Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2452 Owners

2452 Owners 16 Jun 2015 04:27 #1776

• Ian_H
  • Thank you received: 0
To follow up on my steering wheel saga, I finally figured out that the Autohelm had an adaptor collar that increased the diameter of the tapered steering shaft from 3/4" to 1". After applying some penetrating oil and with a few light taps with a hammer, the adaptor collar came off and I now have a 3/4" shaft that my steering wheel will fit. My only problem now was that the Autohelm used a larger key in the shaft so that it would fit through the adaptor collar. However, it is nothing that a little file work will not correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ian
1996 2452 "Katydid"
MerCruiser 5.7
Alpha 1

2452 Owners 16 Jun 2015 04:37 #1777

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
thanks Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452

Serenity
ZME8168
1997 Ciera Express SE 2452
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 21 Jun 2015 19:22 #1778

• Pinnell

Well I have had many many boats threw the years. Grew up on bayliners 18ft cuddly then 2650 and then a 2850 recently my father passed away he had a very nice 2452 with after all the work I have been doing its really one hell of a boat coming from a guy who's last boat was a 26pc formula. So I got this new boat I inherited so here starts the list of the work completed . The engine when I got her was hydro locked from a mechanic screw up on a new manifold install so I had to re power . She came stock with the 5.0 way to little power so I called jasper and dropping in a fresh 5.7 it was actually $500 cheaper. Now I live in south Florida and it's hot need some ac since she did not have any called up RG MARINE and got a new webasto 9000 btu sweet system did the install my self FYI. No one will beat their prices on ac... Next on to navigation I had a complete he's system on my old for,USA with dual screens. So I decide to only use one screen but hook up all my accessories. HD radar, fuel sensor, high res Sonor, true north compas, AIS system, network hub, Sirius weather just about every thing. I also ran a dedicated. Power to this its own electronics bank that is switched with solenoid if that bank drops below 11.5 volts and is tied house system for charger. I also have the deck radio tied in here since I like to have separate salon and cockpit radio systems every thing is mounted under the captains locker . New icom vhf. The old incadeseent. Lights had to go so have replaced all with new fixtures that are 100% LED. the cabin is looks showroom. New so I did not have to do much I did add a command mic to the vhf so that I could get a radio in the cabin. NOW on to the deck seating I was always frustrated. With the stock bayliner captains chairs they did now swivel made no sense . So I searched and searched to find chairs that where root molded and would fit their. Finally. Mueller makes one that fit the bill and did the job also installed 2 basspro shop swivels since they are pvc base and will not rust. Sent the back beach out to recover to match the Cusions exactly of the new deck chairs. The canvas on the back of the hard top is new as well did that in black. This has been a really fun install I have honestly been in every corner of the boat was going to do a windlass but I really do not like how much ro is in the locker to do it correctly with out having rope kicks in the future. I also need to install a inline macerator with y valve install the through hull and I think this will be complete. Oh yea I just order and hour meter for,the new re power and will be sending her out for mirrored cabin window tint and air blue tint in the cockpit area. So if any one needs any info on any of these upgrades let me know that last but not least will be building a bunk bead system over the dinette area for my third so to sleep
I will add some photos soon..

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by Pinnell.

2452 Owners 21 Jun 2015 19:46 #1779

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
A few pictures will be Nice Pinell

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

2452 Owners 25 Jun 2015 11:37 #1780

• TerryW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 102
I thought that I was alone when it came to engineer induced engine distruction. Sounds like you are having a load of fun there.

Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
MMSI 235061726

2452 Owners 26 Jun 2015 17:15 #1781

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Condolences on your loss of your father and congrats on what sounds like a good job upgrading your 2452...

Photos or it did not happen... its the rule here.. :whistle:

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 01 Jul 2015 10:28 #1782

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Sorry for your loss.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

2452 Owners 02 Jul 2015 16:58 #1783

• Randy911
  • Thank you received: 2
I am going to reply here knowing this was an old conversation. I bought my 01 2452 last season and finally found a way to trash my prop which had me switching to the spare. River runnin can be a bit treacherous when it's muddy, and it seems to always be muddy this year.

I run a 350 ThunderBolt, Bravo II with tabs. My old prop was a 17x21 3 blade aluminum. After much time I found I could get on plane very quickly with a little assist from the tabs, and could cruise on plane at 2500rpm at GPS indicated 24mph.

I switched to a 17x19 and found getting on plane no easier, and the same 24mph takes about 2800rpm. The GPS is calibrated but not sure about the tach.

I do not have a fuel use gauge, but i would say it is right in line with the charts I have seen stating 6 to 7 GPH.

I will switch back to the 21 pitch this weekend, $164 poorer.

Question, does this boat need to be running a 17" prop? as it seems many are running 16"

2001 Bayliner 2452
Thunderbolt 350
Bravo II

2452 Owners 02 Jul 2015 17:07 #1784

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418

Randy911 wrote: I am going to reply here knowing this was an old conversation. I bought my 01 2452 last season and finally found a way to trash my prop which had me switching to the spare. River runnin can be a bit treacherous when it's muddy, and it seems to always be muddy this year.

I run a 350 ThunderBolt, Bravo II with tabs. My old prop was a 17x21 3 blade aluminum. After much time I found I could get on plane very quickly with a little assist from the tabs, and could cruise on plane at 2500rpm at GPS indicated 24mph.

I switched to a 17x19 and found getting on plane no easier, and the same 24mph takes about 2800rpm. The GPS is calibrated but not sure about the tach.

I do not have a fuel use gauge, but i would say it is right in line with the charts I have seen stating 6 to 7 GPH.

I will switch back to the 21 pitch this weekend, $164 poorer.

Question, does this boat need to be running a 17" prop? as it seems many are running 16"

16" diameter is often used on an Alpha!
2452 B2 usually swings a 18" X 17"

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

2452 Owners 03 Jul 2015 20:23 #1785

• cebeling
Hey Guys,

My wife and I are owners of a 2004 Bayliner 2452 with the 5.0 alpha one. We read it was a bit under powered but during sea trials and the first 4 trips she popped up to 18knts cruise and up to 25knts (max speed i've had it) without a problem. As this season has progressed its gotten a couple of knts slower each trip time. Now after two weekends of not running her due to foul weather she won't even hold 16 knts. We are in a part of the Chesapeake with low water flow so things grow quickly on the bottom of the boats. Do you think after 1.5 months of sitting enough crap has grown to slower her down this much? After running her today we started the day stuck at 9knts and as we ran her for 45min we got up to 15knts and decided to head back.

She used to plane at 3200 rpm with the max rpm being close to 4300 rpm with a clean bottom (i've never taken it to WOT). Now after a month a half in the slip at WOT we're doing 3800 rpm and 16knts. As speed picks up RPMs pick up.

The motor appears to runs great. Starts right up and runs smoothly. Revs through the RPM sweep with no unusual noises or vibrations. Headers and Risers temp check out with my infrared gun. Motor has 290 hours on her.

Have any suggestions?

Thanks,
cebeling

2452 Owners 03 Jul 2015 20:35 #1786

• Ruffryder
Dirty bottom
The following user(s) said Thank You: cebeling

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2452 Owners 03 Jul 2015 22:16 #1787

• cebeling
that was my gut feeling. dirty bottom should be my boats new name

Last Edit: by cebeling.

2452 Owners 03 Jul 2015 23:06 #1788

• Ruffryder
I like it :cheer:

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2452 Owners 05 Jul 2015 21:19 #1789

• cebeling
Just to follow up. We did a slow ride out to hart and miller island and found tons of barnacles stuck to the bottoms anti-fouling paint.. We scrubbed with course brushes doing the best we could. This quick clean resulted in 3 extra knts which brought us back to planing speed. We decided to move our boat to a newer marina with a dry sail program which should nip this issue in the bud. When its in the stand i'll get the rest of the crud off the bottom.

2452 Owners 06 Jul 2015 03:49 #1790

• Pinnell
So new engine is running great went ahead and replaced the starter. As well has been acting a little strange also had the vessel at the hospital so I went ahead with a full gimbal service. I don't think it had ever been done when I mean top to bottom shifter cable and all.

I wanted to see if any one has installed. A mister system yet on the 2452 being I'm fl would be quite nice

2452 Owners 06 Jul 2015 19:12 #1791

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
. . . mister system? . . . . are we talking about like at a football game for the guys on the bench? . . . never seen one on a boat . . . but doesn't mean it can't be done either . . :whistle:

. . personally, I'd like to make a retractable awning that you could stretch over the whole stern end area . . . . I saw one on a boat that was at the Miami show, I think . . . looked like it had two hydraulic cylinders attached to the side of the cabin that could extend the "canopy" out into the air without having to have all the braces and supports that you might have on a Bimini top . .. thinking of a tarp and two fiberglass poles on springs where their bases are mounted on the swim step out to the sides so they're out of the way . . . :woohoo:

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

2452 Owners 06 Jul 2015 22:25 #1792

• Pinnell
Yea I was at the boat show few weeks ago and allot of the new boats had these we all know how hot them2452 can be

2452 Owners 09 Jul 2015 16:57 #1793

• Nemesis
Hello all!
I've been busy having a blast on my 2452, it does everything I want from a fishing machine, to cruising/overnighting with the admiral, towing tubes around with the grandkids, its just an awesome boat that's perfect for my needs. I've had a couple of issues since I bought her last year that I've been able to resolve fairly easily. The toughest was replacing the shift cable boot bellows that had rotted thru....its amazing how much water pours thru that little hole when that happens!!!! :woohoo: My biggest issue I have still outstanding is the size of the fuel tank that a previous owner put in. I'm guessing the original one from 1997 leaked and he did not want to cut the deck apart to replace it with another 80Gal one, so he put in a 25 (100L). REALLY limits my range between fills. I will want to replace it one day! The other issue is with the low speed wandering. Fishing is not as much fun when you constantly are on the helm correcting your heading! It also cuts into the socializing time when sightseeing around our local islands..... I've read a few discussions in our forum about the drop fin trim tabs, and I also found another potential solution here wanderfin.com/aboutus.sc . Does anyone have any experience with the Wanderfin product? I have the smaller Bennett tabs (I think the are around 7x9?) Do the drop fin tabs correct the wandering or are they more to assist keeping on a plane at lower speeds, and how would they compare against the wanderfin? I love the mods I see on our forums.....just need a bank acct big enough to implement some of them!! Ah well, one boat dollar at a time :lol:

Alan
1997 Bayliner 2452 Cierra
5.7L Alpha 1 gen2
Pioneer Aluminum I Beam Trailer

2452 Owners 09 Jul 2015 17:10 #1794

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Wanderfin will not work with our boats... Others may go into more detail but the drop fins 12x9 tabs are the best bang for the buck. Minimizes wandering, improves staying on plane a much lower rpms (about 200 rpm) and when fully down, helps with backing into slips...

If you do a search for wanderfin on BOC you will see some are fine with it but they are not 2452 owners...

Same goes for "dolfins" on the outdirve... not a good thing to have on our boats...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 09 Jul 2015 18:53 #1795

• Nemesis
Thanks or the tip! will look closer at the drop fins :cheer:

Alan
1997 Bayliner 2452 Cierra
5.7L Alpha 1 gen2
Pioneer Aluminum I Beam Trailer

2452 Owners 09 Jul 2015 19:04 #1796

• louhodg
  • Thank you received: 4
I can verify that when I went from the original 9"x12" tabs to 12"x12" drop fins the wandering decreased, but the more significant change was the reduced time to plane. Recently I added a Blackfin skeg guard www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87651 because the previous owner had taken a few divots out of the Alpha 1 skeg, and I was pleasantly surprised at how this further reduced wander at low speeds. The wander is still present - don't think that'll ever go away with this particular hull/outdrive combo - but it's much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nemesis

2452 Owners 14 Jul 2015 20:08 #1797

• whatadeal
  • Thank you received: 8
Has anyone installed hydraulic steering on their 2452? And if so what system did you go with?

Installed the sport pilot auto pilot system for cable/hydraulic assist a couple years ago and have never been truly happy with how it performs. And upgrading to true hydraulic steering is the only real other option I am aware of.

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton

2452 Owners 14 Jul 2015 21:42 #1798

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158

whatadeal wrote: Has anyone installed hydraulic steering on their 2452? And if so what system did you go with?

Installed the sport pilot auto pilot system for cable/hydraulic assist a couple years ago and have never been truly happy with how it performs. And upgrading to true hydraulic steering is the only real other option I am aware of.[/

Can i ask why you are dissatisfied with your sportpilot?
I have the same setup (sportpilot 5x with ev1 and ACU200) and i am very happy with mine. Just completed a 800km journey with it controlling the boat most of the way,

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.

2452 Owners 15 Jul 2015 08:31 #1799

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Wanderfin will not work with our boats... Others may go into more detail but the drop fins 12x9 tabs are the best bang for the buck. Minimizes wandering, improves staying on plane a much lower rpms (about 200 rpm) and when fully down, helps with backing into slips...

If you do a search for wanderfin on BOC you will see some are fine with it but they are not 2452 owners...

Same goes for "dolfins" on the outdirve... not a good thing to have on our boats...

My new 12x12 fins were delivered this afternoon. Going to install them this Sunday :)

Serenity
ZME8168
1997 Ciera Express SE 2452
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 16 Jul 2015 05:02 #1800

• Ian_H
I am going to replace the Guest 2610 battery charger on our boat as it no longer works. Any suggestions for a 10 amp (minimum) 2 bank battery charger that I can hardwire into the boat and will not break the bank.
Thanks.
Ian

Ian
1996 2452 "Katydid"
MerCruiser 5.7
Alpha 1
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds