Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2556 Owners

2556 Owners 24 Apr 2017 03:42 #101

• Cobia 91
  • Thank you received: 3
Gday Scott, welcome. Nice looking boat! Sounds like some great additions to keep you all busy. Great photo with the reflection. What sort of depths are you crabbing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

91 2556
8.1L Volvo, Volvo duo prop leg
Defence Attaché, Dili
Home base: Bega Valley, NSW, Australia
Boating since 88. First boat 78 Pongrass 18.5" Half cab w/- 135 Johnson

2556 Owners 24 Apr 2017 03:48 #102

• Cobia 91
Hi Joel, it is just a simple light weight, moulded plastic picnic table with folding legs we stow to the side when underway. Depends on what we are doing but either use two large eskys as seats or one and a couple of folding chairs. I can attach some pics when I get home from this trip. Kind regards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgm1986

91 2556
Defence Attaché, Dili

2556 Owners 25 Apr 2017 12:35 #103

• ScottinWA
  • Thank you received: 1
G'day Cobia! We've been crabbing around 80 feet, but with a pot puller now (bought for shrimping) I'm going to try deeper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cobia 91

1999 Trophy 2509 & 1986 Bayliner (Trophy) 2560 Convertible
On the water in Rosedale, WA

2556 Owners 17 May 2017 10:44 #104

• Cobia 91
Sounds terrific! 80 feet is a good column of water to be working. How much deeper do you reckon you might try? The last couple of times we've been out we've just been washing lures. Never mind, I do like boating.

91 2556
Defence Attaché, Dili

2556 Owners 17 May 2017 10:58 #105

• Cobia 91
I have been working with our marine shop about making a custom swim platform that gives us a bit more room. The frame is being made from aluminium tube with teak slats for drainage and to tie in with the existing coach work. We've also ordered a smaller dingy. The 3.2 RIB has wrestled the better of me on more than one occasion. Looking to fit the Raymarine ECI-100 to the network and engine data port for some more info on our a78 MFD. Having a terrific time with the family.

91 2556
Defence Attaché, Dili

2556 Owners 21 May 2017 00:27 #106

• desuch
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
curios what prop are you running please let me know

1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

2556 Owners 21 May 2017 02:47 #107

• Cobia 91
Hi Desuch, I have attached a couple of photos with the part numbers for the front and rear.

I like the camper covers you have at the back. They look great.

Kind regards

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: desuch

91 2556
Defence Attaché, Dili

2556 Owners 10 Aug 2017 22:59 #108

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38
Lou & Rochelle
Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 CB dual station
single 5.7 omc cobra, 260hp
oversized 12x24 bennett trim tabs

N2K system thruout with tank sensors and EP60-R fuel flow monitor
garmin chartplotter/sounder upper station
lowrance chartplotter/sounder lower station
lowrance LMF200
standard horizon matrix AIS VHF with active MMSI
FloScan 5500
lots of interior mods to open up/create storage space
Kenyon KISS stove converted to propane
toaster oven
Norcold refridgerator
upgraded pioneer sound system
2500w inverter
2 12v trojans for house bank
1 12v g27 dedicated start battery
ProSport dual 12amp batt charger
blue sea ACR and dual circuit plus batt switch
dual anchors
magma kettle II grill
modified swim platform to accommodate trolling motor bracket

dual axle galvanized trailer
surge disc brakes

We are cruisers and tow this boat to different bodies of water all over the western united states with our Ram 3500 6.7 cummins, to enjoy and explore the scenery on different lakes, bays and backwaters...

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra
Last Edit: by Centerline2.

2556 Owners 11 Aug 2017 04:38 #109

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 809
Centerline, I'd be interested to see what storage mods you've done, been working on some myself, have any pics to share? Sounds like your "hooked up" with the N2K electronics, NICE!! B)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2556 Owners 11 Aug 2017 16:45 #110

• Centerline2

builderdude wrote: Centerline, I'd be interested to see what storage mods you've done, been working on some myself, have any pics to share? Sounds like your "hooked up" with the N2K electronics, NICE!! B)

I'll try to get you some pics... I have seen other peoples boats with more than I have done, but some of what they have done takes space from other areas. what im trying to do is open up space that is there but not being used. some of the created space isnt a lot, but when the existing space is small to begin with, a little bit more can add as much as 25 to 40 percent more.
the cubbys behind the sliders on the starboard side that runs from the helm to behind the stove, with the electrical panel in the center...there is a lot of unused space behind these "storage" areas.
the panels at the rear of theses cubbys can be removed and the "mounting blocks" that the retainer screws go into can be taken loose and moved back so the space will be deeper... the rear cubby behind the stove can be doubled, and the one at the helm end nearly doubled. the blocks behind the forward cubby, at their original position are at the same depth from the front of the cabinet, but the space behind allows the front block to be moved back about 1.5", and the rear block to be moved about 3"... this allows for an angled space, but much larger.
also, the power panel can be removed and the blocks can be moved rearward about 2 inches, which allows items to be stowed in the larger tray in front of it.

some of the space you open up is a LOT, or just the convenience of it makes a world of difference...

I built a dish storage cabinet over the galley, added shelving in the unused space overhead in the head area, and also a shelf added in the cabinet below the head sink....
I added shelving in the rear lower portion of the hanging closet... a shelf to divide the storage in the side of the helm cabinet, and a shelf in the longer strorage cabinet below the helm station, but this shelf does not come all the way to the front of the cabinet. it is full length of the cabinet but is about 5" short of reaching the door opening. this allows for a large shelf to hold pots and pans, yet also allows for larger items to be placed in the original space below.

the small door below the helm seat has a nice sized space behind it, but the door is too small to utilize it with any convienience... but the door itself is quite a bit bigger than the cabinet opening. so i removed the door, cut the opening bigger (wider and taller) so the door just covered the opening, and built a drawer for this space, then attached the door to the front of the drawer to make it look the same as it was. it is now much more convienient to get to what is stored in the rear of the area now..

below the area where some have a microwave installed below the forward the settee, I have cut a hole below this area to access the foot of the quarter berth and trimmed it nicely with wood... now things at the foot of the quarter berth are easily accessed, and other things can be stowed there. my wife bought a large low profile storage bin, and it works like a drawer, yet can be shoved aside to get to other things that are stowed there.. or removed so someone could sleep there if necessary.....

openings were also cut out and trimmed in the lower V-berth storage areas... this opens up the port side bin, and the other cutout opens up the bun directly forward.
the far forward storage area still has to be accessed from under the cushions.

I still havent figured out how im going to open the overhead space between the flybridge and cabin, but its a thing that will happen soon... and I have plans to install coaming boxes in the cockpit to utilize the abundance of "lost" space between the inner and outer walls.... I am currently working on a rode locker for the space inside the transom area, so that we can have our stern tie line readily accessible at all times... our second anchor stows/hangs on chocks i built and attached to the bulkhead just aft of the head area..

basically, a person with a creative mind can find lost space in a lot of areas on any boat and the only challenge is determining if the area that is going to be cut out is structural, and if so, how much can be cut away without affecting the integrity...
AND, doing a good job of trimming it out with molding so that it looks ship shape and not a hack job...

2556 Owners 04 Oct 2017 15:33 #111

• ScottinWA
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, after all the work I've done on this boat, the engine is now kaput! Threw a rod and I've got to replace it. Have the shop researching options/prices. I've put enough into this one and will now put it up for sale. Good fix it up price before the engine work gets started.

I'm back to the Trophy outboard! Bought a 1999 2509.

This message has an attachment image.

1999 Trophy 2509 & 1986 Bayliner (Trophy) 2560 Convertible
On the water in Rosedale, WA

2556 Owners 04 Oct 2017 17:56 #112

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 809
Bummer deal Scott, maybe post the 2560 in boats for sale. The 2509 looks like a great fishing platform.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

2556 Owners 04 Oct 2017 18:34 #113

• Centerline2

ScottinWA wrote: Well, after all the work I've done on this boat, the engine is now kaput! Threw a rod and I've got to replace it. Have the shop researching options/prices. I've put enough into this one and will now put it up for sale. Good fix it up price before the engine work gets started.

it sounds as if you had it fixed up pretty well. too bad the engine decided to retire.... this is exactly how OTHER people end up with good deals on a used boat.
someone puts a lot of money into fixing a boat up for themselves, and then decides to sell it because something a bit more expensive suddenly failed...
you mentioned you have already rebuilt the outdrive, so installing either a new or a rebuilt engine should make the 2560 a very dependable boat for a long time.... the way I figure it, a rebuilt engine would be a lot cheaper than buying another boat and starting all over,... with the possibility of something failing on it...
the 2560/2556 is a nicely laid out boat, and after looking at all the many different models and brands before I bought mine, there is no way I would give mine up due to a blown engine.
the engine can be lifted out of the boat in less than 2 hours from the time you open the engine hatch, and if the wiring is all original on the engine, it will only take a little longer to reinstall it.... and while its out, you can easily get to all the work that probably needs to be done in the engine bay, while you are waiting for your replacement motor.... and you end up with a boat that you know should last you many years. IMHO...

2556 Owners... storage options 08 Oct 2017 04:01 #114

• Centerline2
I got the boat as finished as its going to get.... autopilot will be next.
after seeing what others have done to create more space (of which some ideas are great), I copied some, and came up with a few ideas of my own...

I added shelving in the compartments that were big enough, turned one compartment space into a drawer, and cut holes where there were none and then trimmed the openings...
the side panel below the shifter hides a lot of room. I removed the panel and put it inside the opening. I plan to make a vinyl boot cover to go over the control cables...
one of the very best things i did was to build a custom shelf for the dishes. it securely holds enough for 4 people... plates, cups, bowls, as well as paper plates, insulated cocktail tumblers and a measuring cup, the rack on the wall was worthless, so I cut it down a little and added slats to the front in place of the aluminum rods. it makes a better place to keep the soap....
everyone who has one of these boats know there is a large volume of space behind the dinette. after having guests aboard on several occasions, I found the middle seatback never really got used, so I removed it. then peeled back the fuzzy material and cut 10 inches off of each back board.... now we have a place to store coats, extra blankets and a number of other things that we havent yet though of stowing in there.....
the space below the Vberth is inconvenient to access, but there is a lot of good usable area there, AND these boats need weight forward, so I cut access holes. all of our bottled water gets stowed in the front hole, and boots, shoes and tools in the port side.. also, Rochelle got tired of having to crawl into the quarter berth to get something that made its way too far forward, so with an access hole we can now put stuff there on purpose, and still easily get to it when needed.....
the wiring is a bit difficult to access behind the helm,and i wanted to put a door there so access would be easier, but when I realized there was a separater shelf between the electrical and the cabinet space below I decided a storage compartment would work well here, providing one is reasonable careful of what they put in there... I have already
added a shelf in the cabinet space below here to make more storage there...
an 8" deep shelf over the head is utilizing that space... it could use a 10" deep shelf, but I didnt want it so deep that Rochelle would have to stand on the toilet to reach things up there...

what is not seen in the photos is the rod rack mounted overhead above the dinette. Im 6ft and setting full upright and stretching, neither it nor the rods are a hinderance to me, so when setting normal, it will never be in the way.... and it will hold 4 fishing rods.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vanisle boater

2556 Owners 08 Oct 2017 04:20 #115

• Centerline2
here are a few more...
I was Rochelles Idea to hang a bag in the head to hold stuff so we arent digging thru a bag or compartment for what we need....
the electrical panel has space behind it that is not being occupied, so I moved the panel into the opening farther. I could have went more but I didnt want it to be too far back in the recess. but it does allow for some small trinkets to lay in the try in front of it now...
there is almost 3" of space behind the cubby near the levers, and the cubby behind the stove. I moved the back panel in to make a more user friendly space out of both areas.
the cushion on the starboard side of the vberth is nearly usless, unless a kid needs to sleep on that side. (with the addition of the filler cushion, we both sleep on the port side) but it makes a GREAT lounge chair. so I shortened the cushion and added a 2x2 under the edge of it so it tips back a little... to make it more comfortable. it can still be moved up to the supports to make a berth if needed.....
I replaced the 11" trim tabs with 24" tabs... at a cruising weight of 7500lbs, I can easily stay on plane down to 7kts.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vanisle boater

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds