Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup:

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 02:21 #1

• MajorWaves
  • MajorWaves's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, just found this place while looking for information on this.
Hoping one of you could give me some advice.

Im currently living (and constantly working on) an '87 bayliner 3270, and im having some serious problems with the electrical system,
specifically the house batteries. If I have too many lights on at any point, or run the pump with too many lights on, the whole system will drain the batteries and cut out, sometimes leaving me to juggle around the switches and figure out which light was left on, wait for it to recharge enough to turn on again and then have it happen all over again, its driving me mad. :angry:

The attached pictures show the current setup, which is awful. Im trying to make it work while I save to upgrade the charger to an inline pronautic 1230p 30 amp and two optima batteries to fix this up so i can have constant power again.

imgur.com/a/i3p10

What are you all using for your current house battery setup? Would you recommend what Im planning on upgrading to? Is there something obvious Im doing wrong here?
Thanks for any advice youre able to give.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by MajorWaves.

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 03:24 #2

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
The factory provided one group 27 for the house. That's not much power if you follow the rules and never discharge below 50%. A group 27 is105 amps so 50% won't run the fridge much beyond overnight. A couple of golf cart batteries would double that, but the more battery you have, the more powerful charger is needed. A 30 amp charger is light.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 03:44 #3

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
Start switching out to led lights. They require less power. Sounds like you have something wrong though, the 32xx came with minimal electric stuff which should not be taxing the battery. Do you have ancient electronics running? (Old radar, etc)
How much stuff do you have on?

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 03:51 #4

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
Are the batteries fairly old? Could be they just can't keep up. Have you looked for a weak/corroded negative connection at the negative bus?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 04:06 #5

• MajorWaves
  • MajorWaves's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Uncle Bob wrote: The factory provided one group 27 for the house. That's not much power if you follow the rules and never discharge below 50%. A group 27 is105 amps so 50% won't run the fridge much beyond overnight. A couple of golf cart batteries would double that, but the more battery you have, the more powerful charger is needed. A 30 amp charger is light.

This is very likely part of the problem, the charger the previous owner was using was a Promarine Powersport 20, at 20 amps. Id like to get something heavy duty enough to where I wont have to worry about it, what amp charger would you recommend? Would 40 be enough?

green650 wrote: Start switching out to led lights. They require less power. Sounds like you have something wrong though, the 32xx came with minimal electric stuff which should not be taxing the battery. Do you have ancient electronics running? (Old radar, etc)
How much stuff do you have on?

Good suggestion, all of the interior lighting is stock, LED lights could save me a lot of power draw, might help with the constant flickering Im getting as well.
Most of the time right now, im tied up and connected to shore power, most of the time running just one or two sets of lights, more than that and the power cuts out completely. Sometimes it can handle running the water pump and two light sets, but thats usually the max. The previous owner had the damn charger set up so a the power cord ran outside of the boat and back in through the window :lol:, not an ideal setup.

builderdude wrote: Are the batteries fairly old? Could be they just can't keep up. Have you looked for a weak/corroded negative connection at the negative bus?

Good suggestion, two of the batteries are supposedly pretty new, so this shouldnt be an issue, right? Ill take a better look at the connections tomorrow regardless, thanks.

Last Edit: by MajorWaves.

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 13:12 #6

• Sunbird
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 23
It would be prudent to load test all your battery's to see if they are good or just marginal. This can be done at the boat with a load tester or most auto centers will test them for free. I would get a 3 bank 60 amp charger. It does not raise the price that much.
Here's a link to get LED replacement lights- The prices are very good but they come out of China so it takes a couple weeks. You can find bulbs for all style lights. Most of your are probably 1156 bulbs.
www.lightinthebox.com/index.php?main_pag...ulb+led&prm=1.5.25.0

Gibraltar, Mi.
1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
34' Tollycraft- sold
88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 15:26 #7

• diveguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • St.Margarets Bay, NS
  • Thank you received: 166
Dhgate.com is another site for direct orders from China. They have all types of LEDs to retro fit existing fixtures.

As for battery suggestions I have a large 8d for my house load. It's not a true deep cycle but suits our needs for overnighters. As you're living on the boat, the ah provided by deep cycle golf cart batteries would be a better option.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 17:41 #8

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
Are you running an extension cord to your boat to power the charger?
A boat should have a permanently mounted charger that is wired to the shore power box.
And you definitely need a new battery if it cant support a few light bulbs.
Are you able to even start the boat?

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 03 Oct 2017 20:18 #9

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Single Gp 27 for start - not a problem
I'm running qty 2, gp 31's for house (just up'd from Gp 27's) - so far so good, only dropping to approx 88% capacity after a full night of fridge on and Planar diesel heater running
40A charger too small - I put in the ProMariner 1260 (60A) and am loving it
Add a battery monitor - I used Victron Energy - love it, I know exactly where I am for power
Switch to LED lights - you'll never look back
Norcold fridge is a power pig - switch to a Nova-cool (drop in replacement if you order the adapter kit)

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

Looking for advice on 3270 house battery setup: 07 Oct 2017 18:24 #10

• lhighland
  • Thank you received: 24
I sent you a PM (Private Message).

100T MMC 2307794
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds