Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2452 Owners

2452 Owners 11 Sep 2011 19:46 #376

• 57chevy
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new hear and wanted to say Howdy, I picked up a 96 2452 with the 5.7this summer for fishing out of AK. I've really enjoyed looking at the upgrades everyone's done to there boats and have made a large mental note of everything I plan on doing to mine.

I did have some ?'s on the handling I think it was mostly due to being bow heavy when I first went out but I had alot of issues with listing when getting up on step. enough to give the Admiral a real good scare and get Her seasick which the 5ft seas we got stuck in didn't help.

so on with my ?. it appears to me that I can't put very much wieght in the bow without having some seriously bad handling, is this a common issue? after that first trip it handled alot better with alot of work with the trim tabs and since I removed alot of bow wieght. until the last day we were out I ran the fuel tank down to less then a quarter and had emptied out the fresh water tank and It start listing on me again. so do you think just adding more wieght to the stern is the answer so that I can carry a few things like a second anchor on the bow? or do I just need to plan on not putting much wieght on the bow.

Thanks for the help
and here's a pick of my boat

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Howdy Howdy
owner 96' 2452 5.7 bravo2

2452 Owners 11 Sep 2011 20:22 #377

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
My first 2452 was a 96...

To get on plane, you need to drop your trim tabs full down then once on plane, lift them. You should be on plane around 3250 rpm with a 5.7. I am assuming you have the BII outdrive...

You need to move weight to the bow to stop floating like a cork. It will help with your leaning issues as well. One of the best ways we found to add that weight forward was to add about 2" of memory foam inside the forward bunk cover. That alone helped.

Also, change out your trim tabs from the 12x9 to 12x12 with drop fins.

If you lift the outdrive about 1.5-2 seconds from full down, you will also get to your sweet spot for fuel economy. If you lift the outdrive too much, you will start to porpoise...

Get you wife an electronic relief band for sea sickness. It is instantaneous and works well. No groggy feeling as you would with pills.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 11 Sep 2011 21:02 #378

• 57chevy
Thanks for the fast response Doug.

I did put the 12"X12" trim tabs on my list for upgrades this winter :)
What I was confused with is it actually seemed that I was having the opposite problem I got up on plan fast and easy no matter where I had the trim tabs just it wanted to lean one way or another to a very uncomfortable extent also causing me to not be able to turn for fear of more listing. with alot of trim tab work I was able to get it to go straight without scaring anyone that first day but I couldn't turn at speed. I do have the bravo 2 outdrive and I forgot to mention that I have a trol-A-matic trolling plate that I think might be part of the problem that is on my list to take off and try running without it next year. I don't know if any one else has noticed a problem cuased by a trolling plate or whale tale giving to much lift? Also I was able to stay on plane at around 3200 rpm. And those sea sickness bands look interesting I'll have to order a pair I did have a pair of "seabands" the pressure point style on board but they didn't do a hole lot for my wife trying after she was already sick.

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 11 Sep 2011 23:45 #379

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

57chevy;611115 wrote: Thanks for the fast response Doug.

What I was confused with is it actually seemed that I was having the opposite problem I got up on plan fast and easy no matter where I had the trim tabs just it wanted to lean one way or another to a very uncomfortable extent also causing me to not be able to turn for fear of more listing. with alot of trim tab work I was able to get it to go straight without scaring anyone that first day but I couldn't turn at speed. I do have the bravo 2 outdrive and I forgot to mention that I have a trol-A-matic trolling plate that I think might be part of the problem that is on my list to take off and try running without it next year. I don't know if any one else has noticed a problem cuased by a trolling plate or whale tale giving to much lift? Also I was able to stay on plane at around 3200 rpm. And those sea sickness bands look interesting I'll have to order a pair I did have a pair of "seabands" the pressure point style on board but they didn't do a hole lot for my wife trying after she was already sick.

Welcome, Chevy!

My boat lists also when on plane, to port. It can be a tad scary too!
I try to load to lessen this but the leaning seems to be the nature of the breed.
Anyway,,,,,,Enjoy your stay! :)
Sarah

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'97 Bayliner Empress Ciera 2859
Unnamed!
Bravo II Drive ~ 7.4 375HP Mercruiser

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 00:19 #380

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

57chevy;611115 wrote: Thanks for the fast response Doug.

I had a set of dolphins on my outdrive for exactly one trip out on my 96 2452. Got to lean around 30+ degrees out of no where. I was standing on the pax seat trying to get back to level. I removed them that evening. Not sure if that is a problem or not... but it is easy for you to try without that installed... it is an extra tab hanging out there so maybe it has some bearing.

The trim tabs are tough to get used to but eventually, you'll get the hang of them. You can easily over trim to one side or the other. I normally hit them together and retract them together as well or you will lean severely to one side or the other. On my current 2452, I have trim tab indicators below the helm and they are great to see where each one is at all times...

Those relief bands are great. The battery lasts several years of use. My admiral use to get sea sick a lot but has never gotten sea sick since we got them (on her second one... first one went swimming with her once). She has used them since 96/97... West Marine use to carry them. Not sure if they are on ebay or amazon... They also work in cars too...

I have a few mods on my old 96 in my signature if you want some ideas... many are inexpensive...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 15:58 #381

• 57chevy
Thanks for the welcome,
Thanks for the info Doug I was hoping other people had a simialar issue with whale tail type devices, I can understand that there should be some listing with this boat design. but the 30degree plus that we where getting didn't feel safe. I won't be able to test out the change until next year since by the time I get off work are boating season will be over. And yes I appriciate your old Go Aweigh gallery on mods I was looking at them even before I bought the boat so once I have a chance to start in on my mods I might be asking for tips if I run into any issues.

Thanks for the replys Sarah and Doug

Bart

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 16:04 #382

• TimeOut 2452
  • Thank you received: 3
Chevy,
When I got my 98 2452 this June, it had the whale tail thingy on it. My first cruise out I thought I'd made a huge mistake! Thanks to the advice here, I removed that POS and next cruise was great! Takes a minute or two to learn what trim is exactly right but now we've got it down!

As Doug said, put tabs all the way down, accelerate, raise tabs when on plane and use the tabs to help level you off (i.e. mine lists a little to port, so I click that port side down a few times and it levels right off!). Also use the engine trim a little and you'll find your sweet spot. We have!

Great to have you on the board, look forward to hearing more and seeing more pics!

Patrick & Stacey
1998 Bayliner 2452, Merc 5.0L 305 220HP, Alpha I Gen II Drive
Gainesville, MO
Our Lake Life Blog

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 17:21 #383

• David Meek
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Chevy, 30 degrees???? That's okay if you are on a sailboat, but not on one of ours. I've hit that a couple of times but only when I wasn't watching and got caught crossing a big wake side-on. I'd look closely at that tail (like remove it NOW).

At rest are you listing at all? The Rock lists a few degrees to starboard but that's due mainly to the battery bank being on that side.

As far as the bow plowing, nope. I haven't seen that at all. I've put on a heavier anchor and have the forward storage full of supplies, an extra anchor and rode, you name it and have had zero problems. Again, I'd lose that tail.

David
2006 242 Off The Rock
5.7 Merc TKS, 250 HP, full closed cooling
Bravo II 2.20:1, 17-3/4"x21 RH prop
MMSI: 367492130

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 18:32 #384

• 57chevy
Thanks for the reply's and conformation about removing the tail, I'm also glad to hear that I should be able to run my extra anchor for cove camping on the bow once I get the stupid thing off. Yep david my boat lists a little to starboard sitting still I think becuase it came with two batteries on that side the kicker and the shrimp pot puller all on the same side. I don't know what the guy was thinking that I got it from. I plan to atleast move the second battery to the port and maybe add a 3rd over there also.

Thanks
Bart

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 18:36 #385

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

57chevy;611354 wrote: Thanks for the reply's and conformation about removing the tail, I'm also glad to hear that I should be able to run my extra anchor for cove camping on the bow once I get the stupid thing off. Yep david my boat lists a little to starboard sitting still I think becuase it came with two batteries on that side the kicker and the shrimp pot puller all on the same side. I don't know what the guy was thinking that I got it from. I plan to atleast move the second battery to the port and maybe add a 3rd over there also.

Thanks
Bart

And mine lists to port!
That's where my batteries are......port side.

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

Unnamed!

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 18:52 #386

• 57chevy
And speaking on that 30 degree listing it did make for a pretty rough first day on the boat. luckly didn't have to much trouble the rest of my time out once I removed almost all forward wieght untill I ran my water tank and fuel tank almost empty the last day. It's not a fun time when the boat is listing like that trying to run in 1 to 2 foot seas and then have the wind pick up and bring in 5 footers not a real cozy feeling.

Well now I know its going to be a really long winter waiting to test out all the upgrades I'm going to do in the next couple of months.
Doug speaking of upgrades do you have anymore pics of your incab rod holders that you did on "Go Aweigh to" and do you think that would have worked on your 96? from the pic it looks like the holder tube sticks out of the boat or am I looking at it cross eyed?
Thanks again
Bart

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 18:58 #387

• 57chevy

LazyCrusr;611355 wrote: And mine lists to port!
That's where my batteries are......port side.

HAHA thanks for making me think, you can tell i'm a newbie at this since I forgot that port is left so for atleast my last two responses everything I said swap 180degrees :oops yes I also list to the port Sarah. thanks for the help :worth

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 19:25 #388

• David Meek
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

57chevy;611363 wrote: yes I also list to the port Sarah.

Hmmm, I'd see a doctor about that if I were you. :D

David
2006 242 Off The Rock

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 19:45 #389

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

57chevy;611358 wrote: Doug speaking of upgrades do you have anymore pics of your incab rod holders that you did on "Go Aweigh to" and do you think that would have worked on your 96? from the pic it looks like the holder tube sticks out of the boat or am I looking at it cross eyed?
Thanks again
Bart

Not sure which photos mod you mentioned... "incab"? If they are the tow holes I drilled out above the forward berth, yes, you can do that. I used rod holder rubber inserts to "finish" them and make them look OK...
Just be sure to angle the holes so the poles lean toward the hull and not directly over the dinette table...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 20:39 #390

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

57chevy;611363 wrote: HAHA thanks for making me think, you can tell i'm a newbie at this since I forgot that port is left so for atleast my last two responses everything I said swap 180degrees :oops yes I also list to the port Sarah. thanks for the help :worth

HAH - you Turkey !!!
Newbs,,,,,,,,,man they're everywhere!
:kidding I'm as green as grass also...........and only teasing you.

Keep at it,,,,,,it's lotsa fun!

Sarah

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

Unnamed!

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 21:39 #391

• 57chevy
Thanks Doug yep those are the above v-berth pole holders I was talking about. They will be a great upgrade for me since I usually have about 6 to 8 poles on board and placing them all on the v-berth shelving ends up in a tangled mess even if I take the time to tie them up nice. do you think there is room to comfortably add any more or would adding 3 or 4 start getting into the head room of anybody sitting on the table.

and thanks for not giving this newb to much of a hard time.

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 22:38 #392

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

57chevy;611419 wrote: Thanks Doug yep those are the above v-berth pole holders I was talking about. They will be a great upgrade for me since I usually have about 6 to 8 poles on board and placing them all on the v-berth shelving ends up in a tangled mess even if I take the time to tie them up nice. do you think there is room to comfortably add any more or would adding 3 or 4 start getting into the head room of anybody sitting on the table.

You probably have room for another 2 for a total of four probably. You really have to make sure you cut the holes at an angle so the rods don't compromise the dinette table area. You could probably take the rods apart and that would keep them from sticking in to the back of anyone facing the stern...

As far as being a noob, not a problem, we were all there once... some longer than others... and I also ask new questions all the time as well.

You will find BOC is a pretty friendly place most of the time and very helpful. Those that disrespect are normally hammered pretty fast around here.

BTW, Just assuming you like old Chevy's... I'm a 55-57 Tbird guy but also love old iron no matter what the maker is... but since we are talking boats... I'll drop that line of thought and prefer to save it for PM's (private messages)...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 22:55 #393

• David Meek
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hey Chevy, just to be clear, I was joking with you about the list to port. I tend to kid around a lot.

Doug, I love the old T-birds but my fav of that era is the '60 Vette convertible. Drool, drool.

David
2006 242 Off The Rock

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 23:38 #394

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

57chevy;611419 wrote:

Not yet anyway......:hammer
Stay tuned! ;)

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

Unnamed!

2452 Owners 12 Sep 2011 23:44 #395

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
This is due to prop torque using a right hand prop. This is where the Bennetts will work to level the boat

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

2452 Owners 13 Sep 2011 02:07 #396

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

captharv;611457 wrote: This is due to prop torque using a right hand prop. This is where the Bennetts will work to level the boat

Oh, that's interesting....makes sense.

Have any of you guys had to get to your water pumps?
I'm sure you know that they're under your feets when you're driving.
I need to work on BOTH of them and can't stand teh thought of trying to crawl in there to work.
SO I guess I need an access hole & hatch to get to 'em.
Bayliner wouldn't help me much, do you guys have a plan to get to those pumps?

thanks for ANY thoughts

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

Unnamed!

2452 Owners 13 Sep 2011 16:41 #397

• 57chevy

LazyCrusr;611455 wrote: Not yet anyway......:hammer
Stay tuned! ;)

HaHa thanks :surr

And thanks for the Info Doug I can't wait to get home and start on those upgrades.

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 13 Sep 2011 18:05 #398

• 57chevy

David Meek;611445 wrote: Hey Chevy, just to be clear, I was joking with you about the list to port. I tend to kid around a lot.

Doug, I love the old T-birds but my fav of that era is the '60 Vette convertible. Drool, drool.

I don't think I will ever be able to forgive you my selfesteem is completly ruined :kidding

Haha don't worry I'll be sure to try and return the favor if there's ever a chance or else what fun would we have :hammer

And yep I Love Old steel my 57Chevy sign in is due to a 57chevy stepside I built back in high school that I'm sad to say I don't have anymore. I am finally almost done with my 40X62 shop so here in the next couple of years I plan on making a trip south for another project rig.:D

Howdy Howdy

2452 Owners 13 Sep 2011 19:40 #399

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

57chevy;611671 wrote:
And yep I Love Old steel my 57Chevy sign in is due to a 57chevy stepside I built back in high school that I'm sad to say I don't have anymore. I am finally almost done with my 40X62 shop so here in the next couple of years I plan on making a trip south for another project rig.:D

I have a nice shop now. It's only 38x40 but two stories. First floor 13' and second floor is 10' with a dornered south face. That's my wood working and polishing metal area. First floor as a pit 15x3x5'8" with removable grates I can drive over. My boat fits one side when I remove the radar. I restored a few cars in there but now just mess around a lot with smaller restoration projects, etc. I had a 6 window chevy truck a long time ago...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 13 Sep 2011 19:45 #400

• over40pirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1

LazyCrusr;611500 wrote: Oh, that's interesting....makes sense.

Have any of you guys had to get to your water pumps?
I'm sure you know that they're under your feets when you're driving.
I need to work on BOTH of them and can't stand teh thought of trying to crawl in there to work.
SO I guess I need an access hole & hatch to get to 'em.
Bayliner wouldn't help me much, do you guys have a plan to get to those pumps?

thanks for ANY thoughts

my washout pump is down there and its not working guess I'm going to do just that crawl down there and get it out.

2000 1750 Capri 4banger 130h merc
1995 2452 5.0 merc
1980 270 SD Sea Ray twin 260s Merc
1984 2150 305 Volvo Pinta 280 :arrSold:arr
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds