TOPIC: 2452 Owners

2452 Owners 16 May 2015 22:51 #1751

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

Dooglas wrote:

Big Ben wrote: Now only about 2 work consistently (lucky for me one is in the head) and the rest you have to wiggle the switch side to side and play with and they might turn on.

Try dielectric grease. I use it on all electrical contacts and bulb/tube bases.

Dielectric does not conduct electricity... You can get tow ready connection grease to stop corrosion and allow the connections to work as required... BTW, it works great on the truck to trailer connections... no more fiddling with the connections...
Tow Ready Grease

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 17 May 2015 07:18 #1752

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
finally home after a long drive ! Now to get a window glazier to replace all the window and windscreen seals and runners, Darn will be on the road for the next 2 weeks so I won't be able to touch anything

Toilet break ! 640km drive!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Serenity
ZME8168
1997 Ciera Express SE 2452
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 17 May 2015 16:40 #1753

• Dooglas
  • Thank you received: 7

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Dielectric does not conduct electricity.

The point of the dielectric grease is to prevent corrosion of the electrical contacts. If it were a conductor, it would short out the connection. The stuff is widely used in switches and light bases on boats, trailers, and motorcycles with good success.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

2452 Owners 30 May 2015 05:48 #1754

• 1G8 Sub Sailor
  • Thank you received: 4
I recently purchased a 2452 and am removing the windlass. I need a replacement anchor locker hatch. If anybody knows of a 2452 that is being parted out or know where I can get a replacement, please let me know. I would rather not have a hatch with a big hole in it.
Thanks in advance.

1994 Bayliner Classic 2452
5.7 MCM Bravo With 4 Bbl Carb.
Bravo II Outdrive
Lowrance Elite 5 GPS Chartplotter/Depth Sounder/Fish Finder
West Marine VHF

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

2452 Owners 31 May 2015 23:47 #1755

• CliffDog
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking to add a windlass to my1996 2452- maybe we can work something out? What is your current set up look like?

2452 Owners 01 Jun 2015 01:54 #1756

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
If you both decide to trade hatch covers, I would suggest the one without the windlass hole to install the hinges to one side instead of the back. This way you can feed the anchor line in and out without a problem... Te cover will lay against the railing when raised...

This message has an attachment image.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 02 Jun 2015 04:00 #1757

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1

parrot fish wrote: finally home after a long drive ! Now to get a window glazier to replace all the window and windscreen seals and runners, Darn will be on the road for the next 2 weeks so I won't be able to touch anything

Toilet break ! 640km drive!

Paying your dues...I got mine in LA and drove it to north of seattle in 36 hours. Glad I did. Love my boat.

2452 Owners 02 Jun 2015 04:46 #1758

• 1G8 Sub Sailor
Hi CliffDog. I'm attaching 3 images of my setup. I know it looks like a Rube Goldberg POS, but that's not the reason I'm switching to a manual windlass. Just don't anchor that much.

This message has attachments images.

Bravo II Outdrive
West Marine VHF

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

2452 Owners 02 Jun 2015 05:57 #1759

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
That set up looks Okay overall... it works... you'll lose some value if or when you ever want to sell it...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 02 Jun 2015 10:22 #1760

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
KPS - well worth the long drive! Still work in progress. I washed the carpets and removed the bilge water the previous weekend. I managed to apply tarp water proofing as well as washed out the toilet bowl this weekend.

Applied Captain Tolly this afternoon, hopefully it has dried before the rain came 2 hours later. :unsure:

To remove and send the the cushion covers to the dry cleaners as well as treat the mildew on the monkey fur next weekend.

Still waiting to do the windows and windscreen seals. I'm enjoying it. There is just so much space in this boat.

Not sure if I wanted to rename her although I do want to. :unsure: :unsure: :dry:

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 02 Jun 2015 12:35 #1761

• 1G8 Sub Sailor
I really doesn't work that well. The small roller in front of the gypsy prevents the anchor from being seated in the bow roller, In addition to that, with the bow roller and windlass being offset the way it is the anchor doesn't align itself. Also, I can't open the hatch. That re-sale value issue is something for me to think about. Thanks for bringing that up. When I do anchor, it's nice to be able to retrieve it from the "comfort" of the cabin.

Bravo II Outdrive
West Marine VHF

2452 Owners 04 Jun 2015 13:23 #1762

• boolean21
hello everyone.
i'm recently bitten by the boating bug... and started looking out for boats...

i went to view a 1990 bayliner 2755 ciera sunbridge and a 1994 bayliner 2452 classic cruiser...

i'm more interested in the 2452 classic cruiser mainly due to a smaller size, as i'm not sure if i really needed something bigger like the 2755.
after reading this thread over the past days... it seems like the 2452 is able to handle well in various sea states due to it's high free board... and i'm glad to hear that.

being a newbie... i'm not sure what to look out for... i'd like to check and seek your advices on the below:

1) the boat is wet berthed, is it normal to see some water in the bilge? or should it be totally dry?

2) owner told me that the engine was recently rebuilt fully, does it mean that it is less likely to have issues with the engine?

3) usually how long do we need to repaint the boat with anti fouling paint if the boat is wet berthed?

4) the tachometer is faulty, would it be a simple fix or is there a chance that the engine is not sending out pulses to the tacho? (i guess need to troubleshoot this to find out the answer, but what are the chances?)

5) what's the lifespan of boats? 1994 is about 21 years old.... :ohmy: ... will it be an issue?

6) i read somethings about fuel tanks in this thread, how do i check if the fuel tank is "ok" ?

7) heard many bad things about inboard/ outboard engines from my boater friends and they strongly discourage me in getting a boat with a inboard/ outboard... is the engine so unreliable? or is it due to higher repair cost if the engine breaks down?

sorry for the many questions!

hope to join in the 2452 family if everything goes well! :)

thanks bros!

2452 Owners 04 Jun 2015 13:49 #1763

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

boolean21 wrote: hello everyone.

i went to view a 1990 bayliner 2755 ciera sunbridge and a 1994 bayliner 2452 classic cruiser...

i'm more interested in the 2452 classic cruiser mainly due to a smaller size, as i'm not sure if i really needed something bigger like the 2755.
after reading this thread over the past days... it seems like the 2452 is able to handle well in various sea states due to it's high free board... and i'm glad to hear that.

being a newbie... i'm not sure what to look out for... i'd like to check and seek your advices on the below:

1) the boat is wet berthed, is it normal to see some water in the bilge? or should it be totally dry?
I seldom see a totally dry bilge...

2) owner told me that the engine was recently rebuilt fully, does it mean that it is less likely to have issues with the engine?
Ask for the paperwork and what was rebuilt. Rebuilt could mean many things. Without paperwork, do not trust...
3) usually how long do we need to repaint the boat with anti fouling paint if the boat is wet berthed?

4) the tachometer is faulty, would it be a simple fix or is there a chance that the engine is not sending out pulses to the tacho? (i guess need to troubleshoot this to find out the answer, but what are the chances?)
Easy fix. See Chief Alen response.

5) what's the lifespan of boats? 1994 is about 21 years old.... :ohmy: ... will it be an issue?
Not if well taken care of. You need to get a survey done. The cost of a survey will pay for itself in the negotiation of the final price. If the owner shys from the idea of having one, then walk away.

6) i read somethings about fuel tanks in this thread, how do i check if the fuel tank is "ok" ?
Pressure test the tank at 3psi. Many local auto shops will let you either borrow a pressure gauge or rent one to you... Or ask you surveyor to do one.

7) heard many bad things about inboard/ outboard engines from my boater friends and they strongly discourage me in getting a boat with a inboard/ outboard... is the engine so unreliable? or is it due to higher repair cost if the engine breaks down?
Engine should not be a problem. What size is it? 5.0 probably. Also how many hours are on the engine. If the owner has not hour meter, make sure the surveyor checks the engine carefully otherwise you may be buying a new engine sooner then later. The outdrives can be good or bad. For this year boat, its probably an Alpha drive which is the least strongest but if properly cared for will last for a very long time...

thanks bros!

Is the boat in salt or fresh water? Bottom paint may last 2 or more years if wet berthed in salt water but still requires cleaning of the bottom each season.

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

2452 Owners 04 Jun 2015 20:28 #1764

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Doug i think misread, tack for speddo.

Check connections at the tack first, easy to access from inside the cabin.

You could probably just leave the starboard furthest snaps in place.

Toggle back and forth the switch marked , 4,6,8.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

2452 Owners 04 Jun 2015 20:46 #1765

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Thanks Chief I did...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 05 Jun 2015 00:52 #1766

• boolean21

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:

boolean21 wrote: hello everyone.

I seldom see a totally dry bilge...
Glad to hear that! :)

Ask for the paperwork and what was rebuilt. Rebuilt could mean many things. Without paperwork, do not trust...
noted! will ask him about the paper works. he did mentioned about changing out almost "everything" but as a newbie, i'm not sure if the list included really everything...

Easy fix. See Chief Alen response.
thanks!

Not if well taken care of. You need to get a survey done. The cost of a survey will pay for itself in the negotiation of the final price. If the owner shys from the idea of having one, then walk away.
really no idea where to get a surveyor... i'll try to google and ask around at the marinas. what's the typical charge to engage the surveyors?
i know everywhere might be different, just want to have a rough idea...

Pressure test the tank at 3psi. Many local auto shops will let you either borrow a pressure gauge or rent one to you... Or ask you surveyor to do one.
hopefully can leave this to the surveyor

Engine should not be a problem. What size is it? 5.0 probably. Also how many hours are on the engine. If the owner has not hour meter, make sure the surveyor checks the engine carefully otherwise you may be buying a new engine sooner then later. The outdrives can be good or bad. For this year boat, its probably an Alpha drive which is the least strongest but if properly cared for will last for a very long time...

if i'm not mistaken, it should be a 5.0, 200hp. owner said it has less than 15hrs since the full rebuild.
how do we check the outdrives? or only the surveyor can determine it?

thanks bros!

Is the boat in salt or fresh water? Bottom paint may last 2 or more years if wet berthed in salt water but still requires cleaning of the bottom each season.

the boat is in salt water.

Chief Alen wrote: Doug i think misread, tack for speddo.

Check connections at the tack first, easy to access from inside the cabin.

You could probably just leave the starboard furthest snaps in place.

Toggle back and forth the switch marked , 4,6,8.

noted the info, thanks!

thanks for the replies Doug and Chief Alen! :)

2452 Owners 07 Jun 2015 18:57 #1767

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I studied at the feet of the master, Doug ...

Working on my own 2452 in my sig, i gained knowledge, and wish i bought one years ago.

Da boss is looking at bigger boats go figure.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

2452 Owners 11 Jun 2015 01:48 #1768

• Blackeyes
  • Born to fish, Forced to work
  • Thank you received: 17
Had a raccoon get into might boat this past weekend, !#$%$@!. I heard something moving around inside and when I looked a closer I saw paw prints going from my out drive up onto the swim platform, through the walk through under the cover and in through the door to the left of the engine cover. Great it's under the floor. Now how to get it out. Well after an hour of irritating the hell out of it, I opened the cover and went away. Sure enough the next moring it was gone. Had to flush out some sh!t, and knowing they like to chew, I tested everything and everything seems to work fine. This got me thinking about the mid ship bilge pump as it is on a float switch. This is an area i don't look into very often but I swear there was a blige pump visable before and now all that is there is the float switch. Was I dreaming or was there not a bilge pump located in this small compartment under the step. If there was I may have to thank my univited varmit for dislodging it. He was in this compartment as there was hair and some chewed black plastic(looked like the corragated wrap protection they run wiring through) from some where. My boat is a 1998. Can someone give me a little advice

1998 Bayliner 2452 Ciera Express, 5.0 L 220 hp
2012 Ram 4 x 4 Big Horn - Hemi
Wardsville On. Ca.

2452 Owners 11 Jun 2015 04:42 #1769

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1
Latest Addition -

Wakeboard Tower - $469 shipped

7'6" Dinghy... $390 shipped

Added fun factor? Priceless.

If I remove 2 bolts, the whole tower pivots over the hard top and is 100% out of the way.

To finish this project, I am going to make my own rear snap on sunbrella cover. Even after that, I should be all in at under $1000..... with a ton of versatility.

And YES... I do plan on wakeboarding behind the boat!... My 17P prop should be perfect for that!

Last Edit: by KPS.

2452 Owners 11 Jun 2015 12:32 #1770

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Very cool idea on the tower edition...

These boats are so versatile for different options...

And yes, I have pulled skiers and floats many many times...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 14 Jun 2015 05:44 #1771

• Ian_H
Since I bought our boat a almost two years ago, I have been slowly making it ours. Today I removed a non-functional SeaTalk Autohelm. To remove it completely I had to remove the steering wheel to remove a control box that was installed on the steering shaft.The steering wheel was attached to the steering shaft which had been lengthened by the control box. However, when I went to re-install the steering wheel I found that the opening is too small to fit on the steering shaft. I am thinking that when the Autohelm was installed a new wheel was installed at the same time. To be sure that I am correct in this assumption and am not doing something wrong can anyone tell me if the steering wheel should fit on the steering shaft as shown in the photo. If I need a new steering wheel what size will fit the steering shaft?

Ian
1996 2452 "Katydid"
MerCruiser 5.7
Alpha 1

2452 Owners 14 Jun 2015 06:50 #1772

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Cool idea putting the inflatable on top of the wake tower.

I can't figure out what is the best options for an inflatable. Questions!
What is the optimum size for 3 or 4 pax?
Fibreglass Aluminum or inflated keel?
Where to keep it while under way, the duck board is 2 1/2 feet wide only and thrre is a 10hp Honda 4 stroke kicker hooked up to it. I don't want to overload or stress the duck board.

Your thoughts? What have ypu done? Cheers

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

2452 Owners 14 Jun 2015 07:28 #1773

• kiwi55
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi there it it looks like the half round in the keyway is sitting wrong way roundan the wheel will go on

2452 Owners 14 Jun 2015 12:54 #1774

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Ian, never had my wheel off but I would think it would be crazy to make a boat owner buy a new steering wheel so they could install the autohelm on it? I checked and my '96 2452 photo also showed a 5 spoke wheel identical to yours... Maybe the key way is larger?

Parrot: you want an inflatable that is 8'6" or smaller (3 adults) unless you intend to use it a lot a 8'6" is easier to handle (99 pounds wood floor model) and lift onto our boats and can be hung off the back of your stern without sticking out either side if mounted on the swim platform.. My suggestion is to get an inflatable keel dink and either an aluminum or solid wood floor. Aluminum is lighter but a few dollars more. I have the wood floor and wish I had the aluminum floor instead. I would not recommend the wood slate floor unless you intend to keep it rolled up and use a 12v air pump to inflate it when you want to use it. I keep my dink hanging in the garage and only use it on long trips where I know I will be anchoring out and need to to the dog on his twice daily walks plus hit the beaches on remote beaches. The inflatable keel allows more control when using a dink motor or the oars.

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 14 Jun 2015 21:28 #1775

• Ian_H
Thank you for the help. The key was in the wrong way however, even with the key installed correctly the steering wheel will not fit. I believe the wheel is too small. The tapered shaft on the Autohelm is 3/4" at the widest point tapering down to 5/8" at the end, while shaft I have now is 1" at the widest point and tapers down to 3/4" at the end. When I look on line I see most wheels have a 3/4" taper. Can anyone tell me if the 3/4" is the size of the smallest end or the largest?
Thanks.
Ian

Ian
1996 2452 "Katydid"
MerCruiser 5.7
Alpha 1
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.839 seconds