Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turbocharger test

Turbocharger test 28 Sep 2017 15:46 #1

• scubadiver#3988
  • scubadiver#3988's Avatar Topic Author
  • 1997 #3988
  • Thank you received: 1
I moved the boat from Monterey to San Rafael. I brought the engines up to 2400 rpms and ran for 3 hrs. No problems. Out of no where the port engine decided to slow to 1900 rpms. The water temp was fine, the oil pressure was fine and the air intake appeared to be fine. I wasn't sure why so I slowed the starboard to 1900. About 2 hrs later the port engine slowed to 1500 rpms on it's own. All gauges showed fine. I slowed the starboard to 1500 and limped to the dock.
My only guess is the 20 year old turbocharger. The turbocharger was not making any unusual noises bu I could not tell if it was working.
Question - is there a way to test the turbocharger?
If I chose replacement, is replacement simple or does the new unit require special tools, adjustments, calibration, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turbocharger test 28 Sep 2017 16:20 #2

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
You can install a mechanical boost gauge to see how much boost it is producing. Also, you can remove the inlet hose and test the shaft play of the turbine to see how worn out it is.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Turbocharger test 28 Sep 2017 17:10 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 962

scubadiver#3988 wrote: I moved the boat from Monterey to San Rafael. I brought the engines up to 2400 rpms and ran for 3 hrs. No problems. Out of no where the port engine decided to slow to 1900 rpms. The water temp was fine, the oil pressure was fine and the air intake appeared to be fine. I wasn't sure why so I slowed the starboard to 1900. About 2 hrs later the port engine slowed to 1500 rpms on it's own. All gauges showed fine. I slowed the starboard to 1500 and limped to the dock.
My only guess is the 20 year old turbocharger. The turbocharger was not making any unusual noises bu I could not tell if it was working.
Question - is there a way to test the turbocharger?
If I chose replacement, is replacement simple or does the new unit require special tools, adjustments, calibration, etc.

You do not say which engines you have????
The answer to your turbo question(s)....

Static - You can carefully check the turbo compressor (intake side) for interference with the housing and for axial and radial play. take off the air cleaner and lightly rotate the compressor wheel looking for high spots or for 'touching' of the housing. Also lightly push it up and down(radial) and then in and out ail and look for movement if you do not have a dial indicator the in and out should be barely detectable but may have a very small 'click' feel and the up and down should be almost imperceptible. If you have a dial indicator the axial play would be best under 0.005” and the radial at 0.003” but they will run OK higher than that.

Dynamic – Put a low reading pressure gage on the output side of the turbo (intake manifold is typical) and bring the engine up to WOT gingerly in neutral (high idle) the boost should read in the area of 2-3 si at high idle. If you have the ability to check the boost in gear readings of 8-12 psi at 2300-2500 are typical and maybe 18-20 at WOT dependent upon rpm and loading.

To answer the question you did not ask – the problems you describe sound like a fuel deprivation issues with potentially blocked filters, bent hose, blocked vent or perhaps a poor lift pump.
Hope this helps

Northport NY

Turbocharger test 28 Sep 2017 17:18 #4

• vinomaker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 83
From the symptoms I would first replace the fuel filters.

Cheers!
Vinomaker
Jerome Robbins
Rear Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club
Anacortes, WA
2001 Bayliner 4788
Twin 370 Cummins
1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 454 V8-7.4L
1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Turbocharger test 28 Sep 2017 20:03 #5

• p91473
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
If the turbo failed it would be rare to not to see a ton of black smoke. Fuel filters like above.

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

Turbocharger test 29 Sep 2017 03:26 #6

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
I had a similar experience on my 4588 a few years ago. I was at cruise for several hours when I "lost power". I scratched my head for a few minutes to realize I hadn't changed the fuel filters in a couple years. As such I quickly installed a new set of filters I had on board in the middle of the water. As soon as I started her back up, I knew I was in business. I regained the power and off I went to the rest of my trip without another issue. I would suggest you change/clean your fuel filters. I would bet you'll be surprised.

Good luck,
BJ
OMEGA

Last Edit: by igiftmon.

Turbocharger test: update 29 Sep 2017 16:54 #7

• scubadiver#3988
  • 1997 #3988
Major fauxpas no my part. Lack of sleep. I had so much black smoke coming out of the port engine I thought I started an ocean forest fire. When the engine slowed to 1500 the smoke went away.
This morning I removed the air filter and turned the turbo fan blade. It moves up and down with plenty of play. I didn't think of pulling it in/out.

Turbocharger test: update 29 Sep 2017 17:08 #8

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 962

scubadiver#3988 wrote: Major fauxpas no my part. Lack of sleep. I had so much black smoke coming out of the port engine I thought I started an ocean forest fire. When the engine slowed to 1500 the smoke went away.
This morning I removed the air filter and turned the turbo fan blade. It moves up and down with plenty of play. I didn't think of pulling it in/out.

Sounds like you have a culprit.
If there is evidence of the compressor vanes hitting the housing you know for sure - or a high spot as you carefully spin it.
If there is evidence of vanes missing and broken do nit run the engine.
I cannot see that well in the turbo inlet so I use a digital camera to take a picture and blow it up for details.

You still did not mention which engines you have but the first drop in rpm you experienced was likely the governor sensing the drop in boost (aneroid) and dropping fuel flow.

Northport NY

Turbocharger test: update 29 Sep 2017 20:19 #9

• scubadiver#3988
  • 1997 #3988
Sorry, 1997 Cummins 315 6BTD

Turbocharger test: update 30 Sep 2017 01:40 #10

• scubadiver#3988
  • 1997 #3988
Will a new turbocharger require special tools for installation, adjustments, calibration, etc.?

Turbocharger test 30 Sep 2017 13:34 #11

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
No special wrenches needed I have changed one in a couple of hours. The steel gasket on the exhaust side is directional and can be reused but ordering all new gaskets is a good thing if you are doing the job. Seaboard Marine in Oxnard CA will have all the parts you need. Call them with your engine serial number.
He may also have a used or rebuilt one in stock.

www.sbmar.com/product-category/engine-co...turbochargers-parts/

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard
Last Edit: by The Other Gary.

Turbocharger test 30 Sep 2017 15:24 #12

• rogerkarenorth
  • Thank you received: 12
Interesting parallel, we were running at 2400 across Queen Charlotte Strait when one engine slowed to about 2000 with tons of black smoke (315 Cummins). I reduced the rpm to 1500, smoke quit. All gauges seemed to be ok, so I sped back up after a couple minutes and everything was back to normal for the remainder of the summer (another 100 hrs. of running). I was guessing a fuel blockage at the pickup or in the line, that passed into the filter (I had previously gotten bad fuel and cleaned the opposite tank a year ago, when globs of congealed fuel blocked both primary 30 micron and engine filter). I did not clean this tank because I did not find any globs of crud on the filter, however there may have been a few globs of crud that got into this tank. I ran this summer using 10 micron primary filters and the vacuum gauges between the primary filters and engine always read below 2-4 pounds when I checked (I wish the gauges had a tell-tail resettable needle).

I was also guessing the black smoke caused by inadequate air (no turbo boost) during the event, but never suspected failed turbo that recovered and ran the remainder of the summer. Maybe I should check the turbo play just to be sure.

1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
Pacific NW

Turbocharger test 05 Oct 2017 20:34 #13

• rltorson
  • Thank you received: 6
Sounds to me like a clogged fuel filter.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds