Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2452 Owners

2452 Owners 29 Oct 2014 02:53 #1476

• KPS
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been out a few times lately, but it has been pretty stormy lately.

In the storms I found that I had not sealed the guilty leak. Thought it was the hand rail bases, but alas, it was that the caulking on the rub rail were leaking on the port side. My neighbor and I pulled about 8ft of the rub rail, re-caulked it, and reinstalled. Big rain last night, and it appears to have stopped the leak. I had used a bunch of Tolley on the rail bases, and thought I had resolved the issue, so if you did the same and still find a leak, check the rub rail.

Just ordered a San Juan fresh water cooling kit. Should have it this weekend and hopefully will get it installed this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2452 Owners 03 Nov 2014 18:07 #1477

• Back2Water
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Everyone - I'm looking at potentially upgrading this winter from my little 20ft explorer to a 2452. I've done some research, but still have some questions and am looking for a little advice.

First, a little background: We use our current boat (and will be using this boat) mainly as a means to get from point A to point B up in the San Juans. We store the boat on a trailer and put in at Washington Park in Anacortes and then usually do Anacortes to Roche or outer islands (1.5 hr each-way commutes) for long weekends. Usually this will be in the 6-8 person range with light weekend gear. My wife, plus a kid or 2 and myself may stay on the boat (already planning on the piano-hinge dinette seat project), or we may just keep doing what we are currently doing and join any friends or family who are with us either camping or staying at a hotel at our destination. Quite literally, beyond sleeping and commuting we aren't on the boat, so cooking and lawn chairs out on the deck aren't important to us.

With that in mind, I have read about the upgrades after the 2001.5 model, which sound great, however, I also noted that this comes with ~827 extra pounds in dry weight. The 5.7 (250 hp minimum) with 12x12 tabs are a necessity for me, but given that I am really going to just be using the boat as a commuter/bunk house, what would be your suggestion: would I be better off going with an older style and saving some $ and the 800 extra pounds, or are the various upgrades in the 2001.5+ boats more important. (and if the 2001.5+ is a necessity, will the 5.7 give me the performance that I need to get on a plane without jockeying people and pushing the motor harder than I should to maintain cruising speeds - I would guess total running weight of ~7,500 lbs with the later models)

My second question is in regards to the common leak problems. I've read about potential for the leaky windows, leaky front hatch, leaky hull/deck joint and leaky handrail bases, but I wasn't clear on whether these problems exist for all models, or are some problems associated with earlier years and other problems associated with later years? Any clarification you could provide would be very helpful!

Finally, does anyone know the total height of a 2452 off of a trailer?

Thanks in advance!!

David W. PDX, OR
2002 Bayliner 2452XE Ciera
5.0L Mercruiser (carbed) w/ A1 gen 2 drive
(14.5"x15" 4-blade Solas Aluminum Prop)
1984 2070 Explorer w/ Alaskan Bulkhead (SOLD)

2452 Owners 03 Nov 2014 18:41 #1478

• KPS
I can't answer all of the questions, but I will say that the 2001.5 (which I have) feels like a bigger boat than the older model. The cockpit is very roomy with lots of head room. The dash is huge.

I have a 5.7 Bravo 2 with a 19" 17P prop, and it had more than enough power to get up on plane with 5 adults and 3 kids ( 10-15 seconds to hop up on plane). I had previously tried a 5.0/alpha older generation 2452 with 3 adults and 2 kids and it took plenty of time to get on plane and the engine had to work very hard to stay there. ( 1 minute + to get up on plane)

On a trailer, my boat stands about 13' 3" from the top of the radar dome. Not sure about how tall it is in the water but its taller than the older model.

I am still chasing down leaks.... but don't think it is the hand rail base.... Its either the rub rail, or possibly the window. Rub rail is my best guess right now.... but with the 1" of rain per day we are getting.... it is really testing my attempted repairs.

2452 Owners 03 Nov 2014 22:16 #1479

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
David, height of the boat on a trailer depends on the trailer. I have a Venture aluminum trailer and my boat with radar on top sits at 12'3". On my King Saltwater she was at 12'6". The King was a roller and the Venture is a bunk...

As far as leaks, most common at the hand rails on top of the cabin and around stanchions at base of forward rails, under the bow lights and sometimes around the front cabin window. Don't worry about the extra 800 pounds and go with a 5.7. It will need to work less then a 5.0 and statistically, last longer then the smaller 5.0. Actually, you should experience better fuel economy with the 5.7.... If you want to talk, call me at 253-857-four 756.

Capt Tolly crack seal fixed my hand rail leaks. On my boat, that was the only place it leaked...

I would also encourage you to join the local PNW club... IBoatNW.com

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 03 Nov 2014 22:33 #1480

• KPS
Ok... so with the big rain we are getting, I am finding that I haven't fixed the leak. Good thing I have been keeping my eye on this.

I have used a whole bottle of Tolly... and I am 99% sure the rail mounts are not the issue..... It doesn't appear to be coming through the vent hatch..

So that leaves the rub rail..

But here is the interesting thing. We took a 10ft section of the rub rail off and recaulked the inside and top of the rub rail.....

Today I pulled the rat fur back and sure enough it seems to be coming from the rail area.

Short of pulling the entire rub rail, and reinstalling and re caulking the entire port side of the boat, are there any other ideas?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by KPS. Reason: adding picture

2452 Owners 03 Nov 2014 23:45 #1481

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

KPS wrote: Ok... so with the big rain we are getting, I am finding that I haven't fixed the leak. Good thing I have been keeping my eye on this.

I have used a whole bottle of Tolly... and I am 99% sure the rail mounts are not the issue..... It doesn't appear to be coming through the vent hatch..

So that leaves the rub rail..

But here is the interesting thing. We took a 10ft section of the rub rail off and recaulked the inside and top of the rub rail.....

Today I pulled the rat fur back and sure enough it seems to be coming from the rail area.

Short of pulling the entire rub rail, and reinstalling and re caulking the entire port side of the boat, are there any other ideas?

Yes, unscrew the stanchion mounts and add more chalk to the base of each screw. That should stop the rest of the leaks... I took off my rub rail in the summer a few years back as it was easier to control, bend it and rechalked mine as well. The stanchions are suspect based on your photos. The other possibility is the windshield wiper if you have one on the pax (port) side...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

2452 Owners 04 Nov 2014 18:54 #1482

• Back2Water
Thanks for your input, gentlemen!

Andy - was your planing with or without the use of trim tabs and have you upgraded to the 12x12 tabs yet?

Doug - I appreciate your willingness to chat - I will give you a call this afternoon after work! Also, I've joined and been a member of iboatnw for quite some time - just haven't posted there yet! Do you have a suggestion on topics that would be better suited on that forum vs. BOC? I don't like overposting on multiple forums. I'm a rifleman rather than a shotgunner ;)

Thanks again,

DW

David W. PDX, OR

2452 Owners 04 Nov 2014 18:56 #1483

• KPS
That is with stock trim tabs.... I think it would hop up without them.... but even the stock tabs help a bunch.

I'll be adding the extended tabs soon... Just need to budget my priorities. Last month it was the expensive fresh water cooling kit that took my budget, but was my #1 priority.

2452 Owners 04 Nov 2014 21:06 #1484

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
David, we are going to the movies today. We do this almost every Tuesday... Movie date day we call it... Do the matinee and will not be home till after 6 or 7PM...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 05 Dec 2014 23:16 #1485

• KPS
So the Freshwater cooling kit is in, but I haven't had it out in the water since its install. That's because it has been either freezing cold, or super windy.... and the salmon fishing was closed up here.

Now that its december 1, I have 2 projects I need to do before I get out there for winter blackmouth fishing.

1. Install a heater in the boat that is connected to the freshwater cooling system.

My question is where do most of you have heaters, and did you just drill holes in the bulkhead to run the 5/8" hose? I am thinking of putting it under the steps (seems to be plenty of room) and if drilling through the bulkhead is kosher.... will make a relatively easy install.

2. Install 3 Electric Downriggers. ( Cannon Digitrolls).... and an Electric pot puller. I ordered an extra Cannon base so that I can have 4 "universal" mounts that will support either a downrigger or pot puller.... but does anyone have any experience on mounting downrigger mounts onto the gunnel? I'll be swinging 15lb balls, so I am looking for the most sturdy way to mount. I am assuming throughbolting is going to be the best call, but am open to other ideas. I want to do it once the right way, and make the plates a permanant part of the boat.

PS... I resealed the front windows, re-did the rub rail caulking allowing for a bottom drain (which had not been the case before), and I am happy to report the boat is dry as a bone now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Koppers Kove

2452 Owners 08 Dec 2014 06:03 #1486

• Matlow
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi all have been busy at work and chasing a leak in the cockpit that got a lot worse after a recent radar/GPS/plotter (better stop listing stuff in case the Admiral reads this....) install.

Finally resorted to separating the deck head from the roof (or that was my plan...) as the grab handles were kind of loose. Make a long short, I removed the rubber strip in the trim around the outside of the upper cockpit, took off the dozens of screws holding the aluminum trim on and ran a large blade Olfa around the trim. Both sections came off easy and all that was left were 8 screws that the factory installed to line up the lower and upper roof sections.

Try as I might I cannot get the inner and outer roof sections to come apart to get at the grab handle fasteners. So resorted to sticking 1 x 3 inch slats in between the fiberglass panels all the way around and lifting as hard as I could until I got a 2 x 4 wedged in and could really give a tweak to the setup. Turned the 1x3's on edge and realized Bayliner had wisely put adhesive in there at assembly to stop rattling and vibration issues but effectively bonded the two roof pieces together just behind the access hatch in the deckhead. No drama just had to work in the small gap I created with the 1x3's. I undid the fasteners on the hand rails and pulled them off only to realize I needed to re-cut the threads on the studs. Seems that the Bayliner folks assembled the roof and cut the grab handle stud's extra length part way through with a zip cut and just bent the extra length off. That of course pooches the threads up and one cannot get the new nyloc nuts on to the studs. Anyway resealed the grab handles with life seal and put a couple of heaters in the gap created at the front of the roof and let them sit for a couple of days with a tarp over the whole thing. Once it was dried out pulled all the wood pieces and put it back together. Did find a 12 volt power wire and ground that Bayliner conveniently buried in the deckhead but I didn't know about. Oh and I took the opportunity to run some snazzy new LED lights that I mounted aft to light up the rear deck area.

Pics of the process are attached and I am happy to report that despite the monsoons we had in the PNW over the past month cockpit is dry except for the libations I am enjoying while replacing my cooktop, stereo, speakers.... D'oh! I better quit while I am ahead, Admiral has already seen the downriggers and pot puller on the berth and yes all wiring is updated and they are ready to fish.

Anyway not too bad a job but would be much easier for someone with smaller hands and wrists to reach inside the deckhead. Oh and getting the old silicone off was a PITA but the stuff in the pic helped to soften up the remnants and made it much easier to scrape off.

In hind sight the only thing I would have done different was to install large SS fender washers before I put the nuts on the grab rails again. Oh well it was sunny and rain was forecast for the morning and it was too late to buy them that day anyway.

Hope this helps someone if they are chasing a leak in the cockpit or their grab rails are loose.

Happy sailing (sorry East Coasters and Lake Folks) heading out to grab some prawns next weekend,

Dave on the Best Coast :evil:

This message has attachments images.

'02 2452 Cierra
5.7 Bravo 2,
2003 Yamaha 9.9 EXRB
all on a 2013 Road Runner 6500lb Bunk trailer.
Last Edit: by Matlow.

2452 Owners 30 Dec 2014 01:40 #1487

• KPS
I have had a busy month installing upgrades on the boat, but the bottom line is that the deck has been bloodied!

To help lure those fish into the boat, I installed 3 Cannon Digitroll 10's, redid the vinyl windows on the boat, and just today added the 12x12 Drop Fin Trim Tabs. Also added an EZ steer system for kicker steering and got the freshwater cooling heater working.

Tomorrow the high is supposed to be in the low 30's here, but we are planning on going out in the San Juans and spending the night at Friday Harbor.

I would never have considered that with our old boat.

Last Edit: by KPS.

2452 Owners 30 Dec 2014 15:50 #1488

• Nemesis
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice looking fish! I am interested in hearing how your new drop fin tabs work. About the only irritating thing I can say about my 2452 is its tendancy to wander all over the place when off a plane. Keep us posted!

Alan
1997 Bayliner 2452 Cierra
5.7L Alpha 1 gen2
Pioneer Aluminum I Beam Trailer

2452 Owners 15 Jan 2015 02:06 #1489

• over40pirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well its been 2 long years since the boats been in the water and the admiral says splash it or sell it. So splash it is. I got one little leak I need help with. There are 4 little holes in my rain rail around the top just about where the window ends and you clime aboard on the port side. This has allowed water to travel under the top and in to and eventually on to the admirals seat (not good) right where the wood meets the top it has rotted. ? is are those holes OEM or someone else. Where does the water exit the rain rail. And should I replace all the wood on that side or just piece the rotted part. :(

2000 1750 Capri 4banger 130h merc
1995 2452 5.0 merc
1980 270 SD Sea Ray twin 260s Merc
1984 2150 305 Volvo Pinta 280 :arrSold:arr
Last Edit: by over40pirate.

2452 Owners 15 Jan 2015 06:10 #1490

• over40pirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

mwjw5461 wrote: Get our new boat on Fri.(5/27)...can't wait!!!! Looks like a great group, sure I will have many questions.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwjw/sets/72157633491432259/

Saw in your pics what look to be high bucket seats are those OEM or after market

1995 2452 5.0 merc

2452 Owners 15 Jan 2015 14:17 #1491

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Can you post pictures of the wood rot and leak area? I am not aware of wood in the top...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 15 Jan 2015 23:02 #1492

• over40pirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Can you post pictures of the wood rot and leak area? I am not aware of wood in the top...

Sure

1995 2452 5.0 merc
Last Edit: by over40pirate.

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 02:28 #1493

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
You will have to replace the wood under the top for sure. Pretty easy to use the other side as a template but may be a problem finding same color vinyl. To prevent more water damage, I would suggest you drill holes on the underside of the top outside both the port and stbd windows... I drilled 5 on either side and that allows any water to run outside the cockpit. Your handles on top of the cockpit need to be sealed with Capt Tolly Crack Seal...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 02:42 #1494

• Schmieler
  • Thank you received: 0
:) Hi! I have a 2000 2452. I'm really interested in the way you have your Johnson 9.9 kicker mounted. Can you please tell me about it? How is it steered? How is it fueled? How is it started? Whose mount is it? Did you have to modify the swim platform?

Thanks!

Chuck

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 04:18 #1495

• over40pirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: You will have to replace the wood under the top for sure. Pretty easy to use the other side as a template but may be a problem finding same color vinyl. To prevent more water damage, I would suggest you drill holes on the underside of the top outside both the port and stbd windows... I drilled 5 on either side and that allows any water to run outside the cockpit. Your handles on top of the cockpit need to be sealed with Capt Tolly Crack Seal...

Are you talking in the top itself or the rain rail at the windows

1995 2452 5.0 merc

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 17:07 #1496

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Underside of the top near the outer edge. I will take a photo and post what I mean this PM for you... It only needs 1/8" drill bit

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 22:21 #1497

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Photo of pax side looking up from ground level under boat cover. Note staining of water from one of the holes...

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: over40pirate

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 23:01 #1498

• Back2Water
Hi everyone -

I need some opinions here. I have the opportunity to pick up a 2002 2452 with the 5.0 mercruiser/alpha one combo for a good price. When I boat, I take the whole family plus kids, so I haul a heavy load and I know that the 5.0 won't do for me. With that being said, I actually have a 5.7 vortec engine sitting in my shop, so I could very easily swap it in at no real cost. My only concern lies with the alpha drive. Does anybody have experience in running a late model (heavier) 2452 with a 5.7 and the alpha combo? I anticipate I will be running 7,000+/- 500 lbs. fully loaded. Will it last for me?

As always, THANK YOU in advance!

David W. PDX, OR
Last Edit: by Back2Water.

2452 Owners 16 Jan 2015 23:44 #1499

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Many of us have that 5.7/A1G2 set up even on heavier boats!
A1G2 will be fine...gear ratio should be the same for both engines 1.47
GL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Back2Water

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2452 Owners 17 Jan 2015 00:03 #1500

• Obi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158

Back2Water wrote: Hi everyone -

I need some opinions here. I have the opportunity to pick up a 2002 2452 with the 5.0 mercruiser/alpha one combo for a good price. When I boat, I take the whole family plus kids, so I haul a heavy load and I know that the 5.0 won't do for me. With that being said, I actually have a 5.7 vortec engine sitting in my shop, so I could very easily swap it in at no real cost. My only concern lies with the alpha drive. Does anybody have experience in running a late model (heavier) 2452 with a 5.7 and the alpha combo? I anticipate I will be running 7,000+/- 500 lbs. fully loaded. Will it last for me?

As always, THANK YOU in advance!

I will assume that it depends on how large your family is, i have the 5.0 engine and i have no problems with my wife and our 2 kids on board.

Bayliner 242 EU (2006)
5.0 L Mercruiser , Alpha I gen II .
Raw water cooling.
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds