttle back all the way and came off plane. Was still going a little fast but no wake, still I decided to give her a little back prop to slow down [cable is pushed all the way in] and then when I was slow enough I went forward again [pulled all the way out] and cleared the mouth of the harbor inward, this is where i think it came out because as the momentum kept taking me forward a little too fast I put some back prop on it [which pushed the cable in and putting it in reverse] all this mind you no throttle at all, went into reverse and when I went forward ... nothing the shifter went limp. I was stuck in reverse and heading backwards now right in the way of our most expensive yachts in the harbor, closest to the lake and deepest part of the harbor. It isn't that wide to make a 360 turn so I steered her into the dock between the two Queen Elizabeth's sitting there (I think one was a Sea Ray 55 and the other a Viking) I got STOPPED alright straight up against the dock and just had enough space to squeeze in-between them. Well another boater came along and towed me to my well and I checked to see what was the problem.

Cable separated from the end

There is two squeeze points at the end inside of the plastic end piece but it looks like the cable is frayed beyond reattachment.

Anybody have this problem before? Is there any fix outside of pulling the outdrive and replacing the cable?

I'd have another month or so before I'll be pulling her anyway for the season, just trying to get some more use out of her before then. I'll put pictures up if any body is interested and has a work around for this

SSgt (E-6) USMC Retired
1975-1997

2556 Owners 18 Aug 2016 23:24 #58

• ktm fanatic
  • Thank you received: 14
I think this is a 2556 owners list thread. You should start a new thread for any questions about your boat.

1990 2556
7.4 mercruiser Bravo 2 drive
Marysville Wa

2556 Owners 19 Aug 2016 02:54 #59

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Macaw586 wrote: Replaced the lower shift cable when the outdrive bellows (et al) were replaced and it appears the mechanic put the current cable that is available in a kit. However this cable was way too long as I tried to tell him but never less it worked till last weekend.

The cable end pulled right out of the black plastic housing.

Cable separated from the end

There is two squeeze points at the end inside of the plastic end piece but it looks like the cable is frayed beyond reattachment.

Anybody have this problem before? Is there any fix outside of pulling the outdrive and replacing the cable?

I'd have another month or so before I'll be pulling her anyway for the season, just trying to get some more use out of her before then. I'll put pictures up if any body is interested and has a work around for this

Id be calling the " mechanic" on that one :huh:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
Last Edit: by builderdude.

2556 Owners 19 Aug 2016 02:59 #60

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

ktm fanatic wrote: I think this is a 2556 owners list thread. You should start a new thread for any questions about your boat.

Agree, a seperate thread in tech may get more eyes on the issue.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2556 Owners 19 Aug 2016 03:47 #61

• desuch
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
1988 5.7 lit mercruiser omc cobra I/O, outdrive sprung a leak at water pump being worked on by bayside marine Everett WA.

1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION
Last Edit: by desuch.

2556 Owners 19 Nov 2016 09:41 #62

• 80Penta225D
  • Thank you received: 2
Add me, too -- thanks! So great to see so many 2556 owners here.

My brother (Monroe WA) and I have nearly identical boats. He's owned his boat for years and completed restoration long ago (including a duoprop). I've only just begun. Fortunately, she's in amazing shape, overall -- "just" needs an electronics update from the 80s, a new enclosure/canvas, new upholstery, and eventually a duoprop. Then -- Alaska here we come!

Shelly
Willamette Valley, Oregon
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- My boat (every photo, ever)
www.flickr.com/gp/93076243@N07/esPXUY

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB
rotting away in the woods (yours for $5k):
www.flickrbu.com/gp/93076243@N07/856u6h ...

2556 Owners 19 Nov 2016 11:18 #63

• 80Penta225D
I want to replace this bench seat (see photo) with a dining table. Is it original?

What, you're supposed to stand while at the helm?? You can't even see out the windows when sitting! I don't get it. It turns into bunk beds, so I'm think the previous owner may have put it in to accommodate 2 grandkids.

I've seen a nearly identical boat with a dining table instead (see attached), RV style, seats 4, breaks down into a berth. The fore back-rest pivots to accommodate the captain when tilted aft, or 2 aft-facing diners when tilted fore. Does anyone have this layout? If you have interior photos you'd share, I'd love to see them.

I know the redesign will take a bigger foot print, but I'm good with that. More storage, right?

Thanks for any thoughts, photos, etc.

This message has attachments images.

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB
Last Edit: by 80Penta225D. Reason: Clarification

2556 Owners 19 Nov 2016 17:23 #64

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

80Penta225D wrote: I want to replace this bench seat (see photo) with a dining table. Is it original?

What, you're supposed to stand while at the helm?? You can't even see out the windows when sitting! I don't get it. It turns into bunk beds, so I'm think the previous owner may have put it in to accommodate 2 grandkids.

I've seen a nearly identical boat with a dining table instead (see attached), RV style, seats 4, breaks down into a berth. The fore back-rest pivots to accommodate the captain when tilted aft, or 2 aft-facing diners when tilted fore. Does anyone have this layout? If you have interior photos you'd share, I'd love to see them.

I know the redesign will take a bigger foot print, but I'm good with that. More storage, right?

Thanks for any thoughts, photos, etc.

Boat looks bigger than a 2556, 28 footer maybe? Also your flicker link doesn't work for me :(

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 03:02 #65

• 80Penta225D
Hmmm. The title says 25', and it was advertised as 25. I've never measured, tho.

I just checked the Flickr link, and got right to the photos of course. I'll repaste the link, tho.

Thanks!

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 03:49 #66

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Saw the photos had my settings turned off. Looks like a well cared for boat. Still think it's a 28 but I'm no expert. Maybe post a pic of it under boating topics and ask, there's some guys here that I'm sure will know The 2556 wasn't made till the late 80's. I think 89 ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 06:03 #67

• 80Penta225D
Yes, she was literally found in a garage. Oh, that 80s "technology", tho....

Attaching part of the title. I'll post in another area, see what I can find out.

Thanks for the observations and comments!

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 07:07 #68

• Quackattak
  • Thank you received: 8
You have a 2550 Saratoga, very similar to the 2556. I have a 81, the one thing we have is the Volvo penta drive. I recently picked up a 2958 & I'm having trouble convincing myself to keep it and get rid of the 2550.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 80Penta225D

1981 2550 Bayliner Saratoga command bridge.
5.7 volvo penta,

1989 2958 command bridge.

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 17:09 #69

• 80Penta225D
A Saratoga! And you have TWO?! I've been wondering since I bought the boat a year ago. Do you have photos of your boats? Are the salons laid out like mine?

My outdrive -- Volvo, right?

Should I continue to hang out with the 2556 folks, or is there a better spot for me? Don't want to crash a 2556 party with a Saratoga! :lol:

Thanks!!

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 17:57 #70

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Your more than welcome to hange out here :) however even though both boats are 25' in length there aren't many other similarities. So it would may be difficult for the 2556 guys to help out with particular questions or issues you may have. No worries though, you can allways post questions or whatever els you want in just about any of the topics here on BOC.
Your boat looks very well kept and super clean, Welcome to the club B)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 18:09 #71

• 80Penta225D
Mine's on a trailer -- will be heading to Puget Sound, Columbia R, Newport.... 29' is quite a tow!

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB

2556 Owners 20 Nov 2016 19:03 #72

• Quackattak
I will try to get some pics, I'm up the Columbia in umatilla. The right side of your cabin has been changed considerably, should have table & bench seating. Front bench you can steer from. You do have the Volvo Penta, great drives. When the 2556 came out they had the cobra drives, that was a step backwards, later models finally got the mercury drives. I like the 56's lines way better & I think they have wider beams than ours.

5.7 volvo penta,

2556 Owners 21 Nov 2016 20:19 #73

• 80Penta225D
I've already learned so much about my boat from this forum!

Thanks for confirming that the starboard side has been modified quite a bit. I don't like it at all. I will return it to 'stock' this winter. Would love to see your photos if you get around to posting them. Grew up in West Seattle boating with my dad. I've never cruised the Columbia. Really looking forward to expanding my horizons! I've already got the charts! :)

There is a sad old '79 Saratoga Command Bridge south of Eugene OR that has been parked under a bunch of fir trees for about 25 years (photos in my Flickr acct). Hardly any hours on it, but it is deteriorating (trailer looks reasonably good, tho). I've been inside, taken lots of photos and detailed measurements. The owner wants $5k for it. Sheesh. As if. He let's me go in it, tho (ick... haunted) when I want to compare/contrast.

Thanks again!

Shelly
from Seattle

'80 Saratoga 2550 CB
Volvo Penta 225D &
Volvo 280 outdrive

- a 1979 '24 Saratoga CB

2556 Owners 22 Nov 2016 13:54 #74

• Quackattak
I boated alot as a kid on the lower Columbia\williamette rivers, plus up in the sound. All with my uncle & aunt, they haven't been able to use their boat for a long time, sat in a moorage in scappoose wasting away till my cousins where just going to give away. I stepped in & took it, that's why I have a 2958 now.

The 2550 I bought cheap out of yelm 5 years ago, nothing worked on it. Spent 6 months getting it in shape, been a good boat for the last 4 seasons. Sits in covered moorage all year, works great for fishing or overnighting. Installed 8 horse kicker and remote steering which has worked great. Both boats are out of water now needing work. I will get some pics this week when I'm at Marina.

Yours is really clean, your wind screen on the bridge isnt broken, outdrive looks great. Will be a great boat for you, have enjoyed mine.

5.7 volvo penta,

2556 Owners 15 Dec 2016 12:32 #75

• Cobia 91
  • Thank you received: 3
91 2556. Recent repower with a 8.1 Volvo MPI and Volvo duo prop (both 78 hrs).

91 2556
8.1L Volvo, Volvo duo prop leg
Defence Attaché, Dili
Home base: Bega Valley, NSW, Australia
Boating since 88. First boat 78 Pongrass 18.5" Half cab w/- 135 Johnson
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds