Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 27 Sep 2017 22:32 #1

• Skippmetzger
  • Skippmetzger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to know how one goes about filling a horizontal propane tank on a 3388-Baylliner. The tank is located on the flying bridge. Are there any pictures of this proces?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Skippmetzger.

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 27 Sep 2017 23:05 #2

• Uncle Bob
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
You take it to the same place as any other tank. One issue is many fill spots don't recognize the tank and some refuse to fill. I carried internet filling info to show them, but eventually determined having two 10 lb tanks made more sense in a few ways.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 27 Sep 2017 23:14 #3

• p91473
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
You have to take it off the boat to get it filled. Any fill station near a Marina should be familiar with the larger tanks for filling.

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 27 Sep 2017 23:30 #4

• ketadog
Yes, I took mine to a fill station that was near my marina and they said "no" because it was not recognized by DOT (land based). Proceeded to take it to a RV dealer that was just up the street not too far and they filled it without a problem. It may be hit and miss but keep trying!

Keith
1986 3270, twin 110 Hinos
Olympia, WA

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 27 Sep 2017 23:57 #5

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Not sure where you live (US vs Canada) however, see this thread I started a while back. Depending upon the tank and where you're located you might have a problem getting it filled. The thread has the current rules and regs:

www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...d-today?limitstart=0

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 28 Sep 2017 03:15 #6

• hodaka
  • 1996 Bayliner 3388, Cummins 150hp, Seattle, WA
  • Thank you received: 2
+1 on tenmile’s excellent recommendation. Had this Q myself some time ago. See thread in tenmile’s post. Be persistent and good luck.

1996 Bayliner 3388, Cummins 150 hp engines

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 29 Sep 2017 17:09 #7

• knucklebustr
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been taking my horizontal tanks to Viper Fuels in Chemainus for years. They tell me they do not need to be re certified.
They are a big operation and have been around for years. Look them up. Give them a call.

Staff Captain-Maple Bay Yacht Club
1990 3288 "Allure" w/150 hino x 2
2004 Campion 622 fish killing machine "Knucklebuster", 150 yammy 4 stroke

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 01 Oct 2017 15:06 #8

• Boyd
  • Thank you received: 5
I retired from one of the 3 major US retail propane distribution companies a little over a year ago after 38 years in the business. Propane containers are built following one of two regulatory codes: ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) or DOT (Department of Transportation). Most but not all portable containers ( i.e. "cylinders") are manufactured according to DOT regs. Similarly the vast majority (but not all) stationary containers ("tanks") such as those seen at homes and businesses are constructed to ASME standards. Among other things, DOT containers require an OPD ( Overfill Protection Device) and must be recertified 12 years from the date of manufacture and periodically after that. There are a few different methods of recertification (visual, hydrostatic, water jacket) and the method used determines the period it is good for. The easiest, cheapest and most cost effective method is visual which is good for 5 years.

All typical vertical propane cylinders are built to DOT specs and therefore fall under recertification requirements. Horizontal portable cylinders can be built under either regulation. The easiest way to determine which rules apply is to look at the specs on the data plate (cylinder stamps/markings). If there is a "cloverleaf" stamp it is an ASME container and is not subject to formal periodic inspection and marking. If no cloverleaf exists there will be a marking such as "4B240", "4BA240", "4E240" ( there are other similar designations) and you're looking at a DOT cylinder. "DOT" should also be plainly visible in the markings.

My 1996 4087 has a horizontal 10# (roughly 2 gallon) ASME container that is mounted in the fiberglass locker located on the aft deck.

Hope this is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nemisis

"Why Naut"
1996 Bayliner 4087
Twin Cummings 6BTA5.9M2
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Boyd.

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 02 Oct 2017 16:51 #9

• jwagner
  • Thank you received: 7
I'll be filling my propane tank in the near future. Anyone know of a station near Gig Harbor that would handle the same style of tank?

"Scandia Lady"
1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
Westshore Marina
Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
Greater Puget Sound
*1992 Ski Nautique
351 Ford
Lake Tapps, WA

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 03 Oct 2017 14:39 #10

• Boyd

jwagner wrote: I'll be filling my propane tank in the near future. Anyone know of a station near Gig Harbor that would handle the same style of tank?

Anyone properly trained in propane cylinder fill procedures should be able to help you. I would Google "propane fill Gig Harbor Washington".

"Why Naut"
1996 Bayliner 4087
Twin Cummings 6BTA5.9M2
Anacortes, WA

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 04 Oct 2017 00:37 #11

• fighterpilot
  • Thank you received: 1
In my search I noted the 3788 has propane stove. Don't you worry about propane gas leaking and filling the bilges? Even gasoline powered boats cause me concern, hence my search for only diesel powered boats. I have had motorhomes over the last 40 years so have some experience with propane in vehicles, but in a boat. I don't know.

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 04 Oct 2017 15:35 #12

• Boyd

fighterpilot wrote: In my search I noted the 3788 has propane stove. Don't you worry about propane gas leaking and filling the bilges? Even gasoline powered boats cause me concern, hence my search for only diesel powered boats. I have had motorhomes over the last 40 years so have some experience with propane in vehicles, but in a boat. I don't know.

Propane can be safely installed and used on a boat without concern of leaking vapor settling and collecting in low places provided all related codes and regulations governing the installation are followed. Among other things care must be taken that the tank storage locker is located outside the cabin above the waterline, is vented overboard to allow any fugitive vapors to safely escape and that fuel flow to the cabin is controlled by an intrinsically safe manual solenoid shutoff valve. Consult a marine professional if there are concerns or questions about an onboard propane system.

"Why Naut"
1996 Bayliner 4087
Twin Cummings 6BTA5.9M2
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Boyd.

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 04 Oct 2017 21:39 #13

• W8N4SUN
  • Away
After using the stove, we always make sure to shut the tank valve, breaker panel and solenoid switch. That's 3 points of contact to ensure we don't have an accidental propane leak into the cabin.

2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
Seattle, WA

How to fill a horizontal propane tank on the flying bridge for a 3388-Bayliner 04 Oct 2017 22:03 #14

• shastabro
  • Bayliner 3288 1991
Suggest buying and installing a propane detector

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds