Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2452 Owners

2452 Owners 01 Oct 2015 12:02 #1901

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
I love your sink design, welldone,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

2452 Owners 01 Oct 2015 13:52 #1902

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Absolutely beautiful... what a way to enjoy every inch of space... You my friend are a master designer and builder... Best looking interior I have ever seen on a 2452 or 2859 for that matter...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 01 Oct 2015 21:36 #1903

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Those upgrades are stupendous!! . . . I give up - YOU WIN!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: . . . . . don't know how long that all took you to do but good job and congrats on all the projects . . . .

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

2452 Owners 01 Oct 2015 22:03 #1904

• downriver4
  • Thank you received: 9
Extremely impressed, outstanding upgrades. I would like to do the walk through transom project.

Jim, Central pa, '98 2452

2452 Owners 03 Oct 2015 03:22 #1905

• Tiderunner
  • 2002 Ciera 2452 XE
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrats Tilj as well.
As mentioned in my recent post in General Boating I was hoping for any helpful feedback from people in shopping for a Ciera 2452 over the winter. Specifically things like changes that seem to have occurred in the 2001 model year and whether before or after a specific year is recommended and what trim levels or optional equipment is really something to look for.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Surrey, B.C.

2452 Owners 03 Oct 2015 03:57 #1906

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242
  • Thank you received: 4

Tiderunner wrote: Congrats Tilj as well.
As mentioned in my recent post in General Boating I was hoping for any helpful feedback from people in shopping for a Ciera 2452 over the winter. Specifically things like changes that seem to have occurred in the 2001 model year and whether before or after a specific year is recommended and what trim levels or optional equipment is really something to look for.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

It was ILGVARS that did that awesome clear cabin door and added a transom door, I merely said I loved the work he did ;-)

I'm also new to the BOC, but I believe that 2001 was the year that the rear of the cockpit changed from a "doghouse" engine bay style with no transom door to a flat floor with transom door. If you do a search of Google images for Bayliner 2452 versus the Bayliner 242 images you'll see what I mean.

2004 242EC 5.7 Merc/Bravo II

2452 Owners 03 Oct 2015 04:44 #1907

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
ILGVARS - What an awesome redesign of the galley! Wow. I'm blown away! Well done!

Serenity
ZME8168
1997 Ciera Express SE 2452
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 03 Oct 2015 05:57 #1908

• garysretired
I like the sink stove combo. Who makes it? :huh:

2452 Owners 03 Oct 2015 20:00 #1909

• Tiderunner
  • 2002 Ciera 2452 XE
  • Thank you received: 0
Opps...brain fart. Sorry guys just realized I had already posted something above and now I can't see a way to delete this message so I'll simply to leave it.

Had posted the following on the General Discussion and then was made aware of this thread and thought it might get more response over here. Appreciate your help.

Myself and the wife grew up on opposite coasts with parents that got us both hooked on the boating lifestyle. I originated in Newfoundland and now live in her hometown of Vancouver where we've had a 19" deep hull Tiderunner cuddy (small defunked company out of Gig Harbour W.A. ) that has served us faithfully with a 150 OB 2 Stroke Merc for the past 6 years. My wife is the one actually pushing me to "go big or go home" and I'm begrudgingly considering something more suitable for overnighting on her planned week long trips up coast she'd like to take up the coast during the summers when she's off room her teaching job. The Ciera 2452 Hardtop appears a great value with a ton for sale and would appreciate anyone's advice on what to steer clear of and also what model years and trim packages are worthwhile. Appears a hull change happened in 2001? Also have seen some LX and XE designations in some adds and walk thru swim platform options etc. Most importantly would be whether a hull design change was significant and was it an improvement or not? Did quality of finishing drastically change at any model year?
Appreciate your help. :)

Surrey, B.C.
Last Edit: by Tiderunner. Reason: Clarification

2452 Owners 04 Oct 2015 00:24 #1910

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242

TilJ wrote: You mean the rock guard? I went and took a look at it and couldn't see any decals or a name or anything like that. It seems to be attached to the trailer frame with a couple of large u-bolts so I suspect it was a 3rd party add-on. Seems to have kept the front of the hull in nice shape.

I took a closer look today and found a company name and phone number (looks to be the Saskatchewan, Canada area code) stamped into the plastic.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2452 Owners 04 Oct 2015 00:31 #1911

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242
Replaced the port side trim tab today with a 12x12DF. Started to look into relocating the ladder in order to do the starboard side and I couldn't figure out how/where to move it to.

The ladder definitely has to move:

But when I checked the bottom, it looks like I can't move it further back due to a reinforcement under the swim platform:

Is my best option getting a different ladder that mounts differently?

Edit: another idea I just had was to put a flat metal bar about 4 inches longer than the ladder mount in between the ladder and the U shaped bracket that is actually attached to the swim grid. That would let me relocate the ladder 4 inches aft while retaining the existing mounting location. Not sure if the off-center mount would be strong enough though ...

This message has attachments images.

Last Edit: by TilJ. Reason: Added an idea

2452 Owners 04 Oct 2015 10:12 #1912

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I wish you would put up a picture from way back of the boat, so we can see what you have.

However i have seen ladders coming off the side of the swim platform, usually starboard.

Or this bracket...

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !
Last Edit: by Chief Alen.

2452 Owners 04 Oct 2015 23:26 #1913

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Anyone with the 2000+ 2452 will have to move the ladder when installing 12x12 tabs... I moved mine back and up against the same center stringer shown in your photos...

In this photo you can see where the new bolts went through the swim step. I used silly putty to match the diamond shape when adding white gel to the older holes from where the swim step use to go through.

This image is hidden for guests.

you can see it clear the new tabs by about 1/ inch...

I do not have bottom up view photos... The mount does butt up against the center stringer...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 02:57 #1914

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Anyone with the 2000+ 2452 will have to move the ladder when installing 12x12 tabs... I moved mine back and up against the same center stringer shown in your photos...

In this photo you can see where the new bolts went through the swim step. I used silly putty to match the diamond shape when adding white gel to the older holes from where the swim step use to go through.

you can see it clear the new tabs by about 1/ inch...

I do not have bottom up view photos... The mount does butt up against the center stringer...

I don't think I have the same swim platform as you? There's no short and curved gap against the transom. Maybe the PO added an after market one? I looked for some manufacturer markings and didn't find any. Here's what mine looks like:

I think I'll have to go with my idea for an approx-2-inch offset stainless steel plate to move the swim ladder aft while retaining the existing mounting location as there's just no room to move the mount aft.

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 03:28 #1915

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242
I've now replaced the speakers (3 of the 4 were blown) with Fusion MS-FR6021 speakers and the ancient Aquatronics stereo with a JVC KD-X31MBS marine unit. I've got all the wiring completed except for one problem: the unit is expecting a non-battery-switch-disabled (i.e. direct to battery with a fuse) power source to maintain the stereo memory. I've spent 5 hours today tracing wiring trying to figure this one out.

The owners manual shows that there's a "stereo memory" line direct to battery:

It says that the colour is "BR-R". When I opened up the battery switch to take a look, it's a red white with a black stripe with a paper label that says "stereo memory" that goes to a fuse labelled "Accessory", and it looks like this:

So far so good. Then I hit a brick wall: at the wiring harness for the old stereo, there is no red-with-black-stripe wire. All the wires are accounted for between speakers and such except for two: solid red, and solid blue (neither has any stripes).

On the old Aquatronics stereo it had a sticker which stated:

I spent some time with a multi-meter on the harness which goes to the stereo. it looks like this:

The red wire appears to be power, but power after the battery switch (i.e. it has no power with the battery switch off and thus the stereo loses it's memory every time the battery switch is turned off). The blue wire never shows voltage no matter way. All the other wires are accounted for between speakers and ground.

What I can't figure out is where the red-with-black-stripe wire (which the battery switch labels as "stereo memory") goes. It doesn't appear to be either the red or the blue wire in the stereo harness, and there are no other wires that I can see behind the stereo.

When I check the multi-meter on the red-with-black-strike in the battery switch, I get 12v even with the battery switch off. And the fuse shows continuity when tested. So the power is making it that far at least. What I can't figure out is where that wire goes from there ... at this point my assumption is that the PO has cut a wire somewhere between the battery switch and the stereo (perhaps to prevent battery drain). But that theory is shaky because there's no red-with-black-stripe in the stereo harness anyway.

Anyone changed out there stereo and could provide some insight? I opened up the dash to see if there was any connections in there where the red-with-black-stripe changed to a blue wire (my assumption since it was the only one in the stereo harness unused and the solid red was switched rather than direct) but couldn't see anything obvious (though I could have easily missed it in the spaghetti).

The next goal is to add a stereo remote unit to the dash, and that'll mean running 2 wires through to the stereo. What's the best passage to get them there?

Last Edit: by TilJ. Reason: Added a line about next goal

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 06:25 #1916

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
I think its the same but with a different bumper strip...

Before the move of the swim ladder:

From the other side which shows the extra strut I added to support the 9.9 kicker...:

extra strut shown here:

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 06:27 #1917

• garysretired
Your old stereo has 9 wires in the connector which are accounted for on the label. The blue wire is power that came out of the stereo when the radio was on to raise a power antenna. It doesn't look like it had a seperate switched ignition input? I have not seen that before. :unsure:

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 07:05 #1918

• ILGVARS
  • Riga ; Latvia
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello . Thank all of you for many good worlds to our boat .

Sink manufacturer is Smev 8821 Hob and Sink Combination Unit .
Price what we paid for it .€164.22
The following user(s) said Thank You: garysretired

ILGVARS
" DREAM CHASER "
1999 BAYLINER CIERA 2452
Hyundai SeasAll S 270 S diesel
BRAVO II X SSP
2016 VOLVO XC 90
www.hct.lv

2452 Owners 05 Oct 2015 12:13 #1919

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
Nice sink set up, the whole boat is just marvelous, fabulous.

I think you did a outstanding job.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

2452 Owners 10 Oct 2015 02:41 #1920

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242

TilJ wrote: I've now replaced the speakers (3 of the 4 were blown) with Fusion MS-FR6021 speakers and the ancient Aquatronics stereo with a JVC KD-X31MBS marine unit. I've got all the wiring completed except for one problem: the unit is expecting a non-battery-switch-disabled (i.e. direct to battery with a fuse) power source to maintain the stereo memory. I've spent 5 hours today tracing wiring trying to figure this one out.

I've now figured this out. Whew!

Turns out that the wiring diagram is correct. However, the wire colours on the sticker of the old stereo were not completely correct ... it wasn't the original stereo or wiring harness! I removed the AC panel and took a look behind.

There was a red-with-black-stripe capped off, with no wire leading to it from the stereo harness, labelled with a "stereo mem" sticker. I checked with the multi-meter and it's getting 12volts even with the battery switch in the off position. I wired that to the yellow power wire on the stereo (via the blue wire in the harness ... confusing, but it made the harness work) and everything works great now. All wires are properly soldered with heat shrink on them and I feel better about the state of the wiring now that all the crimp connections and electrical tape are gone.

Next project is to make a stainless steel plate to move the swim ladder over 3 inches so I can install the other drop fin trim tab. After that is changing over the remaining non-LED cabin lights (liked the first 2 so much I want to do the rest). The admiral is also planning to sew a custom fitted sheet for the v-berth too, so that'll need some measurements made.

This message has an attachment image.

Last Edit: by TilJ.

2452 Owners 11 Oct 2015 22:45 #1921

• Bayliner616
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello All

New to the forum here. Just got done reading all 77 pages worth. Really, really good stuff. Thanks for all the info. I should have taken notes because I think I may forget some of the things I need. Got our 2003 242 this spring. Had Trophy's until now. Wife wanted a little more "living" accommadations (toilet, sink etc). So the 242 looked to fit that need. Now that we have it we are really loving it. It has the 5.7 w/ Bravo II with the Thunderbolt V. We are in Michigan and have the fresh water oceans at our doorstep. Spent most of the summer getting to know the boat with a few short trips testing and checking things. Did several things to the boat over the summer mostly consisting of switching over the fishing equipment from our Trophy. Rod holders, down riggers etc. Now ready to look at some other mods over the winter. Sorry no pictures yet as it is now winterized and covered in my pole barn. I will get some posted though. Thanks for all the great info.

My first question is to TilJ. You mentioned you replaced the light fixtures in your cabin. That is one of the items near the top of my list. I am looking to replace the complete fixture. What did you use and where did you get them.

Thanks for the help

2003 Cierra Classic 242
5.7L Thunderbolt V
Bravo II
17.5" 21P
Lake Michigan, Grand Haven

2452 Owners 12 Oct 2015 19:57 #1922

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242

Bayliner616 wrote: Hello All

New to the forum here. Just got done reading all 77 pages worth. Really, really good stuff. Thanks for all the info. I should have taken notes because I think I may forget some of the things I need. Got our 2003 242 this spring. Had Trophy's until now. Wife wanted a little more "living" accommadations (toilet, sink etc). So the 242 looked to fit that need. Now that we have it we are really loving it. It has the 5.7 w/ Bravo II with the Thunderbolt V. We are in Michigan and have the fresh water oceans at our doorstep. Spent most of the summer getting to know the boat with a few short trips testing and checking things. Did several things to the boat over the summer mostly consisting of switching over the fishing equipment from our Trophy. Rod holders, down riggers etc. Now ready to look at some other mods over the winter. Sorry no pictures yet as it is now winterized and covered in my pole barn. I will get some posted though. Thanks for all the great info.

My first question is to TilJ. You mentioned you replaced the light fixtures in your cabin. That is one of the items near the top of my list. I am looking to replace the complete fixture. What did you use and where did you get them.

Thanks for the help

This thread is a monster, but it's a monster sitting on a hoard of knowledge treasure ;-)

I did two types. First, I ordered the LED bulb replacements mentioned somewhere in this thread off of Ebay. They're on the very very slow boat though, and I got impatient. So I ordered 2 of these for over the dinette: www.sea-dog.com/groups/1845-led-day-night-dome-light

These worked so well that I'm planning to replace the remaining lights with them. The lumens output is MUCH higher, the switches feel much heavier-duty than the original dome lights, and the red night lights are a nice option (it's a 3-position switch). However, they are larger in diameter than the original dome lights and so required a bit more installation work (new mounting holes in the roof). If you don't need/want the red LED option you could probably use a smaller diameter dome housing that still has the same lumens output since only 15 of the 21 LEDs in this model are the white ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayliner616

2452 Owners 24 Oct 2015 22:37 #1923

• TilJ
  • Okanagan 242
Update: I got the ladder moved :-). Got some steel plate, a hacksaw (to cut the plate), and cobalt drill bit. Used the existing mounts as a template for where to drill the holes. Essentially, I just moved all the holes over 1 position and extended it with the steel plate. It now clears the trim tabs when they're fully extended backwards by about an inch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ponch

2452 Owners 28 Oct 2015 15:41 #1924

• Ponch
Was hesitant on getting the 12" tabs after I saw that I would need to move the ladder. I love the simple bracket idea. That is about my skill level!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TilJ

01' 2452: 357mag with Bravo III (Yes B3!) "Fishin' for Ribbon"
85' Steiger Craft "Hunky Dory" 16 with original 25hp Johnson. "ShesGood!"

2452 Owners 29 Oct 2015 11:08 #1925

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
A nice elegant solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TilJ

Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds